How To: install RO/chat programs in Linux - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How To: install RO/chat programs in Linux

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 DreamerZero

DreamerZero

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDes Moines

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

This "How to" is only a simple walk through for installing Wine, the DLL files needed, and the installation of RO on Ubuntu

(www.ubuntu.com), many people that try Linux and try installing RO many run into different issues, so this thread will also serve as a Linux community help thread.

my setup:

Ubuntu 10.4 64-bit

Wine 1.1.42

HP dv6000 series laptop

Nvidia 7150m go

here we go, first off we need to install Wine, open "Synaptic Package Manager" by going to "System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager". do a search for "wine", that will bring up a few entries, but the only one we need is labelled "wine", put a check in it to install, hit apply.

once we have Wine installed we will need 2 DLL files required for Ro to run, you can get these DLL files from a WinXP disc, or you can download them from here:

mfc42.dll

and

msvcp60.dll

these files most likely ended up on your desktop, go ahead and highlight them and copy them (you can delete them afterwards) and we need to put them in the "System32" folder in the wine directory, go to "Places->Home folder" by default the .wine folder is hidden, unhide them by pressing "ctrl+H" scroll down and open ".wine->drive_c->windows->system32" and paste the DLL files in the "system32" directory.

once that is done, i was able to leave all of the wine setting at default, and was able to run RO on full screen mode, sound works, but if you need to make changes, you can open the wine configuration by going to "applications->wine->configure wine" or you can open it by typing "winecfg" in a terminal window.

we should already have the RO client downloaded on the computer, right click on the install file and select "open with other application" that will bring up a new window with a list of programs, in there select "wine windows emulator" that should start the install, install has normal, and now there should be a listing for RO under "applications->wine>programs", change your RO setting as you like, and you should be good to go.

i will update this as we go with FAQs, proven fixes and such.

Question: my fonts don't look right.

Answer: try insalling '"msttcorefonts" from your repositories.

Question: is there an alternative to using wine?

Answer: yes, a program named CrossOver is maintained by CodeWeavers, which is also the main corporate sponsor of Wine. the program can be purchased for $39.95.

Posted Image

Edited by DreamerZero, 06 August 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#2 DreamerZero

DreamerZero

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDes Moines

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Howto install Ventrilo

here is a basic walk through on setting up Ventrilo in wine. If you were able to install RO in wine, then you shouldn't have any real issues here.

download Ventrilo

right click the Ventrilo file and select â??Open with â??Wine Windows Program Loaderâ? or if you don't have that listed select â??Open with Other Applicationâ? and find Wine in that list.

Continue with the install, there is nothing special that needs to be done.

Once the install is complete you need to download msgsm32.acm (this file is the GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC, which you will need for the audio to work). Once this is downloaded you can just right click the file, copy, and paste it into the â??windowsâ? directory (/home/USER NAME/.wine/drive_c/windows). Almost done.

In the â??windowsâ? directory you should see a file named â??system.iniâ? double click that file and it should open in a text editor, under [drivers32] paste â??msacm.msgsm610=msgsm32.acmâ? (without the quotes), and you're done!

Close out of everything and open Ventrilo by going to Applications->Wine->Programs->Ventrilo and enjoy.

Native Linux alternative to Ventrilo:

http://www.mangler.org/

download your you package of choice and enjoy.

http://www.mangler.org/download/

this is an excellent find, thanks Oratorium.

Edited by DreamerZero, 06 August 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#3 DreamerZero

DreamerZero

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDes Moines

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

place holder #2

#4 KrystalFan

KrystalFan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

THIRDPOST

Seriously Though Linux Is Amazing~ I'd Play Ragnrok In Linux Except My Computer Is Too Slow To Run Even Ragnarok In Wine :U

Seriously I Tried And My Computer Nearly Died.. But I'm Running Like 380-Something Megs Of Ram >:U I Barely Run Ragnarok On XP~ XD

#5 DreamerZero

DreamerZero

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDes Moines

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

oh lord, i think that would be a little hard to run on, i have a $300 netbook that i put Linux on and RO runs in it :D

#6 Siech

Siech

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

=C i recently started playing this and i have it installed fine it runs , but a bit slow any tips

#7 DreamerZero

DreamerZero

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDes Moines

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

hmmm, i haven't really had issues like that, but the first place i would start would be the eye candy of Linux, use Compiz and if some of its effects are running then that could slow it down, multiple desktops can slow it down.... maybe check the startup applications under System->Preferences, but there will most likely be only a few things to disable there.

what are the stats on your computer? i often have a movie or music playing in the background without any issues.

