Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1103 posts
  • Location3rd Planet from the Sun
  • Playing:Requiem
  • Server:Valdes

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:59 AM

Hello,
I've started my Protector and want to know if there is a defence cap as wiki claims.

There is an unconfirmed defense cap stated to be at ~2700 defense which will give an 80% reduction of damage and any increase will give diminish results.

Wiki LInk

Thank you

Edited by Chardane, 29 April 2011 - 04:03 AM.

#2 Leash

Leash

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3490 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Trifri

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:21 AM

ppl do belive so yes. personally havent tested it myself, but iiiiguessitsallright.

so no need to enchant your armor with defense imo.

#3 netsniper

netsniper

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1691 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:23 AM

prot has same def cap as any other class...just for prot its very easy to reach it...if ull be full pve only u wont even need to get survival instinct to reach it when proper reinfd gear

#4 gimek

gimek

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

There isnt exactly a cap but after that 2700 the amount of defense you need to see a reduction in damage is not worth the effort. Spiritual Intensification is nice for the squishy players and should get you to 2700 easy with the DNA on it.

#5 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:05 AM

There is no hard cap. Again, logarithmic formula = limit is infinity. Practically, around 2700 or so you reach a good point, after that the benefit is small with increasing def (SMALL does NOT mean absent). I would claim a value around 6000 is an actual point where you really hit the top (or like 99% "efficiency" anyway).

#6 netsniper

netsniper

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1691 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

thing is from 2700 def i dont see any diff on my dmg...so after u get that its time to invest in ur block % ...all there is to it

#7 Syre

Syre

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1860 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:14 AM

There is a visible difference from 2700 to 3k to 3.1k. I've seen it in LR defense and even short range when using inferno and get hit by zerk stun.

#8 pepsta

pepsta

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDown Under
  • Server:Vlllades

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

ok this one has been on my mind for a very long time -defense cap....

ok everyone keeps saying that 2700 is the cap - yes?

but i think i read somewhere that 2700 is for like 80% reduction or there abouts and that going beyond this point is not really worth the xeons/slots/skill points etc.... so technically speaking its not the cap - just a very comfortable lvl - agreed?

Im actually in the process of testing this out so hopefully will have some interesting results in the near future, Currently am alrady past the 2700 mark - almost in the 4500's to test out how much diff there really is going higher in defence to see if the damage taken differs alot depending on how much def i have.

am just testing against PvE - PvP will be done afterwards - im not that smart!!! lol :)

#9 Chardane

Chardane

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1103 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:49 AM

ok this one has been on my mind for a very long time -defense cap....

ok everyone keeps saying that 2700 is the cap - yes?

but i think i read somewhere that 2700 is for like 80% reduction or there abouts and that going beyond this point is not really worth the xeons/slots/skill points etc.... so technically speaking its not the cap - just a very comfortable lvl - agreed?

Im actually in the process of testing this out so hopefully will have some interesting results in the near future, Currently am alrady past the 2700 mark - almost in the 4500's to test out how much diff there really is going higher in defence to see if the damage taken differs alot depending on how much def i have.

am just testing against PvE - PvP will be done afterwards - im not that smart!!! lol :)

Please post the results soon I am thinking of going beyond 2.7K but the extra skill points would become very handy in attack if I could spare them -_-.

You should team up with a rad that can buff you, to test you theory further.

Thanks for the hard work -_-

#10 MakoXD

MakoXD

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7028 posts
  • Server:TERA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

this
Posted Image
is pretty much correct

#11 Chardane

Chardane

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1103 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

this
Posted Image
is pretty much correct

I can't help but think that is wrong. I mean you can hit 2700 with just Spiritual Intensification + DNA and good armour.

#12 MakoXD

MakoXD

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7028 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

I can't help but think that is wrong. I mean you can hit 2700 with just Spiritual Intensification + DNA and good armour.

tested with my Tempest vs Ranger. ~300 and ~700 def is the % on that list

#13 Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationAthens, Hellas
  • Server:Hammerine

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:01 AM

The table with def values and % damage reduction is correct and these values do work.

