Feedback: Emporia Wars - Dragon Saga Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Calanor

Calanor

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 2474 posts
  • LocationBetween 2 Rainbows
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

Reading through the threads about Emporia Wars it sounded like you all had a good time, but I was also reading about some possible concerns or issues you had.

So I want to focus on Emporia and hear your feedback, both the Negative and the Possitive.

What did you like about Emporia Wars?
What did you not like about Emporia Wars?
Tell me your Emporia Wars story.

#2 Celestia

Celestia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

WE WON AND NO CASTLE STILL

#3 GrapefruitGod

GrapefruitGod

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • LocationSurrounded by kneesocks
  • Server:decard

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

I don't like not having the castle.

I also don't like being invited to Emporia Wars every time I log in

#4 Li0nheart

Li0nheart

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

The message is quite annoying, it haunts me everywhere I go.

#5 Bullie

Bullie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

Reading through the threads about Emporia Wars it sounded like you all had a good time, but I was also reading about some possible concerns or issues you had.

So I want to focus on Emporia and hear your feedback, both the Negative and the Possitive.

What did you like about Emporia Wars?
What did you not like about Emporia Wars?
Tell me your Emporia Wars story.

Eh this thread might re-ignite a fire.
Emporia was fun for the most part.
I liked the challenges, surprise missions that was incorporated in Emporia, and the various prizes earned. 5% ER, pretty raw.
I don't like the Mercenary System at all because it barely has options.
~You can't Invite a Mercenary.
~You can't Approve a Mercenary.
~There is no set limit of how many mercenaries can be on the guild.
~Little to no restrictions on mercs.

Solutions to the Mercenary System

~Limit the Mercenaries on a guild team a number proportional to the guild's member size.
--Ratio of 10:1?
--100 members in the guild - 10 Mercenaries.
~Make sure Mercenaries are motivated to take part in armed conflict.
--Anyone who has the audacity to become a mercenary must complete a certain quest to achieve a Mercenary Medal?
--The quest should be difficult and must be repeatable, as the Mercenary Medal expires in 7 days.
--Mercenary Quest should be activated when the Application Time starts for Guilds.

Emporia Wars Story

-had fun fighting Wingless. Crits help alot taking down towers
-facepalm took a while to defeat Calanor, because player on facepalm teleported through channel warps frequently. Not saying it's a bad thing as it's part of the system, but
It can be abused and seen as a nuisance. Less than 6 minutes we were able to achieve an attack turn, easy cakes after that.
-Wasn't really prepared to fight Soul or even Asc + Soul. But the War itself was pretty awesome.
2-1 not bad.

Calanor, were any of the GM's spectating at all?

Edited by Bullie, 25 January 2011 - 02:29 PM.

#6 Maronu

Maronu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2358 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

I feel that the option to be a mercenary should only be available to players who have remained guildless for a certain length of time and players should only be able to enter the tournament as a regular player if they have remained with their guild for a certain length of time (maybe 10 days). This would prevent pretty much all guildhopping and abuse of the mercenary system. It would also serve to support guild loyalty.

#7 HiRyan

HiRyan

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 901 posts
  • LocationIn your pants

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

The war was fun.

also mention before i hate:
-the enter emporia message
-how we dont have a castle yet

D:

#8 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

It was fun.
the merc system was a great idea since it gives almost any guild a chance at winning.

#9 Thuy

Thuy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

It was fun.
the merc system was a great idea since it gives almost any guild a chance at winning.

You don't need the merc system to have the chance at winning. The surprise mission is enough to get the guild enough points for the attack opportunity they need to damage the cores.

#10 Bullie

Bullie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

~Oh, and it takes no guild exp at all to attend Emporia War!~

Thats right.

Whether you're guildless or not! Don't fret!
Become a Mercenary now!
You have options (-A-) troll the guild with afk players, or (-B-) Creep right in a random Emporia Team!..
( 2 parts to option A)
Now, you're able to gain prizes just from afking with a guild! Anyone want 5% ER or 3% aim for a medal?
farm Emporia today!

