Login Server Issues, What to do if you think something happened, and what were doing. - Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Login Server Issues, What to do if you think something happened, and what were doing.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
164 replies to this topic

#1 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

What happened:

So long story short, it looks like the game server was DDOS'd today. Which unfortunately caused some major stress on the login server and then caused the issues experienced by users.

This is not normal behavior for the login servers servers and although yes it was under extreme stress it will be fixed. We right now have mitigation in place to help address the attack for now. The game server is currently up and running but there may be disconnection issues and future events should the attack escalate. 

What you should do:

Now if you think something is missing from your account please ticket into the gm team for assistant. They will do their level best to assist you at https://support.warpportal.com

What were doing:

We're documenting everything thats happened, the stress on the server, the lag, and were staying late to meet with the studio. Were going to be pushing them to provide a stronger server software tonight or ASAP and were not leaving until we know when it will be delivered.

We will also be monitoring the servers for signs of stress and restarting it as needed.

Lastly once everything is stabilized we will be doing a compensation event consisting of two parts.

1. 7 Day Free VIP Time added to every user who has purchased VIP since the server has opened.

2. 4 Day VIP weekend where any user can login and claim VIP (Some restrictions apply for steam users. But they will still get their 4 days of VIP)

If you used item mall consumables and didn't get the full effect ticket in and the GMs will do right by you. 

#2 Sharifa

Sharifa

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

*We're

#3 Darkeshi

Darkeshi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

you can play restart on steam?

#4 Pixelakaroxi

Pixelakaroxi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationPoland / Morroc / Alde
  • Server:Odin

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Hi Camp.

I sense a LOT of distress in your post. Take it easy. Some ^_^ DDOS'ed the game, sucks, not your fault.

Glad to also see a lot of motivation to make it right, keep it up buddy.

#5 v0xv1

v0xv1

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

you can play restart on steam?

Yes.
Steam website:
http://store.steampo...gnarok_RESTART/

#6 Panteperu

Panteperu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Server:Ragnarok Transcendence

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

Thank you for your hard work, we really appreciate it. Most of complainers are people who doesnt know how it is to handle a server.
I have hopes the lag problem will be solved within this week.
If i can request something, please set the clock tower high orcs map with its own server. That would make almost every 60+ player very happy. Thank you

Edited by Panteperu, 24 July 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#7 Wyrade

Wyrade

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Hi Camp.

I sense a LOT of distress in your post. Take it easy. Some ^_^ DDOS'ed the game, sucks, not your fault.

Glad to also see a lot of motivation to make it right, keep it up buddy.

The DDOS is not their fault indeed, but several things before that is or might be - not sure how much Campitor (and other admins?) is actually allowed to do or change on their own, and even though heavily limiting their own mainGM is shooting themselves in the leg, that might still be what's happening.

Regardless, I'm still patiently waiting for a proper anti-bot shield and lag fix in general. But the game is completely unplayable at the moment, at least the maps where my chars are.

Edited by Wyrade, 24 July 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#8 Vienna

Vienna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationiROWiki.org Admin
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

Honest question: I have a rental mount I've been unable to really use since I can't play in this lag. Do I get any compensation for it =\

#9 Ardelle

Ardelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNiflheim

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Thank you Campitor. Please try not to stress yourself out too much. We'd hate for anything to happen to you as a result of all this work.

#10 Sairek

Sairek

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/SairekCeareste
  • LocationCanad(i)a

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for the update Camp. I don't envy your position right now but please try to take it easy.

Also thank you for the compensation. I know you guys realistically don't have to give compensation, which is why it's appreciated.

#11 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

POPULAR

why don't you just shut the -_- server down and open it when you're competent? I'm usually completely against swearing at the staff or not trying to be tolerant of the issues and the negativity on the forums is overwhelmingly bad! But I really can't see how this has been such a goddamn mess from day 1. 

The server wasn't even properly promoted, opened in a hurry, no bot protection (which we know exists, just get the encryption already!), ridiculous lag issues, a login server that logs people on to other accounts and your staff clearly weren't prepared even for the lets say max 2000 real players that came back (lets face it nobody is new), over a week turn around time on tickets and the game is just unplayable. 

If you're going to damage your already failing servers even further by introducing something new, at least take the time to do it right. There's no excuses now, especially if you're getting content from the REVO-Classic makers who don't seem to be having half these problems with 3x the population?

I want to play and give you guys money but holy -_- you make it so hard.

#12 SmoshySmosh

SmoshySmosh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:SmoshySmosh
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

why don't you just shut the -_- server down and open it when you're competent? I'm usually completely against swearing at the staff or not trying to be tolerant of the issues and the negativity on the forums is overwhelmingly bad! But I really can't see how this has been such a goddamn mess from day 1. 

The server wasn't even properly promoted, opened in a hurry, no bot protection (which we know exists, just get the encryption already!), ridiculous lag issues, a login server that logs people on to other accounts and your staff clearly weren't prepared even for the lets say max 2000 real players that came back (lets face it nobody is new), over a week turn around time on tickets and the game is just unplayable. 

If you're going to damage your already failing servers even further by introducing something new, at least take the time to do it right. There's no excuses now, especially if you're getting content from the REVO-Classic makers who don't seem to be having half these problems with 3x the population?