#8 Siech

Siech

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

sorry for lateness :)
my comps stats :
its a sony VGN nr120e

Processor Intel pentium Dualcore T2310 146GHz
Ram 1GB
GFx card Mobile intel Gl960 express
is that all that you need?

(i run RO no Problem on vista and used to have no lag on a previous unbuntu version (i just dont know which)) :( if my old -_-y desktop can run ro np =C this should as well

Edited by Siech, 11 August 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#9 Br4nd0n

Br4nd0n

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

I'm running this fine on my 2 year old aspire one with compiz on. All maximum settings, except it's running in a 640x480 window.
Two things though:
1. Anyone else having problems clicking buttons? I HAD to use roext (I think it's legal).
It replaces wine's implementation of dinput.dll and made it alot better. Since it's just modifying
directx, and not giving any advantage to the player, I think it's safe.
2. The background sound didn't work until I found this in regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GravitySoft\Ragnarok\Option and changed the value of
streamVolume to 0x64 (which is 100% in hex).

Also Siech, you can give priority to the Ragnarok proccess which might make it run faster.
Run the game as you normally would. When you get to the login screen do the following.
Open a terminal window. Run 'sudo su' if you are running Ubuntu. Run 'top'. You should see a list of processes. Look for RagFree.exe (or whatever), and remember the pid. Run 'renice -n -20 pid' (replace pid with the actual pid).

#10 Symm

Symm

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts
  • LocationProntera Pub.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

So you have to have Vent up to use P2T, since it wont work minimized it looks like. Any way to fix this?

Edited by Symm, 08 October 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#11 HTL2001

HTL2001

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

So you have to have Vent up to use P2T, since it wont work minimized it looks like. Any way to fix this?

As long as you have something that is running in WINE it should notice the key press I think. Problem arises when you are in a native linux program (or maybe something in a different WINE instance, like if you have 2 configs set up for specific programs maybe)

I remember there used to be some odd program that was supposed to fix this for WINE, back like a few years ago I heard of it. Don't remember the name or anything though, sorry

#12 Symm

Symm

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts
  • LocationProntera Pub.

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

Looked it up, and it's a actual problem. Apparently there is no way to fix it that I can find. No worries though, I listen more than I talk.

Edited by Symm, 09 October 2010 - 03:53 PM.

#13 HTL2001

HTL2001

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

There was also that linux native program called Mangler that can connect to ventrillo servers

#14 Symm

Symm

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts
  • LocationProntera Pub.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

Yea, if you can tell me how to get that installed in KDE, that would be great. Linux I can do, but im still learning this OS.

#15 Brindizer

Brindizer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationDuluth
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Anyone know how I can speed up loading screens? that's my only problem and there's not much lag but it's there other than that ro patches up and plays decent. I hate vista and wish I could install xp but for some reason when I try to I always get the blue screen it can't read my hard drive.

Windows XP before service pack 2 has an incredible difficulty with Serial-ATA hard drive connections. You can get around this by installing a Windows XP of Service Pack 2 or later.

#16 DreamerZero

DreamerZero

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationDes Moines

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

i think i found something that might help, it deals with Direct3D so i didn't think it would make much of a difference in the loading, but i have noticed a decrease in loading time since making this change.

let me know if this helps and i will add it to the guide:

1. open terminal and type "regedit"
2. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine
3. right click on Wine go to New and select Key
4. name the key "Direct3D" (this is all case sensitive)
5. highlight Direct3D and the field on the right should appear with just a (Default) entry.
a. right click in the empty space, go to New and select String Value, name it "DirectDrawRenderer" and then open it and set its Data Value to "opengl"
b. add another String Value and name it "PixelShaderMode" and set the data value to "enabled"
c. add another String Value and name it "UseGLSL" and set the data value to "enabled"
d. add another String Value and name it "VertexShaderMode" and set the data value to "hardware"
e. add another String Value and name it "VideoMemorySize" and set the data value to whatever memory size your video card is.
6. close regedit and start the game up.

i didn't have a long time to test but i will test it more later.

