Changing Emporia Times - Page 3 - Dragon Saga Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Changing Emporia Times

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#51 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Gurlz
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Bi-weekly EW isn't an option is it? Because that'd probably solve things, early EW on Wednesdays and night-time EW on Saturdays or something (works for RO).

#52 Kenji117

Kenji117

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

A I work saturday nights. Also I go out the nights I dont work. I would rather go out at night then be at home on the computer.

#53 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Bi-weekly EW isn't an option is it? Because that'd probably solve things, early EW on Wednesdays and night-time EW on Saturdays or something (works for RO).

Bi-weekly EW wouldn't work very well with our EW system. We have a bidding period, a tournament style matching system, a 1 star castle defense, and a 2 star castle defense. It'd really be too rushed.

Guys, stop pretending we all have lives.

We all know ds>life

^^

Just because you prefer going out in the daytime doesn't mean that everyone else goes out in the daytime also. Several posters mentioned that they prefer nighttime so :| Everyone has a different schedule, please stop generalizing.

Just wanted to put this out there, but in the current EW system, there's absolutely no reason Soul would vote A just because of competition.

Edited by Kazra, 14 April 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#54 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Bi-weekly EW wouldn't work very well with our EW system. We have a bidding period, a tournament style matching system, a 1 star castle defense, and a 2 star castle defense. It'd really be too rushed.

ah i see, that's too bad

#55 ImDiene

ImDiene

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • LocationYurai's <3
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

This suddenly means I have to start competing in EW at a different time because I couldn't possibly have anything better to do on the weekends, right? Lol.

What. I never said that. Where did you get that from? o_O

I chose A b/c that's the best time for me and b/c it won't interfere with current PvP League times, although I really don't see why there's any explanation necessary -- when you take a poll for the raw results like this (tallying up votes), you don't scrutinize every person's vote. You just add up the numbers and boom, you have your winner. The polls for the presidential race don't force you to explain "why" you voted for your candidate, you just pick your favorite (no matter how biased your vote may be), and it counts.

EDIT: Well, I suppose you did ask for reasons, but it's not like the reasons will really make much of a difference -- there are so many people who could vote on this that you'll have any number of reasons, each of which is valid to that particular individual (and perhaps others).

Who said votes wouldn't count depending on the reason? o_O
I'm not counting the poll; GMs are.

The time may be inconvenient for you, but because the vast majority hasn't complained, that means most people are content with the way things are. We shouldn't even need to vote for [A], because as the side that wants change, you have to convince us why the time change would be better. There's a lack of arguments that can generalize the community as a whole. So far I've only seen personal reasons as to why [B] would be preferable.

You guys don't really want to force everyone to eat microwaved frozen dinners, do you?

This is what I see so far.
Arguments for A:

Already established time period.
Earlier time for EST players. Late night for younger players.
Doesn't interfere with community established PvP league.
Doesn't overlap with Ranking or BSQ.

Arguments for B:

One or more person(s) will no longer have to rush home to participate in EW. Allows people who work during the day to participate in EW.
Allows for more time during the day to do more productive or fun activities.
Ranking is pointless.

What.I'm not trying to convince or change anyone's vote lol.

But for your list thingy, A does overlap with BSQ which is at 5 right :|

It's just that in the previous poll, I don't recall the current time slot being the majority vote. I believe it was much later time since it wasn't established as weekends only then so I asked for a new poll to see. :|

Explain your reasoning as to how 18+ would find it easier to be on during the night and those under 18 would find it easier to be on during the day.

Someone else said something about bedtimes.

edit:
OH HEY YAH I FOUND SOME OF THE OLD STUFF

Might you take community input on this issue? For instance, create a poll w/ several different time slot choices and take our thoughts into consideration (our reasoning, beyond just the poll results).

Personally, I feel that it would probably be best if EW started immediately after Ranked PvP. Either that, or move Ranked PvP times forward an hour and put EW in between BSQ and Ranked.

EW being after BSQ would be cool. I work on thurs, fri, and sat and don't get home until about 9pm est(6pm pst) and 6 pm seems to be prime time for most people especially the west coast.

