#101 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

I'd like it if it directed to a good page instead of just link listing though.

Instead of
#Ragial
#iRO Wiki
#Ropd
#etc

It would be:

#Ragial - Prontera Item/Shop Search Engine!
#iRO Wiki - The Wikipedia for iRO ! Check out the forums as well!
#ROPD - Ragnarok Online Player Database, find yourself and friends!

This can be supplemented with images for each service, perhaps have the creators of each site submit an image they make that is appropriate for the link.

Blow things up a bit~

#102 ensignfluke

ensignfluke

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

Two things I'd personally like to see, if the GMs are serious about making changes on their own, are removing Arclouzes from alde_dun02 and Orc Archers from orcsdun02. Would make those two places so much more enjoyable to level in for the ranges they are intended for.

Would also like it if they allowed warps in all overworld maps. It makes it annoying to level in places like ra_fild03 when you can't warp there or even the map next to it for some stupid reason. Or at least give a VIP warper that warps you to places that you can't memo.

#103 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

You all make some good points. Don't know if you noticed, but kRO added an in game web browser in their latest update. Hopefully they added it so players have easier access to fan sites information and databases and not so they can spam us with ads.

It would be pretty cool if you could go to the Prontera or Juno libraries and look up quest guides, skill info, and database info from irowiki. Oh and this reminds me, when Sakray was up for testing Brasilis, the client didn't take exclusive control of the mouse and I was able to quickly jump to sites that had info about the update while in windowed mode. Can we get that on the main server client?

Anyway, I think one of the biggest things that has been lost in RO is the sense of exploration. When I started in 2004, I walked everywhere. Money was so hard for me to come by that if I wanted to go to Geffen from Pront, I walked. If I then wanted to go to Morroc, I walked. To Payon? Walk again; no fly wings, no butterfly wings, nada. It may sound nerdy, but I know every corner of this game and I learned it through years of exploring. Today, we have lots of players in their 100s who don't even know how to get to Magma from Juno, or from Hugel to AL or TT, or where the airship is, or the difference between the domestic and international airship. Adding in all those warps does make it convenient for veteran players, but it prevents new players from learning about the world of RO. We have a very shallow pool of knowledge when it comes to those who are currently playing RO and that hurts as much as anything. I don't really have ideas on how to fix this outside of the one in my last post about adding tons of quests that are worth while (exp wise they should be equivalent to the exp earned in that amount of time leveling).

#104 ensignfluke

ensignfluke

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

It would be pretty cool if you could go to the Prontera or Juno libraries and look up quest guides, skill info, and database info from irowiki. Oh and this reminds me, when Sakray was up for testing Brasilis, the client didn't take exclusive control of the mouse and I was able to quickly jump to sites that had info about the update while in windowed mode. Can we get that on the main server client?

You mean like that mouse freedom thing they have for RO?

#105 Cubical

Cubical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

This right there is a prime example of how to keep new players away from the game. One of the things they specifically were asking about was drawing new people in. Great, we get it, you hate casuals and think you're hard core (which is hilarious in itself). However there are tons of MMORPGs out there where you don't have to open 3-4 sites alt-tabbed to just play. Just look at the elephant in the room, WOW, you NEVER have to look outside the game to know what to do next. Yet according to you, they're never going to get anywhere. I guess that 12 million+ subscriber base is wrong. However, do not assume I mean that RO should become like WOW, I am 100% NOT saying that. What I am saying is that it's easy to see what drew people in to the new crop of MMORPGs and definitely easy to see what that player base likes and EXPECTS. If you don't want to deliver on some of their expectations, you can then expect to either not attract them to your game or not retain them.

What it really comes down to it is that this is a business and they have to decide on their business model, appeal to a handful of hardcores or open up to the casuals. From a business standpoint I think I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to appeal to 12 million+ casuals rather than the 5000 hard cores (Just going off of what I see logged in on the three servers on average, which isn't even that accurate).

As for the dead branch thing in particular, it was put in the game by developers and has incredibly obvious griefing potential, therefore I do feel it's their responsibility. That is to say, if they care at all about people griefing in that fashion. Maybe they don't and c'est la vie, I'm willing to accept it. However, it does chase off new people, which is clearly something they are trying not to do.

