15 replies to this topic

#1 jdeuce

jdeuce

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

zVx0A3q.png

So I'm level 140/33 WL and having trouble deciding where to spend my skill points.

I could go more chain lightning - but level 2 is basically fine at all the places I level up now.

I could go higher jack frost - but I mostly just use this to freeze and more levels won't really help.

I could go into Earth Strain - this might be useful for the occasional gramps like this week, but otherwise also don't really need Earth magic.

I could go into soul expansion/intensification - would be useful to finish off the occasional mob. Plus the cast time buff looks pretty sweet.

I could go right into comet with release. Seems like it could be the most useful but not quite sure how much damage I'll really get from it or if using the gems will just bne a waste.

I think I"m mostly down to doing soul expansion and intensification or comet. Any advice from experienced WL?

Thanks guys.

#2 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

SE + Intensification for Ghost/Undead MVPs/Instance Bosses.

#3 kubikyuu

kubikyuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Chain Lighting 5 is very nice for soloing Bako. -> If you want to run Bako I would get this first since you are 140 already.

Jack Frost 3~5 really is nice for crowd control in NCT and during some instances. -> Enough to have it at lvl 3 when you are 150, SW yourself, JF the mob, reposition yourself and go for the kill.

Earth Strain is nice to have but not really mandatory when leveling, Crimson Rock is a better friend. -> This is usually the last skill I max.

As Kusanagi said, SE/Intense makes a lot of bosses a lot easier. If you don't run instances you can easily get something else first though. -> This is your 3rd good optio next to CL 5 and JF 3+. Useless for grinding 150+ in NCT though.

Comet is basically useless at your level. The only place I ever really used Comet was in mid TI. -> Don't get it at your level.

Something else to think about: Drain Life. Saves you a lot of pots and frees some weight limit for other things if you care about that. -> Getting this whenever is perfectly fine.

Tl;DR:
CL 5, JF 3~5, SE/Intense 5, is what I would do. And pushing job levels. xD

#4 jdeuce

jdeuce

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Hmm ok, definitely writing comet and earth strain off for now. 

What about maxing radius for the FCT reduction?

I like CL 5, JF3~5 otherwise I guess for now.

I tried the level 1 drain life awhile back but it only gives me ~300 health with a 4s cooldown and I need a mob nearby, whereas my vitata card gives me ~850 back with no cooldown and less SP cost.
The vitata is getting more annoying now that I have ~20K HP.

#5 Gabrielr04

Gabrielr04

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

That's the thing with Drain Life, once you start increasing it's lvl you'll see how good is it, lvl 1 barely heals you while lvl 5 can heal over half your hp in one cast. In my personal opinion this is one of my favorite skills to go with while lvling a new Warlock

#6 Kusanagisama

Kusanagisama

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4243 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

Try to kill Bakonawa with CL 2 before spending points on it. It's a pity, though, that you're already 140 and your job level is only 33. You're a caster, invest exp in job levels! You're not playing one of those brainless classes that can go to 175 with a couple skills.

#7 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

I think keeping Jack Frost at lv.1 is good enough for crowd control, as 11x11 is enough large area. Perhaps its a better choice to putting the extra skill points to other spells like Drain Life and Freezing Spell.

#8 jdeuce

jdeuce

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

I mean, I definitely have to use a whole bunch of skills to play, my WL ones, wizard ones, mage ones etc... Bit jealous of my mate playing a GX.

I'm finding that I can solo scaraba, etc. I can barely spend the 7 skill points I got saved up now, and I don't think they're really going to help me that much right now anyway.

So not going to put any more points into job. I can always make that up later if I really need them. If it really is that low it'll level quick :P

#9 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

I think keeping Jack Frost at lv.1 is good enough for crowd control, as 11x11 is enough large area. Perhaps its a better choice to putting the extra skill points to other spells like Drain Life and Freezing Spell.

i agree with this, especially considering no matter the range they come from and what range the jack frost is hitting them at, the moment they are frozen, although there is position lag and it looks as though they have stopped on the spot, they do not actually really stop moving until they are right up at you, so having extra JF range does not mean anything outside of the thought that you can be abit further away from them to freeze them.

#10 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:59 AM

i agree with this, especially considering no matter the range they come from and what range the jack frost is hitting them at, the moment they are frozen, although there is position lag and it looks as though they have stopped on the spot, they do not actually really stop moving until they are right up at you, so having extra JF range does not mean anything outside of the thought that you can be abit further away from them to freeze them.