I wasn't making it up :blink:

Edited by ImDiene, 14 April 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#56 to0n

to0n

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Oops, okay, I'll fix that.

For the former statement, what I mean is you guys are proposing a change, therefore you should be making arguments as to why the time change would be better.
EW is already established as time A, people in this thread have voted A. You have to convince people's votes or it won't happen.

#57 Meganekko

Meganekko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • Location305

The BIGGEST problem is the fact that there's 3 hrs difference between the east in the west. So its either too early for some or too late for others. I CHOOSE D. GUESS IM ODD MAN OUT *cries*

DO I NEED A REASON REALLY?? I CHOOSE THE VOTE NO ONE ELSE HAS CHOSEN SO I THINK I'M ALLOWED TO NOT GIVE REASONS :/

Edited by Meganekko, 14 April 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#58 to0n

to0n

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1075 posts

The BIGGEST problem is the fact that there's 3 hrs difference between the east in the west. So its either too early for some or too late for others. I CHOOSE D. GUESS IM ODD MAN OUT *cries*

I knew it.

#59 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

My comment was more directed at Yurai and his statements:

I don't think most of the responses here are valid, especially the ones with no real reason behind them since we're all a bit biased. Of course, all the Soul members chose A, and all of us Ascension members have chose B. It'd be better if those who simply stated their choice would give a brief explanation as to their reasoning behind the time they chose.

If the reasoning behind the vote won't be used to determine if it's a "valid" vote or not, why bring it up in the first place? What qualifies as a valid vote, one that isn't biased? Everyone's will be biased based upon his/her personal circumstances.

Also, if you're going to take the old poll into account, you shouldn't put too much stock in it, since people are prone to changing their minds (myself included) and some circumstances have changed (BSQ/Ranked no longer being as important).

Edited by Rimmy, 14 April 2011 - 05:26 PM.

#60 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Yo Diene. http://forums.warppo...-chaosdragoon1/ He's been gone for nearly 2 months.

#61 Kenji117

Kenji117

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

What. I never said that. Where did you get that from? o_O

It's just that in the previous poll, I don't recall the current time slot being the majority vote. I believe it was much later time since it wasn't established as weekends only then so I asked for a new poll to see. :|

Someone else said something about bedtimes.

edit:
OH HEY YAH I FOUND SOME OF THE OLD STUFF

I wasn't making it up :blink:

Actually at this point you still have not gave an explanation. What person in their right mind who is above the age of 18 has a bedtime? (Going to sleep early because you have to wake up early the next does not count because nobody is forcing you to go to sleep) I don't know about you but I always stayed up past when my parents told me to go to sleep even when I was under 18. And even if the bedtime concern is true that is a even greater reason to keep it at what it is currently. 3:30 - 5:30 PST is 6:30-8:30 EST if anything it should be earlier.

No, that would mean she would be unable to participate in the PvP League. While work is her personal reason for wanting a different time for EW, there are also other reasons for wanting EW to be moved to a later time of day. I feel that having a later EW is generally better for the 18+ population while having an earlier EW is better for the under 18 population.

I feel that having a later EW is generally better for the under 18 population while having an earlier EW is better for the 18+ population.

Fix'd

This caters to those who tend to go out with friends on the weekends. The current time is probably the best as it is more in the middle. Where it is not too late yet not too early.

Edited by Kenji117, 14 April 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#62 ImDiene

ImDiene

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • LocationYurai's <3

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

My comment was more directed at Yurai and his request:

If the reasoning behind the vote won't be used to determine if it's a "valid" vote or not, why bring it up in the first place? What qualifies as a valid vote, one that isn't biased? Everyone's will be biased based upon his/her personal circumstances.

Also, if you're going to take the old poll into account, you shouldn't put too much stock in it, since people are prone to changing their minds (myself included) and some circumstances have changed (BSQ/Ranked no longer being as important).

Those changing circumstances (BSQ and Ranked) are the reason for this new poll, which is why the option of overlapping Emporia with these less important matters was proposed.

