#1 surferboy

surferboy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Locationcalifornia
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Meaning, which do you feel creates the most dramatic atmosphere (music, terrain, monster type, back story, etc.)

#2 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

mjolnir dead pit lol (for the music)

Edited by Ultimate, 31 January 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#3 ShadowOfLoki

ShadowOfLoki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Ymir (missing Loki)

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

The Rachel temple dungeon.

#4 ABK1986

ABK1986

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Robot Factory because of the story for the quest. Also Rachel Sanctuary, like ShadowOfLoki said.

Edit: I have my BGM off because I get wicked migraines due to noise. Someday I will listen, but I only ever care when I see threads like these :D

Edited by ABK1986, 31 January 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#5 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Biolabs Dungeon.

If you've done the quests and know the history behind it, it's actually rather sad. Just looking around the dungeons is also rather scary. Labs and testing rooms, slabs with shackles on them, skeletons and cells...

#6 ShadowOfLoki

ShadowOfLoki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Server:Ymir (missing Loki)

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Biolabs Dungeon.

If you've done the quests and know the history behind it, it's actually rather sad. Just looking around the dungeons is also rather scary. Labs and testing rooms, slabs with shackles on them, skeletons and cells...

I would've, but I was too low-level to survive the quests when they were available (though I did manage to get one of them done), and now it's even worse. :D

#7 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

valk prontera with the zeny spammers

#8 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:38 PM

Thanatos Tower

#9 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

mjolnir dead pit lol (for the music)

Mjolnir Dead Pit music-wise makes me think of a j-pop song I left on loop too long whilst mindlessly hunting 100+ Coals for a elemental Stunner for days on end years back when elemental weapons were actually powerful. :D

Based on story: Biolabs, Robot factory, Rachel sanctuary (I hear the story for Arunafeltz will continue in a future episode so interested to hear how the conspiracies unravel further)

Based on atmosphere/design: Niffelheim, Nameless Island, Glast Heim

I need to do more quests like the Odins ones to find out more about other places. I did a lot of Moscovia quests and they added to the 'atmosphere'.

EDIT: Now I read the page on Nameless Island and the reasons for each of the monsters I think it sounds more interesting story-wise:
http://irowiki.org/w...Nameless_Island

Maybe I glazed over the quest or missing quests but I didn't quite grasp the full story behind Nameless by the entry quest, it seemed kind of vague.

Edited by soudou, 31 January 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#10 Mischelle

Mischelle

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Glast Heim.

All of it.

#11 surferboy

surferboy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

i think magma dun is a pretty dramatic map. there are long, spindly bridges stretched over lakes of fire and gaping oceans of magma. fiery devils smolder from atop spires while huge, lumbering golems guard the portals. there are even flocks of flaming, demonic bats which assault you while you explore. and the choir in the background cries out in soft minor chords. the map is brightly lit so that it's easy to navigate, but huge and grandeous in scope. at the same time, the music and the dark colors used in the platforms and bridges which the player walks on create a very spooky effect.

#12 ButtardToast

ButtardToast

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Rachel temple before 3rd jobs and renewal, when you were low lvl and the place was actually scary to be at.

Edited by ButtardToast, 31 January 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#13 Markus

Markus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

By itself, Glasthiem easily takes the cake

However, including quests and what not that give you back ground Biolabs stands out above the others. Love the Rachel Sanctuary stuff too. Wish there was similar stuff that went all over Glasthiem (or if there is, I haven't seen it yet).

I'm always sad that they didn't develop Glasthiem anymore than they did. They put all that effort into making some amazing maps, but didn't do strings of quests and stories and stuff to bind it all together.

#14 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Glast Heim is also the only place other than Thanatos Tower with several different map BGM's in one place. I'm surprised nobody talks about Thor Volcano though. I've always loved the BGM for that place.

Edited by GuardianTK, 31 January 2011 - 07:52 PM.

#15 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

There is SOME story behind Glast Heim. I believe The Sign quest talks about something being sealed beneath the castle.

#16 WanderingCat

WanderingCat

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationWandering
  • Server:iRO Chaos Renewal

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

There is SOME story behind Glast Heim. I believe The Sign quest talks about something being sealed beneath the castle.

I think that's Dark Lord, at least that's what I can figure after watching the Ragnarok Anime.

Thanatos Tower

I agree, the top of Thantos Tower is pretty dramatic in atmosphere and feel. I feel the same way about the Endless Tower towards the top and where the MvP Naght Sieger spawns.

