• 1041 posts
  • Twitter:stephstiel
  • LocationUK
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:33 AM

Just an fyi for the iRO peeps who were thinking of migrating to euRO:

https://forum.ragnar...ry-restriction/

If you were planning to bring non-EU guildies with you, Gravity just gave you the finger.

#2 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:03 AM

POPULAR

It's a good thing Gravity never bothered to protect their IP, or we'd be screwed. 

#3 Panteperu

Panteperu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Server:Ragnarok Transcendence

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

If its the same law, why euro can keep their service to eu players and iro cant?

#4 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

well euro kind of cant exist unless it follows the european law unlike iro which can

also the euro publisher puts a bit more effort and money into things compared to iro

#5 Stephcake

Stephcake

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1041 posts
  • Twitter:stephstiel
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:42 AM

The thing I don't get is that euRO is obviously going to comply, so the only reason to block everyone outside the EU is "Gravity are being dicks".

Which in itself is nothing new.

Do they not WANT players?

Edited by Stephcake, 06 May 2018 - 01:43 AM.

#6 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:54 AM

And on top of that, the IP restrictions won't make players suddenly play on their respective regional server.

I decided to play on iRO over fRO mainly because iRO was the only official english server worth playing on and still is.

fRO is an abomination of a RO server with horrid frenglish (which they don't want to improve on, player translations/corrections, even GM translations are getting declined) and only Renewal mechanics on top of that and neither do they plan a Re:Start server, not even with the potential influx of players they could get from this situation.

Barely any of the european players blocked here will migrate to fRO and vice versa.

Most will either stop playing or go to some -_-ty private servers which are just not worth it most of the time :I

This just might be the end of Ragnarok for most players affected by the bans.

#7 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:29 AM

Yes, I don't get why euRO feel it necessary to block players outside the EU if they are going to make things GDPR compliant, surely that should cover them for all business since the data protection would be above and beyond what is required in America and other countries. Unless there is some other law in America or wherever that they don't want to comply with. Otherwise it can only be that they wish to funnel people into certain servers, which I think is going to have the opposite effect and push people away from official servers entirely. I could understand if it had been Gravity's plan from the beginning, but like I say, when I started iRO was the only English server.

Another game I play has servers for all English speakers (global), Japan (HQ), China, Taiwan, Korea but people from outside those regions play e.g. the Japan one to get access to content earlier before translation. So far there's been no change / blocks and it's business as usual for them, in fact they're celebrating how many downloads they have worldwide. I thought it might be because it's a mobile game and outsources some backend stuff to Google / Apple etc. which are going to be GDPR compliant. But I just noticed Gravity are shutting out EU users for some of their mobile games too, so I think it's just that Gravity as a company have succumbed to scaremongering about GDPR.

Ah I just found this, apparently Japan was eager to adopt the GDPR. Maybe that's why the Japanese-based company is having no issues doing business on a global scale:

https://iapp.org/new...al-information/

Edited by soudou, 06 May 2018 - 05:35 AM.

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

To my understanding, it had always been GRAVITY/kRO's intention to have regional servers for every part of the world like how Blizzard works. That's why they bought out publishers and renamed them into branches of GRAVITY. All that hit a major snag when the script kiddies attacked in the early years of RO.

It makes sense for each RO server to cater to specific regions because of timezone restrictions affecting WoE and server events. However, that's only reasonable if all officials are on the same updates globally. Having each server be so different in terms of updates gives off the impression of favoritism and neglect. They think we're too dumb to realize each of the officials is being treated differently, and that's grating on player morale.

#9 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

I guess they were just very slow in implementing that plan then. I can't remember when euRO opened up but I think I had already had an iRO account for years before it even showed up on the radar.  :wah: 

#10 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

yeah I was on iRO when euRO opened, they didn't offer transfer for UK players tho. 

#11 kinkthecat

kinkthecat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

just save your money for the next 5 years, you arent missing much on iro, there is a million better things to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users