352 replies to this topic

#1 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

As some of you have noticed we announced our plans to open a new world to accommodate player population on RESTART. Now why, the server is right now reaching the maximum of what it can handle in terms of character activity. Yes we are aware that this is in part due to a large number of automated characters. But the fact still remains that its reaching that point and we have to address that to allow users to play. There is a need to provide stable service now not in a month or a few weeks. Right now having to reboot the server every couple days is not sustainable for us or the player population.

We are not giving up on cracking down on the third party program or botting problem, however there is no quick fix to the botting situation, as each version of Ragnarok is it's own unique build. That means that any anti cheat/anti bot solution must under go its own implementation/testing process. Ours is underway but it will take time to reach us. Frigg is not meant to exist as its own world forever and we plan to merge it into Odin in about 5-6 months if not sooner once Odin has stabilized. Afterwards Frigg will become a fresh start server that feeds new players to Odin on a set cycle.

All players that join is regardless of if they end up playing on Odin or Frigg are part of the same Ragnarok RESTART family and will be treated as such.

Now we want to keep it to a normal civil discussion.

What are your concerns regarding these plans?

#2 Ardelle

Ardelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNiflheim
  • Server:Odin

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Ahh, this is a much better idea than what I was thinking. Once Frigg has opened will Odin still be available to make characters on for new accounts or will new players have to filter through Frigg first?

#3 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Ahh, this is a much better idea than what I was thinking. Once Frigg has opened will Odin still be available to make characters on for new accounts or will new players have to filter through Frigg first?

Players will have the choice to create characters on Odin or Frigg,

#4 senpa1

senpa1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

so we should just play frigg to farm some god pieces? 

how about mvp cards, mini boss cards, and god pieces (or woe altogether) don't drop on frigg? shouldn't be able to xfer high value items on a server with less competition

Edited by senpa1, 20 July 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#5 DemiGod

DemiGod

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

As some of you have noticed we announced our plans to open a new world to accommodate player population on RESTART. Now why, the server is right now reaching the maximum of what it can handle in terms of character activity. Yes we are aware that this is in part due to a large number of automated characters. But the fact still remains that its reaching that point and we have to address that to allow users to play. There is a need to provide stable service now not in a month or a few weeks. Right now having to reboot the server every couple days is not sustainable for us or the player population.

We are not giving up on cracking down on the third party program or botting problem, however there is no quick fix to the botting situation, as each version of Ragnarok is it's own unique build. That means that any anti cheat/anti bot solution must under go its own implementation/testing process. Ours is underway but it will take time to reach us. Frigg is not meant to exist as its own world forever and we plan to merge it into Odin in about 5-6 months if not sooner once Odin has stabilized. Afterwards Frigg will become a fresh start server that feeds new players to Odin on a set cycle.

All players that join is regardless of if they end up playing on Odin or Frigg are part of the same Ragnarok RESTART family and will be treated as such.

Now we want to keep it to a normal civil discussion.

What are your concerns regarding these plans?

What are the plans on mvp cards and items as well as god item pieces in woe? This server will become a second server for mvping that people will just transfer the loot to Odin from.

#6 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

so we should just play frigg to farm some god pieces? 

Very strongly considering disabling piece /MVP card drops on Frigg. We don't want another Iris or Ygg farm situation.

#7 Ardelle

Ardelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNiflheim

Players will have the choice to create characters on Odin or Frigg,

So Frigg is essentially there to help congestion in the lower levels. Sounds like a decent enough idea, although I would suggest adding a warning to the login screen detailing that Frigg characters will merge into Odin on a set schedule, so people aren't caught off guard.

#8 Pixelakaroxi

Pixelakaroxi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationPoland / Morroc / Alde

My concern is. If you plan on merging those later on.... what makes you think Frigg wont hit a 4k peak population of bots? It sounds like a good motivation for botters to actually bot even more just on two servers now, doesnt it? Since they will get their stuff merged sooner or later.

