It's been a very long time..I miss Payon - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

It's been a very long time..I miss Payon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 ryuubi

ryuubi

I am New.

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

I haven't played the game for ages. But lately while sitting infront of my desk at work I thought of ....payon. Good memories were made there. I don't plan to play the game hardcore like those years because it was grinding day in and day out. Hardcore grinding.... So this time around I hope that they upgraded or fixed some aspect for the game. I want to play again but this time getting to 99 then trans is not the goal since I lost my account anyways...I want to ...do main story quests. That way because of my schedule I don't have to be forced or pressured to do something and just follow the quests. Back then I didn't even know what the story was about other than some events that I took part in. Like what role does my character play in RO? I hope that by now that RO have some story that I can follow. Since this is a new account I want to create a new character and focus more on the development of my character instead of mindlessly getting to the cap level. So my question is when I start the game*downloading atm* will I be entrusted to some NPC that gives relevant quests? or do I just figure everything out on my own like...decades ago? If there is a guide or something about the main story quests thats out there please link me so I use it as reference.

Thanks..and I'm sure you guys get a handful of similar posts like this but I look forward to trying the game again. With some guides and tips I'd really appreciate it.

#2 Rapralph

Rapralph

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationGotham City
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

There are lots of new stories in RO now since renewal updates.
Job change quest, instances and lots of more.

Instance  is the mainstream here in renewal. Please check the link and finish all those instances, I will guarantee you those are pretty good stories, but you must reach the third job and level 160+ to experience all those instances and stories.

#3 Dronin

Dronin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

Well, if you're hoping for a storyline somewhat similar in content/richness to that of Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda, then I'd hate to tell you the truth of the matter and let you down. Most MMO's never have a storyline as good as single player games like the ones I mentioned though, so that's not a fair comparison really. But IMHO (and I've been with RO since beta days) not much has changed in regards to the way quests are given. You have to hunt them down. There are new story elements introduced with each chapter installment, but to go all the way, you will have to level passed lv 99. There are plenty of quests and Instances, but you'll have to find them. Nothing is guided or linear in gameplay. There are definitely some storylines and interesting plots to to delve into, but it's always felt like more of an obstacle or chore to me, rather than something enjoyable to entertain me on the side while playing. Don't let me discourage though, you may have a more enchanting experience than I if you give it a fair chance.

#4 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:28 PM

No, RO is not a story based quest mmorpg. Not even a quest based mmorpg. You can do quest with stories though but you'll need a decent level to do most of them. Just look them up on irowiki under quests. The developer of the game focused mainly and made RO an instance mmorpg. There you will get some stories but as I have said you need a decent level for that.

Story of Sarah Irine, Magical Tournament, Sakray's Past, The Old GH, Faceworm, Airship Invasion, and the recent updates are parts of the manhwa. I may forget some though.

Level req is from 99-160.

Edited by VModCinnamon, 12 July 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#5 ryuubi

ryuubi

I am New.

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

Not the type of responses I was looking for. :sob:

After all these years they still haven't done any improvements with the main story quests? People told me to just go play tree of saturated but I kinda wanted to play with something that I'm familiar with. When it comes to story-line quests..Final Fantasy 14 and Guild Wars 2 did it right. Even when I check out the videos of Tree of Sauerkraut they look like they have MSQs too. Why RO? WHY?! I'll give it a shot..atleast until lvl 40 see if anything changes. :yawn:

Edited by ryuubi, 12 July 2017 - 08:03 PM.

#6 ChaoticRK

ChaoticRK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3228 posts
  • Locationprt_fild08

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

RO is old, they would need to redo the game if they want it story-based. Even the manhwa has died and will never be continued so most likely no more Chaos, Loki, Iris, Fenrir, Lydia, Sarah on RO seing that the recent update is if I'm not mistaken the last chapter of the manhwa.

#7 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

There's story quests scattered all over the place.

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Arc_Quests

They're set up like puzzle pieces that you have to put the stories together yourself, so it's not a hand-holding experience like other MMOs. If you like collecting clues and piecing the stories together, you'll have some fun trying to solve everything. If you're used to having the game tell you where to go exactly, well, you're not going to have a good time.

