Help with soloing Faceworm Nest as Gene - Merchant Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Help with soloing Faceworm Nest as Gene

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Hey everyone. I hear it's supposed to be relatively easy to at least get to the boss fight in the Faceworm Nest instance, but I've been really having trouble with the Dark Faceworms for a while. I can only barely make it through the first one, spending most of my weight in a long fight of attrition. Specifically, the eggs are really troublesome, as I can't quite do anything about them. I've tried:

1. Ignoring them. This lets me get through slowly and spending a lot of resources, as I have to opt for either water armor which lets me take poison damage from the larvae or poison armor which lets me die from water ball.

2. Attacking them with CC

3. Spellbreaking them

My stats/gear:

16ih5zd.jpg

Homun is Dieter. Not pictured is insect resist carded gear and blue armor for water ball.

Any suggestions? Either strategy or highest cost/benefit gear suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 kappakeepokupo

kappakeepokupo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationPH
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

First of all, get levels so you can get 120 dex for Acid Bombing

Upper HG: +7 Cylinder/+9 Faceworm Egg Shell(Engkanto Carded)
Mid: Tengu Mask/Seraph Coronet
Lower: Tengu Scroll
Armor: +9/+10 Evil Dragon Armor(Evil Druid Carded)
Weapon: +15 Crimson Mace(2x AK Carded)
Shield: Any bigfoot carded shield/Alice carded VShield for bosses
Garment: +9 DR HBP/+9 DR FAW EA10
Shoes: +9 Temp Dex EA4/BP or EA4/LD (what you prefer better)
Accessories: 2x Sapphire Wrists or 1x Sapph + 1 PDM (both GScaraba Carded)

Basically, get levels first as you will have more HP and stats to compensate for lack of gears. Getting leech and survivability is priority in FW. Using an Undead Armor will cancel all the poison attacks of the normal mobs, you'll just have to tank the initial wave of normal attacks. That's where DR and the bigfoot card comes in. AFAIK tatachio only works on neutral propery mobs (someone correct me on this), so ditch that. Don't forget to bring elemental armors (water for 2nd stage, fire for 3rd, also wind for FWQ). The faceworm headgear will give you a huge damage boost, but seeing as you are lacking in levels, cylinder will be more useful right now.

#3 fenrir99

fenrir99

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

First of all, get levels so you can get 120 dex for Acid Bombing

Upper HG: +7 Cylinder/+9 Faceworm Egg Shell(Engkanto Carded)
Mid: Tengu Mask/Seraph Coronet
Lower: Tengu Scroll
Armor: +9/+10 Evil Dragon Armor(Evil Druid Carded)
Weapon: +15 Crimson Mace(2x AK Carded)
Shield: Any bigfoot carded shield/Alice carded VShield for bosses
Garment: +9 DR HBP/+9 DR FAW EA10
Shoes: +9 Temp Dex EA4/BP or EA4/LD (what you prefer better)
Accessories: 2x Sapphire Wrists or 1x Sapph + 1 PDM (both GScaraba Carded)

Basically, get levels first as you will have more HP and stats to compensate for lack of gears. Getting leech and survivability is priority in FW. Using an Undead Armor will cancel all the poison attacks of the normal mobs, you'll just have to tank the initial wave of normal attacks. That's where DR and the bigfoot card comes in. AFAIK tatachio only works on neutral propery mobs (someone correct me on this), so ditch that. Don't forget to bring elemental armors (water for 2nd stage, fire for 3rd, also wind for FWQ). The faceworm headgear will give you a huge damage boost, but seeing as you are lacking in levels, cylinder will be more useful right now.

You don’t need those gears to do FW, but you should level more so you can make the most of your char. With GX you can do FW as soon as you hit 140, with Gene is kinda different except if you have DR and lots of leech.

Bigfoot Card and other racial shield cards (Shadow, Demon) are pretty good for instances as a low level.

Check Havenn videos on YouTube, he made FW as a Gene a thing way before OCP. There’s a famous private server youtuber also, check it out ;).

Edit: Tatacho sucks
I only swap Cylinder to Egg Shell when bombing the Queen and the mini bosses.

