Am I fixated on the past? - Game Discussions (archived) - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Am I fixated on the past?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Tigra

Tigra

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1656 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Basically, I hate renewal and what it's done to the problems that were already present in RO. I've been playing for 7 (?) years, and every year I wish that the game would be the way it was years ago. I just realized that it's sort of like how old people are today; grandparents are always living in the past or being conservative, thinking the world is damned today, wishing it was the way it used to be, etc. But realistically, this is never going to happen.

I have several 99/70 trans characters. I haven't gone 3rd class on any of them. I don't want to devote my life to leveling one as I'm currently in college, and it seems that you can only really level them if there's a turn-in event (or, I guess, if you have resources like God items and stuff). I tried to level my friend's maestro during the titans event, and even with all the EXP scaled into job, he got like 10% at job 20.
But... if I don't go 3rd class, eventually I'm going to get left behind from all the new updates, and if I ever do decide to participate in WoE again, I'm going to get completely owned by the level 150s.

Should I find a different game? Am I an old RO-loser? >:

Posted Image

#2 Wosungree

Wosungree

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Romanticizing the past?

Take this as an instant level-up: LET GO!!

Finding another game won't do a thing for you; in fact, you will come to the same point you are at now.

You are not an RO-loser, but you--along with millions of other people--cannot stop clinging onto something that has come to pass. LET GO FFS!

#3 Quazera

Quazera

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

pre-renewal is sounding better and better to me by the day:(~ and i actully didn't mind renewal in the beginning~! its like the recent stuff going on just makes the atmosphere in the game really...depressing and...i dunno~ not something for normal players who have a life outside of grinding on RO or spending real money on RO. Seems like everything in the game that's worth anything stems from KP. third class, good gears, events (lol leaf cat hat:P), just not the same game~

#4 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

You think you're bad for not going 3rd Class? I haven't even trans'd any of my characters yet. Non-trans characters for the lose! :rolleyes:

#5 Macromega40

Macromega40

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationMexico City

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

To us humans, the changes are the things that the we resist, whether for better or for worse, we simply can not accept.

We tend to think that what we know is and always will be the best.

So it's no wonder that with such a big change like this bring the discontent of many people.

#6 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

I also miss the old days. I don't like Renewal, but most of all, I don't like the way Gravity is going. Cash shop, lucky boxes, etc.

#7 ShadowOfLoki

ShadowOfLoki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Ymir (missing Loki)

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

To us humans, the changes are the things that the we resist, whether for better or for worse, we simply can not accept.

So it's no wonder that with such a big change like this bring the discontent of many people.

+1 for wisdom. :rolleyes:

#8 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

The old guard is all gone or dead at this point.

#9 kymmy

kymmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Basically, I hate renewal and what it's done to the problems that were already present in RO. I've been playing for 7 (?) years, and every year I wish that the game would be the way it was years ago. I just realized that it's sort of like how old people are today; grandparents are always living in the past or being conservative, thinking the world is damned today, wishing it was the way it used to be, etc. But realistically, this is never going to happen.

I have several 99/70 trans characters. I haven't gone 3rd class on any of them. I don't want to devote my life to leveling one as I'm currently in college, and it seems that you can only really level them if there's a turn-in event (or, I guess, if you have resources like God items and stuff). I tried to level my friend's maestro during the titans event, and even with all the EXP scaled into job, he got like 10% at job 20.
But... if I don't go 3rd class, eventually I'm going to get left behind from all the new updates, and if I ever do decide to participate in WoE again, I'm going to get completely owned by the level 150s.

Should I find a different game? Am I an old RO-loser? >:

Posted Image

u could ask for a perm pre-renewal woe?
and yeh lvling fast = kafra points
even at 130 some 150 will come along n stomp u :rolleyes:

u have to look back to before reborn to find the player skill having a affect on game for me, logging into an old account from 2006 and seeing it was a mage at clocks brought back some memories of when there was more to the game than just handing over your creditcard

i believe there is still some skill in the game but i havent seen it in lvling so far, and i dont count exploiting as a skill :D

#10 Miii

Miii

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1219 posts
  • LocationIn this dazzling world
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

I miss pre-renewal so much, those were the best moments indeed. I was pretty excited to play a third class and try the skills until now...
WoE is not the same, it's like the first one to cast mandragora howling wins which is retard.
Honestly it's quite boring.

#11 ItsMoonie

ItsMoonie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

It's all good and well to reminisce about the past, but you shouldn't dwell on it too heavily.
You'll end up alienating yourself from any new players.
As well as giving them an a very negative view and possibly turning people away.
I mean lets face it, what do you do when your grandparents start going on and on about the past.
You throw them in an old folks home :rolleyes:

#12 kymmy

kymmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

we play ragnarok from an old folks home :rolleyes:
all we rly want from heim is for him to mush us up some chips and peel us a banana or 2

#13 Noai

Noai

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

I've been playing on and off for 10 years now (or whenever eRO alpha started) and each time I come back I find I enjoy it even more then my past times, including renewal. I guess I just enjoy RO's overall atmosphere and not take things to seriously. Not to say I don't have issues with RO, far from it but the things I like outweigh them and I just don't let them bother me to much.