Yeah, glad we have agreement on this. :D But now I wonder, how would you spend the extra 4 skill points if they are taken away from Jack Frost(lv.5 to lv.1)? Is it worth investing in Drain Life? Or are there better alternatives to spend them?

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 24 August 2017 - 05:00 AM.

#11 NekoCaptainNoob

NekoCaptainNoob

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

At Job Lv. 60  recommend skill build would be be like this 

When I have VIP I'm turn in on Job EXP ,  only turn in Base EXP if my level is nearly up :D

screenchaos441.jpg

(Get all skill at Job Lv. 59  and 1 free point I put on HW's  sense) 

#12 kubikyuu

kubikyuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

I tried the level 1 drain life awhile back but it only gives me ~300 health with a 4s cooldown and I need a mob nearby, whereas my vitata card gives me ~850 back with no cooldown and less SP cost.
The vitata is getting more annoying now that I have ~20K HP.

For Drain Life see the following video:

What about maxing radius for the FCT reduction?

Oops, totally missed that since I was in a hurry to leave when I wrote my previous post.

Radius should always be maxed for the FCT reduction and additional range on WL spells.

I had situations in NCT where I found JF 3 to be too small to freeze my whole mob, causing unnessesairy danger for myself.

This was before I was able to 2-shot though. Once I was able to do that there was no more need to freeze stuff most of the time.

But I still do like the bigger AoE.

Edited by kubikyuu, 24 August 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#13 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

Jack Frost deals as much/more damage than most other spells when the enemy has Freezing :T
It is powerfull, but not used often (also because it doesnt procs Soul Drain)

#14 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

For Drain Life see the following video:

Oops, totally missed that since I was in a hurry to leave when I wrote my previous post.

Radius should always be maxed for the FCT reduction and additional range on WL spells.

I had situations in NCT where I found JF 3 to be too small to freeze my whole mob, causing unnessesairy danger for myself.

This was before I was able to 2-shot though. Once I was able to do that there was no more need to freeze stuff most of the time.

But I still do like the bigger AoE.

Interesting. I was thinking that if there's a way to deal reliable 20-30k damage with Drain Life lv.5. Since it is a neutral element spell, it can be used against Dark/Holy type mobs. If it does 10-15k, it may not be a feasible choice against those monsters. Still, its a single-target spell so wont be useful in mobby dungeons. At the moment iRO doesnt have many cards/gears that boost neutral element spell damage, this can change in future though.

Jack Frost deals as much/more damage than most other spells when the enemy has Freezing :T

True, but the hard part is to get enemies in freezing status. At lv.2 Frost Misty only gives 35% chance for freezing, its far from reliable hit. Even at lv.5 the 50% chance is barely acceptable, and you have to waste 3 more skill points to get it to lv.5. Frost Misty has 4 seconds cooldown time, so you cant spam this spell and have to wait a few seconds if it fails.

#15 PervySageMarty

PervySageMarty

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3958 posts
  • LocationUnderground like a wild potato

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

Yeah, glad we have agreement on this. :D But now I wonder, how would you spend the extra 4 skill points if they are taken away from Jack Frost(lv.5 to lv.1)? Is it worth investing in Drain Life? Or are there better alternatives to spend them?

Contrdictive but i would still get JF lvl 5 simply cos warlocks arent my specialty and i dont want to die.........

#16 Gabrielr04

Gabrielr04

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, i've seen how strong JF is, i usually use it a lot at GMT since it does around 170k-180k per cast once the enemies have freezing, and it can be spammed over and over so i don't really see it as a waste neither

Interesting. I was thinking that if there's a way to deal reliable 20-30k damage with Drain Life lv.5. Since it is a neutral element spell, it can be used against Dark/Holy type mobs. If it does 10-15k, it may not be a feasible choice against those monsters. Still, its a single-target spell so wont be useful in mobby dungeons. At the moment iRO doesnt have many cards/gears that boost neutral element spell damage, this can change in future though.

True, but the hard part is to get enemies in freezing status. At lv.2 Frost Misty only gives 35% chance for freezing, its far from reliable hit. Even at lv.5 the 50% chance is barely acceptable, and you have to waste 3 more skill points to get it to lv.5. Frost Misty has 4 seconds cooldown time, so you cant spam this spell and have to wait a few seconds if it fails.

There's actually a new gear coming in OCP that will boost neutral magic (Comet, Psyquic Wave, Drain Life, etc.) by a max of 25% once it's +9 and also gives 40% max of resistance to holy/shadow damage. I've been using Drain Life for a while since it was recommended to me in this forums and i can't say i regret that decision, usual damage it's around 30-40k against everything and it allows you to heal almost fully without many troubles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users