Edited by fenrir99, 15 May 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#4 carbinemortiser

carbinemortiser

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationAvalon
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

You just need 3 gears TBH.
1. Faceworm Eggshell carded with Engkanto
2. Slotted mids carded with Engkanto
3. Poison / Undead armor. Be careful not to get hit by the exploding eggs if you want to use Undead armor.
Optional: Water and Fire armor

Tips on the Dark Faceworm:
1. Just CC the Dark FW and stay close so you also kill the mobs while you CC.
2. Wear water armor if the waterball still hurts
3. Wear fire armor at the start of the stage if you can't run fast enough.
4. Just avoid the Pink Mist. Sometimes crazy vines can help you escape the mist if ever you get stuck in it but it will regen quickly so you need to quickly get out of it.

Edited by carbinemortiser, 15 May 2018 - 04:33 PM.

#5 Zayaan

Zayaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1800 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

Tips for the 1st and 2nd Dark Faceworms:

1. Hug an L shaped corner, doing so will force 2 of the 4 Eggs to spawn on dead cells
  2. Hug a U shaped corner, doing so will force 3 of the 4 hidden Waterball mobs to spawn on dead cells

#6 kappakeepokupo

kappakeepokupo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationPH

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

You don’t need those gears to do FW, but you should level more so you can make the most of your char. With GX you can do FW as soon as you hit 140, with Gene is kinda different except if you have DR and lots of leech.

Bigfoot Card and other racial shield cards (Shadow, Demon) are pretty good for instances as a low level.

Check Havenn videos on YouTube, he made FW as a Gene a thing way before OCP. There’s a famous private server youtuber also, check it out ;).

Edit: Tatacho sucks
I only swap Cylinder to Egg Shell when bombing the Queen and the mini bosses.

Yeah just listing out the best gears he can get. Plus some of those gears are also good outside of FW, so yeah :u

#7 3025140119203620510

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

Why do you needd Enkanto card? I thought CC ignores DEF already. 

#8 Casval17

Casval17

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1376 posts
  • LocationAxis Debris
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

^Because people who post it do proper reading and fully understand what the card effect is :P

Edited by Casval17, 15 May 2018 - 09:44 PM.

#9 kappakeepokupo

kappakeepokupo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationPH

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

^Because people who post it do proper reading and fully understand what the card effect is :P

No need to be snide about it.

Engkanto Card increases damage to Poison element monsters by 30%

#10 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:44 AM

Thank you for the answers!

After a few hours in biolabs I leveled up enough to get the 120 dex cast reduction bonus and wow did that work wonders. I didn't realize just how much of AB was fixed cast time. First worm is now a cakewalk simply because I can kill it before it spawns anything at all and things get messy.

That being said, the second one is now murdering me. I can survive Water Ball kind of decently with water armor but it just never stops. I get stunlocked for many many seconds and then I die.

I tried running for it and hugging a corner, but the waterballs seemingly stunlocked me before the dark worm was even on the screen.

This time I saved a replay, by the way.

https://mega.nz/#!McUWjZQa!HCiHlzEdkUBkT7l8dl3nopV0k9cB7oNktD7uqxJ7V3s

I've watched the speedrun-ish YT videos but couldn't get much from them other than the fact that I suck at herding those worms lol.

#11 kappakeepokupo

kappakeepokupo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationPH

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

Try stacking water armor + alice vshield + coldproof potions. Waterball should just tickle at that point. 

#12 MrLekkz

MrLekkz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:43 AM

From my experience, it seems that It's not the 2nd dark faceworm that casts waterball, but "hidden npcs" that spawn near it after every x seconds and stays there while dark faceworm is alive.

What you could do to avoid getting murdered by its waterball:

After spawning the dark faceworm, run and lure it to another spot (far from the hidden npcs that spam waterball) -> use your main attacking skill (ab or cc) -> lure it to another spot -> use your main attacking skill -> rinse and repeat till you kill the dark faceworm

Edited by MrLekkz, 17 May 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#13 carbinemortiser

carbinemortiser

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationAvalon

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

I don't get how stun lock is relevant to this. Are you using uninterruptible cast gears? Just bomb those worms to death.

