The Nostalgic Noob Challenge - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

The Nostalgic Noob Challenge

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Maybe I'll see if anyone in Phantasm wants to get in on this.

#52 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Server:Valk

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

I would love to see your groups journal as you are going through Midgard.

How can we help you get together and make your adventuring groups?

Hmmmm maybe throw all of us in a special guild with like ODA's Swordy as the guild leader so that he can see everyone's progress.

#53 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hmmmm maybe throw all of us in a special guild with like ODA's Swordy as the guild leader so that he can see everyone's progress.

That's not a bad idea. I don't mind keeping track of this on Ymir as a beta test type of scenario if Heim approves of the guild idea.

#54 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

isnt ODA's swordy on valk though? hmmm maybe he, heim, and anotehr GM could make one account on a server. ODA watches the ppl on valk, Heim gets ymir, and the other GM would get ygg.

#55 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

I was going to make a guild for this, but I wanted to find an emperium in the wild first. Although for the sake of making this a fun event we can all do, I wouldn't mind having an emperium donated and have the guild extension maxed out by the GMs so I can add others who wanted to do this challenge into it. The game is way more fun when you have a bunch of like minded people grouped up together with a means of communication to support each other. Would be cooler if ODA or Heim made the guild though.

Tried the new VIP dungeon on my new char I did for the noob challenge along with Alorien and two others (one person from my guild that decided to join me) and some random aco that didn't speak much english. I gotta say the exp is great, getting decent amounts of exp on the first two floors of the dungeon. The monster spawn on the first floor seemed pretty spread out though. I know it's normal for that floor to be pretty empty but without really anyone else there, it just seemed like it was completely empty. Floor 2 was a bit better though. Will come back on another low level character with some low level chars from my guild tomorrow to see how it is as a low level person with better gears, but so far it's totally doable with just eden gears, some pots and an aco friend or two.

I do see a short coming though when this hits VIP only next week though. Trying to get in as a new player with VIP trying to find another person with access to get in is hard. Can the party search function be updated to also include a VIP dungeon search option? Additionally, I don't see that function being used that much and do believe it should be actively promoted through an even or something because it's a great feature that's truly under utilized at the moment.

Would it be possible to greatly up the difficulty level of some other low level dungeons that don't get much attention for high level people?? I mean I'd love to see a lvl 100-120 version of Payon dungeon or even bringing back the old high orc map with stronger high orcs so people who only have demi-human gears can level as well.

#56 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:18 AM

Posted Image

Lots of friendly low level people in payon city. Hoping to try out the new dungeon and maybe start a mage while I'm at it. The eden group has kept Ms Demeanor pretty well stocked with gear and pots but the trick to leveling is still finding a good spot to grind. I really like the B> shops you see, a very convenient way for non merchants class characters to make some good money with items found in the course of normal leveling.

Posted Image

#57 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

Aww Oda asked for a heal! <3 I'll heal you, Oda! Even though I kind of can't heal... But yeah!

#58 Hulk

Hulk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

are those in valk? 'coz yesterday i made a novice in ymir i kinda noticed there were alot of novices inside the training grounds. i thought getting my novice to base 10 / job 10 would take me hours to do it. but, i was wrong. just by simply doing one of the quests from the npcs i made it to level 10 in like less than 15 mins. now that im an acolyte im still deciding where's the best place to level. hopefully there are some low levels in ymir who i can party with.

#59 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

You know...all those low level people clumped up are probably bots :P

#60 darkdito1884

darkdito1884

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationAllentown,PA
  • Server:Chaos,Thor

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

Also for every noob reading the forums, very important, dont leave training grounds till youre base lvl 12 or close to, it makes your live in ro so much easier, coz you can just switch to the first eden group training. I also cant understand, how the training needs lvl 12 while the firs quest board starts at lvl 11. O and very important for dev team, avoid contradictions in the dialogs of npcs, like the bug of you need to be lvl 10 to leave the training ground, if i remember well it says lvl 10 job, that you obtain when youre about lvl 6 base, people like to get into the real world of the games asap, so you need to get them the feeling they arent ready till they know everithing form the training grounds, also i would sugest to exit the training ground via the eden group, maybe a special training ground eden group map, where you have to register to eden group as your last quest for the training ground, then get the chance to talk to the first job npcs to get warped to the jobchange location, something like it was before, when to finish the training ground mace you had to enter the personality test, but skip the test, i like the actuall sistem of explaining each class and leting the noobs try the skills better, also think its a bit more friendly, but getting them to register the eden group, is a great thing, so they will for sure know the eden group is there and offers some training quests and some other helpfull quests.

