Frigg Server and the Reasons Why - Page 3 - Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Frigg Server and the Reasons Why

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
352 replies to this topic

#51 hoshhosh0

hoshhosh0

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Firstly, thats pretty rude.

Secondly its not a matter of hardware but rather a limitation of the server software itself at this moment. We can throw more hardware at it but it won't have too much more effect. We need to reduce the traffic the character and interconnection servers are experiencing.

The problem isn't the number of users but that activity that they are generating. The servers could handle many more characters if everyone just constantly sat still in Prontera.

Is it not possible to use the same stuff that your thai, ph and indonesian counterparts are using that allows them to handle 15-40k of concurrent users? also I referred to gravity as korean overlords because I assume they are the one overseeing big decisions like this.

I think at this point, given how much controversy Frigg attracts, it'd be better to consider safer alternatives (i.e. no Frigg) than to make this big decision and regret it later when you risk ruining the most popular and biggest Western server in the decade. personally it's not a gamble i'd undertake, especially if I am answerable to shareholders

#52 Ryuuz0

Ryuuz0

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Re:Start

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

I dont know if this is possible, but why you dont do this :

You let Frigg use the same database like Odin that means:

They are sharing the same database , everyone char is on Frigg as well

Example:

I level on Odin my Hunter from 80 to 83, and see that i get heavy laggs switching on Frigg and continue with lvl 83 Hunter

Woe Times: Since u can play on both servers with the same char , you will only activate woe on one server.

Wouldnt this work?

#53 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

just one question, is it posible that both servers have the same character and database in a manner that it doesnt matter where you log you can play and level the same character in any server (to split population load).

another thing, just make sure that you assure and never back down that: " FRIGGS WILL NEVER GET WOE" that way you wont end up with 2 servers and the merges wont be broken.

I theorized a shared character DB as a possibility. The IT guy's eyes rolled into the back of his head and he got really nervous. From what I could gather if the server software was written to expect such a system. It would be fine. But RO's just hasn't been,

#54 Kryz

Kryz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationFrance

So are you sure the anti-bot system will be ready before the merge occurs? if not this is the worst idea ever, like a 6 months harakiri for your servers 

#55 MalakGalthana

MalakGalthana

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

As some of you have noticed we announced our plans to open a new world to accommodate player population on RESTART. Now why, the server is right now reaching the maximum of what it can handle in terms of character activity. Yes we are aware that this is in part due to a large number of automated characters. But the fact still remains that its reaching that point and we have to address that to allow users to play. There is a need to provide stable service now not in a month or a few weeks. Right now having to reboot the server every couple days is not sustainable for us or the player population.

We are not giving up on cracking down on the third party program or botting problem, however there is no quick fix to the botting situation, as each version of Ragnarok is it's own unique build. That means that any anti cheat/anti bot solution must under go its own implementation/testing process. Ours is underway but it will take time to reach us. Frigg is not meant to exist as its own world forever and we plan to merge it into Odin in about 5-6 months if not sooner once Odin has stabilized. Afterwards Frigg will become a fresh start server that feeds new players to Odin on a set cycle.

All players that join is regardless of if they end up playing on Odin or Frigg are part of the same Ragnarok RESTART family and will be treated as such.

Now we want to keep it to a normal civil discussion.

What are your concerns regarding these plans?

Camp,

Have you thought about making Odin a server that players have to utilize a manual transfer process to get their characters over to from Frigg?  Meaning all characters start off on Frigg server (disable new char creation on Odin), and once they hit lvl xx they can move to Odin by filling out an app that couldnt really be automated?  That would force a few things:

• New players will ALWAYS have people to play with and get a better overall new player experience
  • Botters will have to go through a giant pain in the ass to get chars over to Odin and the bot population ON Odin would be easily targeted for removal.
  • Higher level players can gain the benefits of cleaner "End Episode" content that cant get botted to hell that easily

#56 Ardelle

Ardelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNiflheim
  • Server:Odin

Channeling would take longer than the current process of implementing an anti bot system. As far as I know RO has never had a proper channeling system. We would still run into the limitations of the Character and Interconnection servers being overwhelmed.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you. I don't think it would be a bad thing to look into in the future with the Korean team though. How do they balance the high populations on their servers? I hear they average 10k+? (Just curious)

As an aside, are you open to accepting ideas for more temporary solutions to the bots in the interim? I have a few, and I'm not sure how feasible they would be, but they seem fairly simple in my mind. Of course I'm not a dev, though. 

#57 Tanzanito

Tanzanito

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Server:Chaos

I mean, enable WoE on Frigg server, who cares, let them have the regular drops but mvp cards and god items are a bad idea to drop. We don't want to end with another Ymir/Iris server with a extremely stacked guild that farmed an empty server completely unbalancing the merged server.

We already saw that won't work so let's not repeat history.