Nidhoggur's Nest is also in that category for epic feel, maybe it's the fear that anything in most of those dungeons can kill me if they get a good hit in.

Personally, with the above aside, I like Payon Caves. Especially the 4th and 5th floor.

Edited by WanderingCat, 31 January 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#17 hoikarnage

hoikarnage

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1876 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Of course Jawaii is the bestest map of all, as long as you bring a friend ;D

I've always liked clocktower too, how the different levels of the tower represent different parts of the clock, there is the swinging pendulum, and the bottom floor (UG), a lot of people don't realize is actually shaped like the face of a clock, with 12, 3, 6, and 9 all clearly visible once you know what to look for.

#18 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:15 AM

I'm always sad that they didn't develop Glasthiem anymore than they did. They put all that effort into making some amazing maps, but didn't do strings of quests and stories and stuff to bind it all together.

Yeah I'd like it if whenever iRO starts pushing the quest boat out like they have plans to that some story quests for Glast Heim are developed. There are so many areas there which could have some stories attached to it.

#19 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:39 AM

Hm... There's only one map where the whole package of monsters, story, design and music fits together for me...
And that's the dimensional george and the map with Satan Morroc...
The place is sad, the music is just basics, which supports this emptiness, the monsters can be creepy and are powerful and the story... hell, the story includes a whole city that was a part of Ragnarok since very early getting completly destroyed!
THAT is dramatic.

Additional to that, from design and story, I'll think of Biolabs and Glast Heim be very dramatic. Rachel not so much, but this may be because I'm interpretating "dramatic" as a kind of "sadness".
From the music, I think the BGM of Clock Tower and Abyss Dungeon are very dramatic in a slow tone, which I really like.

#20 Unifan

Unifan

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • Server:Private Server

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:45 AM

YggDrasill Tree dungeon in New World, idk i think is all connected up from the begining of the quest, and also connected up to the two tribes =P, but yeah if u done the quest and actually read the story from the begining of the new world quest, i guess ull understand the whole story

Edited by Unifan, 01 February 2011 - 04:49 AM.

#21 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:50 AM

Glast Heim is a favorite, but when Einbroch was first introduced it really blew me away. Lots of animated parts, a smoky sky with airships moored nearby it was a bit inconvenient to walk around but had a lot of neat mini-quests.

If you guys have some ideas for fun quests in these maps, post it here or in proposals and I would like to get something together for a future update in the mid spring or summer.

#22 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

for me it's Juperos. I just love the music, and the deep ancient ruins overrun by rogue technology. There's something very exciting about it.

#23 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:34 AM

If you guys have some ideas for fun quests in these maps, post it here or in proposals and I would like to get something together for a future update in the mid spring or summer.

Maybe make it an event like the current headgear contest going on:
http://forums.warppo...dgear-feb-2011/

If you look at some players posts there it's really impressive how much detail and talented players we have in terms of design and artwork etc. (e.g. Allysia's thread is amazing detail-wise and also others) I'm sure if it was made into an official thing and had its own section like that people would contribute to adding quests for forgotten maps or towns that are lacking.

Also same with what was mentioned in the Ustream chat about designing "culture towns" or monster spawns for iRO (america and other international countries highly represented in the playerbase in iRO like UK etc.)

Edited by soudou, 01 February 2011 - 05:37 AM.

#24 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:54 AM

Why not making a section in the creative section where people constantly can wrote and post possible events? Like the Design a Mount section, which also has no final date?
Whenever you like an event, you can pick it and bring it ingame.
It would open the door to all kind of events, like seasonal, storywise, areawise...
Would be great I think ^.^

#25 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:48 AM

Glast Heim is a favorite, but when Einbroch was first introduced it really blew me away. Lots of animated parts, a smoky sky with airships moored nearby it was a bit inconvenient to walk around but had a lot of neat mini-quests.

Well since Einbroch is a very industrial city there are bound to be problems. Such as the noxious outside of town. Maybe have the people in charge of the factories or the blacksmith guild as for people to clear this problem. By clear i dont mean a kill quest. Give these things some background story like maybe....they were created my the immense amount of smoke and horrible air quality around the area. OH what about somthing along the lines of noxious instance dungion. Maybe create and instance inside the factory. They could be messing with the machines and if you dont stop them they could possibly blow up the factory and destroy the town. Make the reward of course exp (maybe just base for this one) some items (possibly weapons) and maybe a thing like the fruit juice maker and get some cheap forges for low cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users