The Nostalgic Noob Challenge - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

The Nostalgic Noob Challenge

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#26 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

I think this is a great idea. Aside from Oda playing on Valk, this whole thread is great. I think a less tangible reward system - forums points, etc, is the best route to follow. I find Heim's posts about community negativity could be address by not spoiling us so much!

#27 Taper

Taper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

We have rarely-utilized Kafra Bonus Points (the one you earn by using Kafra services). Why use that as rewards for in-game achivements, and revamp the Kafra rewards into something much more useful? They could be tied into some sort of in-game achievements

The only time we ever actually used it (aside from getting rid of them when we hit our limit) was for the Spare Card event.

#28 Alorien

Alorien

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

I would love to see a sort of contest that promotes enjoying and experiencing the game, rather than one of those "get there as quickly as possible!" type contests.
A chance to write a blog, ramble and help newbies? Sign me up! :wub:
Perhaps, if this idea turns into an actual contest or gets otherwise promoted, it would be a good idea to make it take place on Yggdrasil? It may encourage more players to settle there and help the server evolve. (When I checked it today there were 12 merchants in all of Prontera. D:)

I started an acolyte for the noob challenge with Budd. Although I originally intended to go full support, as my main is, I quickly realized that with my tiny sp pool and tiny heals I was better off wielding a mace and clubbing monsters alongside my party. The faster a monster dies, the less damage people take and the less I have to rely on my itty bitty sp pool!
It's very different from what I'm used to, but it's fun! Plus, it keeps that feeling of being an exp parasite away! :wub:

The noob challenge is a great way for you rich, high level veterans to meet and help newbies! And, if you don't care about newbies, to at least relive your own newbie days.

Edit: ._.; I meant Ygg not Ymir. Herp a derp

Edited by Alorien, 02 May 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#29 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:08 AM

Finding leveling and quest guides is something you have to dig for, unfortunately I learned too late which level cut off is for the free skill reset NPC in prontera.

This brings up an interesting point. Can the reset NPC in pront be changed to simply work with any 1st class - non-trans job regardless of base level? or at least change it to say 60 or so, a level at which point you have reached job 50 which I think is quite a bit lower than it used to be (lvl 67ish).

Better yet move the NPC from the prontera pot shop and put him in the Eden grounds, so players might find him before outleveling him. Currently the only people who would use it are veterans since its not really something brought up ingame i think.

Edited by Hrothmund, 02 May 2011 - 01:09 AM.

#30 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

1000 Midgard Score:

"Obtain a Kreiger Von Midgard Weapon"

Would have to be "Obtain 2000 points through participation in Kreiger Von Midgard battlegrounds and obtain your first weapon reward" in order to circumvent people who use kvm badge from lucky box.

#31 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

I would die to do this.

100,000 Midgard Score:

"Complete Okolnir, create Brynhild/Asprika"

10 Midgard Score:

"Reach level 50"

20 Midgard Score:

"Card your first Level 4 Weapon"

1000 Midgard Score:

"Obtain a Kreiger Von Midgard Weapon"

Appropriate scores would have to be set of course.

It would be an easy way to catch bots too

"Obtain 50,000 empty bottles"

"Played over 50 hours without taking a break or being AFK"

#32 Alorien

Alorien

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

There you go. A fun challenge for real players, a great way to catch bots! -_-
What's not to like about this idea? :3

#33 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

If implemented properly, achievements would work really good.

I don't know how the counters for all the different achievements would affec gameplay though.

#34 idreami

idreami

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAround West Prontera Kafra
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:02 PM

loving the noob days pre renewal.. killing monsters and picking everything up and sell it to npc just to make money.. its a nice idea.. if u get around 50k ur happy already coz u can buy pots just to lvl.. you really dont care about the weapons.. when lvling a noob.. all u have to do is invest zeny on pots.. its hard but fun..

its more fun if u played a class u never tried before.. so making a new noob on a diff server diff class u can focus with a diff stat build.. so you will be asking builds and such just to learn on the class youre making.. some people are just lazy to do this kind of challenge..

but its a fun challenge

#35 mooMOOmoo

mooMOOmoo

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

In Guild Wars 1, the level cap is 20 but players go great lengths grinding for achievements. Each type of achievement is mostly independent of each other, although ther
There are very broad range of different archievements.
Players can display one of their titles in towns.

Here's a few examples
-Completion of storyline missions at highest reward level (1 title track per campaign, 3 total)
-Learning all elite skills from a campaign (1 title track per campaign, 3 total)
-PvP (each PvP arena have their own title track)
-Drinking alcohol, eating candies, using party items (3 title tracks that you can buy with gold)
-Number of maxed archivements

Full details:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Title

Edited by mooMOOmoo, 03 May 2011 - 06:03 AM.