But seriously. Everyone is able to mercenary whenever they want to. Lots of guilds spend loads of time racking up gq exp to even Enter Emporia. Whether we have a desired purpose to invite a friend to mercenary, there will always be random mercenaries on your team as long as you don't fill up 25, which might be hard for the average guild.

Edited by Bullie, 25 January 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#11 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

The difference is that mercenaries don't get a castle/stars by their guild. When the system starts working anyways.

#12 ElatusLin

ElatusLin

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • LocationThe Void Between Worlds

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

~Oh, and it takes no guild exp at all to attend Emporia War!~

Thats right.

Whether you're guildless or not! Don't fret!
Become a Mercenary now!
You have options (-A-) troll the guild with afk players, or (-B-) Creep right in a random Emporia Team!..
( 2 parts to option A)
Now, you're able to gain prizes just from afking with a guild! Anyone want 5% ER or 3% aim for a medal?
farm Emporia today!

But seriously. Everyone is able to mercenary whenever they want to. Lots of guilds spend loads of time racking up gq exp to even Enter Emporia. Whether we have a desired purpose to invite a friend to mercenary, there will always be random mercenaries on your team as long as you don't fill up 25, which might be hard for the average guild.

I rather leave it the way it is with a wait period between changing guild you mercenary for or removed completely.

Rather not have a situation where some guild leader spams invites to everyone he thinks is strong till they agree or log out, instead of now where he just spam wispers you, AHM EYE RITE?

#13 GrapefruitGod

GrapefruitGod

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • LocationSurrounded by kneesocks
  • Server:decard

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

You know if you hate mercs so much you can disable them right?

#14 to0n

to0n

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

But when there are diplomatic ties with foreign parties that option must be left open!

#15 Maronu

Maronu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2358 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

When you disable it, does it disable it for every other guild on the server?

#16 Meganekko

Meganekko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • Location305

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

Can't you set a level and class limit to who is allowed in if you want mercs? I think the solution we really need is INVITE for mercenary only. You have to type in the name of WHO you want to invite. EVERYONE TYPE IN MEGANEKKO<3 xoxox

-Wasn't really prepared to fight Soul or even Asc + Soul. But the War itself was pretty awesome.

How is it Ascension + Soul, more like Soul and 3 friends.

I believe their talking about how Bullie is saying you can just afk, if you turn off merc, no one can afk. Get it? ;D

Edited by Meganekko, 25 January 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#17 Bullie

Bullie

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Can't you set a level and class limit to who is allowed in if you want mercs? I think the solution we really need is INVITE for mercenary only. You have to type in the name of WHO you want to invite. EVERYONE TYPE IN MEGANEKKO<3 xoxox

Where did I say I hated mercs?

I'm just releasing possibilities that might happen if a guild decides to merc .

-Level Req 60
-Magician Class Only.

Know how many people fits these requirements?
If guilld <A> wants to invite a mage merc he'll have to invite every Level 60 + Mage Merc in the server.

2 Options only. The Ad was a use of rhetoric to show the community and GM's the problems that can happen if one #R[Turned on] the mercenary option.

When you disable the mercenary system, basically, everyone on the server guildless or not can't mercenary for that guild.

Edited by Bullie, 25 January 2011 - 05:06 PM.

#18 Coolsam

Coolsam

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationHiding from my Subscribers
  • Server:revreS

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

My personal thoughts? Well I think THQ'ICE Emporia War history is gonna repeat itself. Whoever remembers all EW's in THQ'ICE Dragonica knows what I'm talking about.

Mercenary isn't totally bad. I like (example here) how a said low level guild has a chance against a said high level guild by inviting some people to help. Just a certain limit should be set for said help so it doesn't go from fair to totally rigged. Maybe make it to where its based on the average level of the guild.

Example: Say a guild's average level is about 54. Say it's opponents average level is around 67. Let's allow the lower average leveled guild to invite mercenaries closer to the average level of the opponent.

#19 Kazu731

Kazu731

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3347 posts
  • LocationSky Garden
  • Server:Sky Garden

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

I also want to throw in that I quite liked the map change (?). It feels a lot sleeker than the old one.