Correct me if I got something wrong here or played myself

#9 senpa1

senpa1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 825 posts

Very strongly considering disabling piece drops on Frigg. We don't want another Iris or Ygg farm situation.

that's good

#10 Zangeon

Zangeon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

how are you going to stop the bots from flooding the new servers and effectively having two maps to farm from to destroy the economy 6-7 months down the road when the merger happens?

#11 Gichi

Gichi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Afterwards Frigg will become a fresh start server that feeds new players to Odin on a set cycle" what does this mean? frigg will reset on a daily basis forcing users to move to odin?

#12 Spoon

Spoon

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Congrats, now you will have 2 servers with 3k bots

#13 superpandas

superpandas

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 81 posts

Why do u have to merge it? How can the players from new server compete with older server??

#14 Ardelle

Ardelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNiflheim

Very strongly considering disabling piece /MVP card drops on Frigg. We don't want another Iris or Ygg farm situation.

Disable MVP card drops as well, would be my suggestion.

#15 RemiRemi

RemiRemi

I am New.

• New Members
  • 6 posts

WoE only available on Odin Server.

No Woe on Frigg. 

Dont Split the competition scene. you can split everything else and cut down the best feature (high population), but dont mess that one.

#16 Easly

Easly

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1716 posts
  • Server:ymir/valk

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

Why is odin reaching capacity at around 4k players, while others are running decently with double that? Do the number of bots actually impact performance that heavily?

Why does it make more sense to open a new server than to keep adding additional hardware to what's already up?

#17 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

My concern is. If you plan on merging those later on.... what makes you think Frigg wont hit a 4k peak population of bots? It sounds like a good motivation for botters to actually bot even more just on two servers now, doesnt it? Since they will get their stuff merged sooner or later.

Correct me if I got something wrong here or played myself

At the very least it will force them to spread out their resources instead of focusing it on a single server like they are now. Eventually we will get that anti bot solution and hopefully it will stabilize. But it will be better than the current all bots all players on a single server problem we have now.

#18 senpa1

senpa1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 825 posts

No Woe on Frigg. 

Dont Split the competition scene. you can split everything else and cut down the best feature (high population), but dont mess that one.

^

#19 hoshhosh0

hoshhosh0

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Frigg is not meant to exist as its own world forever and we plan to merge it into Odin in about 5-6 months if not sooner once Odin has stabilized. Afterwards Frigg will become a fresh start server that feeds new players to Odin on a set cycle.

are your korean overlords not giving the go ahead for your server upgrade funds and budget or something? I'd rather just nip the problem in the bud rather than all these roundabout measures that don't actually address the issue at hand

#20 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

You're going to spread the population too thin. People stopped playing other servers because there were more bots than humans ( along with other things). There definitely aren't too many (human) players on the server right now... hell, back in 2003 you had at least twice the amount of people online at a given time. And I see many problems when you try to merge the servers in the future.

#21 DrunkenBear

DrunkenBear

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

How about the treasure/god items Camp? I'm pretty sure, "some guild" will abuse the -_- out of it. 

edit : Aight, just saw your post

Edited by DrunkenBear, 20 July 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#22 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

Afterwards Frigg will become a fresh start server that feeds new players to Odin on a set cycle" what does this mean? frigg will reset on a daily basis forcing users to move to odin?

It would mean all characters from Frigg would be transferred to Odin after a set period of time on a schedule.

#23 Tanzanito

Tanzanito

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

No Woe on Frigg. 

This + Not MvP Cards dropping would be 10/10. 

Farming empty server is a pretty serious issue that seriously hinders the post-merge competitivity.

#24 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

This really needs to happen or it's just another free farm server.

Also hoping merges are actually done in a timely manner and not forgotten about.

I am still concerned this does nothing to fix the current lag on Odin and players will eventually quit over that.

#25 diluted41

diluted41

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

how are you guys going to stabilize Odin? Why is upgrading the server max not an option? 6k players on a server= never because it's not possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users