First off RO is the only MMO i bothered to play. Yes im a hardcore gamer and yes you should respect the fact that i play the game competitively, can think faster then you and be better then you because i train my mind and body to do so. But enough about my amazing accomplishments in tournaments[outside RO] and helping people out in my precious free time in Ragnababes dating site online[aka iRO] lets get back to the subject of why cant the GMs just link the websites in question to novice training grounds npc[first one you talk to inside the castle].

Maybe i didnt make this clear enough, simply put if you take away the penalties of the exp from monsters no.1 and make the party/quest exp more rewarding i believe this helps fix this issue. Eden group is a step in the right direction make no mistake, its where the casuals should differently start at. But niggahs need to be able to find some direction after 85+. People here want to try to overly simply things too much. What more and more new players need to do is start asking questions and getting the proper answers and not ":wub: U GOAWAY NUB" which is what half these forums consist of.

Ok ok to be extremely moot and to the point, the biggest eye sore RO has is its grind -- make NO mistake thats where the biggest problem lies. Both hardcores and casuals are not too keen on the grind. It takes alot of motivation, time and zeny to get from point A to point B and i wouldnt blame newbies for giving up. Though you must have an aside with your self and think critically on the whole concept of grinding. On one side of the fence it keeps people from getting to max level too easily, aka you WORK for what you want and on the other side you level up extremely fast and get max level withn a more reasonable amount of time. 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Max level if they really adjust the values? Sounds about right post renewal. Took me 1-2 months to get 99 trans typically pre renewal. From what im seeing it takes people about the same amount of time post renewal. Its a very fine line between making it too too easy and too too difficult. The GMs are obviously trying to help atm with EXP events, but really once the exp penatlies for monsters/parties/quests is improved[aka more exp] then we'll be seeing better results without changing :wub: too too drastically.

You mean like that mouse freedom thing they have for RO?

i like this thing so much <3

Edited by Cubical, 30 April 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#106 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Cubical, please refrain from your remarks.

This isn't about you. This is about changing the game to become a more pleasant place.
Making snappy comments about yourself and others isn't the way to do it.

If RO is the only mmo you've bothered to play then you should broaden your horizon and find out what pulls over 12 million players to one game, and several thousands to others.

#107 ensignfluke

ensignfluke

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

i like this thing so much <3

I hope it's not like that though, because I absolutely hate it. =( And if it is like that, that it has a way to turn it off.

#108 Cubical

Cubical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

Cubical, please refrain from your remarks.

This isn't about you. This is about changing the game to become a more pleasant place.
Making snappy comments about yourself and others isn't the way to do it.

If RO is the only mmo you've bothered to play then you should broaden your horizon and find out what pulls over 12 million players to one game, and several thousands to others.

A word of advice

Don't feed my troll. If someone speaks to me in a demeaning manner, expect as much back.

I dont bother with other MMOs, RO is all i ever really needed in an online community. I get everything else i want out of gaming through my Wii and Xbox.

I hope it's not like that though, because I absolutely hate it. =( And if it is like that, that it has a way to turn it off.

wait mouse freedom doesnt turn off? unless your talking about shift clicking? or snapping of skills?

Edited by Cubical, 30 April 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#109 firzen

firzen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Something else-

Somebody mentioned it earlier, but there is a huge difference between the response you get from the community in the forums, and in the game. The majority of players don't check forums, and not just the noobs either.

Generally, I find things much more positive in the game, and most of the recent changes have been serving their purpose. Don't get your heads low GMs because of what the forum people say, they are one type of audience, a culture in it's own.

Some of the changes have been good, don't overlook this. I stopped playing just now as I walked into a dungeon and seen a lot of old school partying. Thought about this thread and wanted to mention

#110 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

A word of advice

Don't feed my troll. If someone speaks to me in a demeaning manner, expect as much back.

You should try and be more nice to people. Having an aggressive tone gets you no where.

That being said, a good suggestion that has been said over and over again, a server side chat filter.

Update:

This isn't a npc or quest idea, but a reminder:

Remember how fun it was with gm made town invasions at random times?
Bring it back!

Edited by AtlasThunderbeef, 30 April 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#111 ensignfluke

ensignfluke

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

wait mouse freedom doesnt turn off? unless your talking about shift clicking? or snapping of skills?