Edited by Tanzanito, 20 July 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#58 diluted41

diluted41

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

image.jpg

#59 Tanzanito

Tanzanito

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

Is it not possible to use the same stuff that your thai, ph and indonesian counterparts are using that allows them to handle 15-40k of concurrent users? also I referred to gravity as korean overlords because I assume they are the one overseeing big decisions like this

Those servers are handled by a completely different (and bigger) company called eXe

#60 Spoon

Spoon

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1072 posts

I mean, enable WoE on Frigg server, who cares, let them have the regular drops but mvp cards and god items are a bad idea to drop. But we don't want to end with another Ymir/Iris server with a extremely stacked guild that farmed an empty server completely unbalancing the merged server.

We already saw that won't work so let's not repeat history.

Way2repeat the same things that have been said a few times, here is a participation trophy

#61 Pixelakaroxi

Pixelakaroxi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationPoland / Morroc / Alde

A shared DB of characters and 2 realms would basically provide you with 2x the mvp spawn. Oh I didnt get the item here, lemme see if the boss is alive on Friggs.

Not good. Glad that is not possible.

#62 Balmonde

Balmonde

I am New.

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

Another thing is. I just spent 7 days of my life grinding my stuff on Odin and leveling my characters.

Why would I wanna repeat that now on Frigg? Im missing the reward part. Unless the reward is Id get to play without lags for 2 weeks before bots come up again.

Sorry but the Bots will join in the second if you can choose the new server. Its no probs to run 2 or more Bots with 1 click today. So there is no point to open a new server. You will have on both server 2-3k Bots without protection....

Edited by Balmonde, 20 July 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#63 meli

meli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2688 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Would you consider Frigg server to have higher exp rates than Odin? Because it's honestly not appealing to play a server with nerfed drops, same bots, and a less active market due to a lower population.

#64 Pixelakaroxi

Pixelakaroxi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Sorry but the Bots will join in the second if you can choose the new server. Its no probs to run 2 or more Bots with 1 click today. So there is no point to open a new server.

Thats the whole point of my comments?

#65 Kryz

Kryz

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

The solution is simple, fix Odin. Create anti-bots alternatives, don't open a new server that gives double the chance for botters and then collapse under the numbers when the merge ocurrs and you have double the number of bots in one server

#66 tripokey

tripokey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

im 2000% sure you will lose alot of real players when you put this new server on

#67 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Would you consider Frigg server to have higher exp rates than Odin? Because it's honestly not appealing to play a server with nerfed drops, same bots, and a less active market due to a lower population.

At this time? No. But as a long term fresh start server bonus when Odin is more mature it would be something to consider.

#68 puddingmilktea

puddingmilktea

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Frigg is going to be empty save for tryhards taking advantage of the nonexistent competition on mini-bosses/MVPs.  Even though MVP cards won't drop they will still farm any highly coveted equips. Regular players would never have any reason to make a character on Frigg because they probably have a lot of stuff in storage to utilize to leverage the early leveling grind.  So that leaves brand new players (who would be more drawn towards the higher population of Odin anyway) and not-so-new players solely farming anything on a timer.  Oh, and bots.  Those will probably farm the lower level mini-bosses, like Dragon Fly (Clips for days).  Doesn't sound that great.

#69 senpa1

senpa1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 825 posts

Frigg should be pvm exclusive and not have WoE at all.

20 castles worth of loot will inflate Odin, even without god pieces. Especially if competition on the "starter/lower pop" server is scarce. 

Edited by senpa1, 20 July 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#70 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

The solution is simple, fix Odin. Create anti-bots alternatives, don't open a new server that gives double the chance for botters and then collapse under the numbers when the merge ocurrs and you have double the number of bots in one server

The server executables are all handled by the game studio. They are working on getting us an anti bot solution but it takes time.

#71 ultrahiangle12

ultrahiangle12

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

disable woe to prevent castle farming.

#72 iSylph

iSylph

I am New.

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

disable woe on frigg please.

#73 Pixelakaroxi

Pixelakaroxi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

Well. My final comment:

I was so effing excited to see a server with 4-5k characters on again. Everyone partyinf together, flooded cities, just awesome. Screw it if a lot of them are bots. Thats another story. And now that im facing a perspective of another server with a population kinda like Chaos is nowadays, it just feels meh. I dont wanna grind anymore.

Listen. Start a gofundme campaign to upgrade the hardware or something and I will personally throw in a grand for this.

#74 Balmonde

Balmonde

I am New.

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Maybe you should wipe Odin with the arive of the new anti bot syste or open the new Server with that anti bot system. So you can have a healthy market

#75 BestOneHere

BestOneHere

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Gotta love the irony of the group of people wanting WoE to be released on Odin so they can farm castles ... but are worried Frigg will be farmed  :hmm:

Frigg will be great. :thx:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users