Proposal to improve ragnarok experience for newcomers - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Proposal to improve ragnarok experience for newcomers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ohLawliet

ohLawliet

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

Hello there

Just a thought.. i was away from iro for about 6 months, when i came back, the amount of players online dropped from 2k for 1.4k
That tells us that rag community is getting smaller by the time, and at some point, it will be impracticable for WP to keep support, updates and all for this great game we all enjoy. I do think some changes should be done, especially to those players who don't have that much time to spend online.

Some of my ideas are:

1) shortening quest's: by that i mean increasing drop rate of quest related items. For example: nidhogg nest quest, we have to do a significant amount of extra quest's until being able to do it. For such, report from the new world takes a huge amount of time and dedication from players to drop report parts, attempts of getting a full report, and luck to get all 4 different types in order to get the final report.

PS: this may be unreasonable for those who did this, but let's look at the big picture, we have a handfull of players who cannot be reached. We have new players who tried the game, even enjoying, dont have any enthusiasm to continue, and most of those newcommers are kid or teenagers who dont have a income to buy WPE and deppend on their parents money to do so, being unable to progress on the game

2) more exp event's and maybe periodically drop rate events, so people can schedule themselves to that date and try to really make some progress.

3) refine events are great and really helpfull, but how much does it cost? a lot of us already have means to make zeny and get the safe certificates and ores to do so, but how about the newcommers? if they want a refined item to their character at least be reasonable to solo leveling, they have no option other then buy WPE, sell it, to buy said equips. That for sure isn't a reality for most. So i guess we could use more ways to fabricate safe certificates, so either a medium/newbies can make themselves (either to use or make some zeny), which will also decrease its overprice (30m a safe to 7 body each).

Rag is a great game, but it seems to be going towards its end. Just implementing new items in OCP isn't enough.

I know this will move a great deal for the developers, but i think it can greatly improve the game experience and attract new players

I could think of more things, but i dont have the time now, i have about 2h to play, so i'll go now do some instances. Hopefully WP will consider this seriously. I really like the game, but its has become not even pay to win, but pay to advance. I play since early 2017 and, despite some timeouts, i only have a regular RC GX 175, spending something around 1500$ (R$ 6000,00 im brazilian). I was aiming for a DD crit GX, but that seems impossible without spending a lot of money for one game (most of us play others things too, new games every year, bills to pay, travel plans and even study dividing my income with ragnarok). I would also enjoy playing with other classes, but i cant even finish 1, imagine going for a magical type class now? only if i sell all my GX items to buy sorcerer's

#2 andxres

andxres

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 814 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:14 PM

Well crit GX is expensive build

#3 ohLawliet

ohLawliet

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:40 AM

Well crit GX is expensive build

sure is one the most expesive. But even my RC build, i may have (in today's economy) something around 20~25b on it. Now, how does a newbie, with no means, get a build like that without spending a substancial amount of money? even if u have the money, u need a motivation to be willing to spend it

Edited by ohLawliet, 16 March 2019 - 11:42 AM.

#4 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 16 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

the 20b of your gear set arent the minimum barrier of entrace, not in a long shot. Any build can be made extremely budget friendly, it will just (obviously) not perform on par with a highly invested one.

#5 ohLawliet

ohLawliet

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

the 20b of your gear set arent the minimum barrier of entrace, not in a long shot. Any build can be made extremely budget friendly, it will just (obviously) not perform on par with a highly invested one.

You are missing the point of the topic bro...

Still, u need to have a minimum to reach lv 175, im pretty sure u cant make it without at least 15b (hp/sp leech set, +9 malicious set, weapon, +9 physical set...)

Edited by ohLawliet, 01 April 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#6 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

that's absolutely not true.

#7 Scuba

Scuba

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3225 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

Because of the existence of veteran players who have established themselves over months and years, there is no real way to make the game beginner friendly. Feeling despairingly behind is unavoidable. This is why successful models for MMORPGs include either a boost to max level, or launch + merge new servers every year or so.

If iRO had 3 servers; New, Recent, and Old. They could alternate between merging New and Recent, then Recent and Old. To keep the pipleline of players funneling into the 'retirement' server where they can exist in their strongest state while still enjoying higher pop and other benefits of newer servers. People play RO exclusively for nostalgia. People might think they "cant find the same thing elsewhere" but really its just because RO was the first MMO they stuck with long enough to learn all the intricacies. So the best thing WP could do is give players the same experience their nostalgic brain remembers - over and over and over and over and over again.

Edited by Scuba, 01 April 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#8 ohLawliet

ohLawliet

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

Because of the existence of veteran players who have established themselves over months and years, there is no real way to make the game beginner friendly. Feeling despairingly behind is unavoidable. This is why successful models for MMORPGs include either a boost to max level, or launch + merge new servers every year or so.

If iRO had 3 servers; New, Recent, and Old. They could alternate between merging New and Recent, then Recent and Old. To keep the pipleline of players funneling into the 'retirement' server where they can exist in their strongest state while still enjoying higher pop and other benefits of newer servers. People play RO exclusively for nostalgia. People might think they "cant find the same thing elsewhere" but really its just because RO was the first MMO they stuck with long enough to learn all the intricacies. So the best thing WP could do is give players the same experience their nostalgic brain remembers - over and over and over and over and over again.

Well, i agree with your nostalgia argument. Also, it has been less than a mouth of my post, i just entered the server to check on its status, and we have 1200 players on. How many of those are merchants and chat on eden, plus second accounts with auto follow?
I'm just saying, at some point, this will be unsustainable for WP to maintain and, at least iRO, will end.
Of those veteran players, how much money do you think they spent monthly in-game? Probably close to 0. They reached a level where they dont need to. Im not saying they are accountable or anything, its not a matter of inferiority towards then, its just a FACT: iRO is losing players, less players = less income. WP must have a huge spent just to maitain the server online, adding new stuff, regulate itens, support, etc, etc. They won't be able to continue, its basic math, once the game it's not lucrative but a prejudice, in a company (business) point of view, what do you think it will happen?
A lot of people already migrate to novaRO, its just a matter of time, and not that long-term time spawn

#9 Akupuff

Akupuff

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2790 posts
  • Twitter:@akupuff
  • LocationMexico

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

While I think that RO has obvious and big flaws from design and management, these broken perceptions are detrimental to new players as well.

Leveling with 20-30b set ups and treating them as the standard skews the perception of new players. They are no where standard and making others believe you can't level correctly somehow with any less is stupid. You can play effectively with the budgiest of builds and still get excitement out of the game. You don't NEED to be 175 to play the content. Farming MVPs and Bio5 isn't the only things you can do in RO to have fun. In fact, I find leveling much more fun many times and it's where you learn many stuff. Players need to stop these ridiculous claims about "being viable" or thinking that because they don't have these OP gears, they won't enjoy the game as much. Things accelerated too fast and so players are just trying to catch up without thinking why they wanted to catch up. So fast of a leveling leaves players lazy and expecting the gear to do all the work.

Unless you want to WOE or PVP, getting these high end gears that cost billions is not needed. MVPing, Instancing, farming, all doable without even 1b of investment. Sure, it will be slower or as efficient, but it's doable. Though, none of these should be treated as standard or only content. They are only standard because most players went the billions route and so, it feels like so. 

The main thing thing in which RO fails from both ends (playerbase and management) is that no leveling progression or gearing exists. It jumps so fast to end game, no one bothers to explain how to get there. The gears ends up doing the heavy lifting leaving the player clueless on how to use their skill arsenal, how to distribute stats and how gears work. 

End game is that, end game. You're missing the journey entirely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users