#14 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

I don't get how stun lock is relevant to this. Are you using uninterruptible cast gears? Just bomb those worms to death.

Oh.

Oooooh.

My cast interrupt protection was on the Poisoning Orleans Gown. By switching to water armor it went away. xD

Thanks everyone. I got to the queen now. I ran out of tokens but there were no cheap tricks, so it should be a matter of practice to clear that.

#15 Doomsquare

Doomsquare

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • Server:iRO Brooms \o/

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:37 AM

check my siggi

#16 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

I just uploaded this vid where I talk through some of the instances / strategies.

Timestamp for FW is ~46:30

Sorry, the guide uses a lot fancier gear than you have listed. But hopefully you can pick up on some of the strategies. Specifically the egg bomb / poison stage. Using weaker gear will increase your cost of materials (bombs and potions). But it should still be possible to do with your setup given enough time. 

Gear recommendations in order of priority (as you are able to afford them):

Thanatos Hammer

Deadly EDA or Orleans gown

Temporal Dex Boots

Faceworm Eggshell (Engkanto)

Midgears (Engkanto)

Fallen Angel Wing (EA enchants / any card)

Crimson Mace

Ogretooth Shield (MBS if using EDA. Valk Shield is fine otherwise.

Alice Shield (Same as above)

Royal Guard Shield atk buff swap

Mob Scarf

Sapphire Wrist

PDM

Edited by Scuba, 19 May 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#17 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:36 PM

Thanks, I am trying out various instances and trying to farm them to varying levels of success (so far none has been as profitable as FW) so having reference is appreciated.

Yeah, I had an epiphany in which I realized I was spending half of what I earned in acid bombs, so I'm killing all the DFWs but the first with CC only. TBH AB is only like 3x the DPS so I plan to use it very sparingly from now on.

I have a +7 EDA and a bunch of leftover enriched eluniums, so that one is a matter of praying every maintenance for the hammer to come back.

Is it any good to swap a +7 triple kingbird naght sieger for a +4 kingbird thanatos? I have sword mastery so that is +50 atk that is going away as well. Since ideally I would eventually get a crimson mace it seems sub-optimal to buy the middle option.

Why would you recommend Royal Guard shield? I'm thinking of getting an Alice card but I don't want to waste it on Valk if it isn't an optimal shield.

Are the enchants on the dex boots unequivocally better than the card or can I get away with my superior boots?

Faceworm Eggshell seems like an item that would be great for any other class but gene. I can't imagine doing without CHB.

Also, is it that easy to clear the instance with GX? As in, level 140 eden gears, maybe enforcer shoes at most? I have an assassin cross I might focus a little more on if that's the case.

Edited by 2047170907232203233, 19 May 2018 - 10:37 PM.

#18 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:23 PM

I always default Eggshell for the instance. CHB does a little more damage with CC, but Eggshell gives a lot more defensive benefits, and CHB does nothing for bomb, wheras Eggshell will make it do like 50% more damage. Hence 50% reduced cost on bombs. Money saved is money earned. But if you can't afford Eggshell, 2x Engkanto Uppers will do 60% more damage, so that may be something you try and go for first. You can always de-card into an eggshell when you get one.

Thanatos will reduce your costs pretty substantially. Either Kingbird or Malicious should be good. Keep in mind Thana gives you a good amount of MATK so you won't lose that much damage compared to bombing with Twin. Unless your twin has enchants maybe? *shrug* I believe sword mastery is mastery attack. so your 30,000 CC is doing 30,050 thanks to that.

Enchants are better than card IMO for boots, but since you already have +9 Temp Dex I wouldn't invest in another pair before you grab some other helpful gear. What you have is fine for now. But I run with EA / Lucky Day, LD doesn't have any negative effects when it procs, and you get a good amount of atk from the luk stats. Plus Expert Archer on your shoes will help with more damage. More damage = Less Supplies. General rule there.

GX should clear it much cheaper than Gene. I don't run GX, but I have a friend that does. I'll try and get him to chime in.

For general purpose, I would use a bigfoot carded shield. 30% reduction on everything in there. Alice is only 40% so you aren't missing out on much by not spending a ton on a new alice shield. 

