In retrospect, what was the reason why Chaos/Renewal had to be taken down for 2 months? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

In retrospect, what was the reason why Chaos/Renewal had to be taken down for 2 months?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 LordYggdrasill

LordYggdrasill

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2830 posts
  • LocationWelgaia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:04 AM

It seems that renewal will be back on Feb 3, as planned. I am not going to talk about what the updates are here since, well, the other thread is already filled with comments from players with mixed reviews. Personally I am fine with it even if they cant bring big updates that players have wanted for months/years, after all its ultimately Gravity/kRO's say on what WP will receive. However, what I just fail to understand is, why these updates require Chaos/Renewal to go down for 2 months? I've discussed with many other players, including my own friends and strangers. No matter whether they are satisfied with the updates, the one agreement we can reach on is that, these updates should take no more than 2-3 weeks to complete, at most 1 month even if you consider the holiday schedules.

So Id like to ask WP, why you decided to take down the server for 2 months, if these are the only updates you are bringing to Chaos? Even going down for 1 month is enough to make quite a lot of ppls quit and move on from RO, and for us who wish to return to the game after its hiatus, this is a serious drawback since a good portion of our friends and guildmates may not be there anymore. Trying to convince them to come back, will take a considerable amount of time and effort, if its even possible. Losing them is a blow to our gaming experience on iRO, since its a MMORPG, a social game. For a hiatus as long as 2 months, its understandable that most players would expect a real big update. If you cant provide that, its okay to just shorten the downtime and allow players to return to play sooner, at least more guilds/communities will still hold together. Either way I just, cant comprehend the 2 months downtime for all these. Can someone from WP staff team answer this? I'd appreciate an honest answer.

Edited by LordYggdrasill, 29 January 2020 - 06:06 AM.

#2 ambojr

ambojr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:32 AM

the true reason why its been 2 months hiatus is they focus on the ragnarok transendence ..nothing more nothing less

#3 awesomegeek

awesomegeek

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1629 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:51 AM

WP wanted to make RE:Start 2.0 that is RO:T.
But this time they didn't want competition and/or distraction from Chaos & Thor servers.. so they shut them down.

Edited by awesomegeek, 29 January 2020 - 06:55 AM.

#4 Boyeteers

Boyeteers

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3525 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

one reason, taking a long holiday break in this stressful renewal game

#5 Asukirin

Asukirin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:06 AM

the question should be only be answer by the admin of warpportal, i want the reason since Ragnarok Online is the top donor in extra life warpportal should answer us.

#6 LeeKelly

LeeKelly

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationUmbala; Amatsu

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

I am wondering about this too. Why 2-months hiatus. Some ppls quit already because of the long break which only brought minor updates. I myself wanted to play again but most of my friends either moved to pservers, or moved on and finally quit. Which made me think twice if it is still enjoyable for me to play iRO. Hoping for an explanation about this matter from WP.

#7 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:31 AM

higher ups and poor decision making

#8 7460181126215735827

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:46 AM

unless they want to remove their players from the game this is a good decision.

#9 KingOfBabylon

KingOfBabylon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Server:Renewal/Transce

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:40 AM

small indie company + changes that have significant impact, who knows. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt

Edited by KingOfBabylon, 29 January 2020 - 08:41 AM.

#10 crystalerLM

crystalerLM

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

Also don't understand why the current updates will need as long as 2 months...

#11 ninJedi

ninJedi

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationPH: I don't wanna disconnect, Mr.Smart
  • Server:Thor

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

It's not just "some updates going into the server" which regular maint could accomplish but also "the server's build itself needs to be updated" which is why it needed to take a bit longer. Think of it as upgrading the entire puzzle board to be bigger instead of just adding some extra puzzle pieces like usual.
Why it needed almost 2 whole months though is just puzzling lol
But who knows

Edited by ninJedi, 29 January 2020 - 11:08 AM.

#12 aTID2

aTID2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationLocation
  • Server:Server

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

1.roT
2.EAC
3.they move data to new server
4.bug on old server is unbearable than new server
5.christmas

#13 9804131128173020287

I made it Off Topic

• Banned
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

It seems the length of time with everything Warp Portal does it out of balance. Maintenance that takes 4 hours, no true content to ROT for months, shut down Chaos for 2 months. What modern gaming company does this? Even in iRO's glory they didn't do stuff like this.

#14 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

Not enough resources. To have a successful launch of RoT, they needed to temporary close Chaos to focus on RoT. What they did was pretty smart. We will however see how RoT will turn out. From reading here and there, it's pretty nonsense to not have seducing cash items. If no cash items, they aint making money. I guess it's gonna be Chaos folks who will spend money on Cash items to support RoT :D

#15 Allori

Allori

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 470 posts
  • LocationPlains of Arunafeltz
  • Server:Poring

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

They could at least have moved their physical servers in these 2 months. Hey, if RO:T was in closed/open beta until January, I don't get why all of this drama about the updates...

#16 bgmds

bgmds

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

GM refuses to work during Christmas, so they took down the server and have a 2 months break. And bringing up old "Restart" server as Transcendence for quick money.

#17 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

How is RoT a quick money? Does RoT Cash shop have anything good worth buying?  :heh:

Edited by nyyaan, 29 January 2020 - 04:52 PM.

#18 EdwardEG

EdwardEG

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationWarga +62

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

10 days VIP, bubble gums and reset skill rod i guess?

#19 kappakeepokupo

kappakeepokupo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationPH

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

My main guess is to make way for ROT... which is kinda sucky. If this is true, it shows that they have a bias between servers, which shouldn't happen. But for all we know, it could be lack of manpower, resources, etc. But why even launch a new server if you're lacking in resources? Especially now that ROT and Chaos is going to be fundamentally different in terms of updates, they're going to be spread more thinly.

#20 Allori

Allori

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:27 PM

How is RoT a quick money? Does RoT Cash shop have anything good worth buying?  :heh:

Actually you would be surprised to know the revenue related to refinement and consumables... It's basically what makes some private servers really profitable...

#21 ShoLin

ShoLin

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2107 posts
  • Server:Quit

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:34 PM

Did you see how many costumes there are?

#22 nyyaan

nyyaan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1251 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:51 PM

Did you see how many costumes there are?

Nope I dont play RoT. Do people buy costumes? From my understanding from Chaos, only rare costumes were in demand because ... well they're rare. Lets see if RoT will only have costumes in Cash shop. If not enough people are spending, they will just start adding more drooling items in the shop regardless.

#23 AngelCloud

AngelCloud

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Asia

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, I am interested to know why does Gravity shut down the server for 2 months just for this "huge" update where it can be done within a few maintenances.

#24 Allori

Allori

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, I am interested to know why does Gravity shut down the server for 2 months just for this "huge" update where it can be done within a few maintenances.

It was not Gravity, tho...

#25 Boyeteers

Boyeteers

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3525 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:19 PM

3500 players playin. if 90% of them are VIP, every 10 days you'll get roughly $7,500-8,000. This does not include enriched refine and costumes cash shop items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users