#36 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

Sorry to highjack your thread, but damn I think an achievement system would be very interesting. You can even make the points go towards the Costume System so that we can show off your achievements in game via our costumes. Bragging rights + Kawaii Headgear FTW! The Acheivement system can also help new players know what to do.

On the Complete newbie thing:
I am just glad iRO didn't nerf Hunter traps. Leveling fast on kRO sakray to test some stuff is difficult when all you can use is Double Strafe and Arrow Shower. I really like the new Eden Quests kRO implemented though and am also glad I am leveling on the test server where I can buy any gear at the test NPC's.

Starting fresh is quite fun especially if you are playing a new class, it helps you learn the ins and outs of the class much more.

Edit: You can even make fake mvp cards with no effect and use them as rewards cause most of their card art are cool like

Posted Image

Edited by Clogon, 03 May 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#37 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

I don't think you have to play as a newbie to see every glaring problem with the new player experience.

We have a large newbie population on Yggdrasil. Something I have noticed a lot of is new players disallusioned with the fact they are finding rare items which should be an exciting thing, but only to come to pront and discover nobody wants it. This is for cards, four slot weapons, etc., which are rare drops but both worthless to players and worthless to NPCs. That should probably be fixed. -_-

#38 firzen

firzen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

If you do entertain this achievement idea please don't make it overbearing, like everytime a player gets an achievement it pops up on screen and makes a noise.

Maybe make a npc for it at eden that players can check in with.

Otherwise, the game becomes too dwelling on achievements

Loses its feel

#39 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

Just saw the update with the Byalan VIP dungeon and I'd love to try partying as a group of fresh noobs with half assed geas to see how it is there. If anyone wants to join me, I'll probably be going on a lvl 30 something swordie on Valk. You're not required to be geared like a complete noob but it would be cool to grind my way from 30-60/70 in there with a steady group of like minded people. (of course if you REALLY are a new player to this game, just come with whatever you got).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention ODA, how about putting the weapon rental Kafra NPC in the Eden group HQ?? The gear rentals probably don't get used as much as they should and it not only helps newbies, it also creates a revenue stream from the new players as not all of them will know about the kafra shops. (note: the gears there should get some updating).

Edited by MrBudd, 04 May 2011 - 06:16 AM.

#40 SilX

SilX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:44 AM

I think I may want in on this, sounds fun

#41 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention ODA, how about putting the weapon rental Kafra NPC in the Eden group HQ?? The gear rentals probably don't get used as much as they should and it not only helps newbies, it also creates a revenue stream from the new players as not all of them will know about the kafra shops. (note: the gears there should get some updating).

Actually putting the entire kafra shop in the eden group would make more sense so you could access the kafra shop from any major town instead of just payon...

#42 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Just saw the update with the Byalan VIP dungeon and I'd love to try partying as a group of fresh noobs with half assed geas to see how it is there. If anyone wants to join me, I'll probably be going on a lvl 30 something swordie on Valk. You're not required to be geared like a complete noob but it would be cool to grind my way from 30-60/70 in there with a steady group of like minded people. (of course if you REALLY are a new player to this game, just come with whatever you got).

I'll suggest the Eden Group kafra NPCs. That would give us a way of making it less of a trek to get to Kafra items. First though, I think we need to make it clearer to new players how to get to the Eden Group as it seems like most people who are coming back to the game or starting out don't know about it.

I'm looking forward to the VIP dungeon too, it's our hope that people will party up, and get to know the other people running through the map. The 30-70 range for eden group helps with the leveling process, but being able to level in a single location is very appealing.

#43 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

I'll suggest the Eden Group kafra NPCs. That would give us a way of making it less of a trek to get to Kafra items. First though, I think we need to make it clearer to new players how to get to the Eden Group as it seems like most people who are coming back to the game or starting out don't know about it.

You should have it so when you warp to the real world from training grounds, a picture of the npc pops up @ the right and the are like "Hey! I have a great tip for you! If you go to the location I marked on your mini-map you can be sent to the Eden Group Headquarters. There you can get some great quests to help you train, meet other players, or even get some great starter equipment from Instructor Boya!"

#44 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Well this achievement should be put in http://forums.warppo...-achievements/'>RO Achievements at least D

#45 AtlasThunderbeef

AtlasThunderbeef

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

I really hope you don't take out the kafra cash shop npc's when the new GUI comes. It gives us a place to go shop, instead of "going online ingame" to buy mail order kafra items.

#46 Lunalia

Lunalia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

First though, I think we need to make it clearer to new players how to get to the Eden Group as it seems like most people who are coming back to the game or starting out don't know about it.

Simple, force people to talk to an Eden Group NPC in the training grounds when they have to talk to the Kafra, Cool Event Sstaff, and Soldier(aren't they called guides in towns though?) New people don't tend to breeze through the dialogues. Otherwise I don't know how often people talk to the Eden NPC in the training battle field. I suppose to be more clear, state that Eden Paradise can easily be reached from every city/town rather than the all over the world bit?

