#1 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hey to all the Warlocks or people that are interested in becoming warlocks,

My question to the RO community is...

What are the best Warlock Builds for WoE and for MvPing, and what gears are ideal for that build.

Also I was wondering which gear in particular is better for a Warlock, Ninja Scroll or Well-chewed pencil?

Rylor

#2 Caelum

Caelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

Hey to all the Warlocks or people that are interested in becoming warlocks,

My question to the RO community is...

What are the best Warlock Builds for WoE and for MvPing, and what gears are ideal for that build.

Also I was wondering which gear in particular is better for a Warlock, Ninja Scroll or Well-chewed pencil?

Rylor

As far as gear goes, Ninja Scroll is a great choice now because of 2 things. 1) Locks rely heavily on matk and any %matk items you can get your hands on the better, and 2) most Lock skills have shorter total cast times than Wiz/Hwiz spells AND INT also aids in cast time reduction, so Dex isn't as important.

As far as builds go, I can't offer much help. Locks suck at MvPing because MvPs have retarded levels of mdef that virtually renders magic damage useless, and decent WoE builds are still being debated over.

#3 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Locks suck at MVPing due to too much MDEF on *all* of the bosses... well, except the holy and shadow ones... those are just plain immune to you. Since Locks *still* don't have any reliable way of bypassing enough MDEF to care, and *still* can't effectively fight holy and shadow monsters, you'll find the list of bosses you can fight is very, very small, and in all cases, other classes are better at it even on those. If you're hoping for a "I can't hurt the boss, but I annihilate his minions, making him easy to kill" role, the combination of all normal monsters being weak, and all melee being able to kill them in under a second means this isn't a role that still exists. The tank will effortlessly dispose of the mob.

Locks are of limited value in WoE. Tetra can kill if someone is dumb enough to give you time to set that up... and has no matk gear... and you guessed the element right... and someone else is hitting them at the same time, but for the most part, even the "mighty" Comet is easily potted through. You *do* have a few useful status effects, and this is likely where you'll want to focus.
-White Imprison can disable a target completely, giving the killers time to get over there
-Frosty Mist applies a huge area slow, which can help tilt a close battle in your direction with superior maneuvering
-Sienna is an AoE stone curse - 'nuff said
-Earth Strain is an AoE divest - again, 'nuff said
While none of these are must-have skills, they can be used in combination to be a major annoyance to enemies, and thus ensure you have enough value to not be a complete waste of a party slot. You also have the advantage that even though pretty much everyone can one shot you, you don't tend to be a priority target since you don't kill, and so some intelligent status spam really can make a difference... whether it's enough of a difference to justify playing over someone that actually kills or is better at disabling is highly questionable though.

Unfortunately, while the design of the lock class is actually really cool, Renewal mechanics simply don't make them very good overall. They're outclassed by sorcs pretty much everywhere, who in turn, are outclassed by meleers.

To answer your gear question, definitely the scroll. The new cast time formula has a fixed, unreducable portion with the variable portion of cast time using a diminishing returns formula that starts very fast, but quickly stops doing anything noticeable. Not only is dex gear pretty much pointless, but most don't raise the base stat beyond 80-90. Similarly, because int no longer curves MATK *at all*, and gives a measly 1.5 MATK per point, most stop int around 90 - most of your MATK now comes from your staff, not your int. On the plus side, this means getting 100+ vit for survivability is now very easy to do. However, melee does such insane damage now that 100 vit is often not going to prevent being 1 shotted. You will at least be immune to a lot of status effects though - while launching plenty of your own.

The bottom line: Locks are one of the weakest classes in Renewal. They do have a couple of interesting tricks, and the design is solid enough that if they ever rebalance things, they could be quite interesting in the future. For now though, prepare for one hell of an uphill battle pretty much everywhere you go. I wouldn't say they're completely useless, but well... good luck finding a party to level in, and don't be surprised when guilds aren't terribly enthusiastic about having you on seige.

Edited by Mwrip, 15 February 2011 - 11:15 AM.

#4 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

I see.. So the only real thing that I have to look forward to and if it happens.. is if they improve warlocks or nerf some of the overpowered stuff you've been mentioning.. :|

Last question is about staffs, Eraser or Staff of destruction? I can see that Eraser is better for WoE and maybe for PvE unless the staff of destruction has a few upgrades on it.

P.S. Cheers for the information.

Edited by Rylor, 15 February 2011 - 06:33 PM.