#17 Cihan

Cihan

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

I installed wine but it doesn't show up when I press ctrl+H in the home folder. Help please! Ah never mind I found out how!

Edited by Cihan, 12 December 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#18 terryago11

terryago11

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

Installed the DLLs, already have WINE on my machine.
When I try to open one of the ragnarok files with wine it just says "Bad format".
Any suggestions?

#19 Psychogenik

Psychogenik

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Tested on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit under Wine 1.2.3 (stable)
With the Regedit tweaks DreamerZero posted everything runs perfect.

Edited by Psychogenik, 06 September 2011 - 03:02 PM.

#20 Psychogenik

Psychogenik

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

If you're planning to use RO under Linux make sure to only use Wine 1.2.3 (stable) I tested the current beta's and there's alot of runtime errors when you try to start the client.
To fix the sound set the audio driver to ALSA (Full) also the load screens will be faster if you use System Monitor and set RO's process to high priority.

Edited by Psychogenik, 06 September 2011 - 03:05 PM.

#21 valarauko

valarauko

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

If you're planning to use RO under linux make sure to only use Wine 1.2.3 (stable) I tested the current beta's and they cause a few errors.
The sound problem was because I had Wine's audio driver on emulation and not full so I switched it back to full and it works now.
The load screens will be faster if you use System Monitor and set RO's process to high priority.

It's been years since I did this but using Wine I was able to get RO installed along with Steam, CS: S, DoD: S, Ventrillo (although there are Linux free alternatives), and Photoshop CS2.
Did you try any other audio drivers? Similar soundchip configs?

#22 Masterbard

Masterbard

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

I haven't ran Ragnarok on ubuntu since the 8.04 edition but I suggest you get the Ubuntuultimate edition version it already comes patched with all you need. the most recent version is the 2.9 which is based on 11.10 and is very stable. i'm not the most hardcore Ubuntu user but I do know a few things and have been using Ubuntu for quite a few years now. I will try RO on the new version and update on this but it should work with no trouble with this version. if you have any questions shoot on.

#23 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Is there any way to get Mouse Freedom and such to work with the linux version? Just copy and pasting the files doesn't seem to work for me what so ever.

Ubuntu 11.10
HP 210 Mini

Game works fine for me, very little lag. The lag is mainly with the mouse. It'd be nice to get the Mouse Freedom edits working so that it can reduce the strain and make it easier to use.

Edited by EpicGnome, 24 February 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#24 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

Is there any way to get Mouse Freedom and such to work with the linux version? Just copy and pasting the files doesn't seem to work for me what so ever.

Ubuntu 11.10
HP 210 Mini

Game works fine for me, very little lag. The lag is mainly with the mouse. It'd be nice to get the Mouse Freedom edits working so that it can reduce the strain and make it easier to use.

Try this:

• Run "wine winecfg".
  • In the new window that's opened, press "add application", navigate to your client folder, then choose the file "Ragexe.exe".
  • Open the "libraries" tab.
  • Enter "dinput" into the "new override for library" field, then press "add".
  • Return to the "applications" tab.
  • Press "OK".

Edited by richard, 25 March 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#25 EpicGnome

EpicGnome

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Try this:

• Run "wine winecfg".
  • In the new window that's opened, press "add application", navigate to your client folder, then choose the file "Ragexe.exe".
  • Open the "libraries" tab.
  • Enter "dinput" into the "new override for library" field, then press "add".
  • Return to the "applications" tab.
  • Press "OK".

That got the Mouse Freedom working so thank you :D Hopefully I can fully reduce my lag somehow as well. It may just be that I am using a netbook but I didn't have this lag before so I'll look for a setting to change. Thank you much good sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users