vpn recommendation - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

vpn recommendation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 FT15

FT15

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKanto Region from Planet Korhal - Koprulu Sector
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 08 August 2022 - 01:44 AM

Any players here from SEA who uses vpn to help lower their ping? Any recommendations?

#2 NTSB

NTSB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 08:56 AM

How much is your ping? Some case VPN helps but some case it does not. There is a minimum latency from your country to RO server, if your latency is around that value, VPN will not help to reduce more than that.

I suggest to search your local VPN service provider which has VPN server in your country because sometime what cause high latency and unstable connection is your local internet service provider and internet gateway

#3 therevengeofnico

therevengeofnico

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:09 AM

I think its not just certain countries and ip addresses that cause latency but also the ISP itself. My playgroup is mostly from people in  the Philippines and it works fine for 3 ISPs there but 1 ISP just doesnt work. But my recommendation for VPN if you wanna go free would pingzapper but you have to make a new account every week for the free 7 day trial. Otherwise if you wanna pay I wouldn't pay for pingzapper, I'd go with something robust like NordVPN or ExpressVPN. I've used Nord the most but then again it was when I was playing in SEA servers while living in New Zealand. I'd recommend trying a free vpn first and see how the latency improves before deciding to pay for VPN service. Otherwise, it may be your ISP. Try connecting to someone else's wifi maybe a family member or a friend at their home that have a different ISP as yours and see how that goes. This way you can round down where the issue is really coming from. 

The last thing you wanna look into is specs as well. Not only for your pc (although I doubt this is the problem unless you're running an old rig) or the modem or router itself. Older internet hardware have the tendency to cause latency especially when your speeds are incompatible with the modem or router you're using. It may be fine when you're running connections locally but will be a challenge once you go beyond that barrier as the more hops you go, the more latency you experience because of the transfer of data moves through more ip's than usual.

#4 Apiong

Apiong

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 04:43 PM

I think its not just certain countries and ip addresses that cause latency but also the ISP itself. My playgroup is mostly from people in  the Philippines and it works fine for 3 ISPs there but 1 ISP just doesnt work. But my recommendation for VPN if you wanna go free would pingzapper but you have to make a new account every week for the free 7 day trial. Otherwise if you wanna pay I wouldn't pay for pingzapper, I'd go with something robust like NordVPN or ExpressVPN. I've used Nord the most but then again it was when I was playing in SEA servers while living in New Zealand. I'd recommend trying a free vpn first and see how the latency improves before deciding to pay for VPN service. Otherwise, it may be your ISP. Try connecting to someone else's wifi maybe a family member or a friend at their home that have a different ISP as yours and see how that goes. This way you can round down where the issue is really coming from. 

The last thing you wanna look into is specs as well. Not only for your pc (although I doubt this is the problem unless you're running an old rig) or the modem or router itself. Older internet hardware have the tendency to cause latency especially when your speeds are incompatible with the modem or router you're using. It may be fine when you're running connections locally but will be a challenge once you go beyond that barrier as the more hops you go, the more latency you experience because of the transfer of data moves through more ip's than usual.

What's the 3 good ISPs and 1 bad? 

#5 therevengeofnico

therevengeofnico

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 August 2022 - 04:52 PM

What's the 3 good ISPs and 1 bad? 

The 3 good ones are PLDT, Globe and Sky. They work fine with my friends. The bad one is Converge. Although some of my friends that use Converge can connect but its just extreme latency. Some none at all. But you do get the rare case where it works fine without vpn so yeah.

#6 coolvampire

coolvampire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 07:35 PM

im using exitlag and works wonderfuly (ping down to 25ms constantly, from originally 190-200ms ping). give it a try, its 3 days free trial without hassle (my location is in indonesia)

Edited by coolvampire, 08 August 2022 - 07:36 PM.

#7 NTSB

NTSB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 08:25 PM

im using exitlag and works wonderfuly (ping down to 25ms constantly, from originally 190-200ms ping). give it a try, its 3 days free trial without hassle (my location is in indonesia)

Bro, that is not possible, I think 25 ms ping is from your home to exitlag vpn server not RO server. Please try to ping to by using windows cmd "ping warpportal.com" before and after

#8 coolvampire

coolvampire

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:13 PM

yeah maybe, its very responsive tho

2022-08-09-13-10-45.png

2022-08-09-13-20-48.png

Edited by coolvampire, 08 August 2022 - 09:22 PM.

#9 FT15

FT15

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:39 AM

Im actually from the Philippines as well (PLDT Fiber)  :D  :D

thanks guys ill check these out.

#10 FT15

FT15

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:56 AM

How much is your ping? Some case VPN helps but some case it does not. There is a minimum latency from your country to RO server, if your latency is around that value, VPN will not help to reduce more than that.

I suggest to search your local VPN service provider which has VPN server in your country because sometime what cause high latency and unstable connection is your local internet service provider and internet gateway

How do we ping the iRO game servers? 

trying this right now. im noticing improvement with the responsiveness and im not jumping around which is good. will test it further on different times.

#11 NTSB

NTSB

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:36 AM

Follow step 1-3 as below picture. It is ping to IRO web server (you cannot ping to game server bcs they deny icmp (ping) traffic to avoid being flooded(DOS) but game server is in the same sub-network so result will be the same)

pppiiinnnggg.jpg

Another Way

Latencyyy.jpg

Edited by NTSB, 10 August 2022 - 08:10 AM.

#12 therevengeofnico

therevengeofnico

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 254 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 August 2022 - 10:13 AM

trying this right now. im noticing improvement with the responsiveness and im not jumping around which is good. will test it further on different times.

So long as hindi converge you'll be fine hahaha! Exitlag I think worked with them before pero for me if you're looking at quality connection NordVPN talaga. There are some youtube channels that are sponsored by NordVPN where you can get promo codes for discounts, thats how I got a discount on mine haha!

#13 GrimFlayer

GrimFlayer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 01:37 AM

Im actually from the Philippines as well (PLDT Fiber)  :D  :D

thanks guys ill check these out.

PLDT Fiber user here, so far I don't have any problems in terms of connection and I don't use any VPN when I started playing here at iRO. What really troubles me is the client stability, some random closing or gravity error pop ups, but playing for almost a year seems like a normal thing for me now lol.

Tho, I resides at NCR so there's a possibility that we have some differences in connection like in cities or provinces. You can try some suggested VPN in the comment section to boost your connection.

#14 Varignon

Varignon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Transcendence Quit

Posted 11 August 2022 - 01:20 PM

So there are so many players from SEA Region, iRO must focus on making a proxy server for all other regions so that the ping for all players will be the same or lower, because the 150 ping is so much lag. 

#15 vividort

vividort

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1235 posts
  • Server:Hiatus x Hiatus

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:50 PM

lookup a dns with good route, add TcpAckFrequency to your connection in registry and it should make some improvement, honestly i think vpn is only good to bypass region restrictions but thats just my opinion.

Edited by vividort, 11 August 2022 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users