iRO:T 90% of iro players dont speak english? - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* - - - - 5 votes

iRO:T 90% of iro players dont speak english?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#26 Jeneeus

Jeneeus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • LocationEden Kitchen
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Anti-Chaos

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:45 AM

Frankly, I always speak in English, even to my fellow speakers who knows my dialect, unless I'm only talking to 1 person (1 on 1 convo) who also knows my dialect. :heh:

We speak Portuguese, not Brazilian.

the same way you don't speak Uinted States of American

Edit: That said, since it's an international server located in the US, I think everyone should speak english here, or get ignored.

Oops! I should have Googled first. :heh:

#27 xSwain

xSwain

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

If people want to speak in Portuguese or any other language because they don't know English, its their option.

But if server is 95% BRs, we have a serious problem here.

#28 HappilyAnnoyed

HappilyAnnoyed

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

I only speak English. I can't be bothered learning a new language. People from non-English speaking countries speak in their native tongue, and may not know English. If they don't want to or can't speak English, who cares? If you have time to chat with them, use Google translate. If not, say I only speak English then move on.

#29 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts
  • Server:Quit

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

I don't care where people are from. However, if you are going to a foreign server at least be aware they don't speak your language. If you want to communicate, find a way.

WOE may become a nightmare with the language barrier. Time will tell.

LMAO yeah. Get used to it I guess... I as a Brazilian can assure you that most Brazilians on this server (or at any other place/situation for that matter) don't speak english.

Edit: But when you're recruiting peeps you might want to just skip asking whether people speak english or not and just invite them directly; that works.

If they do not understand you and you can't communicate that's annoying AF.

Edited by ShoLin, 12 January 2020 - 10:57 AM.

#30 9804131128173020287

I made it Off Topic

• Banned
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

I'm having the same issue, except the BR players that I've been able to party with speak a little english.

#31 Oritzia

Oritzia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFlying over the moon
  • Server:Transcendence

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

Yikes...

This is an incredibly rude post lol

#32 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

im really having hard time to find parties ,buying, and selling ,coz majority of population dont speak english?

it seems 90% of population speaks brazlian =_=

'player1 has entered'

player1: APFKW DSWDDS

me: Hi there

me: sorry i dont understand, can u speak english?

player1:player: KJBFFA UHFZD

'player1 left the chat'

Well unfortunately, that is what it is. Putting people from different cultures doesnt necessarily yield harmony. It can easily backfire too. There isnt much you can do but to ignore the person. You could've kicked the person out. You could've tried to communicate with him, to your very best.

Player1 has entered

Player1: KDJSKDJSKJDSDJOSDJ ....
You: SKDSAJDSLADSADGSD

You: .i.?
Player1" LKSDAKJDLSADNASDNJ PUTA NO QUIRO 
Player1 left the chat

:heh:  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  :heh:  

Edited by nyyaan, 12 January 2020 - 03:26 PM.

#33 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

Stating it's a pain that they can't communicate with a large amount of the server is not rude. I find it rude when I tell them I don't speak their language, then they ignore me and continue to pester me. Obviously if they aren't speaking your language, they can't understand you.

#34 lorenz1375

lorenz1375

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3554 posts
  • Server:Fate/Grand Order NA

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

Aaaa ".i."

The international language for peace I give you

Glad that exists

#35 iKazukii

iKazukii

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationHere
  • Server:Valkyrie/Ymir

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:36 PM

Warpportal has to make money somehow. Once it merges with Chaos... well you understand what'll happen next.. ANOTHER RO SERVER TO MAKE MONEH This time EU! XD

#36 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:39 PM

A post has been removed to be found inappropriate.

Please take a kind note that this is a multicultural forums, such as calling out a certain ethnic/race group with names and/or insults is not appropriate.

#37 ryuusei3

ryuusei3

I am New.

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:43 PM

If 90% of the server is brazilian... Why do you speak in english on the server??? Since majority speaks portuguese learn to speak portuguese :heh: 

Why 90% of the player base should bend to the 10% of the player base???? 

Also to be fair it has more hispanic than brazilians xD

So you should learn spanish since 90% of americas is hispanic... canada, brazil and usa is just 3 countries out of 35

You speak the language that the majority speaks... not the minority!

Not trying to be rude, just stating facts

#38 2866141028000703037

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:31 AM

If 90% of the server is brazilian... Why do you speak in english on the server??? Since majority speaks portuguese learn to speak portuguese :heh:

Why 90% of the player base should bend to the 10% of the player base???? 

Also to be fair it has more hispanic than brazilians xD

So you should learn spanish since 90% of americas is hispanic... canada, brazil and usa is just 3 countries out of 35

You speak the language that the majority speaks... not the minority!

theres br server where u can speak portguese, this is iro server where english is main not portguese lol

#39 Jeneeus

Jeneeus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • LocationEden Kitchen
  • Server:Anti-Chaos

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:53 AM

90% of Thor server are Pinoys...Yet majority (but not all) speaks English despite being from Philippines  :heh:

Why 10% of the player base should bend to the 90% of the player base???? 

Also to be fair over a half of the 10% also consists of other non-Filipino Asian countries.

So you should learn English since these servers are OWNED by an English-speaking company and it IS in their rules.

You speak the language that the company speaks... not the majority!

