Not interested in paying much more for power creep - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Not interested in paying much more for power creep

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
128 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:01 PM

Here's why,

There is nothing more that we need to have.

Spoiler

So the prospect of paying $3 for a 1% chance at an item that might improve 1 character's overall damage to kill 100m HP MvPs in 10 seconds instead 15 is just so irrelevant. (Using the TLAP Drake MvP as an example here)

Ya'll know if I told your parents you spent $300 to get a ring in a video game they'd disown you or send you to rehab.

I'm not saying that I've never spent money on WPE. I have a few long-standing accounts that I renew with 6 month VIP promotions every now and then. I'm not saying I'd never spend money on WPE or boxes either. I just think its really silly to pay so much for such insignificant ROI.

I have noticed a decrease in the number of people that are selling items from OCP boxes over the past few months. Some boxes are worse than others, of course. But regardless it seems that with the reduction in population (supposedly due to ROM) the whales have migrated. Perhaps they are not seeing good value out of the new benefits items offer (as absurdly powerful as they are). The value isn't there anymore.

Multiple factors of RNG kill my interest as well. Thank goodness accessories, mids, and lowers don't have refinement requirements. If you were to calculate the average cost (in dollars) of an item to find it and get it to the correct refine (+10 is the new hotness) its almost impossible to rationalize doing. Even the flex threads have not surpassed 1 page in length for people sharing their results in months.

Box rates and prices clearly need some serious attention. OCP had a good run but we need a new system to deliver strong items that players want to get at a reasonable price. Like any consumer we want something that is effective, accessible, versatile and that we can get a long-life out of. The current system is ineffective, random, narrow in application, and is replaced in 2 months. Remixes are inefficient as well. Even if you bring back every remix there are too many options and as a result people don't know what to go for. We need a better catalog for these items.

#2 Diskence

Diskence

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1311 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:47 PM

They might not have adjusted the actual rates of the items in OCP. But it's pretty much the same thing when they keep adding useless items in there. It always used to be in 1 OCP there would be 1 of those useless "shoes" (i.e Gardener's Shoe. Fisherman's Shoe, etc). Now they have 2 of them in one box.

Before I'd spend about 100 and I'd definitely always get at least one rare item. Since last OCP, I didn't get a single "rare" item in 200 $. The cash grab is pretty ridiculous at this point but I guess that's all they can do to keep revenue up. Keeping Enriched Hammer and Firesale in for like a whole month was pretty funny as well. 

#3 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:15 PM

It’s because iRO does thing half-way. At first we might let it go since we badly needed new items to improve our characters, but later on the problem is obvious.

You never ever release cash items without accompanying events. It will eventually become pointless to buy cash items where there’s nothing new to use them on.

If WP wants to release monthly OCP, they will need something that drives people to play on( be it monthly boss events or sth), rather than just rely on players dragging on because of the low card rates in old instances.

It’s what successful mobile gacha game do (and jRO probably). Not all new items are cash, that’s a lot of event for players to obtain new items, so there is incentive to buy.

#4 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3028 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:49 AM

Monthly Boss seems like a good idea :3 **cough**

#5 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:57 AM

$300 to rehab ... Jesus xD

Meanwhile, you're not wrong about some people moving to RoM. Dont worry. The game is just alright and it gets boring fast.

Spoiler

At this point, I'm not sure what else we can do or Camp can do. I mean, we've been merging servers many times to keep that "iRO is dying" away as long as people see a high number of log in characters. I wonder what server are we gonna merge now to pump the population up. I'm gonna speak for myself that I dont buy OCPs not because items are trash or not worthy of my money. When I spend money in iRO, I want to support the server, not because I wanted OCP items. I think my main account still has VIP rolf. I believe the reason why people dont buy OCPs anymore is because those people who used to buy lots of OCPs are no longer playing the game  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:

We had fun WoE until some amazing event happened. We all knew this would happen. Dont act surprised, few people were so against the idea and they meant no kidding when they said they'd leave  :sob:  :sob:  :sob:

Edited by nyyaan, 15 March 2019 - 01:17 AM.

#6 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:14 AM

Keeping Enriched Hammer  in for like a whole month 6 weeks straight was pretty funny as well. 

fixed. and i agree, that was super laughable considering its never been in for more than 4 weeks maximum at a time, like ever.

the sad thing is that OCP is likely one of the heaviest reasons people leave in the first place, along side the EU ban. OP gear = more one-shotting = gets boring quicker. its funny because in all their attempts to cash grab, the harder they try.. the less people do it, and at this point its utterly too late to switch it up because now people expect these systems (like upgrade events, etc) to make an appearance and most people are fine enough just playing it smart and waiting, rather than falling victim to the zeny sink.

and as for buying OCP itself, a lot of us just got smarter with the population drop and instead decided to farm up the Z we need to buy the [most of the time, one] item we actually want, due to rates being so terrible. with most of the whales gone, it pretty much leaves the newer players who cant yet make proper Z in-game to shell out the cash for boxes. but even they get tired of doing that.

