A (somewhat rage filled) plight of a semi-new player from steam - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

A (somewhat rage filled) plight of a semi-new player from steam

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#26 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

banned, ok

#27 Keith

Keith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

As a new player he is probably unaware of how the higher end economy works.  In his defense, Eden wouldn't be nearly as bad if players were able to hold more zenny.  Granted I know there a deeper seated issues behind this and it's likeliness of ever being a reality is probably dismal.

Eden floor 1 wouldn't be congested if players were able to sell more rare OCP loots in vend.  It's only congested now because it serves as a basically a hallway that every VIP(and most Non-VIP) use in order to access various other NPCs and locations.  Before Eden, most of these chats were right there at the Prontera spawn location.  For good reasons too.  South Prontera spawn was a hot spot for hitting traffic of anyone that was going to Prontera to buy and sell.

Another tip for new players is to make sure you get very comfortable with using ragial  (www.ragial.com).  I am not sure if it extends to Loki or not but it works fine on Chaos.  It basically is an allowed script that lets a third party website collect information on vendors and buy stores of any item being listed in a players store.

The easiest way to search items usually is to enter one keyword of the item.  For example you want to find a Valkyrie Helm.  Ragial discriminates between upgrade levels of an item, cards, and enchants placed on that item.  So if you search the word "Valkyrie Helm" you will get a list of current shops that are open with that item.  It will subsidize that list based on what refine level each item is in and each shop.  If you are having a harder time (perhaps you do not know the correct spelling of an item), then you can simply search something like "helm" and scroll the list until you find what you want to refine your search.

Ragial is a standard for most basic consumable and commonly used items in the game, but that doesn't mean it's always 100% accurate. Also bare in mind that items that usually trade for over the threshold of zenny(which is 999,999,999z or 1 billion if you are selling via vendor) will be listed at stranger prices.  This is because vendors who are selling items will have their zenny capped at it's maximum which is 2.145b (ish) or within a range where the item won't sell from there store for that price.  This means you will need to open a 1:1 chat with this person via PM to offer on that item.

Rodex is also a powerful tool for communicating with sellers to negotiate offers.

#28 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

honestly you really should be celebrating a full eden. This is proof that there is life, players really look to trade. They may be afk now but they eventually have to do the trade themselves eventually.

Empty eden just means you can’t find what you want or sell your unwanted stuff easily. Why would you like that?

#29 1477190511155259560

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Server:Yes

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

Regarding economy, I don't see why I should be informed of that stuff early.

A new player's gold amount is VERY low.

The cheapest item I have ever seen from a player shop was 100,000.

I've only held that much once on my Dancer.

Also I'm working on leveling/trying out Monk since it also sounded fun.

And its on Chaos.

Much easier to navigate once I saw where NPCs were in Thor, honestly.

Still annoying, but now I can focus on just moving and not moving alongside finding NPCs.

So I might see some of you around.

Either while walking, sitting to recover SP, or after getting 1-2 shot because of how frail acolyte can be early on.

Now to just find out how to change my forum name because wow these numbers don't say anything about me.

#30 blackCROSSCY

blackCROSSCY

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1864 posts
  • LocationSG
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

things are high in zeny cost for sure, this servers been around for too long so zeny in circulation is huge.

On the bright side, it also means that if you hunt things that people want, you get a lot of zeny for them too. For beginners it is actually a great thing at the start, because you can make do with NPC healing items or gears for some time.

Example, strawberries can be sold for 13K while oridecons sell for a whooping 220K. This means your randomly looted rough oridecons can be sold for 45K each. While you’re not expected to get rich off some of these early hunting, they provide you with way more than sufficient funds for leveling with NPC consumables/equipment.

At higher levels, you can then go spend some time to farm high price cards to make gold for your gears. Simply look up ragial and search cards to get a sense of what cards are worth farming. Again example, at level 100+ you could be farming rock ridge cards which sell for few hundred mil each card. It takes some time to get them to drop but doesn’t require high end gears for you to get on it.

If anything, the only difference is probably your starting character. If third is really your first time playing, you might want to start off with characters that perform great without needing a lot of resource so you may build up easier. Both dancer and monk are not exactly friendly for newcomers with no funding to gear them. They are better off as second or third characters once you can fund them with better gears.

You might want to consider starting off with a rune knight, rebel, ranger or even a mechanic. These classes all have access to good AOE damage without heavy investment, which are good for early game while you try to farm for resources to build your main. That is, unless you are really looking for a challenge with your dancer or monk (then you probably shouldn’t complain).