#19 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:37 AM

Slowly burning 20m to de-socket somehow hurts my soul more than having a Incubus twice that price run away. I think I'll save to get a slotted mid+engkanto so that zeny is not lost.

50 damage? Seriously? I spent 5 skill points on that... Well, I guess I'll have to do a skill reset when I get sapph anyway, since I didn't level aid condensed potion.

I do have a Bigfoot card. I'll just put it on a bradium shield or something. Seems like a waste to spend a Valk shield on it for now, since my priority with buying that to begin with was to survive biolabs and biolabs doesn't have insects (not in the literal sense at least). The small water resistance difference shouldn't matter much since I don't have trouble with water ball anymore and the insect reduction will still net decrease its damage.

#20 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:36 AM

There is a free stat and skill reset at the eden group mesmerist if you haven't used it already. But yeah, mastery attack is total butts.

I forgot that valk shield have gone up because of safe cert prices. Normally that is what I tend to use the most. But the card is the important part I suppose, more so than the shield itself. 

So it looks like that would take care of headgear, mid, lower, armor, weapon, shield, HBP is good, Shoes are good. I don't know much about the spell break strategy. But if it works for you keep doing it. Only other opportunity I see would be maybe getting a fairy leaf powder (cheapest high-end accessory I can think of) while you save up zeny for Sapphire or something else. Then consider running more instances to earn more zeny per day so you can afford better gear faster.

#21 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

I tried luring the queen to the sides to make it rage and glitch out. It transformed into water and one-shotted me with frost diver repeatedly even with water armor and coldproof pot.

Spellbreaker doesn't work too well. You just repeatedly fail to cancel an earthquake and then you die. Using it on the eggs doesn't seem to do anything on the queen fight somehow.

Is it OK to get rid of FCP once I'm done with bio4 leveling? I've no idea where else to take the points for ACP from.

What instances would you recommend? The only instances I have managed to clear yet are Ghost Palace and Hazy Forest, both of which give less zeny/hour than farming TI with lower level characters.

#22 carbinemortiser

carbinemortiser

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationAvalon

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Is it OK to get rid of FCP once I'm done with bio4 leveling? I've no idea where else to take the points for ACP from.

No please. FCP is a very important skill. Can you post your skill tree?

#23 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

Then I can put third class job points into it I guess. The plan is for the skill tree to be like this:

https://irowiki.org/...AqsrEjNrA2eakwY

#24 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:13 AM

I tried luring the queen to the sides to make it rage and glitch out. It transformed into water and one-shotted me with frost diver repeatedly even with water armor and coldproof pot.

Spellbreaker doesn't work too well. You just repeatedly fail to cancel an earthquake and then you die. Using it on the eggs doesn't seem to do anything on the queen fight somehow.

What instances would you recommend? The only instances I have managed to clear yet are Ghost Palace and Hazy Forest, both of which give less zeny/hour than farming TI with lower level characters.

http://irowiki.org/~...eAqsrakCl3eakwY

Yeah, no idea how to deal with water element queen. I usually try and get it to enrage again. But even I just let myself die and use a VIP res for it. EQ is very short range, so once she starts casting it you can just run away. When I first started I skipped the queen entirely. The supply cost is way higher for the last 2 skins than for the first 4.

Any of the instances in the video will make you money. The first few times you do any instance it will probably cost you like 5x more than once you get the muscle memory for it. Faceworm requires the most practice out of all of them. I highly recommend doing the 16.1 and 16.2 daily instances to earn tokens. If you keep it up consistently you can cash them in for very very expensive robes. Or you can sell enchantment attempts if you want to make money faster. RG Shield is 450m right now, and costs 800 tokens. https://irowiki.org/wiki/Honor_Token . If you get ~20 tokens per day that amounts to 11-12mil per run you do, and it takes about 5 minutes once you get it down. The problem is, it takes a long time to pay out.

#25 2047170907232203233

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

I'm doing the The Hope You Cannot Let Go instance now, thanks.

Do you guys know how to defeat Coelacanth on Malangdo Culvert? Using water armor gets me killed by LoV, not using it gets me killed by water ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users