...this is why i still can't really stand games where you have to 'pay for additional features'. its fair to say that most of us will still fall victim to this if its a game that we love/play/grew up with - RO being case-in-point - but it really destroys the concept of "genuine gaming love" while simultaneously demonstrating the bottomless pit that is human greed :\

i miss the ps1/earlyps2 era of gaming.. when all of that cash grab BS didnt yet exist.

#7 DarkOrinus

DarkOrinus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:01 AM

ocp's as the new god items

#8 gaurus

gaurus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationJuno

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:05 AM

New player hoping to get zeny from opening box most prolly got f by the box eventually would find rmt more enticing - you paid for what you get. Leave it to the pro market player to make zeny and just pay little bit more to get what they want, rather than gambling to just get what? Useless shoes. +1 for better catalog , way to get the more useful gear without burning a hole in the pocket.

Well just my two cents. That's what I did (opening box) to get some zeny when I first started. Now, I m not really a new player anymore though not really pro too cuz didn't have much cash to burn like others. Haha. XD

Edited by gaurus, 15 March 2019 - 03:08 AM.

#9 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:08 AM

Remember Groove packs at 150kp each, still containing stuff like FAW and HBP in it, and with bundles of 5 that gave a guaranteed safe to +10. Good times :v

#10 DarkOrinus

DarkOrinus

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:20 AM

might be time to saturate ocp's tbh, if warpportal doesn't want to let go of gambling, it is probably the only way to meet in between for server health

as said before, things will go down in price eventually since supply will just rise, even if people hoard for so long as ocp's are bound to be released and replaced or repeated once it's reached its peak

warpportal's choice is to suffer the slow death, have it end the moment everyone has had enough

Edited by DarkOrinus, 15 March 2019 - 03:26 AM.

#11 CKDD

CKDD

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:41 AM

Yeah, ocp rate is terrible lately, not sure I'm gonna spend money on it anymore

#12 Diskence

Diskence

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1311 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:44 AM

Remember Groove packs at 150kp each, still containing stuff like FAW and HBP in it, and with bundles of 5 that gave a guaranteed safe to +10. Good times :v

The good days.  :p_sad:

#13 DarkDan

DarkDan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1280 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:10 AM

i loved the groove packs with a guaranteed bloody branch. i bought a bunch of those. i still mostly buy the ocp's for bloody branches lol. 

#14 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

I don't disagree with most of the sentiments but at some point the players need to consider their actions, too. 

Stop buying the boxes, but the overwhelming majority like them, and even those who say they dislike them are still feeding in a ton of money on a regular basis. 

I mean, why would Gravity or WP opt to not sell the ridiculously popular series of items that are selling like hotcakes every time? 

#15 awesomegeek

awesomegeek

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1629 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:42 AM

i don't think OCP alone led to iRO's demise.
It was partly to blame for sure, but there were other reasons why. The game is old, same mechanics pretty much and were never new player friendly.

But yeah, the 6 weeks Enriched Hammer and Fire Sale was unprecendented and suggests iRO is in a financial position it has never been in before and is now desperate for cash and bleeding money.

The only thing WP could do at this point is to mitigate and hedge on other games.

#16 MikeWolf

MikeWolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:55 AM

It's crazy but this is the exact reason why I personally have been a bit inactive lately because of the lack of new content or new events coming in. These "Rinse and Repeat" events are cool but they get boring as you already know what to expect. 

I understand that the Staff are limited to what Gravity allows them too. It sucks to be placed in this type of position considering "Corporate Gravity" isn't even located within the same country. 

My 2 questions are,

Are iRO Players able to petition kRO/Gravity to allow for more content to be sent?

Can iRO players petition for staff to receive more freedom with content?

#17 Akupuff

Akupuff

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2790 posts
  • Twitter:@akupuff
  • LocationMexico

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:15 AM

You don't HAVE to buy the power creep. You can challenge yourself and not use any Kafra Shop equips and play like that. Not worrying about OCPs is liberating.

#18 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:53 AM

As Scuba points out, more and more the incremental damage boost it gives is becoming a really minute luxury for a premium cost (which also means that new expensive stuff will lower the cost of previously expensive-but-still-good stuff). 