#31 deforte

deforte

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1129 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:11 AM

my first char (physical rk) buff by my second char (db rk) and also my other chars lol. too bad i invest to low on him. now it is his time to shine :)

#32 yamasakai90

yamasakai90

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3028 posts
  • LocationUnder the Ground

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:50 AM

My first character was a RK, then a Gene then 3 GX... had to use the GX to farm instances so I can gear up my first two characters.

As much as efficiency in farming instances goes, the hurdle to play a character we like instead of the most efficient one is kind of an internal and financial struggle. I want to say its not fair but then most games are like that. 

#33 Netha

Netha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

like WoW? or ff14? of elder scrolls? I think the only games that are like this are other gacha games tbh.

If you consider how much time you have spend until you are ready to establish a stable income its already pretty harsh. Lots of the "you can get by without BiS equipment" arguments that are used on this forums are mostly from people that havent really had to establish a RO existance in years to over a decade. Theres still a difference if you already have "not BiS but pretty close to BiS" items or if you have to grind with eden gear, fact.

Those that will work through this are already dedicated as -_- which is rare these days as games have become way more convienient thanks to technological progression and $$$ reasons.

After all this time (that wouldve gotten you BiS equipment on 1-2 chars in other MMOs easily) preparing to be ready to not rely on 0,02% drops that will give you 1-10m, so a 1000th to a 100th of a good item (yay!!), you still have to do labour work by doing instances on 1-x chars (mostly GX slaves spamming 1 button like an ape over and over again) in the hundreds to thousands of hours to reach BiS items, which is the ultimate endgoal most of us are trying to achieve.

I was never even close to even having a single BiS item, and ive played iRO from 2011 to 2018. I was like "who cares how far ahead others are ahead of me, i get by with my stuff and thats fine", and Im sure this works for others too, and I like that. But its naive to believe that the majority of people thinks like that, a lot of people are discouraged by that. Its natural that you cant make up 15 years of playtime in a year, but in other MMOs people kinda start over with every new addon, at least to a certain extend, in RO this hasnt even happened with renewal, actually never. (at least on the old servers)

To make one thing clear, Im not per sé against a tough grind. I play this game since 2004, if i'd find the concept of these games bad I would not have played it that long. Its just, back in 2004, and even back in 2013, there was really stuff looking forward to to do this hard work, mainly WoE. This goal is not completely gone yet, but I think most of us agree it doesnt really merit enough reward these days to justify so much work put into a game. So I guess the only people that will go through all this are those that really like the PvM aspect of RO, which exist but I doubt they are legion.

Edited by Netha, 18 May 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#34 Keith

Keith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

Didn't mean to start this thread into anything about the economy.  The base line assumption that the older players already understand that is the Shops/Chats will always go to where the players travel most.  Doesn't matter what they do.  It's just to get more hits is all.

Welcome to Chaos.  You can change your profile name in your profile options.  Rolling for a monk right out the door is actually fairly difficult so I wish you luck.  This was my very first class starting iRO also and it was a much longer and slower process than all my friends who were leveling thieves, archers, or swordsmen.  Fortunately, these days, it's easy to be more versatile and you will have plenty of time to make however many characters you want.

#35 1477190511155259560

I am New.

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Server:Yes

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

Don't get me wrong, I actually like the tips.

That, and knowing things like strawberries sell is overall helpful.

I'm keeping my eye on market listings to see if any of my looted items are sought out whenever in Prontera now.

As for the difficulty, don't worry about it.

If it was easy, I wouldn't have as much fun.

The danger gives a better sense of adventure, something I miss from MMOs.

Besides, its fun to mercilessly bash wildlife with a mace in the name of <insert holy reasoning here>. 10/10 Acolyte.

#36 ninJedi

ninJedi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationPH: I don't wanna disconnect, Mr.Smart
  • Server:Thor

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

As for the difficulty, don't worry about it.
If it was easy, I wouldn't have as much fun.
The danger gives a better sense of adventure, something I miss from MMOs.
Besides, its fun to mercilessly bash wildlife with a mace in the name of <insert holy reasoning here>. 10/10 Acolyte.

This semi-newbie has a better mindset than a couple people I've seen on these forums.

Godspeed, MaceAco_147 :no1:

Edited by ninJedi, 18 May 2019 - 03:07 PM.

#37 shikyi

shikyi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

Back in the day there used to be tons of public chat. Not just talking, but alt+ sales spam. As the population shrunk, chat shifted almost exclusively to guild/party chat. Just join an active guild, and you'll probably have days you just turn your chat off to get away from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users