#5 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:32 AM

Locks suck at MVPing due to too much MDEF on *all* of the bosses... well, except the holy and shadow ones... those are just plain immune to you. Since Locks *still* don't have any reliable way of bypassing enough MDEF to care, and *still* can't effectively fight holy and shadow monsters, you'll find the list of bosses you can fight is very, very small, and in all cases, other classes are better at it even on those. If you're hoping for a "I can't hurt the boss, but I annihilate his minions, making him easy to kill" role, the combination of all normal monsters being weak, and all melee being able to kill them in under a second means this isn't a role that still exists. The tank will effortlessly dispose of the mob.

Locks are of limited value in WoE. Tetra can kill if someone is dumb enough to give you time to set that up... and has no matk gear... and you guessed the element right... and someone else is hitting them at the same time, but for the most part, even the "mighty" Comet is easily potted through. You *do* have a few useful status effects, and this is likely where you'll want to focus.
-White Imprison can disable a target completely, giving the killers time to get over there
-Frosty Mist applies a huge area slow, which can help tilt a close battle in your direction with superior maneuvering
-Sienna is an AoE stone curse - 'nuff said
-Earth Strain is an AoE divest - again, 'nuff said
While none of these are must-have skills, they can be used in combination to be a major annoyance to enemies, and thus ensure you have enough value to not be a complete waste of a party slot. You also have the advantage that even though pretty much everyone can one shot you, you don't tend to be a priority target since you don't kill, and so some intelligent status spam really can make a difference... whether it's enough of a difference to justify playing over someone that actually kills or is better at disabling is highly questionable though.

Unfortunately, while the design of the lock class is actually really cool, Renewal mechanics simply don't make them very good overall. They're outclassed by sorcs pretty much everywhere, who in turn, are outclassed by meleers.

To answer your gear question, definitely the scroll. The new cast time formula has a fixed, unreducable portion with the variable portion of cast time using a diminishing returns formula that starts very fast, but quickly stops doing anything noticeable. Not only is dex gear pretty much pointless, but most don't raise the base stat beyond 80-90. Similarly, because int no longer curves MATK *at all*, and gives a measly 1.5 MATK per point, most stop int around 90 - most of your MATK now comes from your staff, not your int. On the plus side, this means getting 100+ vit for survivability is now very easy to do. However, melee does such insane damage now that 100 vit is often not going to prevent being 1 shotted. You will at least be immune to a lot of status effects though - while launching plenty of your own.

The bottom line: Locks are one of the weakest classes in Renewal. They do have a couple of interesting tricks, and the design is solid enough that if they ever rebalance things, they could be quite interesting in the future. For now though, prepare for one hell of an uphill battle pretty much everywhere you go. I wouldn't say they're completely useless, but well... good luck finding a party to level in, and don't be surprised when guilds aren't terribly enthusiastic about having you on seige.

You have some points,but thats not true :huh:

#6 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Sheepmia, would you care to share with us what is the "truth" :|

#7 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

A.
a wl in a party..
1.Secrament
2.Strings
3.sacrifice
4.damage gears

B.
a wl by its own
1.defense gears
2.one hand staff or combat knife
3.Debuff skills
plus: a wl surround by enermies>>>speed pot

C.
wl using comet: wasting time
wl using TV: make sure you dont die first

once you know this fact you can start to test stuff for the best gears/skills you want..
there is no "truth", unlike pre-renewal..
and one thing i realized these days is that boost your matk may not be the best option in woe,
if you want further info of my wl
Please enter our bond of awesomeness xD

#8 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

yeah sure, I'm rather curious as to see the gameplay of a warlock in WoE or something, if you could gimme information on your warlock or perhaps show me a WoE video of ether you playing warlock or someone else on this server that would be great! :)

#9 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

yeah sure, I'm rather curious as to see the gameplay of a warlock in WoE or something, if you could gimme information on your warlock or perhaps show me a WoE video of ether you playing warlock or someone else on this server that would be great! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptulMmSEeM
Saturday 02/12 WoE

There are lots of Warlock's videos there in that Channel... some people don't like that style thou...

Anyway Ja na

Edited by Wizard, 17 February 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#10 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptulMmSEeM
Saturday 02/12 WoE

There are lots of Warlock's videos there in that Channel... some people don't like that style thou...

Anyway Ja na

your gears is kinda untouchable x.x

#11 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

your gears is kinda untouchable x.x

you can do the same with regular gears thou

#12 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

Lol I see that warlocks are more of an annoyance rather then killers, that video just see you walking around and around doing status affects. Could only see one or two people getting killed in that video XD

I can see that warlocks can be fun and WoE affective, they just kinda remain a bit boring... walking around and status-ing enemies while the guild kills them. :#

Anyways thanks for all the help and support to this topic :Emo_12:

Ja mata ne :(

#13 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:16 AM

Lol I see that warlocks are more of an annoyance rather then killers, that video just see you walking around and around doing status affects. Could only see one or two people getting killed in that video XD

I can see that warlocks can be fun and WoE affective, they just kinda remain a bit boring... walking around and status-ing enemies while the guild kills them. :#

Anyways thanks for all the help and support to this topic :Emo_12:

Ja mata ne :(

Oh... that's mainly because they reduced the WoE damage from 60% to 40% on that week... like that is quite hard to kill something. THis week was 50% and still quite hard xD

Old videos were made with 60% damage base and it was quite easy to kill and get killed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FcYVCjXKHM

Edited by Wizard, 20 February 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#14 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

its about to make a tanker warlock!