Finally, about the "2700 magic number" and all that. Why not try and see for yourself what REALLY high numbers mean, like 5-6k def or more. I am tired of repeating myself every little while, but I have bloody tried the thing for 1.5 years now (really high def). So instead of assuming what it would be and what not, how about people actually try and see how it works, in every situation, mobs, hard mobs, impossible mobs, raids, debuffs and everything else.

My conclusion: HIGHER WORKS. For me it does, maybe for no one else. But I believe many people trust my abilities, so I might have some proof. Thankies.

#14 XRay

XRay

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3371 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

only for you, it's gravity's plot to make you spend even more money and +30 even more items to get even higher defense Posted Image

ps. yea ur pve abilities must be grrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeat

Posted Image

Edited by XRay, 28 June 2011 - 09:05 AM.

#15 MakoXD

MakoXD

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7028 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

My conclusion: HIGHER WORKS. For me it does, maybe for no one else. But I believe many people trust my abilities, so I might have some proof. Thankies.

ohh thanks mister old_wise_man

#16 pepsta

pepsta

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDown Under
  • Server:Vlllades

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

Ok been doing a fair bit of testing so far so good.....

Can anyone help me with Phys dmg (not Crit) calculation / formula??
Cant seem to locate it!

oh and FYI - Mako is 100% Correct with those figures.

How easy you hit 2700 is up to your gear/skills/xeons used - s1 item helps massive amount in this regard.. i currently have 4/6 pieces and it helps considerably.

Hopefully will post up some crazy results soon, wanted to get a better range so trying with Most dungs - WS SL PD next up RH DS Bisk

trying to factor in mob/boss dmg as well to see if its all working together nicely or not.. however only going on values im finding in forums and what not since i cant trust wiki 100% but have taken those values just in case for comparison..

#17 Loyalty1

Loyalty1

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:♪ ♥ ♪

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

Block > all.

#18 tally

tally

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationDisgruntled
  • Server:Velik - Vermillion

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

According to the formula, of course you can get the defence above 80%.

The question is whether or not there's a hard cap in place so that the actual effect won't be more than 80%.

Crit rate also apparently has an 80% cap. I've not tested either so I'm not sure, but it does *seem* that more def does block more heavy damage.

Also in LW raid, he has 3100 Defence or so... more than 'cap', so this should be 80%. When he uses phyical attack immunity this goes up to about 33k. Shouldn't make a difference if there is a cap, but I noticed a further drop in damage.

Go figure x.x

#19 Hugh

Hugh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Also in LW raid, he has 3100 Defence or so... more than 'cap', so this should be 80%. When he uses phyical attack immunity this goes up to about 33k. Shouldn't make a difference if there is a cap, but I noticed a further drop in damage.

Go figure x.x

But with def debuffs he'll go a little under capped def, maybe thats why you noticed a difference.

Edited by Hugh, 10 July 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#20 Loyalty1

Loyalty1

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:♪ ♥ ♪

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

Crit rate also apparently has an 80% cap.

No.

#21 jls1znv9999

jls1znv9999

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:52 PM

Go as far as you want to with your gear. Then cast 1 buff after another with a Rad buffing you with Divine. You will know from there if you want to put more pts into defense skills. This is also variant if your wanting to be the survivor if rad Dc's or gets killed. It happens people. Not all Rad's get it all right all the time. Have fun with it. If you want more skills in other areas use a reset!

Block % is also a factor!
Better to block and have good defense than have great defense and lower block %. S1 gear should add 1% block (armor) each pieces. Essence of Iron earings must have. They have a good con base and add 2% block each!

Edited by jls1znv9999, 16 September 2011 - 01:52 PM.

#22 Freja

Freja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

There is a visible difference from 2700 to 3k to 3.1k. I've seen it in LR defense and even short range when using inferno and get hit by zerk stun.

Of course there is a difference. To be able to use Skull Crasher you need a weapon equipped. A weapon has a minimum and a maximum damage, and that's where your difference is!

#23 Syre

Syre

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1860 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

Of course there is a difference. To be able to use Skull Crasher you need a weapon equipped. A weapon has a minimum and a maximum damage, and that's where your difference is!

um

#24 Freja

Freja

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

um

What? You thought your old post could escape my lurking eyes?

#25 Syre

Syre

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1860 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

What? You thought your old post could escape my lurking eyes?

stalking me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users