Spell effects overbearing - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Spell effects overbearing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Xillor

Xillor

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 05:40 PM

So I've been playing Archbishop and noticed that Exorcism kind of makes it impossible to see anything while it's active. I know I can turn the spell effects off with /effect but then I can't see where the exorcism is, which makes it hard for me and my friends to know where to bring the enemies. /mineffect doesn't change anything. So when we're fighting an MVP or something we can't really see what's going on or what to click on. Any suggestions?

#2 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts
  • LocationJohto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos, Alola
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 10 February 2021 - 06:42 PM

play for long enough and eventually you get to see what's going on even in a screen fully covered by skill particles

things like hovering your mouse over the enemies to know the position/wich one it is, noticing cast bars, distinct sound effects and so on

Edited by Ashuckel, 10 February 2021 - 06:43 PM.

#3 Xillor

Xillor

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:49 PM

That's not really acceptable :/ How can my friends or I be expected to learn what's happening in the game if we can't see anything? Exorcism not only covers everything in the zone but every enemy hit by it has massive bright crosses flying off of them. Why does /mineffect not do anything to help with this ability? Isn't that what the command is for? Is there any hope that the developers can add some kind of "minimal effect" version of this spell? One where I can definitely see where the exorcism area is, but it doesn't go overboard with glowing partical effects and such. Campitor, help  :wacko:

At this point I'm likely to just turn effects off and accept that I won't have any clue what's going on or where my exorcism is.

#4 TattooedChef

TattooedChef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • LocationSeventh level of Hell

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:40 AM

That's not really acceptable :/ How can my friends or I be expected to learn what's happening in the game if we can't see anything? Exorcism not only covers everything in the zone but every enemy hit by it has massive bright crosses flying off of them. Why does /mineffect not do anything to help with this ability? Isn't that what the command is for? Is there any hope that the developers can add some kind of "minimal effect" version of this spell? One where I can definitely see where the exorcism area is, but it doesn't go overboard with glowing partical effects and such. Campitor, help  :wacko:

At this point I'm likely to just turn effects off and accept that I won't have any clue what's going on or where my exorcism is.

Nope and nope. Exorcism is fine, you just need to acclimate  

#5 Orthogon

Orthogon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:59 AM

There used to be a legal 3rd party tool (SimpleROHook) that had some functionality to display information about targets and skill AoEs by highlighting the ground tiles. As far as I know, it's no longer useable, but this suggests that what OP asks for is not out of the question.

#6 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:32 AM

don't expect anything from the dev's side, the best you can do is get used to it, and you do after some time(afterall there's ppl that played WoE with all effects on just fine)

Edited by Ashuckel, 11 February 2021 - 07:33 AM.

#7 YongkySH

YongkySH

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4115 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:59 AM

maybe do a grf edit to the skills (legal / illegal) so it show the affected areas for AoE skills even with effects off

#8 bearl

bearl

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2147 posts
  • Server:Warpportal Forum

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:04 AM

effect edits is illegal,

but Ro.T Aaron wasn't banned, that was when he show us he's in-game screenshots of he's modified grf to complain other people using NDL grf

#9 Zander

Zander

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2392 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:22 AM

Would be nice to have something to minimal it but the way things are we just need to get use to it. There r times when i do ogh i have to wait a lil bit so i can see if theres a blue coags on the floor lol

#10 Ashuckel

Ashuckel

'-' intensifies

• Members
  • 18996 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

effect edits is illegal,

not all

putting a timer over pneuma isn't, for example, as well as adding transparency to skills

#11 DDQuidam

DDQuidam

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok DS
  • Server:Nintendo DSi XL

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:27 PM

effect edits is illegal,

but Ro.T Aaron wasn't banned, that was when he show us he's in-game screenshots of he's modified grf to complain other people using NDL grf

Only if you get caught, which is impossible unless you share it with other ppl. This would be the best way to solve it given that you can't expect anything from the developers.

#12 Xillor

Xillor

I made it Off Topic

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

That doesn't help much though since I wouldn't know where to begin with that, and if it's against the rules then I don't want anything to do with that  :blink: I don't see why it would be such a big deal for the developers to implement a less shiny version of Exorcism for /mineffect since the only two options are:

effects on --> can't see anything except bright shining lights
effects off --> can't see the exorcism area at all

mineffect --> does nothing

Edited by Xillor, 11 February 2021 - 05:21 PM.

#13 ChakriGuard

ChakriGuard

Azzylike

• Members
  • 10853 posts
  • Server:Renew Chaos

Posted 12 February 2021 - 06:59 AM

Just play with effects on and yes if you've played long enough, you will get used to it and see things very clearly. I know you can do it because I myself have been woeing without any edits and full effects. At first it was very chaotic and messy but sine I hated to edit anything on client, I jusy continued paying attention on tons and tons of skill effects. Many months later, all random wild effects on my screen didn't bother me or hide enemies from me.

Other than that, if it really bothers you. I guess you can do all sort of illegal edits. Not that people will see if you don't share. And even so, you can record your files on a clean client if you really have to make a video for example. I personally record my game live through GeForce because I hate to waste time to re record my illegally-edited files on a clean client, then upload on YouTube lol

Edited by ChakriGuard, 12 February 2021 - 07:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users