#15 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:28 AM

Mmm interesting, well here is my build for when I'm 150 Warlock.

http://web.hc.keio.a...dBeFbfqSr3bsUcY

if you can't see it, it's here below.

Mage:

Sight lvl 1
thunderstorm lvl 1
lightning Bolt lvl 1
COld Bolt lvl 7
Frost Diver lvl 1
Napalm beat lvl 7
Soul Strike lvl 7
Increase SP recovery lvl 10
Saftey Wall lvl 10
Stone Curse lvl 1

High Wizard:

Sightrasher lvl 2
Meteor Storm lvl 10
Jupitel Thunder lvl 10
Stormgust lvl 10
Lord of Vermillion lvl 1
Stave Crasher lvl 1
Soul Drain lvl 10
Mystical Amplification lvl 10
Gravitation Field lvl 3
Quagmire lvl 5
Earth Spike lvl 3
heavens Drive lvl 1
Ice wall lvl 1
Sense lvl 1
Ganbantein lvl 1

Warlock:

Summon Fireball lvl 1
Crimson Rock lvl 5
Hell inferno lvl 5
Reading Spellbook lvl 1
Freezing Spell lvl 5
Summon Lightning lvl 1
Chain Lightning lvl 5
Summon Waterball lvl 1
Frost Misty lvl 4
Jack Frost lvl 5
Summon Stone lvl 1
Sienna Execrate lvl 2
Earth Strain lvl 5
Tetra Vortex lvl 5
Radius lvl 3

Stats:

Str: 1
agi: 1
Vit: 99
int: 120
dex: 64
luk: 99

Gimme your comments on this :wub:

#16 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:44 AM

Debuff warlock is really useful in woe but ppl will hate u because you are too "awesome"(like tank a noob fist)
At the same time people will want u to have tetra vortex, and once you got that skill you must have enough dex(100+) to even cast it.
And luk is nothing to lock in my opinion. add them to dex would help more.

about your build, crison rock is really useless, and freezing spell lvl 5 is pointless atm too, if you have to get it, make it lvl 3.
And a true debuff lock should have over...110 vit. just saying..

dex> fix castt- earth strain,tv (only)
fix cast>dex - others

*_*

#17 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

kk well looking at my new build taken some out of freezing spells to make it 3 and 3 out of crimson rock to make comet lvl 5

Opinion?

and what kinda stats? Looking at "Wizards" WoE vids... that's something I'm gonna aim for xD

Cheers sheep

Btw tell me when your ingame, maybe we can discuss this there in better detail :wub:

Edited by Rylor, 25 March 2011 - 02:46 AM.

#18 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

kk well looking at my new build taken some out of freezing spells to make it 3 and 3 out of crimson rock to make comet lvl 5

Opinion?

and what kinda stats? Looking at "Wizards" WoE vids... that's something I'm gonna aim for xD

Cheers sheep

Btw tell me when your ingame, maybe we can discuss this there in better detail :wub:

tell me how to make a video...

#19 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

tell me how to make a video...

You just get a program that can record games and yeah, they have a hotkey to start filming and stop.

Only two i know is gamecam, and fraps.

fraps is way better then gamecam

#20 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Bump.

Looking for a good stat and skill build for warlock.

#21 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

secret is if you have +9 kvm, then go for tv.
if not..120vit

#22 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:15 AM

What's the dex that I'm ment to get!!! D:

#23 sheepmia

sheepmia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

dex 110+... lower your int if you dont have +9 kvm lol..

#24 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

DEX could be 99 since you get bonus from job... INT 120, VIT 86 or so and rest on LUK... that's quite balanced...

You don't need to have +9 KvM SoD to inflict good damage... a +9 SoD can do the work almost the same... +12 or more KvM SoD is quite different thou...

Warlock play style is as follow...

12% spells (warlock's skills), 28% gears (regular gears can be good in the right hands) and 60% personal skills...

Ja na

#25 Rylor

Rylor

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

Ahh alright, cheers for that, now I kinda know what I'm aiming for in stats.

But how about the skills? In your last vid Wizard, I saw you have comet and TV, is that build any good? or is the one you sent me better where your just basing your points more into TV and status affect skills?

Cheers for the help so far -_-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users