I agree with this. Take the time to do it right or don't do it at all.

#13 VimaDias

VimaDias

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

Thanks, Camp, for this herculean effort! And good luck with the Studio tonight! :)

#14 Giafone

Giafone

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

another memo to myelf to not play the new server.... btw classic crashed too, can we have free vip too, k thx ;D

#15 rpgfanguy

rpgfanguy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom, England, Finchingfield.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

I'm not sure on how you have the server's overall setup in regards to login/>/Char>/Map. I know you've split the map server multiple times and shared the maps via a string of different server's to lighten the load, but this seems to of been something that has been happening to the account_db on multiple event's through the servers eventual live release, I've seen this reported a lot now. 

Considering the aftermath i believe it's really in everyone's best interest if the login server is also split but to lighten the load itself from an incoming attack. I do however have insight on this issue:

- "Map server gets bombarded" 
- "causes huge lag spikes on character server and login which shortly go offline due to the stress"

Solution: Create a check that takes place on map server that not only ignores false packets but also shuts down the character/login serv, prior, to prevent damage of this kind upon detecting any type of attack of this nature.
Like this we have the map server being attacked but forwarding the warning over back to the char, and char back to login. There really is no reason it cannot work in reverse.

#16 Helios0

Helios0

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2425 posts
  • Server:Chaos (Yggdrasil☻RIP)

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

DDOS attacks used to happen allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time back in the day usually after mass ban waves or after a big spender was finally caught botting..  eventually their tantrums would subside and they'd give up and stop the DDOS attacks.. i assume.

however..

In my opinion.. I fear the concept  of DDOS attacks being used to extort and justify compensation rewards like VIP where botters now have the ability to TRIPPLE their bot account capacity going from 3 character slots to 9...

Tread carefully..

Edited by Helios0, 24 July 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#17 SeriouslyCiri

SeriouslyCiri

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

Thank you Camp!

#18 Wyrade

Wyrade

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

another memo to myelf to not play the new server.... btw classic crashed too, can we have free vip too, k thx ;D

A LOT more is happening here than just a simple server crash.

#19 Blueness

Blueness

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

So wait, the servers have been running like crap for almost three weeks, and those of us who paid for VIP are only getting 7 days back?

As posted above, rental mounts should be compensated, as should gum/manuals that have been wasted due to not being able to play when it is too laggy.

#20 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

Be nice! #ez xD

Everytime when I am determined to stop supporting this game, Camp's statements always make me think twice lmfao

Edit: Also, Chaos welcomes you. Dont worry. Classic and Private server players cant ruin Renewal Chaos #Justice!

Edited by ChakriGuard, 24 July 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#21 Shanedude

Shanedude

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Lets not ask for compensation. 

Lets ask for bot issue to be fixed. #1 issue. Priority.

#22 Blueness

Blueness

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

Lets not ask for compensation. 

Lets ask for bot issue to be fixed. #1 issue. Priority.

I'm sorry, but if you're paying for a service, you expect to get that service. 

The bot issue is secondary to actually having people being able to play the game.

Edited by Blueness, 24 July 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#23 diluted41

diluted41

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

What part of they are working on the bot issue did y'all not get... bunch of crap threads all damn day. Exercise some patience

#24 Amongluttony

Amongluttony

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1649 posts
  • Server:Elitists player

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

lol what?! are you guys seriously? for real?

only 7 Days of VIP for 1 whole month of nothing but lag and maintenances over and over?

and not just that but players saying "Oh dont worry is ok, take your time" Hahahahahaha, sorry maybe i dont get the sarcasm, so you guys are thinking like "oh we can handle this lag for a few days" hahaha.yeah "days".

#25 Vienna

Vienna

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationiROWiki.org Admin
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

What part of they are working on the bot issue did y'all not get... bunch of crap threads all damn day. Exercise some patience

The issue boils down to thRO and pRO launched with bot protection but we did not. Like all iRO servers, for some damned reason we've always had absolute zero protection against bots.

With every server *ever* launched, there have been bots, but this one has been beyond catastrophic. There are bots to the point the game servers (honestly, I think it's network bottle necking at this point).

We were litterally told a week in advance after people here started a hype train about pRO having a server about to open "WE GOT ONE COMING TOO, JUST WAIT!" and a "pre launch" was hastily thrown out a few days before pRO's server (with ZERO beta on iRO) just to hold onto iRO's players. It was poorly orchestrated from there about "in a week we'll have an official launch event!" where nothing new happened... Then move into a week ago when the already stressed beyond playable server was introduced to Steam.. Where steam players expected a fresh new game, and not a 3 week old server under an enormous bot attack.

It's just been a huge PR nightmare in how things have been handled.

That said, I commend Campitor for trying to get things resolved. He's pulling late days and putting time in that he shouldn't have to. I don't know if it was "the studio" that pushed this agenda on WarpPortal's time line or if it was a bad move on WP, but he's been doing his best from his position to try and remedy the problem.

The map server juggling at this point is just a horrible game of musical chairs. If you have an office that seats 6 and you have 10 people, you're not going to manage to fit all 10 in that office without a lot of uncomfortable people and none of them can do their job. That's basically how it feels the map servers are handling this situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users