July 25th Map Redistribution - Page 2 - News & Events - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

July 25th Map Redistribution

87 replies to this topic

#26 yobuduh

yobuduh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

Awesome! Quick question. When are we having the update for 2-2 classes? Are they all coming out together? Or is it coming out individually? If yes? What classes are coming out first?

#27 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

I'd bet big on your network connection being highly saturated. I know people only report lag on a few maps, but I feel like those are the only maps they go to. I was just in a random field and I was still lagging. If it's your network and all the servers are running on the same network connection, I highly doubt adding more servers is going to help, in fact it may just compound the issue. I mean, the throughput of the internet connection to your servers can only handle so much. Especially if it's not in a data center or on a fiber line.

At one point I wondered if it was me that was lagging... and then I remembered that I'm on a fiber connection. If you don't believe me, here is my speed test.

6485703610.png

Actually I compare my lag to Prontera or another map if I walk to farm somewhere else (Byalan). The lag doesn't exist everywhere.

Edit: Should state I always have 2 clients open so it's pretty easy to figure out when I'm freezing walking every second on one zone but alt to the other and have no problems.

Edited by Ambur, 25 July 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#28 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

I'd bet big on your network connection being highly saturated. I know people only report lag on a few maps, but I feel like those are the only maps they go to. I was just in a random field and I was still lagging. If it's your network and all the servers are running on the same network connection, I highly doubt adding more servers is going to help, in fact it may just compound the issue. I mean, the throughput of the internet connection to your servers can only handle so much. Especially if it's not in a data center or on a fiber line.

At one point I wondered if it was me that was lagging... and then I remembered that I'm on a fiber connection. If you don't believe me, here is my speed test.

6485703610.png

What field was it? So far everything is pointing to one piece of hardware. We assumed that the character select was causing the massive stress but moving it away has not helped it. It could be some as.. silly as the new hardware having a manufacturing defect.

#29 SmoshySmosh

SmoshySmosh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:SmoshySmosh
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

What field was it? So far everything is pointing to one piece of hardware. We assumed that the character select was causing the massive stress but moving it away has not helped it.

I was walking to moc_fild07 I believe, It was lagging on the way there and when I started killing things on the map. I also experience longer than normal freezes when I go through portals. I can see other people moving after they appear, but when I click to walk it takes like 10 seconds to register and start walking.

#30 ShekelShark

ShekelShark

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • LocationOutside Your Window
  • Server:Trans

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

Yay! Returning to capitalism!

*Playing as merchant, so no dirty thoughts*

i'm amused.

#31 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

sphinx sucks too much to level in

#32 ButWhyy

ButWhyy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Actually I compare my lag to Prontera or another map if I walk to farm somewhere else (Byalan). The lag doesn't exist everywhere.

The lag is based on which map server you are connecting to.  I'll check later today to see what the new map distribution is.  From my previous testing though there appears to be three separate IPs that their map servers are on.  The one associated with 128.241.92.134 was horrendously bad (this had sphinx/tf2/pyramid/ct/etc all on it), while the other ones were fine.  I wouldn't have expected what they did today to have changed this if they just added hardware and didn't move around which maps were associated with the IP ending in 134, which it sounds to me based on people's reports so far that they didn't.

What they likely need to do is add more IPs that the map servers are connected to from.  From my testing I only found three different IPs that the map servers were on 134,135, and 137, the 135 and 137 ones were completely fine, but the 134 one that has the vast majority of popular player maps on it and has been terrible lately.  Adding another one and splitting the current maps associated with the 134 IP might alleviate the current lag issues.  

The issue could also be as camp pointed out, something wrong with the hardware of the map server running off the 134 IP (although I would bet it's likely a traffic issue as they seem to have put so many of the popular leveling maps on that one and the problem only surfaced when they did this as many of these maps were fine before their 21st re-distribution).  You could test it by swapping the maps on the 134 IP for the ones on the 135 or 137 and see if the problem is moved to those maps.

#33 ShekelShark

ShekelShark

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • LocationOutside Your Window
  • Server:Trans

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:19 PM

6485703610.png

its about time some one did a speed test, you get a shekel.

Edited by ShekelShark, 25 July 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#34 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

The lag is based on which map server you are connecting to. 

Yeah, I wish more would understand that. Your last break down made it really easy to see the problem.  :p_laugh:

#35 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

The lag is based on which map server you are connecting to.  I'll check later today to see what the new map distribution is.  From my previous testing though there appears to be three separate IPs that their map servers are on.  The one associated with 128.241.92.134 was horrendously bad (this had sphinx/tf2/pyramid/ct/etc all on it), while the other ones were fine.  I wouldn't have expected what they did today to have changed this if they just added hardware and didn't move around which maps were associated with the IP ending in 134, which it sounds to me based on people's reports so far that they didn't.

What they likely need to do is add more IPs that the map servers are connected to from.  From my testing I only found three different IPs that the map servers were on 134,135, and 137, the 135 and 137 ones were completely fine, but the 134 one that has the vast majority of popular player maps on it and has been terrible lately.  Adding another one and splitting the current maps associated with the 134 IP might alleviate the current lag issues.  

The issue could also be as camp pointed out, something wrong with the hardware of the map server running off the 134 IP (although I would bet it's likely a traffic issue as they seem to have put so many of the popular leveling maps on that one and the problem only surfaced when they did this as many of these maps were fine before their 21st re-distribution).  You could test it by swapping the maps on the 134 IP for the ones on the 135 or 137 and see if the problem is moved to those maps.