The old poll (or my memory of it until I found it) was used to determine the probability and usefulness of even making such a thread. Of course, the old votes won't be counted. I was just saying that these times were proposed before, not only by me, and seemingly favored then. The purpose of this thread is to figure out who still feels that way, who now doesn't, and new player's opinions.

Reasons would be nice to address the flexibility of the votes, I guess. There are differences between the ability to always make a certain time, sometimes make that time, or never make that time.
o_o Maybe I should change it to voting for times to not have Emporia and vote for as many slots as you want!..lol nah
Reasons would also prevent mass voting by players not as affected by the issue to prevent that kind of bias...if that makes sense lol.
It basically just shows their relation to the issue. For example, if some people don't even play Emporia or are available for all times.
Voting basically blocks out a group of players from playing if you are voting for a time that comes with such reasons; so for them, a reason would just be nice or an act of courtesy. Of course, reasons would not outweigh the actual votes so I'm not sure why it's bothering you so much. =/

Actually at this point you still have not gave an explanation. What person in their right mind who is above the age of 18 has a bedtime? (Going to sleep early because you have to wake up early the next does not count because nobody is forcing you to go to sleep) So basically you have a false statement.

I feel that having a later EW is generally better for the under 18 population while having an earlier EW is better for the 18+ population.

Fix'd

This caters to those who tend to go out with friends on the weekends. The current time is probably the best as it is more in the middle. Where it is not too late yet not too early.

No, you misunderstand. The B is bad for younger players argument was for east coast players. The 18- population would have a bedtime and would not be able to participate in Emporia. The 18+ population would be able to stay up later and participate in Emporia.

Edited by ImDiene, 14 April 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#63 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

Of course, reasons would not outweigh the actual votes so I'm not sure why it's bothering you so much. =/

Fair enough. And don't worry, it really doesn't bother me. I've cast my vote and I've said my piece.

#64 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

No, you misunderstand. The B is bad for younger players argument was for east coast players. The 18- population would have a bedtime and would not be able to participate in Emporia. The 18+ population would be able to stay up later and participate in Emporia.

Pretty sure they're talking about going out with friends (which you honestly can't pinpoint to a specific time period. There ARE people who prefer daytime, and those that prefer nighttime), not bedtimes.

Edited by Kazra, 14 April 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#65 ImDiene

ImDiene

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • LocationYurai's <3

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Yo Diene. http://forums.warppo...-chaosdragoon1/ He's been gone for nearly 2 months.

I said from what I remember the community said before -___- I don't know when they stopped playing.

http://forums.warppo...lesquare-times/
this thread too :|
Everyone liked the 5~6pm time when BSQ was important :|

(THESE AREN'T VOTES)

Pretty sure they're talking about going out with friends (which you honestly can't pinpoint to a specific time period. There ARE people who prefer daytime, and those that prefer nighttime), not bedtimes.

I know. I know why he said that. I mean this is why Yurai said that; he was responding to the guy who said what I just explained, which was the B is bad for 18- argument.

You are talking about the B is bad for the 18+ argument. :|

Edited by ImDiene, 14 April 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#66 Thuy

Thuy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

The BIGGEST problem is the fact that there's 3 hrs difference between the east in the west. So its either too early for some or too late for others. I CHOOSE C. GUESS IM ODD WOMAN OUT *cries*

DO I NEED A REASON REALLY?? I CHOOSE THE VOTE NO ONE ELSE HAS CHOSEN SO I THINK I'M ALLOWED TO NOT GIVE REASONS :/

edit: Why are you people arguing lol. Obviously this poll is based on opinion, so there's no point in arguing with each other.

Edited by Thuy, 14 April 2011 - 06:03 PM.

#67 Meganekko

Meganekko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • Location305

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

I knew it.

Posted Image
"Meganekko
AKA Kay
ASC4LYFE!!!
"

BACK ON TOPIC: D!!!

