Out of curiosity, why do people +10 armors and shields? - Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Out of curiosity, why do people +10 armors and shields?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Quoc

Quoc

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1037 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'm not talking about the Mad Bunny shield either but just coats, bucklers and such alike. The ones that has no bonuses with any cards atm at even +9 that I know of or at least beneficial cards. Isn't it just overkill for the sake of overkill? I may be missing something here because I'm barely up to date with this server but I feel that when they made that +10 buckler or something, they could have made a +9~10 helmet, shoes, or garments instead(although +9 is enough currently). Seems like most DEF comes from the base armor of equipment than the upgrades itself. Upgrades seems like it's just for cards with the current DEF mechanic from what I can tell. Sure it's worth upgrading for a little bit more DEF but +7 to 10 is so negligible it's really not worth it yet this server is filled with people trying for it.

Unless it's just pure random luck someone press upgrade and it went all the way to +10 when they didn't expect it?

#2 RealGarion

RealGarion

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

I would say it depends on many factors .In general you could say overupgrades don't worth the effort, however if you aim for a certain def/reduction value it might be worth it and that on the other hand depends on how much def you already have.

Since most equip has a low base def value compared to later equip upgraded contribute more to reduction, still the effort is hardly worth it unless you aim for specific gears that benefit from cards (like garmet, shoes, headgear) if they are upgraded to +9 (bonewand might be worth it to +10 if/when skull cap hits the server).

Beside that .. its just for the hell of it and the hope to get a hugh load of money by overupping gear that is easy to obtain (like coat).

If that isnt reason enough there is still the one reason that always works : Why the hell not?

#3 pandapants

pandapants

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

If you have a full set of gear and money laying around, then why not?

#4 Quoc

Quoc

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

If you have a full set of gear and money laying around, then why not?

Considering this is the fastest to update server of all of them, I would think a lot of those +10 will be obsolete a lot sooner than any other servers.

+7~9 doesn't risk much loss because they offer a lot but +10 is just hard for the sake of hard on armors and shield currently as they have no useful cards to take benefit of +10.

Edited by Quoc, 23 September 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#5 Quoc

Quoc

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

I would say it depends on many factors .In general you could say overupgrades don't worth the effort, however if you aim for a certain def/reduction value it might be worth it and that on the other hand depends on how much def you already have.

Since most equip has a low base def value compared to later equip upgraded contribute more to reduction, still the effort is hardly worth it unless you aim for specific gears that benefit from cards (like garmet, shoes, headgear) if they are upgraded to +9 (bonewand might be worth it to +10 if/when skull cap hits the server).

Beside that .. its just for the hell of it and the hope to get a hugh load of money by overupping gear that is easy to obtain (like coat).

If that isnt reason enough there is still the one reason that always works : Why the hell not?

Coat is cheap, tons of elu and enriched elu are not. Also, as the title suggests, I am specifically talking about armor and shields. Anything else has an obvious factor of why +7 and up, especially weapons. Again, we cannot talk about anything other than +10 armors and shields in current RO since everything else has a good reason to +9 at least.

Also if you had extra zeny, wouldn't it be more beneficial to buy kafra items from people such as Silvervines? I mean it seems a lot more productive to have those than to have a +10 coat or +10 buckler lol. Remember the guy with a +10 Pantie [1] that ended up selling it to the NPC because nobody could buy it at the price expected? I'd assume it's because +10 items aren't as worth as much as the risk. So unless you're super lucky and made it out of random curiosity of pushing Upgrade>Upgrade>Upgrade and miraculously made it to +10, it seems like a net loss over all.

I suppose you're right on the if you have SO much zeny and don't know what to do with it, then the zeny loss wouldn't matter to some people and they end up doing that lol.

Edited by Quoc, 23 September 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#6 RealGarion

RealGarion

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

Coat is cheap, tons of elu and enriched elu are not. Also, as the title suggests, I am specifically talking about armor and shields. Anything else has an obvious factor of why +7 and up, especially weapons.

You are right about that (and i should have read your post more proberly) : So there is one point that still stands, if you can effort it "why the hell not" . The thing about armor is ,it wouldnt get to absolute to fast, a real upgrade for armor comes with Diabolous/Valk and later 3rd class, in between there is not to much armor equip that would be an actual upgrade same goes for shields, the only real considerable upgrade comes with Valk shield/ Stone buckler until then +7~10 guard/buckler/shield you name it... is pretty much best in gear and sufficient enough.

Edited by RealGarion, 23 September 2017 - 11:30 AM.

#7 Pixelakaroxi

Pixelakaroxi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationPoland / Morroc / Alde

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

Well, it might not be technically worth it to spend so much time and money trying to +10guards and bucklers, unless you have an mvp card to put in there, but heck, why not if they have the money and nothing to blow it on.

#8 Bazzz

Bazzz

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

swag 

#9 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

BIG NUMBERS

#10 MrMatoto

MrMatoto

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Green maiden for me

#11 iDeco

iDeco

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Disturb, 10 or nothing.

#12 Recaa

Recaa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

To enlarge my epeen

#13 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Agree i second that

http://cdn.meme.am/i...50/63956908.jpg

#14 nelfhunter

nelfhunter

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Two parties exist in this transaction: the upgrader and the buyer.