#20 Solarak

Solarak

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

My personal thoughts? Well I think THQ'ICE Emporia War history is gonna repeat itself. Whoever remembers all EW's in THQ'ICE Dragonica knows what I'm talking about.

Mercenary isn't totally bad. I like (example here) how a said low level guild has a chance against a said high level guild by inviting some people to help. Just a certain limit should be set for said help so it doesn't go from fair to totally rigged. Maybe make it to where its based on the average level of the guild.

Example: Say a guild's average level is about 54. Say it's opponents average level is around 67. Let's allow the lower average leveled guild to invite mercenaries closer to the average level of the opponent.

I don't know about the average level thing, but everything else you said I agree with: no matter what happens, there will always be complaints about EW. And I do think this mercenary thing is better than the old version, but it definitely needs a few tweaks.

#21 Yurai

Yurai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2917 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

-facepalm took a while to defeat Calanor, because player on facepalm teleported through channel warps frequently. Not saying it's a bad thing as it's part of the system, but
It can be abused and seen as a nuisance.

Here are some examples of such abuse to avoid getting killed:

EnderW [Hero] Switching platforms : http://www.youtube.c...QxI2MbTHc#t=56s
HOPEisDOPE [Hero] Switching platforms : http://www.youtube.c...QxI2MbTHc#t=83s
KrWin [Hero] Switching platforms : http://www.youtube.c...xI2MbTHc#t=341s

Anyway, the new emporia system is already improved a lot in my opinion, and not much could be changed to ensure a fairer match.

#22 ImDiene

ImDiene

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • LocationYurai's <3

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

The mercenary system is supposed to have its advantages and disadvantages. The ability to let strong players in from other guilds is accompanied by the risk of undesirable people entering as well. This is why there is a choice to enable mercs or disable it; no one forces you to turn it on. The leader has to weigh the pro and cons and decide to take the risk or not.

Having an invite only system would lead to greater abuse since there would be no risk to this added feature of emporia. And as other people mentioned before, people can just spam invites to strong players who wouldn't even want to join.

The mercenary system is fine the way it is.

Edited by ImDiene, 26 January 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#23 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

Rather than merely repeat what has already been said here or in other threads, I'll simply say this: No matter what you add or eliminate, EW will always be "unfair" or "imbalanced" if only b/c of the huge gap that exists between players who play this game competitively and players who play this game casually. Neither is at fault, it's simply the way it is.

It might not be so imbalanced if the competitive players were more spread out across various guilds, but the most serious competitors (the ones who spend lots of cash or pour hours of time into the game) tend to gravitate toward one of the top 3 or 4 guilds. Again, it's perfectly natural that they do this.

EDIT: Having said that, I suppose it makes more sense to have a mercenary system so that guilds who don't have enough of their own competitive players to rely on can attempt to fill in the gaps and have a decent go at winning matches. At least they'll have a chance. Eliminating the mercenary system entirely might prevent some forms of manipulation, but ultimately, I'm sure if someone wants to have control over the outcome they'll find a way with or without the merc system.

Edited by Rimmy, 26 January 2011 - 09:50 AM.

#24 Hastur

Hastur

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 1553 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

I don't please explain, we'd really like more feedback.

As for now that was our first run of Emporia on the live server, we expected there to be bugs and issues. We understand that getting a message every time you log in is annoying and we are working on the issue. We will be performing additional tests with this weekends Emporia to make sure the 1star is working to its proper capacity, once that is done we will open up the 2 star castle. We will send your feedback regarding the mercenary system to Barunson for review and consideration. The more feedback we get from you all, the more detailed we can report issues. So thank you all for trying and reporting your issues, in the end we want this to be an enjoyable feature for all.

#25 Celestia

Celestia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Oh on THQ there was a lot of drama between each war, because before there was like 2 tops guilds and they hated each other.

Anyways for the castle bug, I hope it will be fixed soon. I know many in the guild wants some sort of compensation for the mess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users