iRO:T 90% of iro players dont speak english? - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* - - - - 5 votes

iRO:T 90% of iro players dont speak english?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#51 Feliw

Feliw

I am New.

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Trascendence

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:32 AM

to be fair the language of Rune Midgard is korean so... we are all foreign speakers 

#52 Arkghyom

Arkghyom

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:51 AM

The problem lies with people assuming things and being dismissive afterwards when their expectations are shattered. 

#53 S207

S207

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationCancun MX
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:24 AM

And that's how BR clans, Spanish Clans, English Clans, pinoy clans, etc are made, by the time the server gets more populated, everyone will find their own space where feel comfortable. till Chaos opens and everyone runs back to home

#54 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts
  • Server:Quit

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

The problem lies with people assuming things and being dismissive afterwards when their expectations are shattered. 

I'm assuming nothing, everything I said that happened in the past is true.

What people are upset about is the majority of the people in the world of iRO is mainly English speaking/culture. Take in a huge influx of a different culture you're going to have culture clashes.

Then I get called racist when I kick them out when they stay in their own clique and ignore me.

It's a two way street. If you can speak the language and don't clash with the other's way of doing things, don't sit in your little cliques within a guild. If you don't like it too bad.

The only way to know where everyone is from, we need a census. And, I'm pretty sure iRO won't give us said census.

Edited by ShoLin, 14 January 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#55 Arkghyom

Arkghyom

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

I'm assuming nothing, everything I said that happened in the past is true.

What people are upset about is the majority of the people in the world of iRO is mainly English speaking/culture. Take in a huge influx of a different culture you're going to have culture clashes.

Then I get called racist when I kick them out when they stay in their own clique and ignore me.

It's a two way street. If you can speak the language and don't clash with the other's way of doing things, don't sit in your little cliques within a guild. If you don't like it too bad.

The only way to know where everyone is from, we need a census. And, I'm pretty sure iRO won't give us said census.

That sounds extremely toxic. Let me break it down for you!

You misunderstood the statement. The new community seems to be "dominating" the scene when in reality it's the opposite. As far as I remember, there was a ban and people are still bypassing it. Isn't that a breach of the Terms of Service? I don't think anyone will pay attention because if this community is exiled, the game will be completely empty. I haven't found anyone from the states yet — except for a few Canadians here and there. As for the census, I hope someone is taking notes because the difference is obvious and dismal. 

Edited by Arkghyom, 14 January 2020 - 02:25 PM.

#56 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:05 PM

Well this escalated quickly. I say, iRO should just host an event where different language-based guilds fight each others. The losers will have to abandon their language and adopt the winners language. This is the only way to find true peace and harmony. There is no other way around it. Let the best language breeds the strongest warriors and propagates throughout the server. This is WAR!

Edited by nyyaan, 14 January 2020 - 03:10 PM.

#57 MegaEdge

MegaEdge

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 845 posts
  • LocationSt-Jérôme, QC.
  • Server:Poring

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

Well this escalated quickly. I say, iRO should just host an event where different language-based guilds fight each others. The losers will have to abandon their language and adopt the winner's language. This is the only way to find true peace and harmony. There is no other way around it. Let the best language breeds the strongest warriors and propagates throughout the server. This is WAR!

That sounds more like what happened in real life back in middle ages. Haha!

We can speak any language that we like and keep in mind that iRO's main language is English and be respectful to one another.

I will only speak French with people around if I'm like 1:1, but if I speak in guild/party and I know some won't understand us I switch to English so everyone can understand what am saying. And that is called to have respect and manners with those around me.

#58 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

That sounds more like what happened in real life back in middle ages. Haha!

We can speak any language that we like and keep in mind that iRO's main language is English and be respectful to one another.

I will only speak French with people around if I'm like 1:1, but if I speak in guild/party and I know some won't understand us I switch to English so everyone can understand what am saying. And that is called to have respect and manners with those around me.

Nah it is still happening in many places in the world. For extreme examples, Xinjiang and Hong kong in China. Both unfortunately and fortunately (???), no one dares do anything to China haha

Being respectful is subjective. You can clearly see that the OP dude, who speaks English, thinks the none-English speaking dude is rude. Meanwhile, some people here think the OP dude is actually being rude for assuming the other dude has to speak English. Its all about cultures, differences in cultures.

#59 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts
  • Server:Quit

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

That sounds extremely toxic. Let me break it down for you!

You misunderstood the statement. The new community seems to be "dominating" the scene when in reality it's the opposite. As far as I remember, there was a ban and people are still bypassing it. Isn't that a breach of the Terms of Service? I don't think anyone will pay attention because if this community is exiled, the game will be completely empty. I haven't found anyone from the states yet — except for a few Canadians here and there. As for the census, I hope someone is taking notes because the difference is obvious and dismal. 

Seems people think the truth is toxic.

Even though I had BR players and they didn't go off on their own little clique.

#60 MegaEdge

MegaEdge

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 845 posts
  • LocationSt-Jérôme, QC.
  • Server:Poring

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

I guess it can be funny to say it that way, but outside of gaming my language turns to French by default and when I get online it switches back to English, haha!

Sometimes I mess things up by mixing words or part of a sentence, well, in Québec we like to call it ''Franglais'' which means ''Frenglish''.

#61 mikkotinamide

mikkotinamide

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1391 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:38 PM

Pretty sure 90% of the world don't speak english either

#62 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:17 AM

then why are we

#63 ninJedi

ninJedi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationPH: I don't wanna disconnect, Mr.Smart
  • Server:Thor

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:31 AM

Ditching a bunch of players just because they don't speak your language seems pretty bad strategy-wise... and lazy.