BTW, Training grounds is buggy. The pumpkin pie is a lie. Bad way to start off the game :/ Sprakki does not give one out despite the pop up at the top and the message in the chat telling me I've obtained one. Please either give out the pie or take out the message.

Is the base level requirement to leave 10 or 11? The NPCs says 10, but I recall a novice complaining about not being able to leave when she was base 10 and she was getting rather frustrated about not leaving.

I've also noticed that dialogue does not start with NPCs after being warped to levels 2/3/4/5 of the training grounds after being warped there unless I relogged.

Edited by Lunalia, 04 May 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#47 futendoji

futendoji

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:34 AM

First, correct, some times training grunds is buggy, but not all times, can tell it since i have done like 20 novices or maybe more since renewal.

Second, too late for me for the nostalgia thread, already have made every single char in ro, most of them at least twice, still not a master in archer clases and swordman clases, but enough to still being able to evolve my crazy builds. Yes, im probably crazy too, i loved to make strange builds pre renewal, and love it more now whit renewal, coz theyre actually usefull, also i tend to make enfacis on the importance of dex now in renewal to the noobs i meet, found out thet the best way to teach them the importance of dex, is telling them to raise it every time they start to do miss 2 of 5 atacks, or earlier, just making sure they keep it at a good point, also i will say this again, training grounds needs npc questions who make the user writte the ansewer instead of chose one of a set of given answers. Don´t make the answers case sensitive like they use to be on other quests, and put some npcs to give hints for the lost players, i know it will botter the veterans, coz we already know the game, and dont like to spend too much time making our noobs, but the write answer for the npcs in training grounds, makes reall noobs to have to read the introduction, and avoids bots, or to increment the anti bot system, instead of write the answer, just keep the test tipe chose the correct answer, but make them shufle positions, so they cant autoanswer it. Alsso i higly sugest that the gm team gets familiarized whit the bot programs out there, at least 1 or 2 of you, so you can get some usefull easy countermeasures, as it says: Keep your friends near, and your enemys nearer.

Im also very interested in the fact of the make your quest npc in the eden group, i thought it was a great adition when i first saw it, but does it really work? Is it interesting for noobs? Do they get exp or just the reward the player who posts the quest wants to give?

For the wealthines of the eden group npc, maybe put theyr location into the guide npcs of the citys, also put some kind of big flag or banner near the npc, telling it is there. Also i loke the implementation on Brasilis of the new quest sistem, making the npcs use emotes when youre near to indicate they have a quest, but i still havent seen this in the older quest npcs.
Also for the old stile feel, i really miss the payon invasion event where the undeads crawled out of payon cave, and everyone was called to go payon and help the village out, maybe make an live the ro story event, duration 1 month, making 1 of the events/event quests who disapered every week?

Also for every noob reading the forums, very important, dont leave training grounds till youre base lvl 12 or close to, it makes your live in ro so much easier, coz you can just switch to the first eden group training. I also cant understand, how the training needs lvl 12 while the firs quest board starts at lvl 11. O and very important for dev team, avoid contradictions in the dialogs of npcs, like the bug of you need to be lvl 10 to leave the training ground, if i remember well it says lvl 10 job, that you obtain when youre about lvl 6 base, people like to get into the real world of the games asap, so you need to get them the feeling they arent ready till they know everithing form the training grounds, also i would sugest to exit the training ground via the eden group, maybe a special training ground eden group map, where you have to register to eden group as your last quest for the training ground, then get the chance to talk to the first job npcs to get warped to the jobchange location, something like it was before, when to finish the training ground mace you had to enter the personality test, but skip the test, i like the actuall sistem of explaining each class and leting the noobs try the skills better, also think its a bit more friendly, but getting them to register the eden group, is a great thing, so they will for sure know the eden group is there and offers some training quests and some other helpfull quests.

Again sry for my big walls of text, and for my probably poor English.

Have fun and enjoy ro, hope we can all share the love for this game ;-)

Edited by futendoji, 05 May 2011 - 06:36 AM.

#48 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

If you ask each NPC in training grounds for a quest and do each quest, you will easily be 12/10 without much time invested.

Edited by Jaye, 05 May 2011 - 07:17 AM.

#49 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

So far ive started a noob mage. lvl 37 atm. This is my first magic class so i have no idea what im doing. If you guys have room in your parties let me know cause i could use the help. My name is "Magic(HowBoutThat)" So far all ive done was eden to get decent gear. ^_^

Edited by CheddarJack, 05 May 2011 - 07:21 AM.

#50 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

I would love to see your groups journal as you are going through Midgard.

How can we help you get together and make your adventuring groups?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users