Is this game still active ? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Is this game still active ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Reflexer

Reflexer

I am New.

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:34 AM

Hey, I'm an old-timer gamer who's looking to get back into classic old school MMORPGs.

Was wondering if this game is still active. How many players are usually online at a time ?

I don't like playing alone :/

#2 astyrah

astyrah

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:59 AM

i've been playing on and off and from what i've seen the population fluctuates anywhere between 1100 to 1800ish depending on the time of the day and the day of the week :)

#3 lolitoni

lolitoni

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationYour heart.

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:07 AM

Ragnarök Online is still alive and breathing.

It is true that we don't have the same amount of players we used to have some years ago, but you can pretty much find people to talk with and guilds to enter and do a lot of activities. I won't say iRO is at its best, but definitely it isn't the worst (bRO is a terrible official-server for example). You still can find around 1000~1800 players online, depending on the day. Also, don't expect to find groups that easy, especially because most of players already have tons of characters and/or already filled their accounts with it as the jump event is on going. In general, I can say that Ragnarok is still a good game to play if you really want to experiment an old-mmorpg; and as happens in basically all mmorpgs, it becomes better if you bring some friends or find any guild in game.

#4 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:59 PM

The game will continue to live for at least few more years, some ppls have been calling it a dying game since 2016 but its not going away anytime soon.

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 25 February 2019 - 02:00 PM.

#5 Reflexer

Reflexer

I am New.

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Alright thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a shot !

Back in 2006 I was still a kid and I tried Ragnarok Online but, my little brain was too little to comprehend the mechanics. So I was technically grinding on hours for nothing.

Old Maple Story was something similar and me being a little more familiar with the class systems and mechanics, I stuck with that game.

But now that I'm an adult I kinda miss this complexity in games. I miss how you have to work to achieve something. Character progression.

I miss how easy it is to screw up your character by increasing the wrong stat, how much control you have over your own character progression.

I miss how every player has different builds from stats.

Those elements are just missing from games nowadays. You grind, pick up equipment. Doesn't matter the stats as long as it's got a higher "Gear score". No more stat allocation.

Every player are just the same when at the same level. Classes don't seem to matter too. It's all about DPS output now. It's just boring that way.

#6 andxres

andxres

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:10 PM

Alright thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a shot !

Back in 2006 I was still a kid and I tried Ragnarok Online but, my little brain was too little to comprehend the mechanics. So I was technically grinding on hours for nothing.
Old Maple Story was something similar and me being a little more familiar with the class systems and mechanics, I stuck with that game.

But now that I'm an adult I kinda miss this complexity in games. I miss how you have to work to achieve something. Character progression.
I miss how easy it is to screw up your character by increasing the wrong stat, how much control you have over your own character progression.
I miss how every player has different builds from stats.

Those elements are just missing from games nowadays. You grind, pick up equipment. Doesn't matter the stats as long as it's got a higher "Gear score". No more stat allocation.
Every player are just the same when at the same level. Classes don't seem to matter too. It's all about DPS output now. It's just boring that way.

Well stat alocation is important you know.

Gene without INT is retard.
Performer must balance INT,DEX,AGI to balance their stat.
GX still required good STR and LuK.

Every build need specific stat and build with imperial feather and temporal ring are different.

Maybe you just ALREADY know how to build each class so you feel bored.

#7 bgmds

bgmds

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:16 PM

Don't worry, this dying man(iRO) can still breath a few more times before it dies.

#8 mikkotinamide

mikkotinamide

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1391 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:05 AM

some ppls have been calling it a dying game since 2016 you were born

#9 astyrah

astyrah

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:30 AM

Well stat alocation is important you know.

Gene without INT is retard.
Performer must balance INT,DEX,AGI to balance their stat.
GX still required good STR and LuK.

Every build need specific stat and build with imperial feather and temporal ring are different.

Maybe you just ALREADY know how to build each class so you feel bored.

@andxres 

i think you misunderstood the OP... lol

he's saying that MMOs nowadays are boring because because it's all about gearscores/itemlevels/powerrating and there's no stat allocation in these new mmos unlike older mmos like RO.

#10 bgmds

bgmds

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:05 AM

The game can't really reach 1500, it had at least 2000 in average last year.

#11 Benderama

Benderama

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

Heya Reflexer, hit me up I’ll rock in game with ya if we’re able to link up. Don’t fret, if you want to play with others, you’ll always be able to.

I really wish the nonsense of claiming the game is dying would stop. IRO chaos is a unkillable creation. Short of something catastrophic in the real world going down, this game simply will never die.

I got a running theory I’ll share here. This game goes in waves, it always has, since the betas.

For example my glory days of IRO chaos are the beta eras. Everyone has their own opinion of the prime of IRO, because everyone had different experiences at different waves. In my view, IRO chaos now is stronger and better than it ever was, but my opinion is heavily bias to my experiences.

As for the feeling the game is empty, I believe that’s largely due to waves. Rite now due to janeway, the majority of players are in the mid and high Gramps leveling range, plugging away however they see fit. So if your manually leveling say 0-99 rite now, the game may seem to you more empty than normal. And that’s fully reasonable.

Now for the long term players, there is a ton of variables but in truth if you’re left feeling like the game is empty, that’s really your own choosing. When you rock with a set group often, well end game players tend to stick with that group. When a few part ways for whatever reason, it’s fully understandable that the game feels empty. Espically when your choosing not to seek out other people or jump into the current meta wave.

For the solo end gamers here who continue to make these claims. How can you? Your a soloer. Of course the game feels empty if you simply choose to solo. There’s no problem with choosing to play that way, but cmon make a freaking friend and stop crying wolf. If you want to play with others, put in the basic effort and accomplish it.

#12 Greenfu

Greenfu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

Come to Iro classic Loki, we need some active players.

#13 andxres

andxres

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

Classic can stay dying

#14 Greenfu

Greenfu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

Classic can stay dying

Take your word back. Thanks

#15 andxres

andxres

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

Take your word back. Thanks

But... I refuse!

#16 Seta2501

Seta2501

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:56 AM

Heck ya! :go:

#17 DarkOrinus

DarkOrinus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:31 AM

we need active players in iRO chaos too, why not just move in with us

#18 Astralslayer

Astralslayer

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationFar Far away~~

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Classic can stay dying

I laughed more than I should

On topic, the only hard issue this game has is it became from a f2p game to a p2w one. I came back after 4 years and the difference is...huge. At this rate the only thing we're missing is a lux skin in a OCP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users