Returning player after 4-year hiatus - need advice on GX - Thief Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Returning player after 4-year hiatus - need advice on GX

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:41 AM

Hi all! I'm a returning player after a 3-4 year hiatus. I left when the max level of 175 was newly implemented (it was 150 before that) and I've started playing again for the past month. I feel I am incredibly out of touch with the latest OP equips, latest instances for levelling, builds/strategies and the inflation is also startling!

Currently I am level 150/49, and my equips are:

Upper Head: +9 Maestro RWH

Middle Head: Blinker

Lower Head: Pirate Dagger

Armor: +4 Nab cloth of wild cat, FS7

Weapon: +9 Aural Beast Claw, FS11 / +9 GBR / +9 Inverse Scale FS12

Garment: +9 Immune HBP

Footgear: +9 Superior Enhanced Variant Shoes

Accessory: 2x Rogue's Treasures

+5 basic af shadow set

Str 90, Agi 110, Vit 95, Int 1, Dex 60, Luk 70; RC/CRS build at the moment, highly reliant on EDP. Also I'm not a VIP member nor do I have KP points so I wont be buying those care package things. 

My few questions are:

1. I am currently still depending on High TI for levelling but I wont be able to enter it anymore once I hit lvl 151, where should I go to next? 

2. I was told by some current players that MA build is an 'in' thing now due to enforcer boots(?). I see a lot of GXs solo TI with MA too. Is it better than RC/CRS? Should I even bother changing my build? 

3. I am tempted to update my equips, I read that the 'in' katars now are Thanatos Katar and Crimson katar? What would you recommend and why? I'm looking for something that is good both for levelling and also potentially end game.

4. Do the rest of my equipment need updating? and if yes, what would you recommend? At the moment I have about 300m in zeny but I can sell a bunch of old costumes to get maybe 1b+?? 2b if I let go of some really pretty costumes that I really want to keep though. lel. I'm a poor bij.

5. Are the newer (new to me anyways lol) shadow equips worth getting? What would you recommend? How does one even get them? I dont remember how I got my old set loool

6. If I were to update my katars and sell my current beast claw and inverse scale with those sick FS enchants, how much do you reckon I could sell them for?

All helpful replies are welcome :) thanks in advaaaance!

Edited by 8018131218085257527, 20 December 2018 - 07:02 AM.

#2 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:51 AM

Short version

If you are 150 head to nightmare clock tower and kill big bells. You might need to reset your stats and get more Dex or use hit gears/foods. You are in luck because Santa in prontera fountain will be giving resets. Be careful though big bells hit hard.

MA build with enforcer shoes has been very nice change for me. If you can get a Thanatos Katar that should be enough. RC works too but you'll just have to use edps which aren't too expensive right now. With rwh and Thana Katar and if you can get a evil dragon armor would probably won't have to use pots unless it's an emergency.

You can also hunt the gray shards on your own for the Thana Katar. The instance is very easy.

Edited by hammie, 20 December 2018 - 06:56 AM.

#3 Vladdin

Vladdin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationJuno
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:36 AM

If you're returning from a LOOOONG Hiatus,

I suggest reading the updates tab at playragnarok.com for the things you've missed. http://www.playragna...ws/updates.aspx

For GX, I think there might be a good guide at the Classes Section > Thief ?

irowiki.org also helps you get up to date with the Overseas Care Package Items revolving ALL OVER Midgard.

Nightmare clock tower is a good way to max, as I've done it there.

You'll need to change the RWH to a +9 happy flapping angeling wing tho if you want more damage with a free Deviling card effect in in.

#4 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:14 AM

It's not necessary to change the rwh. It's nice to have flappy wing but I don't think it's a must have. But you do you. Good luck!

#5 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:46 AM

If you're returning from a LOOOONG Hiatus,

I suggest reading the updates tab at playragnarok.com for the things you've missed. http://www.playragna...ws/updates.aspx

For GX, I think there might be a good guide at the Classes Section > Thief ?

irowiki.org also helps you get up to date with the Overseas Care Package Items revolving ALL OVER Midgard.