#8 ryuubi

ryuubi

I am New.

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

There's story quests scattered all over the place.

http://irowiki.org/wiki/Arc_Quests

They're set up like puzzle pieces that you have to put the stories together yourself, so it's not a hand-holding experience like other MMOs. If you like collecting clues and piecing the stories together, you'll have some fun trying to solve everything. If you're used to having the game tell you where to go exactly, well, you're not going to have a good time.

I think you're confusing main story quests to side story quests. After checking out that link you gave me I've confirmed that RO have no msq but rather it's built on many major ssq that you call "arcs". I've played many games that don't spoon feed you the story but they do have MSQ. It's linear and even if we had to go out of our way to figure out how to get the next quests we still get to follow through with the main scenario. RO does not have this. The arcs are just scenarios for that specific time frame..that's it. It's like dynasty warriors.. play as a hero from the shu kingdom. You understand the story as you play as that character but that character only lived to a specific time until he/she died and this shuts down their biography. Their story finished. This is how RO is. With each of those arcs its like a little story of "SOMETHING ELSE" and not really ABOUT YOU and how you came to be there. ON THE OTHER HAND if you play the empire version of the game its basically you building the kingdom so you'll be there for the long ride. The story is built around you directly or indirectly-like the mute heroes in Final Fantasy 14.

#9 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

I think you're confusing main story quests to side story quests. After checking out that link you gave me I've confirmed that RO have no msq but rather it's built on many major ssq that you call "arcs". I've played many games that don't spoon feed you the story but they do have MSQ. It's linear and even if we had to go out of our way to figure out how to get the next quests we still get to follow through with the main scenario. RO does not have this. The arcs are just scenarios for that specific time frame..that's it. It's like dynasty warriors.. play as a hero from the shu kingdom. You understand the story as you play as that character but that character only lived to a specific time until he/she died and this shuts down their biography. Their story finished. This is how RO is. With each of those arcs its like a little story of "SOMETHING ELSE" and not really ABOUT YOU and how you came to be there. ON THE OTHER HAND if you play the empire version of the game its basically you building the kingdom so you'll be there for the long ride. The story is built around you directly or indirectly-like the mute heroes in Final Fantasy 14.

In that regard, the closest you'll get is Episode 12 onward where you track down Satan Morocc. RO's world is made up of different regions and each of those regions have their own story to tell. The lack of an overarching main story is what gives the game an open world feel. You choose which stories you want to be part of instead of having the game pick a story for you to follow. This way, every player's experience of RO is different, giving the game more replay value than if you just have everyone go through the same narrative experience.

#10 OBBO

OBBO

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, I agree this can be advantage as well as disadvantage of RO.

In story-based game like Tee O Es which spoon-fed me its story, I often fell asleep countless time. This type wouldn't be my favorite.

Haven't tried RO2 Final Fantasy 14 (No I didn't type that, the forum autocorrected my word, OTL) I think it maybe very different. Though, as OP said, me too like to play games I'm familiar with.

I watched RO review video made by RPGFanatic long time ago. He said player-base expects quest-centered-design and some kind of stories that entertain.

Wether it's true or not, I think it's the fact that normal people always look for something different than sitting still with the same game for years.

In my honest opinion, many quests like Rachel Santuary or Nameless Entrance (and much more) are quite more obstacles for me than entertainment. Not only the rewards aren't worth, I always had very high chance to die and lose 3% while repeatedly pressing Enter key to skip those long talking dialogues.

Pieces of story that maybe for you might be those instance dungeons updated since the update named "Hero's Trail".

Spoiler

Edited by OBBO, 14 July 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#11 mungmungah

mungmungah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLikely to be in bed, if not on my way out of debt
  • Server:Thor

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

I liked the story of kiel hyre academy quest. There's lots of reference to that guy Rekenbecker or smth in many quests (rachel shrine, verus, etc) so i think there's some sort of story there butttt I'm too lazy to put the pieces together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users