Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:55 PM I was thinking of a buff item that gives the "power of [item]" for 5 minutes. Like coating a shield in the essence of GTB, or your waist in Magingiorde essence.
Would give players a chance to "sample" such gears before deciding if they really want to invest in trying to acquire them and would lower the absurd price those items now have. At some point the number of 0s don't mean anything, there is nothing the game offers that would soak that much zeny from such a character, it ends up being a bigger burden keeping track that being useful. God items should be sought after due to how it helps you, not in how much you can get for it.
Odd mental exercise, how different would woe be if god item pieces were NOT tradable, IE the guild leader picking up is the only way to make that item happen, they would have to migrate castles to get what they want, but would that be a good thing?
It is interesting the different views on things. I personally think a limited acquirement item that gives a temp buff that is "like" ghostring, GTB or god items (or even a lower level instead of +40 str it is +20) to be of use in castle defense/siege I would think it would add an interesting dynamic.
Sort of the way turbo pots are strategic use (or at least used to be). Do you really think that a temp equalizing via a consumable would hurt the permanent always on item? Or is it a feeling of I don't want others to feel as awesome ever as I do all the time when I play? I am not trying to troll here, seriously I am actually very curious on this.
The WoE 1 item thought isn't something I am trying to push, but it is an interesting mental excercise, it would give more "umphh" to WPS tokens for buying god item pieces or pushing defense. The WPS tokens became too much a time killer for us, and it wasn't actually doing what WPS was intended to do. If there aren't fights going on, why should we reward the "win" it became just an extra currency we were giving away rather than a well earned reward like it was intended.
Us monitoring every woe, every castle every server isn't viable, we just don't have the manpower to do it, and then use our observations to reward "effort" and then think that it is "fair" as I know we would miss sometimes. I want to take you all to a neat place where WoE is fun for all classes, items and strategy and practice all come to play in your winning in defense and offense, and I want the rewards of doing it not be something that greatly influences the economy, but instead the combat is its own reward and the items you get are sought after by the guild members to use. Part of the seal quests, and treasure balancing, and class skill patching all play some part in this, but the hurdle that is highest is changing the feelings of long term players from feeling they "deserve" to get everything handed to them via WoE participation and get it to be a I earned what I got because of my efforts and my friends. The 2nd feeling is one that is sustainable indefinitely, players will flock and thrive in such an environment, but I need help from the game leaders, which often is the guild leaders.
Now I've had a number of conversations with players through MSN about this subject and I'm sure many more polite discussions are in my PM box as well. One thing I've seen in common is a sense of panic and WTH. When we discussed much of their concerns did stem from how it would impact themselves and what they do in the game. I put no restrictions on this thought excercise, and for good reason, I wanted player interpretation of what is important to them.
So now with a bit more clarification, on what all would at least need to be considered before anything like this would take place.
- Very short duration buff. The more effect it has or more location on where it could be used would further shorten the buff.
- If it is a powerful buff it would have a reuse timer on it
- Very likely the item would NOT give the effect of what it is named after. For instance a GTB essence wouldn't give magic immunity, instead it would be a hightened Mdef for instance.
- Method of acquiring can't be discussed as frankly it is an idea not a reality.
So let me add a few logs to our peaceful campfire.
- Test server, we do intend to have it for USRC practicing, and if things go well to do more guild tournaments (perhaps for WPS points?)
- Setting up events/scenarios where you get empowered by the gods to do epic things like (perhaps these scrolls when used for you by NPCs) slam into a boss of a map to complete a quest.
- Allowing players to just "test" on sakray doesn't make much long term sense, as it is a limited service that frankly could lessen the longevity of the game if you get to skip everything just to get to specific crunchy bits and get bored of it. But PVP is a different story.
- Scrolls like this were not ever considered a viable "sale in the kafra shop" item, they would by design be restricted to events or winnings or something.