Nightmare clock tower is a good way to max, as I've done it there.

You'll need to change the RWH to a +9 happy flapping angeling wing tho if you want more damage with a free Deviling card effect in in.

It is indeed a LOOONG hiatus, I could have gotten a new degree in the 4 years I was gone. That update summary link is super useful thanks!

I did check out the pinned guide in Thief Classes Section but its outdated I think? The guide is up to level 150 anyways, and the guy who created that post has stopped playing for a few years :(

Short version

If you are 150 head to nightmare clock tower and kill big bells. You might need to reset your stats and get more Dex or use hit gears/foods. You are in luck because Santa in prontera fountain will be giving resets. Be careful though big bells hit hard.

MA build with enforcer shoes has been very nice change for me. If you can get a Thanatos Katar that should be enough. RC works too but you'll just have to use edps which aren't too expensive right now. With rwh and Thana Katar and if you can get a evil dragon armor would probably won't have to use pots unless it's an emergency.

You can also hunt the gray shards on your own for the Thana Katar. The instance is very easy.

Can I get the long version? :P

Thanks for the tips. Had to google what gray shards were and I think I might give it a try! I upped my dex to 67 for now (I had unused stat points i didnt know what to use on previously); what do you reckon I should aim for? 90?

#6 YongkySH

YongkySH

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4113 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:51 AM

467 hit for big bell

#7 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:00 AM

My current rc/CRS build is.
120 STR
101 (leftover point)AGI
4int(leftover points)
90 VIT
90 DEX
90 LUK

I use temp bear powers boots with FS. Might get something else. Just not enough time to play currently. If you can get evil dragon+Thanatos kata r you should be fine with leveling. Big bells do hit you with blind so get something for that or use green pots. While in NCT don't bother killing the mimics or ridewords. Not worth it and the books have high flee.

This is the thread I made when I came back. The advice people gave was really helpful.
https://forums.warpp...-solo-leveling/

For money I would do hazy dragon for the oca's or ancient daggers(I saved to be turned in for energy fragments which are used to get bio5headgears) old glast heim and the gray shards instance. I forgot what that's called. Keep in mind I also had VIP.

Edited by hammie, 20 December 2018 - 09:04 AM.

#8 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:51 PM

Forgot to add that if you do old glast heim instance you can save the coagulated spells to make your own temp boots.

#9 Vladdin

Vladdin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationJuno

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

150-175 is either bio4 parties (lighthalzen) or solo NCT (nightmare clock tower)

yeah flappy wing isn't necessary, if you just want to finish the board.

it is only necessary if you want to finish it faster.

#10 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:00 AM

Thanks you both!

Hammie the old thread you shared pretty much contains the same tips/information I needed haha. I'm in the same situation you were in a year ago so it's super relatable. Will be referring to that a lot :) thanks!

#11 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:45 AM

How much do you reckon the +9 Aural Beast Claw FS11 and +9 Inverse Scale FS12 are worth? 

#12 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:37 PM

Someone tried selling for 400mill on ragial. No idea of it sold. You could look up how to do those Vends with "window shopping" prices? Forgot what it's called. But you put an item for let's say 1z and people basically pm you how much they offer.

#13 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:44 PM

Someone tried selling for 400mill on ragial. No idea of it sold. You could look up how to do those Vends with "window shopping" prices? Forgot what it's called. But you put an item for let's say 1z and people basically pm you how much they offer.

Yeah that was me trying to sell it at that price :P but I got dced shortly after and won’t be able to try again until next week when I’m back from my holiday.

Do you mean open a conversation in Eden? Won’t ppl just buy it off my shop at 1z if I put it at that price?