No maps changed today. Character select was moved off onto its own. I want to try moving everything off 134 and seeing if that improve it. If it does not we could break up the maps onto more hardware on Thursday.

#36 ButWhyy

ButWhyy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

I was walking to moc_fild07 I believe, It was lagging on the way there and when I started killing things on the map. I also experience longer than normal freezes when I go through portals. I can see other people moving after they appear, but when I click to walk it takes like 10 seconds to register and start walking.

moc_fild 07 runs fine for me.  It is off the 135 IP, and I'm only getting 20-40 ms delay on it.

Tested a couple other maps to affirm my suspicions, map distribution seems unchanged  

edited since Camp affirmed that distribution is unchanged

128.241.92.134:  currently has the Sphinx map as it has the past week, horrendous lag

128.241.92.135:  has the morocc field the above user posted about, was fine for me

128.241.92.137:  still morroc town on it, and is also fine for me

Edited by ButWhyy, 25 July 2017 - 05:26 PM.

#37 Allori

Allori

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • LocationPlains of Arunafeltz
  • Server:Poring

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

TI Surface is now lagging my ass off :(

#38 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

moc_fild 07 runs fine for me.  It is off the 135 IP, and I'm only getting 20-40 ms delay on it.

Tested a couple other maps to affirm my suspicions, map distribution seems unchanged 

edited since Camp affirmed that distribution is unchanged

128.241.92.134:  currently has the Sphinx map as it has the past week, horrendous lag

128.241.92.135:  has the morocc field the above user posted about, was fine for me

128.241.92.137:  still morroc town on it, and is also fine for me

Since character select is such a high traffic process we were thinking that could have been the cause of the issue. Everyone touches it a lot while actively playing.

#39 Ryuuz0

Ryuuz0

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Server:Re:Start

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:32 PM

Campitor please fix Sphinx 4 and Sphinx 5, they are lagging really hard. Because of Sphinx level 1 and 2  they are full with bots

#40 ButWhyy

ButWhyy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:37 PM

No maps changed today. Character select was moved off onto its own. I want to try moving everything off 134 and seeing if that improve it. If it does not we could break up the maps onto more hardware on Thursday.

Good idea.  Although I would recommend just swapping all the maps on 134 with say 135 which runs fine currently.  Since you know that the map load on 135 is currently fine, if 134 performs perfectly fine and 135 becomes the laggy one after the swap then you will have a very good indication that the problem is with the number of maps you're trying to put on it instead of the underlying hardware.  If 134 continues to perform poorly and 135 is fine then you know it's almost certainly hardware related.

If you just split everything currently on 134 between 135 and 137 and one or both of them begins to perform poorly, you wont be able to eliminate the possibility that 134 has a hardware issue that was simply exacerbated by the load on it.

#41 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

Good idea.  Although I would recommend just swapping all the maps on 134 with say 135 which runs fine currently.  Since you know that the map load on 135 is currently fine, if 134 performs perfectly fine and 135 becomes the laggy one after the swap then you will have a very good indication that the problem is with the number of maps you're trying to put on it instead of the underlying hardware.  If 134 continues to perform poorly and 135 is fine then you know it's almost certainly hardware related.

If you just split everything currently on 134 between 135 and 137 and one or both of them begins to perform poorly, you wont be able to eliminate the possibility that 134 has a hardware issue that was simply exacerbated by the load on it.

I was going to move everything on 134 to a new box that was coming up today and leave 135 and 137 alone.

#42 ButWhyy

ButWhyy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

Since character select is such a high traffic process we were thinking that could have been the cause of the issue. Everyone touches it a lot while actively playing.

That makes sense, especially if it was also associated with the 134 IP, I never tested which one that was on.  At the very least moving it onto it's own hardware will likely make things a little more stable in the future even if the difference isn't very noticeable yet.  Good change.

#43 ButWhyy

ButWhyy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

I was going to move everything on 134 to a new box that was coming up today and leave 135 and 137 alone.

That's probably an even better idea and less disruptive.  Although if the current 134 box does have a hardware problem and there's also a similar hardware issue with the new box (unlikely but I always assume anything that can go wrong will) you'll think it's a load based problem instead of hardware related.

#44 Tragedy414

Tragedy414

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Still lagging terrible in Clock Tower.. Haven't tried anywhere else.

#45 senpa1

senpa1

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 825 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

Campitor please fix Sphinx 4 and Sphinx 5, they are lagging really hard. Because of Sphinx level 1 and 2  they are full with bots

that is not the reason for the lag lol

#46 Nakano15

Nakano15

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationBrazil
  • Server:Odin (RE-START)

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Uh, how can the character selection cause more traffic than the rest of the game?

Edited by Nakano15, 25 July 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#47 Tragedy414

Tragedy414

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Also-  Every single field leading to GH from Geffen stalls while walking through.. going on attempt 4 trying to just get to GH.

#48 noithebong

noithebong

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Removing those 5K bots from server makes lagg free

#49 manoelsilva6666

manoelsilva6666

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:05 AM

Removing those 5K bots from server makes lagg free

there is 5k players, I dont think there is 5k bots

#50 Shanedude

Shanedude

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

More then 50% are automated bot programs.

If every player was online at once there wouldnt be near 5k, maybe 3k tops. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users