Why further element changes are needed. - Proposals & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Why further element changes are needed.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Precrush

Precrush

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:17 AM

This is strictly to point out multiple issues of the element system as it's implemented currently. I feel that it's important to change this since I believe it will be impossible to achieve an acceptable degree of pvp balance with this system in place.

Rock-paper(-scissors)

That's what the current elements are. There are basically 2 choices, either ice/fire build or nature/dark build. You have very little damage against people of your own build and a reasonable amount against those with the other. Reducing pvp down to one simple choice is not ideal.

The X-factor

Since elements are applied on each hit and x-spam does the most hits in any given time frame, that gives mainly invokers and summoners an unfair advantage over other classes.

The Wall

Because of other stats getting capped/nerfed over time, playersbeing able to stack more and more stats, elements being the only real source of damage and the damage output of mainly summoner we have now entered a tank meta like never before. People are extremely hard to kill, and really only get killed when ganged up on or when being targeted down by a summoner. Which classes are good at ganging up on people? The ones with good crowd control skills, mages and summoners. Which classes do most damage? Invokers and summoners. We entered into a circle where the more x-spammers there are the better they are individually long ago (due to a catch and gang up type of interaction), and the current element system enable's that process to continue just like the old one did.

Beating your head against the Wall

That's what it feels like to try and deal damage to somebody without elements (with most skills), and the recent changes are nowhere near enough to fix that. This isn't really a problem with elements, it's a problem with defense and atk calculations of both physical and magical kind. High amounts of defense are easy to obtain by simply enchanting all of your gear to +20, there's no need to go out of your way to get it. Not only that, but if you happen to have low defense while trying to face the Wall, they will do huge amounts of normal damage to you. So because normal damage is so insignificant on high defense pvp is still dependent on the still quite expensive element rock-paper-scissors system, but because high damage does so much on low defense you will get destroyed in a few hits as a player starting out.

Which is biggest 1,2 or 4?

Well 2 of course, says the current element system. 4 element cards are really expensive, yet there's no reason to go for them in any circumstance.

I have some ideas as to how the system could be improved but I will not state them here. The only purpose of this quick read is to try and direct the balancing conversation to the part that is in my opinion the most important by far.

Edited by Precrush, 09 August 2017 - 12:21 AM.

#2 VioletCat

VioletCat

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:14 AM

Your points explain very well why the current system needs some changes. I completely agree and I think it really is important to make changes to it before balancing stuff like skills or other stats. The damage buff to physical classes we've had recently doesn't seem to do a lot in PvP because of how important element damage is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users