I mean, if they're pretty skillful then that's still talent that you end up missing out on, and might end up joining rival groups instead.

A simple solution would've been to assign them to sub-groups inside the guild, to be managed by another leader that speaks both that group's language and the guild's dominant language. That way the guild leader can just coordinate with the other language's leader who then relays stuff to his members too.
Kind of like BF2's commander & squad mechanics lol : P

#64 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:25 AM

that doesn't work very well on woe if you want something really organized. Been there

#65 RenKoCL

RenKoCL

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSantiago, Chile
  • Server:Trascendence

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

As a chilean (spanish), i help my friends with english and some of them help me with portuguese. "i" from iRo stands for international and i think people should try to speak in english because is the universal language (until chinese conquer the world), but that is not an impediment to try to learn new words from other language.
Yesterday i learned that "chama" is "invite" (or something like that), "vaga" is "spot" and "muito obrigado" is "thank you very much".

Edited by RenKoCL, 15 January 2020 - 08:25 AM.

#66 Paprikaa

Paprikaa

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

As a chilean (spanish), i help my friends with english and some of them help me with portuguese. "i" from iRo stands for international and i think people should try to speak in english because is the universal language (until chinese conquer the world), but that is not an impediment to try to learn new words from other language.
Yesterday i learned that "chama" is "invite" (or something like that), "vaga" is "spot" and "muito obrigado" is "thank you very much".

Chamar is the same as your llamar, both stemming from the same latin verb.
Now the other two are harder to explain xd (but you're right).

#67 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:46 AM

Instead of grouping guild members based on languages, you should group them based on virtues. For example, The justice unit would have members who rush into enemy's precast and die while taking down as many enemies as possible, better yet, just by showing their presence should make the enemies b.wing and flee in fear. Since they're are all justice warriors, they dont need to communicate to each others, making languages irrelevant. All they have to do is to bring justice in WoE and be the first front line breakers to get rid of the evil  :rice:

Edited by nyyaan, 15 January 2020 - 11:47 AM.

#68 Schokoramell

Schokoramell

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:16 PM

Well this escalated quickly. I say, iRO should just host an event where different language-based guilds fight each others. The losers will have to abandon their language and adopt the winners language. This is the only way to find true peace and harmony. There is no other way around it. Let the best language breeds the strongest warriors and propagates throughout the server. This is WAR!

This is the only reasonable solution. Let the race war begins!

Seriously though there's nothing we can do. It's not like we can ban people for typing in languages other than English. We can't force them to quit this game, play with us or join our guild and start typing in english if they won't or can't. If you can't communicate with them, so what? It's just one more person who you don't communicate with out of hundreds other players that you ignore everyday.

In WoE join guild who can command in language that you understand. Most of the time you don't communicate with other guild members anyway. Just answer to commands, follow the flow of war, and do stuff based on the situation. I almost never typed anything in WoE other than flaming opposite guilds.

If the topic title is true, It's nobody's fault and nothing's wrong with it. It just shows that not that many people who speak english are interested in playing this game. If all non-english speakers suddenly disappear from this game then it will just be another dead game.

Edited by Schokoramell, 15 January 2020 - 06:17 PM.

#69 ninJedi

ninJedi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationPH: I don't wanna disconnect, Mr.Smart
  • Server:Thor

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

Instead of grouping guild members based on languages, you should group them based on virtues. For example, The justice unit would have members who rush into enemy's precast and die while taking down as many enemies as possible, better yet, just by showing their presence should make the enemies b.wing and flee in fear. Since they're are all justice warriors, they dont need to communicate to each others, making languages irrelevant. All they have to do is to bring justice in WoE and be the first front line breakers to get rid of the evil :rice:

Guilds could also make a naruto runners subgroup and furries division filled with kage/obo and dorams :heh:

#70 DemigodCelph

DemigodCelph

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:56 PM

Make China great again, so everyone will be forced to speak Mandarin <3

China is the opposite of great. No thanks.

#71 DemigodCelph

DemigodCelph

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

Nah it is still happening in many places in the world. For extreme examples, Xinjiang and Hong kong in China. Both unfortunately and fortunately (???), no one dares do anything to China haha

Being respectful is subjective. You can clearly see that the OP dude, who speaks English, thinks the none-English speaking dude is rude. Meanwhile, some people here think the OP dude is actually being rude for assuming the other dude has to speak English. Its all about cultures, differences in cultures.

It's actually not about differences in culture. As the international Ragnarok server located in the US and ran by an American company, everyone should speak English both out of respect for the hosts and also because English is more or less the international language.

#72 leo1074

leo1074

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:44 PM

It's actually not about differences in culture. As the international Ragnarok server located in the US and ran by an American company, everyone should speak English both out of respect for the hosts and also because English is more or less the international language.

What.... U guys are crazy, thats just a game. i say anything i want, my language and culture is a disrespect to you? 

#73 Arkghyom

Arkghyom

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

What.... U guys are crazy, thats just a game. i say anything i want, my language and culture is a disrespect to you? 

It is if you barge in unannounced trying to look for sympathy. If it is International, you should at least abide by their rules! 

#74 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

China is the opposite of great. No thanks.

Doesnt matter if you dont like it. China number one!  :rice:  :rice:  :rice:

International doesnt mean everyone has to speak English. International literally means involving more than one country. English is just a global language due to UK colonization and influences through politics and military power (but this might change if we have WW3 and we might have a new global language). Being said, English is a language used to connect people around the globe but if individuals dont necessarily have to speak English if they dont want to. Then you just have to ignore that individuals. There is no right or wrong.

#75 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

don't complain when your ticket gets unnatended because the staff can't understand what the f you are talking about if you are not using enlgish in your chat log :v

Edited by Ashuckel, 16 January 2020 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users