#1 TheFury

TheFury

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:chaos

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:24 AM

so my question is why can a spam bot spam like that without getting muted i cant even say the same thing more then twice and they say it over and over and over why cant they be muted better im assuming they get around the 2 max by being a bot but the muting is beyond cant you make a more dynamic muting system i get muted for trying to B>xyxyxy items on the market but they can spam away my idea would be something that changes the rate of how fast you can talk by the date time a changing variable but will have to be multiply by the number of things said in x amount of time and then you get stage one muted passably with a image capcha and if you say the same thing or the wrong thing muted and only for a few mins and if the problem continues longer. i say this because i want to be able to pm a vender and know they are more then likely to get the msg and people like to B>/S> and venders need to get those msgs too or just give me the mute hammer and i will take care of them $^@%#s heim could you maybe fill me in on why they get away with this?

#2 Sessilvant

Sessilvant

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:00 AM

I think most of them get around the "repeating" limit by using slightly different messages each time - such as having 1-9 on the end of an otherwise-repeated sentence.

#3 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

They hax.

#4 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:12 AM

They're using a modified client.

#5 Fibrizzo

Fibrizzo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1068 posts
  • LocationA Coruña/Galicia/Spain
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:14 AM

They're using a modified client.

They aren't even using a client.

#6 Zeratul

Zeratul

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:33 AM

The spam filter is client-side, and since bots don't use the client, they aren't affected by the filter.

#7 Quazera

Quazera

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

The spam filter is client-side, and since bots don't use the client, they aren't affected by the filter.

[offtopic = exoD:?]

#8 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

I stopped reading after realizing there weren't any periods in his post.

#9 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

I think most of them get around the "repeating" limit by using slightly different messages each time - such as having 1-9 on the end of an otherwise-repeated sentence.

The bots don't know that they aren't affected by the filter. The chat filter and the too many failed attempts to login work kinda funny: it is your client the one who counts how many repeated phrases per second/failed login attempts you do in a short time, and if a limit is reached, then it requests the server to temporaly mute you or deny you the right to login.

Since bots do not use the RO client, there is none sending requests to be mutted, and they could be repeating the same phrase without variation or numbers if they wanted.

#10 soudou

soudou

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1338 posts
  • Server:EU abyss

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

I stopped reading after realizing there weren't any periods in his post.

Actually I found 1, its like Wheres Waldo to find it. :P

#11 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:23 AM

Actually I found 1, its like Wheres Waldo to find it. :P

There's no point in looking for a period after the 3rd line in a post.

#12 TheFury

TheFury

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

yes there is 1 in there, tho i cant find it now. well either way this is the internet punctuation is not really important(unless you cant read i guess)
so the answer is its client side.
thanks to all who replayed on topic it would be nice to see a server side update to this to mute them bots once and for all

Edited by TheFury, 11 April 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#13 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

yes there is 1 in there, tho i cant find it now. well either way this is the internet punctuation is not really important(unless you cant read i guess)
so the answer is its client side.
thanks to all who replayed on topic it would be nice to see a server side update to this to mute them bots once and for all

This a forum. Punctuation is perhaps more important here as all you have to express yourself with is what you write. If you write like a moron you will be perceived as a moron and get answers accordingly, such as now.

No punctuation means it sounds like you're talking without stopping to take a breath or pause at all. It also disables you to make any sort of point, because you can't finalize your sentence.

#14 TheFury

TheFury

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

well by that logic if all you can pay attention to is the lack of punctuation it makes you look like a 12 year old a.d.d infested... for lack of a better word thing. and as i said this is the internet there are meny ways to express your self ^^

#15 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

As many have pointed out, the chat filter isn't great to make people "Shut up". There is a 2nd filter on the receiving end, but that has suboptimal game performance as it is easy to bypass and makes the game client lag out when it is too long. Our best practices method is to mute them and ban them, and do all possible to make sure they can't register more accounts easily.

#16 TheFury

TheFury

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

yea i guess there is always a way to hack your way around a obstetrical. i think the more important thing to realize is we are pretty much doing it to are self. i mean someone has to selling the zeny to sellers or doing it them self. and its really a shame that they would do this to there own community members.

Edited by TheFury, 11 April 2011 - 01:00 PM.

#17 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

As many have pointed out, the chat filter isn't great to make people "Shut up". There is a 2nd filter on the receiving end, but that has suboptimal game performance as it is easy to bypass and makes the game client lag out when it is too long. Our best practices method is to mute them and ban them, and do all possible to make sure they can't register more accounts easily.

Why hasn't the development team addressed this problem? I remember you saying in the past that server-side message filtering would strain the server. However, the server wouldn't need to perform pattern matching on every message sent through it — it could, for example, merely test whether the quantity and rate of messages sent by static characters in towns exceed a certain threshold. It's certainly not rocket science.

I'm certain that the spammers have, and continue to, cost IRO a large number of customers. :P

Edited by richard, 25 March 2012 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users