The Dangers of Guild Sites! (Use some common sense, guys!) - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

The Dangers of Guild Sites! (Use some common sense, guys!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClickClick

ClickClickClick

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 756 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

Never sign up to a guild website!

It should go without saying that signing up to any "fansite" is a terrible idea, but a lot of people fail to realize how dangerous it is to sign up to any website regarding the MMO you're playing currently.

Think of this, how many people use the same password for everything? Ask yourself, how secure am I doing so?

Fact is, that if you sign up to any guild website anywhere, regardless of the MMO, you're handing them your email address right off the bat, an email address that, 9 times out of 10, is the same one used to create your game account. Then, if you happen to be using the same password for everything, you've effectively handed them your complete login details. This not only allows them to steal your hard earned gear and zeny, but allows them the ability to delete your characters.

Sadly, even if you happen to be using different passwords, the danger doesn't end there. Signing up to a guild site allows them access to your ip address, allowing them to discover your exact, real world, location with very little effort on their part. Opening yourself up to new level of harassment. If you didn't know, we have players on these very forums that were targeted with real world harassment, and were forced to move and hide their identity in order to escape such activities. People literally called said person day and night, and even left letters in their mailbox detailing how they would rape and murder them.

If you think that's bad, people can go even further to harm you. Knowledge of your email address allows them ability to look up your social media accounts and the like opening you up to a great deal of dangers you don't expect. There have even been cases on World of Warcraft where people have gone so far as to commit credit card fraud, literally targeting people they don't like, signing them up for a credit card then driving them into debt using little more than the information they've obtained through social media and their guild site.

So remember, use common sense, guard your privacy, your well being depends on it! Especially so in this community, full of hatred, scammers, gold sellers, and ne'er do wells!

The last one was removed because certain people decided to turn it into a personal attack, I'd ask that they don't do so again.

#2 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:17 AM

Hello, 

Thank you for posting.  In this day and age it is important that users of the internet have an understanding of what happens when you register for a website. 

Any website which you register for has access to the following information about you.
-Information Used for Registration (Often includes name, email, and date of birth. Plus any account recovery questions)
-IP Address (Can be used to get general geographic data)

That being said most if not all websites do not use this information for malicious purposes. Usually it is just to be used to contact you or to track user activity on the website.

It is recommended that you keep separate email/passwords and only sign up for websites which you can trust. Before you enter any data into a website we would encourage you to think as to why they would need that data. For example many phishing websites in the past have asked their victims to enter their game account information. At no point should a fansite need that. But a fansite asking for an email address for forum access is perfectly normal behavior for any website. It allows for control and limits spam bots from flooding forums and communication channels.

I would recommend that users be aware of what they are signing up for and keep registration details unique for websites that are financial or otherwise important. Personally I have an email address that I only use for my game accounts, and another that is for random website sign ups. I use a unique password for every website I sign up for.

TL:DR

Guildsites are perfectly fine and normal to use. I do not believe that they represent a danger to the user. But users should be aware of what information they are giving to the website runners and make their own decisions/choices in order to protect themselves.

#3 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9326 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:38 AM

Don't even need to register on sites to get more info than that. Cookies, etc etc

#4 S207

S207

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationCancun MX
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:58 AM

There is a main thread about this. Also I give some advices on it, plus the Campitor ones

https://forums.warpp...-you/?p=2735320

Talked about email and personal info. plus how to verify other things. People must read a bit about it, and its even more recommended if they do not have IT knowledge at all.

That was focus to p.servers, but the essence its the same about keep your personal info safe

Edited by S207, 11 April 2018 - 11:59 AM.

#5 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

Guilds require some level of trust between the leaders and the members. If guilds want to use guild sites to communicate with their members, then that's their way of seeing if new members are trustworthy enough to share guild information. Obviously no guild wants a member that's going to betray them at the bat of an eye. If you can't trust a guild with your email, then the guild has every right to not trust you with their items and guild information.

#6 icchigosan

icchigosan

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

safety tips : 

1> emails : your personal email,game email have to be different
2>Password : all your passwords have to be different

3>dont your your actual fb account for Ro related stuffs,due to obvious reasons,make a dedicated one for ro

Safety softwares must have:

1>Internet security like Kaspersky,ESET,Quick-Heal

2>Malware software [very important] : MalwareBytes get a 1 year subscription

These 2 softwares you save you arse 99% of the time,just dont proceed to sites when they WARN you

3>VPN just for browsing : Tunnelbear,Hotspot shield [No one will ever know your actual IP,unless they are very dedicated and talented]

#7 VModMango

VModMango

Amateur Blogger

• VMod Retired
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBoopsville

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

Several posts removed.

Joking or not, please do not post Guild Names/Player Names/Etc.