#14 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

Tigra,

It will get better. Plus many of your old friends are still around including Silly, he is on leveling and causing laughs all over the place.

Just embrace the new changes and you will learn to love them. :rolleyes:

#15 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

I have nothing but bad memories about pre-renewal.

#16 porty

porty

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationDunedin, New Zealand.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

Renewal was the golden chance to make the game more acceptable to the west, change it a little here and there and offer it to the iRO world.....
What did they do? They rushed it through, giving us the most boring game on earth, and then trying to improve it by making everything that might be slightly beneficial available only through the kafra shop.

It has come to the point where the game is now so ruined even the mainstay hardcore gamers are giving it a break or quitting.... personally I'm not renewing my subscriptions either when they expire (another 3 premium accounts gone).

Gravity needs to offer us a decent, enjoyable game we can have fun playing WITHOUT spending any money THEN perhaps look at the Kafra side of things..
Should that day ever come then i might consider throwing some money back gravities way, but the game as it stands currently is not worth my time or effort and certainly not my money.

#17 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

renewal is not boring. I'm having much more fun than I was pre-renewal.

#18 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:32 AM

This makes me laugh. It's as if you're saying to people that it's their fault they aren't having fun with the game anymore.

Levelling isn't fun any more. Yes, it's faster on many levels, but it's not fun.

There's a huge disparity with the effectiveness of many classes

Level differences make up for quite a lot now that 99 essentially means nothing, and 130 isn't even all that "high".

Edited by Scott, 12 January 2011 - 06:35 AM.

#19 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

This makes me laugh. It's as if you're saying to people that it's their fault they aren't having fun with the game anymore.

Levelling isn't fun any more. Yes, it's faster on many levels, but it's not fun.

Level differences make up for quite a lot now that 99 essentially means nothing, and 130 isn't even all that "high".

I'm very happy with renwewal. What were you saying again?

I find levelling more fun.

level differences are good. It gives me a long term goal to make a 3rd class. 2nd trans class just wasn't enough to satisfy me.

it is the player's fault if they don't enjoy renewal. It all comes down to if they're willing to accept the changes or not. I accepted them, and I am having a much easier and more enjoyable time than I was pre-renewal.

#20 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

By the way... I haven't played in a while, but was anything done about STR vs DEX for melees ? (I mean, having 99 dex being better than having 99 str for some reason...) My stalker is still useless as it is, thanks to Renewal. I think the same goes for my ME highpriest, but I don't know. I'm still not coming back until something is fixed, which will probably be never.

#21 Brindizer

Brindizer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationDuluth
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

stuff

What are your character levels, again? Just wondering.

#22 Macromega40

Macromega40

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationMexico City

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

Not the intention, but i don't write english so well, and those were the words that i find to say what i think about Tigra's situation.

From my point of view, i like renewal, i like leveling, i'm not a WoE active or even PvP guy, but i like the game.

#23 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

What are your character levels, again? Just wondering.

110 GX, 15 high thief (rogue), 86 Alchemist, 73 sage, 81 blacksmith (vend slave)

obviouly the GX is my main. I'm starting to feel the grind coming on, but it's still much better than pre-renewal, where I was actually stuck when it came to leveling at around lv 70 on my assassin. I remember the feeling I got when I logged into the goat map after Renewal, killed a Holden and actually saw myself go up by 0.3 exp. That was incredible.

#24 Nick221cen

Nick221cen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

I agree i miss the pre-renewal days especially when i was in the Pecos guild we had a blast doing random things. Now i look at renewal and it just makes me sad alot of the gear that i had spent time in getting and trying to upgrade plus all the time i wasted to get cards are all in vain. Also i since i love playing my monk/champ i always loved my instant cast but now instant cast is no longer there so ive been playing but sparse. sorry about that but i wanted to rant XD

#25 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

110 GX, 15 high thief (rogue), 86 Alchemist, 73 sage, 81 blacksmith (vend slave)

obviouly the GX is my main. I'm starting to feel the grind coming on, but it's still much better than pre-renewal, where I was actually stuck when it came to leveling at around lv 70 on my assassin. I remember the feeling I got when I logged into the goat map after Renewal, killed a Holden and actually saw myself go up by 0.3 exp. That was incredible.

I think potentially that the goalposts were just moved along though. So the same 'EXP brick wall' happens, just a bit later on. Its the same concept as Level 70 with a different sprite.

Though I'm not sure that it should be too easy (e.g. making Level 1~70 considered obselete has had its drawbacks, particularly for those new to the game as some threads show). It should always be a challenge and not 'blink and you'll miss it'. But from feedback it seems the EXP curve is still quite sharp.

Plus would of been nice if more monsters/maps were added for 3rd class. New World seemed to of been intended for 3rd class before 3rd class was around. But then nothing was really added in Renewal. Just older monsters shoved up a notch. Also it'd be nice if Quest EXP hadn't been lowered.

Edited by soudou, 12 January 2011 - 08:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users