Some of the new stuff is like trying to refine a weapon from +12 to +14 where yes the damage boost is noticeable but doesn't really fundamentally change what you can or can't do in game. 

I was stuck in a loop for a while where every new 'must have item' that OCP came up with I'd buy and then after a month realize the majority of the time I wouldn't even bother using them; in some cases not even once to test out what it would be like. Now I just buy/sell stuff for fun like a weird day-trader. 

#19 Akupuff

Akupuff

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2790 posts
  • Twitter:@akupuff
  • LocationMexico

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

I agree. Many stuff is just to min max builds or PVP/WOE oriented. Not all OCPs are created equal, though. Some are actually useful or help niche builds stand up to modern damage standards or even fix broken mechanics. But for the most part, the really on demand OCPs are just to increase the numbers to kill stuff that will either way drop in a couple of seconds. In-game stuff is already enough for most classes to get the game going, with a few exceptions maybe (RIP Magic Classes).

#20 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

I find most of the "alternate build" stuff is pretty cheap in comparison. I guess things like spirit king gear or the devil's hand are pricey, but stuff like enforcer boots or shadow ring are pretty cheap, even by "just started playing 2 moths ago" standards. 

Even things that are just damage boosters like Luminous Blue Stone are pretty cheap. 

We are just kind of locked into a red-queen hypothesis type of situation with power creep, but as you said, the best option out is to stop out of that race. 

The ideal solution is to get more content to actually play the game, but... well. Things are as they are. 

#21 Trii

Trii

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

I think it's important to vote with your money it's much more effective when the box doesn't sell well so they put on OCP Remix. 

#22 JoaquinAndres

JoaquinAndres

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • Server:Chaos - Renewal

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:25 PM

The good days.  :p_sad:

blame on those who asked for ocps then...

Edited by JoaquinAndres, 15 March 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#23 mildcontempt

mildcontempt

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3483 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:40 PM

I think it may be worth while to note how people reacted to the first OCP, and how early on many were quick to decry it as garbage without even seeing what the effects were. 

People were correctly upset at the PVM items in the box, but that got fixed very quickly. 

https://forums.warpp...ance/?p=2546906

Even now the cash-shop request thread is full of "pls bring this jRO item here" type requests. In many ways we, the player base, asked for this. 

Edited by mildcontempt, 15 March 2019 - 12:41 PM.

#24 CaptainSunbear

CaptainSunbear

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

when I first started I explored iRO to find ways to not have to pay, I found grandma boxter and was delighted, then I tried turning in those PVM items to her and she wouldn't take them and I was pretty sad.

If those items would still be allowed to turn in while having to include something extra I would be much happier with the boxter (since a lot of people will still be buying cash shop boxes to support the server)

#25 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

I totally understand the mindset of letting your money do the talking, but Gravity needs to understand what would make you willing to spend. A game like RO isn't about capturing new market share, its about making the most out of the buyers you still have. So opting out completely might remove you from their consideration. Plus in the face of ROM, seeing diminished revenue from RO1 might cause management to make a "cut our losses" decision, which none of us want.

I want them to understand that I am willing to pay for OCP and I am willing to pay for power creep. I think we all rode the hype train of seeing under-served builds come back into viability. And I'm not mad about getting higher damage numbers. But for the frequency that new items are released I am unwilling to spend so much so regularly. At the end of the day, we are talking about digital items that have no intrinsic value. The only value they provide is sentimental or entertainment. When talking about how the item provides entertainment value, you must determine if the incremental benefit of entertainment stacks up to the price you pay. Which is the problem. It doesn't. Also, if the item does not function how the description indicates, how can we be expected to buy-in?

Which is better? Relying in 20 people to spend $500+ on boxes, or having 500 people spending $20 on boxes? I believe it would be better to have many customers opting in. I don't think I've seen a video game company yet with appropriately priced MICRO transactions. For $60 I can buy a AAA title or pick up the newest popular game. One that doesn't gouge me on a monthly basis. Yet I, like many others continue to not pick up new games and spend money on this old one. 

I want to be able to buy the items I want.

I want to pay less for individual items, knowing they will be obsolete in a couple months.

I want the items to work correctly. 

I like blackCROSSCY's idea of having the monthly boss event to give us a MvP to beat up with the newest OCP gear. Maybe a potential reward option could be refinement attempts on the OCP. It seems really dumb to sell an item with a 1/100 pull rate and then for it to even be useful; refine it to +10. Usually the "refinement tax" of +10ing something is ~1b zeny, aka $10. I don't think OCP are bad. Honestly, OCP are the main form of "content" we get. If we are going to replace actual game content with OCPs, they need to be A LOT cheaper.

Edited by Scuba, 15 March 2019 - 02:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users