Help me understand ranged Sura builds - Acolyte Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Help me understand ranged Sura builds

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Onyx

Onyx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:16 AM

So, I came back from a long break to discover that the Keraunos is a thing. I find ranged builds more fun to play, so after watching this video of a Sura soloing Bio5 with Lightning Ride, I reset my stats to 120 Dex and 100 Str. These are approximately the same stats in the video, but this raises a few questions I'm hoping someone with more experience can answer. From what I understand from the skill description, LR inflicts ranged, ATK-based physical damage. Now, if I understand the ATK formula correctly, Dex plays a much bigger role in increasing the damage from gun, bow, whip, and instruments.

Since I'm using a mace, wouldn't it make more sense to have 120 Str, 100 Dex, and Temp Str Boots EA/Bear's Power (instead of Temp Dex Boots EA/Hawkeye)? Nirvana's calc agrees with me, but there is a blurb somewhere on the wiki which says Dex increases the damage, but I can't remember where I saw that.

Is there a cookie cutter build somewhere I can reference, or can anyone help me decipher the formulas? 

#2 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

You are partially correct. STR does increase your damage with maces, and despite the skill being ranged, it scales off of STR. However, it also includes the ranged damage modifier in the form of archer skeleton cards, expert archer enchants, and the ranged onus one can get from something like a FAW or temporal DEX boots -- which is exactly what the Sura in that video is using (the FAW is probably a 'Fallen Angel Wing of Shooter' which is a Menblatt card: http://db.irowiki.or...item-info/4593/

You could do a 120 STR build, use a temopral STR boots with an EA enchant, and still use a FAW with EA+menblatt (since you only lose 20 dex's worth of damage, which is only 3%). This would also let you use something like tengu set, giant's protection, etc. if you have the funds. 

Most likely it's not that the build you saw is optimal  but that it's what the person had to work with and it was good enough to get the job done. 

You'll notice in the video description he says he used "the same gear as a gene" which leads me to believe he was just using gear he already had. 

#3 Onyx

Onyx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

You are partially correct. STR does increase your damage with maces, and despite the skill being ranged, it scales off of STR. However, it also includes the ranged damage modifier in the form of archer skeleton cards, expert archer enchants, and the ranged onus one can get from something like a FAW or temporal DEX boots -- which is exactly what the Sura in that video is using (the FAW is probably a 'Fallen Angel Wing of Shooter' which is a Menblatt card: http://db.irowiki.or...item-info/4593/

You could do a 120 STR build, use a temopral STR boots with an EA enchant, and still use a FAW with EA+menblatt (since you only lose 20 dex's worth of damage, which is only 3%). This would also let you use something like tengu set, giant's protection, etc. if you have the funds. 

Most likely it's not that the build you saw is optimal  but that it's what the person had to work with and it was good enough to get the job done. 

You'll notice in the video description he says he used "the same gear as a gene" which leads me to believe he was just using gear he already had. 

That is super helpful, thank you!

Insofar as optimization is concerned, how would this work for a build?

Str: 120
Dex: 120

Vit: 105

+x Old Burning Soul
Tengu Set
(Suggestions for armor?)

+10 Robot Arm (True Chen Lio x2)

+12 Mad Bunny

+9 FAW EA3,3,4 (Menblatt)
+9 Temporarl Str Boots EA/Bear's Power

Keraunos (Gold Scaraba) x2

With Giant's Protection, LR cast time is pretty unreasonable. Would you still recommend it?

#4 YangeWenli

YangeWenli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2404 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

i never used ramapage blaster but apparently its pretty strong https://forums.warpp...er#entry2593878

sadly we missing class shadow set or whatever it is that reduces its cooldown to 1 sec

#5 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

That is super helpful, thank you!

Insofar as optimization is concerned, how would this work for a build?

Str: 120
Dex: 120

Vit: 105

+x Old Burning Soul
Tengu Set
(Suggestions for armor?)

+10 Robot Arm (True Chen Lio x2)

+12 Mad Bunny

+9 FAW EA3,3,4 (Menblatt)
+9 Temporarl Str Boots EA/Bear's Power

Keraunos (Gold Scaraba) x2

With Giant's Protection, LR cast time is pretty unreasonable. Would you still recommend it?