#68 to0n

to0n

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1075 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

The BIGGEST problem is the fact that there's 3 hrs difference between the east in the west. So its either too early for some or too late for others. I CHOOSE C. GUESS IM ODD WOMAN OUT *cries*

I KNEW IT.

"Meganekko
AKA Kay
ASC4LYFE!!!
"

BACK ON TOPIC: D!!!

No wait! I want to see Thuy's picture!

#69 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

http://forums.warpportal.com/index.php?/topic/25311-battlesquare-times/
this thread too :|
Everyone liked the 5~6pm time when BSQ was important :|

I know. I know why he said that. I mean this is why Yurai said that; he was responding to the guy who said what I just explained, which was the B is bad for 18- argument.

You are talking about the B is bad for the 18+ argument. :|

Don't know what your BSQ link proves. Unless you're proposing that EW starting at 5.

And... idk but Kenji posted that B is bad for 18+, B is good for 18-. But whatever, everyone's situation is different. We should stop generalizing :|

Anyways, just know that we're picking times based on our preference. No, we're not picking A just so you can't participate. Yes, we might pick A just so you can't participate if the EW system was different. But no, we're not picking A just so you can't participate. I'm sure you realize why you would be heavily gimped in the current EW system, so having you in or out of EW has no relation to competition with Ascension. Just wanted to say this so that you won't get the wrong idea that people are picking A just so "ImDiene" won't be able to participate.

#70 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

i think this thread is the reason why forum mods don't allow the community to create polls anymore

#71 Kenji117

Kenji117

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

But whatever, everyone's situation is different. We should stop generalizing :|

I'm Kenji and I support this message

#72 ImDiene

ImDiene

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • LocationYurai's <3

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

Don't know what your BSQ link proves. Unless you're proposing that EW starting at 5.

And... idk but Kenji posted that B is bad for 18+, B is good for 18-. But whatever, everyone's situation is different. We should stop generalizing :|

Anyways, just know that we're picking times based on our preference. No, we're not picking A just so you can't participate. Yes, we might pick A just so you can't participate if the EW system was different. But no, we're not picking A just so you can't participate. I'm sure you realize why you would be heavily gimped in the current EW system, so having you in or out of EW has no relation to competition with Ascension. Just wanted to say this so that you won't get the wrong idea that people are picking A just so "ImDiene" won't be able to participate.

I wasn't generalizing. I was explaining that there was some basis to what Yurai said when whatshisface ign I can't remember said there wasn't one. Both sides make sense.

starting at 5 is one of the options too :|

Well, that quote only says our opinions on BSQ times. Anyways, Emporia running at the same time as BSQ and Ranked sounds good.

More than 3 most likely. You're not going to be in the first EW every single week. But besides that, since there's less matches as each day passes, how about something like... 5 PM PST Friday, 6 PM PST Saturday, and 7 PM PST Sunday?

:|

Edited by ImDiene, 14 April 2011 - 06:18 PM.

#73 hungfido

hungfido

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

I'm just wondering... can the posts that follow after mine be:

Vote:

Because:

I love you and I don't hate you. Can I have some cookies?

But ya, no more stupid fighting? lol... kinda getting pointless now ^^;;

#74 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

Except BSQ is at 5. And I don't want that.

Also, you dig up a post I made 3 months ago when everyone was just assuming what the system would be like based off other servers. Right now, we have it all on one day, and dragon defense on the day after. I wouldn't mind if it was 5 PM 6 PM 7 PM on different days, but I really rather not have it 5-7 PM or whatever on one day. Schedules change. What might be convenient for me 3 months ago might not be now. Having already played a week at the current time, I like it and I prefer it over the other times. Is there a problem?

Anyways, I don't have anymore further input on this subject asides from what I've stated before. I like current times, I don't want a swap. If times do swap to an inconvenient time for me, then so be it. Just won't EW, idc.

Edited by Kazra, 14 April 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#75 Midoof

Midoof

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationocean

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

If this was an actual poll, it needs to be redone. This could be the discussion thread, and a new thread could be made where you are to only post bolded votes with a clear slate to vote from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users