P.S. There's no harm in speaking non-English, provided you are just sitting in town talking to your fellow countrymen or you are in a party that ALL members, not even 1 exempted, are Hispanic/Brazilians. If someone doesn't know English, just say "no english" or "can't speak english". As simple as that.

#40 Syul

Syul

I am New.

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:34 AM

im really having hard time to find parties ,buying, and selling ,coz majority of population dont speak english?

it seems 90% of population speaks brazlian =_=

my daily encounters be like:

"R> level 60+ "

"B> VIP leave offer"

'player1 has entered'

player1: APFKW DSWDDS

me: Hi there

me: sorry i dont understand, can u speak english?

player1:player: KJBFFA UHFZD

'player1 left the chat'

i was like what did just happened? D:

its kinda rude they assume that there are no other nationalities exists in server, they think International ragnarok is local brazillan server =_= 

EDIT: i just found out that they hated their official brazillan server coz of thier publisher bad attitude and mismanagement.

dont you think you guys are doing the same? maybe try to communicate with others in international language known as 'english' since we're on 'international' server for reason

I understand that you are frustrated that you do not understand us, this is our feeling everyday in games, we are excluded from everything because we do not speak English. Our servers are destroyed by WPP Brasil mismanagement. Ragnarok was very popular in Brazil in 2005, when the community knew it would have a new server and we were happy. I apologize if you had a bad impression about the Brazilians, we are here for nostalgia and not to spoil the game.  :p_sad:

EDIT: I don't know if you will understand the message, I used google translator hahaha

#41 Windave

Windave

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:43 AM

Come on, we are not 15 anymore, we are grown up that can understand that people talk different languages and that is OK. Your native language doesn't have to be the center of the universe, neither you.

#42 lurenewal

lurenewal

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 11 posts
  • Server:RT

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

I'm brazilian and this is my first time in a long time playing an international server of a game. My first thought was "Well, I should speak English mostly"...

But then I felt just like you, like there are only brazilians playing the game xD

I think most of the brazilians that don't feel much confortable with their English, started to speak Portuguese all that time because of that. But I do think most of the players can speak a basic English and understand each other, they just don't feel like they need to, because they have a large community that can undestand their mother language.

I'm sorry that you feel excluded, but don't give up. Most people are nice and they will try to make you understand them, if you want to.

#43 VModCinnamon

VModCinnamon

Tranquility

• VMod Retired
  • 16663 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:16 AM

All right folks, let's be nice to one another.

The next inappropriate and flamebait postings will result in a vacation so let's not, please! :(

Further posts have been removed.

#44 S207

S207

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationCancun MX
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:34 AM

as a Mexican, im good with an international environment lol.

Since both portuguese and spanish comes from latin lang, we can understand each other in 80%+ on average.

Also, I can understand english, and very very few french.

Wich really comes tome is: if our friends BR doesnt get english very well, how tf they can understand all the gears/cards/npc/all RO content?

#45 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

Image recognition and easy words used on both regional and international servers like "attack / atk = ataque / atq"

#46 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

To be fair, whatever language they speak shouldnt bother you. It's a game and segregation based on languages is okay. They dont hurt your benefits and gaming experiences. It's not like you are forced pay taxes to play this game then you cant use game services because they dont speak the world language. You can find other people who are willing to speak English to play with or quit as you have nothing to lose.

Though, some of comments show exactly why multiculturalism of America is failing. iRO is such a small community and we can already see clashes of cultures and languages because everyone is so self entitled  :rice:  :rice:  :rice:

Edited by nyyaan, 13 January 2020 - 12:02 PM.

#47 Schokoramell

Schokoramell

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:56 PM

i don't understand why this even bother you. Someone tried to talk to you in language A. You answered in language B. None of you knows each other language. No point in continuing conversation. He left the chat. You move on with your day. I don't think he did something rude.

I think having more people in the server is better. If the majority of the population are non-english speaking people, If that's the reality, then you'll have to accept it or you can leave. You can't expect all of them to start speaking in English just because you prefer that. There's no written rule that you have to speak in English in ROT/ROEXE. If you can't be bothered to try to understand them, just ignore them. Having non-English speaking players doesn't reduce the number of english speaking players in the server.

Non-english speakers use the same RO client. Their UI, item and skill names are all in English. They should understand when you use these phrases.

Buy/Sell>"item name/link" "price"

Recruit Party>"class/role/all" "lvl range"

Need party>"your class & level"

Agi bless/heal/resurrection or "skill name" please

even share please

We use those with other english speakers. The respond to all those phrases, if you ignore all the small chat, are either yes or no / do or don't. And if someone type something you don't understand and you don't know how to respond, just leave it that way. It's really not that big of a deal.

#48 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:51 PM

Try running a guild when 1/3 of your members don't speak the same language as you or will only listen to their original language. WoE is not fun at that point. When you're trying to communicate and a large portion of your guild is off doing some random thing.

#49 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

Then why would you invite them in the first place? Anyway, that's why you make an English speaking guild vs a whatever-language speaking guild.

#50 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:57 PM

That's my point, it's just going to be a literal race war. This happened once before.

My old school guild let in anyone if they could speak English. However, I constantly see R> X race. Even if they speak English they rather want to be with their own race.

Edited by ShoLin, 13 January 2020 - 11:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users