The Hoarder Mentality - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

The Hoarder Mentality

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

YongKY got me thinking about this a bit more, and its been on my mind for a while now so i think i'll go ahead and get this out of the way.

First off, to be clear my stance on hoarding is: i dont really care what you do. hoard or don't hoard, it makes no difference to me. but as mentioned in another post, i do find over-hoarding distasteful.

Then why the post? Because i hope to get people thinking a bit more about the results of what hoarding actually does to the server.

So lets take mob scarf for example, since everyone's in a pinch about it at the moment.

1. WPE buyer spends 10-20k on OCP remixes, and we'll say they wind up with 4 mob scarves to be fair. One for keeps, 3 to resell later when the item is gone from OCP. Keep in mind, more than one person is doing this. You can already expect an influx of mob scarves into the server through KP spenders which adds onto the already existing hoarded stash from prior box releases.

2. Remix box disappears and hoarders immediately want to raise the price by at least 1b, every single time.

3. Actual zeny spenders on the hunt for mob scarves become hesitant to pay that extra price due to its sudden overcharged price from hoarders, who generally are so greedy that they will not budge their price at all.

4. It becomes increasingly difficult for hoarders to sell their mob scarves because they keep raising the price and trying to push for the absence of mob scarf from boxes through forum posts so that they can continue raising the price further than they already did.

5. Actual zeny spenders become increasingly irritated with the new 'current price' of mob scarves, and start the opposition posting on forums for mob scarves to come back because they don't want to pay 4-5b for something that should generally be accepted as 2-3b maximum.

6. GMs/CMs eventually cave into the buyers side because they want everyone to be happy, but buyer happiness mostly comes first. (hardcore subject to debate, but you should understand what i mean). As such, they re-release the item in a box.

7. More mob scarves are now introduced to the server on top of the ones already in existence from multiple generations of hoarders. And now, since they're in boxes again, those who don't have will also attempt to box their way to victory or at least buy at a fairer price w/ zeny.

8. The cycle repeats itself, on top of itself.

In short, the fact that all of you hoarders want to overcharge and play the same game that everyone else is playing is creating a backup.

In my opinion, if hoarders were to be less greedy with their price settings, things would get sold faster and people wouldn't have as much of a need to buy boxes since they were getting their items at fair prices. Also, with a lack of spending on actual boxes, you're less likely to get multiples of items that you don't want to come back in boxes in the first place.

So, TLDR? Your hoarder mentality is a double edged sword that is currently working against you.

Edited by Fuuton, 18 October 2018 - 12:46 PM.

#2 Nirvanna21

Nirvanna21

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9553 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

I am the opposite of hoarding, I undercut hard and fast because I just wanna move on.

#3 HunkSurvivor

HunkSurvivor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

Econ 101 https://en.wikipedia...eet_(2013_film)

#4 DrArthur

DrArthur

Amateur Blogger

• Banned
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:01 PM

Hoarders are game-destroying trash. Prices are so stupidly high on RO for items with such ridiculously high supply. It just doesn't make sense. Supply far exceeds demand most of the time but people think they can still keep charging two kidneys for their silly item that no one's willing to pay for it for the 6 months they've had their chats up.

#5 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

I am the opposite of hoarding, I undercut hard and fast because I just wanna move on.

i am 1000% with you on this. in the amount of time it takes people to sit in eden and vend something for 1.2-1.5b, i could simply 1b it, get the consumables i need for restock, then slam ET and make 5x that amount. all because i chose to get the quick buck.

remember folks, sometimes the quicker Z is the better Z.

#6 KingPoring86

KingPoring86

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LocationPoring Island
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

Desperate times , desperate measures ( eden players are just waiting for desperate buyer / players )

Sadly there are still noob buyer who are willing to spend on OP stuff lol.. ( they cant survive if this keep up )

There are many reason why players quit this game ( one of them is inflation ~ duh is ''poring'' obvious)

How many more ''new'' players need that mob scarf ? ( like srsly , hoarders should try see the logins lol )

Im not poor nor rich in this game , i just hoard the zeny to myself since is not worth spending on a single item 

Yes , if this keep up ? is not healthy even for WP ... ( the list is ok for newbies who wanted a fresh start )

Not so much for us who already got the item ... ( that why sometimes i dont understand what they thinking )

Edited by KingPoring86, 18 October 2018 - 01:34 PM.

#7 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

Would you believe me if I told you that I have 10 Mobs sitting in the dust because each of my RGs already have it, and I’m happy if Warpportal will release Mob again in Remix? :D

#8 KingPoring86

KingPoring86

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LocationPoring Island

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Well i dont care if you hoard them to yourself (but other hoarders , hoard them for other purpose) 

#9 Handersen

Handersen

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3272 posts
  • Server:chaos

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

I think one of the reason we have ocp remix or fire sale so that there are no one can monopolize the item. Maybe one day we will have mvp card in a box so ppl that can’t camp that mvp 24/7 will get a chance

#10 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

Same. Ain't nobody got time to vend  :heh:

Never thought much of hoarding though to be honest.

What pisses me off the most about the market is the Ragial exploiters. I swear some have been putting a ton of effort into this lately.

Cleared my storage of useless cards lately and -_- worth 50,000z were listed at 5-20m. Same for countless items of all types.

#11 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

I agree, don't hoard, sell me a hero trade mail nowwwwwwwwww

#12 Nanum

Nanum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

Honestly I blame the OCPs for having such low rates, they bringh OCP remix so we can have more itens on market but it doesn't metter because OCP remix rates feels worse than normal OCP *shrug*

#13 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:54 PM

I think one of the reason we have ocp remix or fire sale so that there are no one can monopolize the item. Maybe one day we will have mvp card in a box so ppl that can’t camp that mvp 24/7 will get a chance

We should have every MvP in instance of course but eh some people have time to camp while some people have money to spend.