I just mean if they put something like that in the game themselves like with what Akin was talking about. =P I just didn't try out Sakray during the Brasilis testing so I don't know how what he was referring to worked which is why I was wondering if it was like mouse freedom.

#112 JediKitteh

JediKitteh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

You know, honestly, these changes are amazing. Thinking back to how it was when i first started playing (Which was back in open beta, when Aldebaren was new), i see how much the game has changed (for the better and the worse). I remember back then hearing the GMs talking about how they had no control over the game. How they couldnt fix bugs and how they'd have to wait for updates from KRO to fix anything. I came back a few months ago and I was amazed by what I saw. I read posts by mod about thing THEY where changing. I cant believe the ammount of control you guys have now. Back then, me and my husband where just dating, and we played on a home network. He had a huge guild in the old payon (God i miss it). That was when level 80 was a big deal! Now, I just hit 99 after playing for two months...and really it felt good. I had played for a few years and never once had an aura of my own. Now, we are married and parents. Now i play rather casually after I put my little one to bed. I love having this game. I Love that prontera (so full of merchants) reminds me of the city market vendors id seen in Boston growing up. I love the calm and friendly nature of the people who hang out in payon. I hope it stays forever! I just wanted to thank you GMs and Programers and players for keeping this going!

#113 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

I just mean if they put something like that in the game themselves like with what Akin was talking about. =P I just didn't try out Sakray during the Brasilis testing so I don't know how what he was referring to worked which is why I was wondering if it was like mouse freedom.

I've never used mouse freedom to I have no comparison to give you. With the sakray client I was simply always able to click outside of the windowed client, without alt tabbing, or hitting the windows key.

#114 Zenith

Zenith

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

More hair styles and Clothes dye please.
Maybe an option with tool shop that allows plays when buying bulk amounts it can be transfer to storage straight away. E.g If buying over 1k Fly wings, 1k pots it will give the user to place them in storage without having to run backwards and forwards.

#115 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

What would be cool is if you could give a rough timeline, or failing that just the order in which you plan to do these updates.

tbh im just interested in how long it is till I need to get a proper weapon for my RG, but am genuinely interested.

For example, are you currently planning to get the skill update before or after testing/implementing 13.3 in May/June?

Also about "hacking out" the level range thing. I certainly dont think its perfect but I think it can have a place with a couple of major changes. 1) remove the upper limit. set it to scale from 140% (10 below) to 100% (18 below?) and not drop below 100%. 2) change the lowest drop to 50% at 30 levels above. The exp should already be pretty naff anyway but its nice to get a bit of exp while farming items.

I think most people would agree though that getting rid of the drop penalty system completely would have a much higher priority for the community than removing the exp penalties. Or maybe change bubble gum so that it negates the level penalty + its current bonus, im sure that would appease everyone annoyed at the new VIP+Gum mechanics.

Edited by Hrothmund, 01 May 2011 - 03:02 AM.

#116 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:41 AM

The exp-level penalty is good.
Just get rid of the tripling at +16-15 and it'll be fine.
It currently goes
13 - 130%
14 - 125%
15 - 120%
16 - 40% WHAT THE HECK
17 - 40%
change it to
13 - 130%
14 - 125%
15 - 120%
16 - 115%
17 - 110%
18 - 105%
-||-
30 - 40%

The drop-level penalty is what makes NO SENSE. No one likes it, no one wants it, it doesn't do anything good, and no it doesn't do :wub: to bots. Get rid of it, now.

#117 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:24 AM

^^ I think if you can gear/support a char so much that a lvl 50 archer could kill Gold acidus successfully, more power to you. That sort of power-leveling while extreme for the individual, generally requires several support people like what peeps did with archers in Thors pre-RE to make seal rollers. If you can cram 20bil worth of gear onto a low level char, he should be freakn awesome not capped at killing the same stuff a NPC clad char is.

#118 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:24 AM

I've never used mouse freedom to I have no comparison to give you. With the sakray client I was simply always able to click outside of the windowed client, without alt tabbing, or hitting the windows key.

It's exactly the same, it's a dll file in the folder.