#8 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10855 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

safety tips : 

1> emails : your personal email,game email have to be different
2>Password : all your passwords have to be different

3>dont your your actual fb account for Ro related stuffs,due to obvious reasons,make a dedicated one for ro

Safety softwares must have:

1>Internet security like Kaspersky,ESET,Quick-Heal

2>Malware software [very important] : MalwareBytes get a 1 year subscription

These 2 softwares you save you arse 99% of the time,just dont proceed to sites when they WARN you

3>VPN just for browsing : Tunnelbear,Hotspot shield [No one will ever know your actual IP,unless they are very dedicated and talented]

^

Edited by ChakriGuard, 11 April 2018 - 07:34 PM.

#9 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:13 PM

Based on personal experience, good advice. 

#10 Xejso

Xejso

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:05 AM

*puts on tin foil hat* jk

In all seriousness though. Guild sites have their pros and cons:

I've never liked having to fill out applications for guilds because with or without the result is the same. A guild invite. They are kinda pointless.

But I have ran a guild which a website really helped in organizing events or writing guides for new players who need help leveling or making zeny. As a guildleader you should never force anyone to have to sign up for a guild website but at the same time the members will feel left out when they do not know about guild events because they are not signed up to the forums. As a guildleader I would keep track of people who did not feel comfortable signing up for websites and try to inform them in game of events. I think discord is a good safe way to do this now but writing guides is harder to do on discord(could always upload a file i guess, but that introduces other paranoia)

You just have to have faith in humanity and not have the mindset that everyone and their mama is out to get you. Trust in your fellow humans(especially guildmates) is good, but at the same time be careful and take care of yourself by not using same email and password for everything. By doing this I have never been hacked or harassed. I don't give people a reason to want to harass me either.

Edited by Xejso, 12 April 2018 - 07:21 AM.

#11 ClickClickClick

ClickClickClick

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:20 PM

Just a friendly bump of an old PSA still as relevant as ever.

Stay safe, folks! <3

#12 AceBanner

AceBanner

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

Never sign up to a guild website!

It should go without saying that signing up to any "fansite" is a terrible idea, but a lot of people fail to realize how dangerous it is to sign up to any website regarding the MMO you're playing currently.

Think of this, how many people use the same password for everything? Ask yourself, how secure am I doing so?

Fact is, that if you sign up to any guild website anywhere, regardless of the MMO, you're handing them your email address right off the bat, an email address that, 9 times out of 10, is the same one used to create your game account. Then, if you happen to be using the same password for everything, you've effectively handed them your complete login details. This not only allows them to steal your hard earned gear and zeny, but allows them the ability to delete your characters.

Sadly, even if you happen to be using different passwords, the danger doesn't end there. Signing up to a guild site allows them access to your ip address, allowing them to discover your exact, real world, location with very little effort on their part. Opening yourself up to new level of harassment. If you didn't know, we have players on these very forums that were targeted with real world harassment, and were forced to move and hide their identity in order to escape such activities. People literally called said person day and night, and even left letters in their mailbox detailing how they would rape and murder them.

If you think that's bad, people can go even further to harm you. Knowledge of your email address allows them ability to look up your social media accounts and the like opening you up to a great deal of dangers you don't expect. There have even been cases on World of Warcraft where people have gone so far as to commit credit card fraud, literally targeting people they don't like, signing them up for a credit card then driving them into debt using little more than the information they've obtained through social media and their guild site.

So remember, use common sense, guard your privacy, your well being depends on it! Especially so in this community, full of hatred, scammers, gold sellers, and ne'er do wells!

The last one was removed because certain people decided to turn it into a personal attack, I'd ask that they don't do so again.

At these days of age, hacking & harassment becomes easy with internet. Just be aware & said faith in humanity with your surroundings. Good advice though.  :no1:

#13 Klief

Klief

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationHawaii
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:44 PM

Aloha!

In order to avoid dangerous sites, use Google Chrome. Chrome can detect dangerous and suspicious sites, infos, CCs, location, etc. It will warn if if you want to proceed (of course you don't want to proceed) also install google extensions like avast(I'm using atm) that can detect untrusted sites.

Mahalo!

#14 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:13 PM

discord > guild websites lmao. thats so outdated now its not even funny. even talking in guild chat is outdated compared to discord. just don't even bother with that stuff.

i remember hearing about that one case though about the dude who kept getting knifed by some other guy in counterstrike, and the guy who kept dying basically planned an attempted murder on the guy who kept killing him and actually got as far as stabbing him in the chest irl. crazy shiz.

there's another story about some kid who was whoopin` booty in call of duty and one of the guys he was wrecking taunted the dude into giving him his address/info, but instead of showing up, called the swat/cops in his area and said there was a hostage situation of some sort and guns fired. apparently the cops show up and the kid is still sitting in his gaming chair whoppin' booty lmao.

people are crazy though. if you resort to any kind of shiz like this^, you're really f'n unstable and definitely don't need to be bringing your pain onto other people (IE: dont game lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users