How do people run 10+ alts? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

How do people run 10+ alts?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 orokamono

orokamono

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 12:34 AM

During Janeway runs I came across quite a few people pulling anywhere between 7 to a full 12 army party with little to no lag. Not being an avid PC gamer my computer can at best pull 3 after which lag starts to set in with every new client. Yet when I see people pull so many I'm always amazed and wonder what kind of rigs they have that can handle so many clients all at once. I'd ask them in-game but they are always in such a rush that I can never get a moment to ask them while on the field so I figured the forums would be a decent place.

tl;dr What specs does a PC have to have to be able to handle at least 10 or a full party of your own alts with some or no lag at all.

#2 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:19 AM

they probably use bot programs, very ram saving.

#3 Zayaan

Zayaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1800 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 01:57 AM

https://forums.warpp...onfig-template/

cpucooler option. That should allow you to run a few more clients.

#4 Batima

Batima

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:17 AM

Maybe using 2 computer with 6 clients each? or 2 ppl helping, not only 1. 12 is a bit hard without lag, but 8 I did and works fine here.

My cpu is FX8300, not the best one, but works nice.

#5 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 28 February 2019 - 02:38 AM

i can very smoothly run about 11~12 clients, and my PC isnt that great at all. Get roext btw

#6 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:29 AM

Just don't do it. Its only a game, friend.

#7 Ilindith

Ilindith

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1451 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

Just don't do it. Its only a game, friend.

Pays off when level gated events turn up though.

#8 awesomegeek

awesomegeek

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1629 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:26 AM

tl;dr What specs does a PC have to have to be able to handle at least 10 or a full party of your own alts with some or no lag at all.

my laptop is a Matebook X and i can run 3 clients decently.

it helps a lot when you set your client to full screen and lower the resolution and sprite level.

my main client is at a decent 1680 x 1050, max sprite and texture, but the other 2 are at the lowest setting possible.

running clients windowed takes a lot of resources and uses a lot of CPU utilization.

#9 gaurus

gaurus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationJuno

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:35 AM

I used windowed not full screen setting to help me navigate around different clients. Didnt know it used more resources than full screen but my hand didnt learn how to ALT-Tab properly so I guess I have to look at other option to make my laptop run less hot...

Gonna try some of the suggestions here thank you guys for insightful comment.

#10 PIayboy

PIayboy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • LocationRiding on a rainbow.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

i can run 12+ alts on my potato if i felt like it :heh:

:thx:

#11 lorenz1375

lorenz1375

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3554 posts
  • Server:Fate/Grand Order NA

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

I run one client only and it still laggy af

#12 WiseFabre

WiseFabre

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Server:Orleans

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

I run one client only and it still laggy af

Approach #1:

If you have more than one PC, is the amount of lag the same on each PC?   If not, then you have found a culprit PC.

Approach #2:

Don't use wireless for the PC connection.  Go back to wired ethernet for that particular machine.

Approach #3:

If you have to use wireless, then move your cellphone farther away.  We have a lot of wireless devices in my home, and I chose to connect the PC to the router with wired ethernet due to wireless interference.  All the other wireless devices transmitting along with the cellphone caused the wireless PC connection throughput rate to drop and the "lag" to also increase.   

I noticed that my laptop has a QoS setting that is particularly sensitive to cellphones with wifi connections.  If I carry my phone in a shirt pocket, the laptop drops way down and can lag.  If I keep the phone far away, both bandwidth and lag are much better.  The laptop's QoS implementation apparently is very polite and defers to the cellphones which seem to have aggressive QoL settings.

QoL Quality of Service data packet traffic control scheduler:

https://en.wikipedia...lity_of_service

#13 KyrieDielle

KyrieDielle

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2428 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Some people are running multi-client on their potato pc without problems but some can't even run one client without lagging. However, even potatoes have different kinds so how can we have a baseline for potato pc? What am I even talking about?

#14 WiseFabre

WiseFabre

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Server:Orleans

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

Some people are running multi-client on their potato pc without problems but some can't even run one client without lagging. However, even potatoes have different kinds so how can we have a baseline for potato pc?

Some websites can secretly load a bitcoin mining app into the browser.  The additional load creates lag on that PC.

One cause of lag depends on how much reading and writing the PC is forced to do with hard drive I/O traffic.  Anti-virus and anti-malware does extra checks for all that churning.  One culprit causing CPU-type lag on some PC is the bloated Firefox browser.   With a few apps installed, a number of open tabs, and after visiting a few javascript sites, the browser can sometimes start to churn a large number of reads and writes to the hard drive.  Bring up windows Task Manager and take a look at the Firefox I/O Read Bytes and I/O Write Bytes.   Certainly Firefox is not gong to be all that good with solid state drives as it churns their memory cells.

That I/O and CPU usage of Firefox is relevant to some people because they may have a PC without a graphics card.  In such a case, the CPU has to handle the graphics I/O as well, so all that Firefox memory and I/O churning creates a slight bit of CPU type lag.

#15 lorenz1375

lorenz1375

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3554 posts
  • Server:Fate/Grand Order NA

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:54 AM

Approach #1:
If you have more than one PC, is the amount of lag the same on each PC? If not, then you have found a culprit PC.

Approach #2:
Don't use wireless for the PC connection. Go back to wired ethernet for that particular machine.

Approach #3:
If you have to use wireless, then move your cellphone farther away. We have a lot of wireless devices in my home, and I chose to connect the PC to the router with wired ethernet due to wireless interference. All the other wireless devices transmitting along with the cellphone caused the wireless PC connection throughput rate to drop and the "lag" to also increase.

I noticed that my laptop has a QoS setting that is particularly sensitive to cellphones with wifi connections. If I carry my phone in a shirt pocket, the laptop drops way down and can lag. If I keep the phone far away, both bandwidth and lag are much better. The laptop's QoS implementation apparently is very polite and defers to the cellphones which seem to have aggressive QoL settings.

QoL Quality of Service data packet traffic control scheduler:
https://en.wikipedia...lity_of_service

Quite informatkve thanks but ye my netbook is a potato through and through

Also the physical distqnce of the server from my country (still laggy even when playing on a 100mbps internet on a gaming computer in a gaming center)

#16 JaguarBlood

JaguarBlood

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMidgard

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:39 PM

yeah 10 on mine with no lag, i dunno how to help but its never been an issue.. just upgrade to a recent model of pc/software and you should be fine. RO doesnt take up much per client, its an old game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users