Ceer's Password Algorithm - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Ceer's Password Algorithm

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ceer

Ceer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSouth Kafra, Payon

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

Step 1:

Write a sentence you are likely to remember. Make sure it has letters and numbers. A proper noun or two would help. The sentence should have as many words as the maximum password length.

Step 2:

Arrange the words from the sentence top to bottom. A grid will help organize the letters. Any letters on the same row as a capital should be capitalized.

Step 3:

Pick your passwords vertically. IE, for the first password, take the first letter of each word and number of each date. Do this until you run out of suitable passwords. A good password sentence will yield 3 or more good passwords. This should be all you really need.

Goal:

Your ultimate goal is to memorize your password sentence so that you have it down pat. By memorizing words, you're spending the same amount of effort as memorizing a single set of letters, but in a more natural form that you can use for a lot more passwords.

Example:

Let's say my password needs to be between 6 and 12 characters long, have at least 2 of the following: lower case letters, upper case letters, numbers, and punctuation.

I'll create my sentence:
I
started
Ragnarok
with
my
friends
Sarah
and
Bobby
on
6 4 2011

And collect my passwords:
pw1:
IsRwmfSaBo6 - an 11 character password with 4 caps and a number
pw2:
tAiyrAnOn4 - a 10 character password with 3 caps and a number
pw3:
aGtiRdB2 - an 8 character password with 3 caps and a number
pw4:
rNheAB0 - a 7 character password with 3 caps and a number
pw5:
tAnHY1 - a 6 character password with 3 caps and a number.

5 passwords is a good haul. It should keep me Ragnaroking for a year or more under the current password change requirements. All I have to do is memorize a simple sentence: "I started Ragnarok with my friends Sarah and Bobby on 6 4 2011"

btw...this example has never been one of my passwords.

Edited by Ceer, 24 February 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#2 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

Ceer's algorythm sounds somehow familiar...

A good idea is to keep a mail for registering sensible accounts, and a mail to use for messaging and chatting. Also, using different passwords for sensible and random things is crucial. If remembering many passwords is too hard for you, an easy tip to get easy to remember good passwords is making a phrase:

Teddy is the name of my 1st character in Ragnarok Online could be changed into Titnom1ciRO

Easy to remember the pw by remembering the phrase, hard to guess password, okish to write the phrase in a notebook to give you a tip while random people don't suspect much. And not hard to keep a related phrase for 2 or 3 different kind of things unlike trying to remember random codes and ending using one for everything.

Edited by Kadnya, 25 February 2011 - 06:27 AM.

#3 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

The thing I don't get is they said the password changes are mainly for those who get keyloggers or use public computers (the 'bit between Gravity and you'), not because of the server being compromised with brute forcing, hacking etc. But I don't think any kind of regular password changing will protect against that. If you get a keylogger on your PC it'll record whatever you type in on that day whether you changed your password 5 seconds ago or not. Better would be to reccomend to those people to use firewall, antispyware, antivirus and a program guard (e.g. Online Armor) along with the usual "whats a decent password" and "whats a phishing email" tips etc. Prevention better than cure as they say. For using public computers its always going to be a risk if its a shady place but I'm sure there are some portable programs people can use such as on a USB stick that means you drag and drop passwords than having to type and checks for run-of-the-mill keyloggers. Plus using Firefox Portable with some security plugins installed vs the installed browser on the PC.

Edited by soudou, 25 February 2011 - 03:09 AM.

#4 Shanden

Shanden

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valk

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:40 AM

Step 1:

Write a sentence you are likely to remember. Make sure it has letters and numbers. A proper noun or two would help. The sentence should have as many words as the maximum password length.

Step 2:

Arrange the words from the sentence top to bottom. A grid will help organize the letters. Any letters on the same row as a capital should be capitalized.

Step 3:

Pick your passwords vertically. IE, for the first password, take the first letter of each word and number of each date. Do this until you run out of suitable passwords. A good password sentence will yield 3 or more good passwords. This should be all you really need.

Goal:

Your ultimate goal is to memorize your password sentence so that you have it down pat. By memorizing words, you're spending the same amount of effort as memorizing a single set of letters, but in a more natural form that you can use for a lot more passwords.

Example:

Let's say my password needs to be between 6 and 12 characters long, have at least 2 of the following: lower case letters, upper case letters, numbers, and punctuation.

I'll create my sentence:
I
started
Ragnarok
with
my
friends
Sarah
and
Bobby
on
6 4 2011

And collect my passwords:
pw1:
IsRwmfSaBo6 - an 11 character password with 4 caps and a number
pw2:
tAiyrAnOn4 - a 10 character password with 3 caps and a number
pw3:
aGtiRdB2 - an 8 character password with 3 caps and a number
pw4:
rNheAB0 - a 7 character password with 3 caps and a number
pw5:
tAnHY1 - a 6 character password with 3 caps and a number.

5 passwords is a good haul. It should keep me Ragnaroking for a year or more under the current password change requirements. All I have to do is memorize a simple sentence: "I started Ragnarok with my friends Sarah and Bobby on 6 4 2011"

btw...this example has never been one of my passwords.

You never cease to amaze me kind sir -_- +1

#5 Frappuccino

Frappuccino

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

you people worry about this waaaay too much

#6 Ceer

Ceer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSouth Kafra, Payon

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:43 AM

Ceer's algorythm sounds somehow familiar...

I didn't see that. I stopped reading Kad threads long ago. I just figure he's a troll and ignore most of his posts.

I've been using this type of thing personally for years.

#7 JAYRAD

JAYRAD

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Server:the one with the bots

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

yall actin like password00 is too easy to forget

#8 Markus

Markus

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

yall actin like password00 is too easy to forget

I'm rather fond of this. That way when we need to change our password, we can just make it password01 ... 02,03,04 and so forth. or shorten it to pword00 if you have troubles remembering it.

#9 Droyd

Droyd

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:15 AM

Tit nom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users