The upgrader likes gambling because it's fun. They have a target upgrade limit. Sometimes that is +10.

The buyer knows +10 gear isn't really worth it and the gambler knows this too but he luckily made a +10 and now needs to sell it. Let's say a +9 item is worth 10m and there is a 10% chance of it going +10, the +10 will probably sell for 60m or 70m because the buyer knows it's not really worth the true cost of making the item and the gambler made money on the item anyway (or needs to recoup his losses somehow).

#15 SemBadTriip

SemBadTriip

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationWonderland
  • Server:Re:Start

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:32 AM

Taking into account the renew defense system:

Pure pride to build end game
Moving zenys to market
Using the bonus on some cards

#16 Quoc

Quoc

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

Taking into account the renew defense system:

Pure pride to build end game
Moving zenys to market
Using the bonus on some cards

That's the thing! There is no card that utilizes +10 on armors and shields currently. Hence the question lol. The Mad Bunny Shield I can understand since it has some hidden stats that gets better on upgrade but coats and bucklers floating around the market at +10 boggles my mind.

Edited by Quoc, 25 September 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#17 pandapants

pandapants

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

That's the thing! There is no card that utilizes +10 on armors and shields currently. Hence the question lol. The Mad Bunny Shield I can understand since it has some hidden stats that gets better on upgrade but coats and bucklers floating around the market at +10 boggles my mind.

What does mad bunny shield get over a normal guard/buckler/shield?

#18 Quoc

Quoc

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

What does mad bunny shield get over a normal guard/buckler/shield?

Supposedly that - 

A rag doll that Piamette use for both attack and defense? It looks so real and alive!

DEX +1
MDEF +6
Reduces damage taken from all elemental attacks by 5%.

+Piamette's Ribbon:
If refined to +6 or higher: Every refine level Reduces damage taken from all elementals attack by 2%.

Whether or not it's implemented on this server, I'll have no way of knowing as I was never interested in the shield. There's two versions of it floating around it looks like. iRO wiki shows up a "Mad Bunny Special" which is also a shield. Not sure how related they are - http://db.irowiki.or...tem-info/28902/

Though logic has it that shields of such nature wouldn't be implemented so soon but this game doesn't follow logic much, some items have hidden stats without so much of a description.

Edited by Quoc, 25 September 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#19 RealGarion

RealGarion

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 896 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

The Mad Bunny shield is looks only on this server

#20 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

because they can

and it looks great to be full +10 :v

#21 DooperPooper

DooperPooper

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY
  • Server:Transcendence

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:44 AM

I'm glad you brought this up, because the current state of the market is driving me nuts. Taking one look at Ragial shows a large variety of +8,+9 and +10 gears.

Like you said, some of it is justified if you have a card that benefits from it. But most people probably don't have that. That leads me to...

...This is a greater problem with the Kafra Shop, in my opinion. It's WAY easier to over-upgrade gear now with Enriched Elu/Ori being available to the masses. Add that to the sudden crackdown on botting and it's thoroughly screwing up the economy. Shoes[1] should not be selling for close to 1mil zeny. Ever.

Now you have this massive influx of overupgraded items because people want zeny, but there's nobody to buy them.

I'm patiently waiting for the economy to fix itself and for prices to come back down but I'm not sure if that's ever going to happen.

#22 DarthaNyan

DarthaNyan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:20 AM

because they can

^ this.

And also:

because there is nothing else to do and they have lots of zeny to spare

#23 bigcfromrbc

bigcfromrbc

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Server:Restart Odin

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

I have some over upgraded gear.  Kinda regret it.  Kinda don't.

#24 Shanedude

Shanedude

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

+7's are so dirt cheap it doesnt feel right using it when your net worth is 100mil+

+8' dont feel right when youre net worth 200mil+

+9 dont feel right when youre net worth 500mil+

+!0 feels so goooooood(Manteau[1]) until pauldron comes out and now start again from +7 lol

#25 elpeasant

elpeasant

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

Coat is cheap, tons of elu and enriched elu are not. Also, as the title suggests, I am specifically talking about armor and shields. Anything else has an obvious factor of why +7 and up, especially weapons. Again, we cannot talk about anything other than +10 armors and shields in current RO since everything else has a good reason to +9 at least.

Also if you had extra zeny, wouldn't it be more beneficial to buy kafra items from people such as Silvervines? I mean it seems a lot more productive to have those than to have a +10 coat or +10 buckler lol. Remember the guy with a +10 Pantie [1] that ended up selling it to the NPC because nobody could buy it at the price expected? I'd assume it's because +10 items aren't as worth as much as the risk. So unless you're super lucky and made it out of random curiosity of pushing Upgrade>Upgrade>Upgrade and miraculously made it to +10, it seems like a net loss over all.

I suppose you're right on the if you have SO much zeny and don't know what to do with it, then the zeny loss wouldn't matter to some people and they end up doing that lol.

Cost is relative. Enriched elu is 30 cents. Most of the people playing RO are vets who played 10 years ago, which means we're well into our 30's now. There are plenty of people in my guild who make 150-200k+ at their real jobs (which is easily $400-800 a day). 30 cents on enriched elu's is not much, literally could pass on a cup of starbucks and buy a bunch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users