#14 yauhoilun

yauhoilun

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1664 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

Would you believe me if I told you that I have 10 Mobs sitting in the dust because each of my RGs already have it, and I’m happy if Warpportal will release Mob again in Remix? :D

I believe in your dress hoarding only

#15 pao0

pao0

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

typical human behavior. for me its nothing new.

p.s. i don't hoard. only have almost 1 set of items for my char

#16 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

I believe in your dress hoarding only

:ani_shy:  :ani_shy:  :ani_shy:

#17 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:22 PM

i dont blame hoarding. it is their strategy to make money. i have my own strategy too, which i will not share

#18 yauhoilun

yauhoilun

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1664 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:25 PM

i dont blame hoarding. it is their strategy to make money. i have my own strategy too, which i will not share

I remember your way! Making tons of +10 lacryma at refine event ;)

#19 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:27 PM

Everyone has their own means to make zeny. Anyway, there are both legit and non legit methods. Do whatever you think works best for you. Everyone is different in personalities, skills, and resources  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:

Edited by ChakriGuard, 18 October 2018 - 04:28 PM.

#20 VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1236 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

I hoard various different usable items to fight against inflation. My 1B used to be able to buy so many things, but now I can barely afford an OCP item with 1B. I'll still be better off holding these items versus holding zeny even if the said usable items I'm hoarding fall by half.

Edited by VanishingPoint, 18 October 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#21 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

Prices are so stupidly high on RO for items with such ridiculously high supply. It just doesn't make sense. Supply far exceeds demand most of the time but people think they can still keep charging two kidneys for their silly item that no one's willing to pay for it for the 6 months they've had their chats up.

missed this earlier when i was rushing chores/errands. i agree with this hardcore too, especially the bit about supply far exceeding demand. too many people spend actual cash on this game (lets face it, most of us do likely this form of gambling enough lol) so there's already your influx right there, and most noobs wont be able to afford the prices being charged so there's more backlog.

p.s. i don't hoard. only have almost 1 set of items for my char

and also this too, mostly just for the OP ocp stuff. 2 keraunos or 2 arquiens is fine, but i dont need 2 mob scarves or 10 tengu sets or 8 seraphim coronets etc etc personally. but then again, im not doing something that requires me to have multiples of the same gear either. only way that would happen is if i somehow scored 12 gtb cards in this lifetime and began gearing the entire gen account. i do have a couple DR's but each are in their own respective garment.. stuff like that really. within reason.

#22 KielConstantine

KielConstantine

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:16 PM

Nice topic.

I only need each set of gears to perform better in game.

And I'm so glad the price went down to the bottom like Enforcer Shoes; Tengu Mask; Survivor Sets; Sunnies; Cylinders when they were reintroduced on remixes.

Many people can have access using them.

For hoarding; sometimes it's a good business model, it has risks though.

(look at that Tengu Mask price. Still 150M / ea lmao) I believe many hoarders hoping the price skyroketing to 1B since 2-3 months ago. And they are crying waiting.

Good fortune for Enforcer Shoes, pricing is going back to 800m - 1B ; I bought them cheap as 100m. And i just buy one shoes for using it w/ Meteor Assault.

I usually hoard 100 Bunny Box (Enriched, HD, Brads) when they are on the Item Mall list. Buy it with IRL money.

And resell it when Enriched event / Shadow refine event comes with profit around 30-50% each box.

#23 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:03 PM

Hoarding is fine in general, it’s a business strategy but it ain’t really going to apply to everyone. RO has always had hoarders, a few ppls becoming trillionaires due to investment on hoarded items. The problem arises when too many ppls are trying to hoard, it creates a bubble that ain’t going to last, and it can backfire. Just like the stock market, there are times you need to let go of your greed, and sell your rising stocks or it will eventually fall.

Also the choice of hoarding is tricky, not every item is worth hoarding, and hoarders sometimes don’t understand this. The most successful hoarders are the ones who are always a step ahead, some actually have insider information from WP to know when a remix box with better rate will come out so they will sell right before that. Most ppls don’t have the knowledge of what items are worth hoarding, nor do they have such insider information, so they end up losing money with items they can’t sell.

To sum up, hoarding may seem fascinating but before you do it, you should understand the risk and consequence. Not everyone has the talent, connection and patience to be good hoarders, don’t jump to the bandwagon if it ain’t suitable for you. You will be better off making zeny in other ways.

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 18 October 2018 - 10:04 PM.

#24 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10845 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:40 PM

Its actually not hard to tell which one to hoard. Insider information is a bonus for cool kids club but nothing is fair in this world anyway. Mind you, I am not in the club. Just like in WoE, I had to fight cheaters without cheaters  :pif:  :pif:  :pif:

Just one of my items that i hoarded, bought them at +0 for 65m. Got almost 100 wings, I believe and sold most of them at +9 anywhere between 800 - 1.2b lol

Until now NTF is still a popular place to level. Ran out of Enriched, so these all wings that I got to +9  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  

Edited by ChakriGuard, 18 October 2018 - 11:45 PM.

#25 Diskence

Diskence

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1311 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:30 PM

It's true, hoarding is a double-edged sword since you never know if your item will be thrown into a remix box and become super cheap out of nowhere.

But in general it's good to buy things for really cheap when people are trying to get rid of them and resell them in a few month. I bought a lot of Enforcer Shoes when they were in the remix for 100mil each and I've been selling a lot of them for 500mil+ lately.

Imo, don't hoard the expensive ones, they are usually gonna be thrown into a remix box. Like Dog Tag I'm pretty sure will be in the next remix box at some point. If you wana hoard, hoard something cheap and will most likely not be in a remix box but still desirable. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users