#14 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:33 AM

You can open a chat box and try selling that way. The method I am talking about won't let the customer purchase the item for 1z. I can't they what that is called or where to purchase the item that lets you open a vendor shop like that. I'm not at home currently to check either

#15 YangeWenli

YangeWenli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2404 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 25 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

Yeah that was me trying to sell it at that price :P but I got dced shortly after and won’t be able to try again until next week when I’m back from my holiday.

Do you mean open a conversation in Eden? Won’t ppl just buy it off my shop at 1z if I put it at that price?

You have to have Max zeny to vend a item at 1z without it selling plenty people do that to get offers on their high tier items

#16 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

Ooohhh I thought it was an item like bulk bend. My bad!!! Sorry for misinformation!

#17 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:14 PM

Ohhhhh no wonder! and just out of curiosity, how much is max zeny?

#18 MoyuZ777

MoyuZ777

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2081 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:07 PM

2,147,483,647 which is the maximum number of a 32bit system which RO was made on.

#19 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:55 AM

Then how do people buy stuff that cost more than that? Trade?

#20 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

Depending on how much the item is you can either get a GM to help, trade with multiple characters or I actually think that is it. Let's say you are selling item A for 5b and you get a buyer. You can get 3 characters at a spot ready to do the trade. The buyer may ask you to give them a item worth 2b to hold in case you run off after the first trade. I normally trade item A on the last deal. I hope people trust me even though they don't know me as well as they know other players around here. This might be confusing, sorry. I try not to buy from novices or 1class characters. I also have not bought an item over 6b or sold one over 6b. I'm sure other people can give better advice

Edited by hammie, 27 December 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#21 Hendra88

Hendra88

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

always deal with main to main method in trade above 1B ... never trade with any novice or non 3rd max lvl char, because making a max lvl character is a pain so people rarely scammed if doing m2m trade .. and always record and take SS of your trade either buy or sell, as precaution

#22 DuskShadowX

DuskShadowX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationThe West , began Ragnarok ONline in 2003
  • Server:ReNewal: Chaos

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:03 AM

Ffs this is the most inflated economy...venezuela isnt even this rocky, and I am not being edgy, just an observation. Back in 2003, nobody had multi million or billion value items. Still makes no sense roflolmfao.. >,;,,<

#23 8018131218085257527

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:02 AM

Cool guys, thanks for the tips :) about the inflation, yeah it’s painful when you take a break from the game for years and then return to see that some of your gears are worth like 30% or less of what it used to be. but good news is that some are worth more than it used to be as well, like the HBP and FAW etc. Just like real life, best not to keep cash and invest instead. LOL never thought I’d relate RO economics to real life.

Speaking of gears, I’m currently using two rogues treasures as accessories. Any recommendations on what I should switch to for better damage?

Also I’m tossing between a +9 double malicious crimson katar vs a +9 Mali Thanatos katar. Is there any calculator I can use to see which one has more ATK?

#24 SeiginoYuusha

SeiginoYuusha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:19 AM

Nirvanna web calculator seems no longer hosted in the old address.

http://calculator.crmindexer.org/

and latest pandanjam calculator seems busted too intentionally removed by the Author which is Nirvanna himself.

http://calculator.pandanjam.com

Try join otterly, he seems to share the updated link to fellow guild members or PM him directly for the source code.

Edited by SeiginoYuusha, 02 January 2019 - 02:25 AM.

#25 hammie

hammie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:55 AM

After i came back to RO I used a +4 Mali Thanatos katar and eventually upgraded it to +9. After I had more gears,levels and funds I made a DBL Mali crimson katar for sinx MA and that worked just fine for me. I think CK does slightly more damage? But Thana katar gives sp as well. I still use mine.

As for accessories thus is what I can think of at the top of my head. I used two keraunos till I got a temp ring from a box.
Keraunos (about100m)
Versus core for hit
Temp ring 4 to 4.5b combo with temp boots
Blacksmith glove
Perverse demon mask I think 1.5b?

I would personally get a Mali Thanatos Katarina.

Edited by hammie, 02 January 2019 - 08:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users