To be honest, I'm not a Sura player so I can't comment about optimization. That _seems_ fine, but I may be missing something obvious to other Sura players. 

I also donno if I'd do 120 dex if I wasn't going to use temporal dex boots, since you won't need the extra dex for cast time (keraunos will give you 100% cast with two of them after lvl 150). 

Edited by mildcontempt, 02 December 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#6 Silvianna

Silvianna

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2579 posts
  • Location-
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Quit

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

Megs still the best tbh.

Edited by Silvianna, 02 December 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#7 Onyx

Onyx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

Megs still the best tbh.

Lies! You edited from a super helpful post! What did you say before you edited? :o

#8 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

is thanatos mace good for lvling with this build? or should i go with something i can enchant instead? my alt sura is only 120 so the helm and card I cant use lol(i mean afford or use lol)

#9 Silvianna

Silvianna

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2579 posts
  • Location-
  • Server:Quit

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:46 AM

:heh:

wuttttt??! what did i do ? i did nothing ! :heh:

i said, giant protection is still better than keraunos since at max lv you will able to cast LR quickly

megingjard is the best for it. since their str bonus will affect your GT Convert.

dont use mad bunny, use Gaia Shield. mob scarf should be better at 120 str 40 luk, but tengu is okay.

armor should flame dragon armor, keep it clean until you can afford amdarais card. or just use dex6 abusive robe as substitute , your damage will be same but only when hitting demi-human, demon, undead.

so you can have +12 madbunny but why your temporal str only at +9 ? make it same +12.

+12 ~ 14 old burning soul will do.

only weapon left, i wonder what is it ?  :p_hi:

there is a shortcut to achieve this, unfortunately it wont last long.

Spoiler testdata

#10 Onyx

Onyx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:32 AM

i said, giant protection is still better than keraunos since at max lv you will able to cast LR quickly

megingjard is the best for it. since their str bonus will affect your GT Convert.

dont use mad bunny, use Gaia Shield. mob scarf should be better at 120 str 40 luk, but tengu is okay.

armor should flame dragon armor, keep it clean until you can afford amdarais card. or just use dex6 abusive robe as substitute , your damage will be same but only when hitting demi-human, demon, undead.

so you can have +12 madbunny but why your temporal str only at +9 ? make it same +12.

Spoiler testdata

Hahaha, thank you!

#11 BoyAtlas

BoyAtlas

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

is thanatos mace any good for lvling just curious before i grind for one

#12 Onyx

Onyx

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

is thanatos mace any good for lvling just curious before i grind for one

Thanatos Mace has been a leveling staple for me. I put a hunter fly card in it, and with blood sucker, rideword, and pet succubus, I literally never pot when leveling with LR. If you're using FC, you will probably still need to pot unless you stun the mob with windmill.

#13 dnz04dd

dnz04dd

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:23 AM

What headgear would be best when you're level 130 until I can get a old burning soul?

#14 WinterBlizzard

WinterBlizzard

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

Spoiler testdata

how did LR can insta cast without keraunos? 

#15 markopolong

markopolong

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:23 AM

True that in that video the faw was EA10 memblat. 120 dex merely just to get range% bonus from dex boot..stacking range % bonus by all means at that time. D amount of dex dont help much with damage while we are not a gun or bow user..true. was supposed to get 120 str as that will help to increase our damage but at that time i was trying to be both FC n LR user. Which make me keep my 120 vit to swap with Vit boot for FC. I dont know about cast time but this 120 dex is not intentionally put in such way for cast time. Except it gives me a bit faster Zen cast thru dex boot bonus..thats all LoL.

Hope anyone can explore further and share..would like to learn also.

#16 dnz04dd

dnz04dd

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

mob scarf should be better at 120 str 40 luk, but tengu is okay.

I just got 120 str and 40 luk, but my tengu set does more damage than mob scarf combo. Is there something I am missing?

#17 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

no, tengu is just better

#18 dnz04dd

dnz04dd