#119 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

You people are sad. -.- browsing a wiki for information is one of the most fun things about any in-depth game. Do you just want everything handed to you on a platter? It won't have that 'reasearch' feel to it anymore.

#120 geniewinie

geniewinie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

It'll be nice if there is like a time limit on lending the God items.

example:

if I borrow a friend's Asprika through a mail like (if happens implemented) thing where we can set a time or number of hours to which the asprika will instantly sent back to the original owner's kafra storage or the mail like 'thing' (but there's no such thing) when the time expires. that way, whether some1 stoles the God item, it'll be retrievable. the mail like system or thing could have a limit of 1 to 2 days.

which is an awesome idea.

----------BUT!
before hand,
I BEG YOU PLEASE UNNERF RANGERS!!! -_- :wub: :wub:
- make Arrow Storm no delay 0s cast time; and Arrow Bolt to damage at least 50k (5k% damage) when target is immobilized.
thanks -_-

Edited by geniewinie, 01 May 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#121 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Honestly, sometimes I just feel like all the maps in between the cities should be filled with very strong monsters. Low lvl monsters in a direct route between cities so newbies can run through safely, but some mabs with like...VERY hard monsters. For example, there's the Willow shaped map east of payon. Why not load it up with lvl 150 Ancient Willows that drop normal items. I feel like iRO needs to branch out and take a whack at some of these neat ideas (on this thread) every once in a while. Make the game more unique!

Also, stop spoiling us! I feel like some of the negativity comes from getting too many tangible rewards like exp events. I love the new newbie system but I also like Oda's idea that you get forum points or ranking for helping.

Edited by Ultimate, 01 May 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#122 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

First of all, I love iROWiki, so don't take this wrong.
I might note that currently, the iRO Wiki is sadly lacking as far as the database goes. Most monster information is not completely updated to Renewal that I have seen, monster counts for maps show up as ? marks, and they sometimes even have the wrong maps listed. I *always* use Doddler's database for Renewal monster data, but do look up stuff on the Wiki database because their display of information is easier to read and understand.

I've also been trying to keep up on editing quests as I do them for the actual Wiki itself, because of Renewal/VIP changes and translation errors. There are no information pages for dungeons either.

If we were going to do an official info page, it would need to be seriously active and caught up by the community and GMs before mentioning it in-game.

This IS a good idea though. Let players know where they can turn to for information. Maybe a Useful Links page on the iRO website and a short description of each page linked? We used to have something like this.

Or... they could just make it so the NPCs in the game aren't so darn vague or actually correct about what it is they want.

You people are sad. -.- browsing a wiki for information is one of the most fun things about any in-depth game. Do you just want everything handed to you on a platter? It won't have that 'reasearch' feel to it anymore.

How is a game fun when you have to do research WHILE PLAYING IT? I don't mind opening up a browser every once in a while, but to make it a requirement in order to understand what the heck an NPC wants from you?

Hey, hey, how about this? We take out ALL the text and pop-ups in the game and completely rely on the official website and fansites to figure out how to do anything in the game? FUN, RIGHT?

#123 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:14 AM

I did a lot of research for Aion, quite a bit for WoW, endless hours in Diablo II databases and I feel like I almost did a degree for EVE.

Those games are all fun right? ('fun' could be debatable for the last one).

I thought having to strategise, work things out, experiment (read about others experiments) was a fun part of MMO's, character builds etc. If I wanted to play a game with none of that i'd play a FPS. But hang on you still need to learn about the weapons etc, the "realistic" ingame descriptions for those generally dont pan out with real practicalities ingame.

Honestly if a game didnt have some sort of wiki or online database available I probably wouldnt bother playing it.

#124 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

I personally love irowiki and it's database. I love going there to lookup quests, I wish it was cooler looking like rocards.de or some other server sites, but in generally I find it complements and old game like RO really well. HOWEVER! irowiki needs a lot more love from iRO considering if it disappeared the game would really get lose a huge resource. It might also force people to try a lot harder and veterans would be relied on hugely for questing.

#125 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

RoCards may looked new and fresh, but hell, the info's on that site were terrible outdated for a very long time - and now, all what's left from the site is the forums anyway, cause the people on the forums (90% german speaking) are gotten used to look for the informations at iRO Wiki or Ragnarok no Seishi (another german site)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users