Again sry for my big walls of text, and for my probably poor English.

Have fun and enjoy ro, hope we can all share the love for this game ;-)

to exit the training grounds you must finish all the npc quests .the npc you pick will ask you if you did all the quests from the npc's once you do them all it will warp you /ok

#61 Heart

Heart

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2871 posts
  • LocationSofa so good
  • Server:Classic

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

Posted Image

Lots of friendly low level people in payon city. Hoping to try out the new dungeon and maybe start a mage while I'm at it. The eden group has kept Ms Demeanor pretty well stocked with gear and pots but the trick to leveling is still finding a good spot to grind. I really like the B> shops you see, a very convenient way for non merchants class characters to make some good money with items found in the course of normal leveling.

Posted Image

i saw RUNNUR in the chatbox,proves thtz valk
lol i see this thread as the beginning of the achievement system on RO...
OH AND MR.BUDD , got spare VVS ele fists? i wanna lvl my monk(Heart stealer here) ;)

#62 PhoenixFH

PhoenixFH

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

I do this anyways. I have a level 49/40 Tae Kwon Girl and the only "special" item that I am wearing is the Water Lily Crown. My other equipment consists of: Manteau, Guard, Belt, Coat, and Boots.

It's hard to get money for things like potions and stuff, but if you can get things like cards and such it makes it easier. However, you can always buy tons of Meat as it heals you more then the basic red potion.

When it comes to monsters, ones like creamy become more important as they are relatively easy and drop Butterfly Wings and Honey. The Creamy Card is also useful as it gives you LvL 1 Teleport (good luck getting it though *sighs*).

The one thing that I'll say is fun, is the Eden Monster Quests. I'm glad those were implemented ^-^

I also appreciate the light blue potion box. I don't need to buy it that often but its nice in tough spots when I've used Mild Wind and drained my SP.

#63 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I wonder if ODA will do the guild thing that way we could keep track of everyone...if not Budd have you found an emp yet to use?

#64 RydWolf

RydWolf

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

Hiya!

Thought this'd be a good place to use my first post.

Spotted the thread, read through it and thought it sounded like a good way to re-enter Ragnarok.

Anyways, am I correct in guessing that Yggdrasil is the server of choice for this?

Edited by RydWolf, 09 May 2011 - 05:00 AM.

#65 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hiya!

Spotted the thread, read through it and thought it sounded like a good way to re-enter Ragnarok.

Anyways, am I correct in guessing that Yggdrasil is the server of choice for this?

Any server would be pretty much the same really. It's more of a personal preference.

Just wanted to update the thread a bit on my noobie journey, I actually got to hang out with ODA on my noobie swordie the other day to briefly check out the VIP dungeon. (see the pic here http://www.valkplaye...rie_Open066.jpg ) I still think this is a great dungeon for low level peeps as the exp you gain here is quite nice and you do need some degree of team work to kill off the monsters if you're a low level noob there. Probably is a lot easier for a trans 60+ character but as a 30+ non trans swordie it is a bit of a challenge. Downside so far is finding a random group of people to goto the dungeon seems to be pretty hard. I seem to be relying on friends who are of similar level or going out to some random noobie map or at the Eden group to find a person that wants to go.

On the plus side, I don't know if I mentioned this or not but it turns out that the Swordsman Training Quest (talk to Shurank in the swordsman guild in Izulde) actually sets you up skill wise to get the pre-reqs for bowling bash. Doing the noobie challenge using minimal resources (skill build simulators included) meant that I had to figure out the prereqs I needed by memory or look up the iro website (which I didn't do much of as I do find the iRO website a bit lacking in terms of game information). I actually only realized that I had the pre-reqs for bowling bash after I did the training quest and thought it was a total life saver as I didn't feel like resetting to get the right skills. Thumbs up to Gravity for that!! Although if you're NOT planning to be a knight with bowling bash (ie. you wanted to use Brandish Spear or go Crusader), that NPC is pretty useless. What the game needs is maybe a "mentor" NPC of some sort for new players for the various clases. I mean Shurank at the swordie guild is a great mentor NPC if you wanted to go bowling bash knight, but maybe his dialogue can be tweaked to ask a bunch of questions to see whether the player wants to be a 1h,2h knight with bowling bash, a spear knight with brandish or a crusader build of some sort.

I wonder if ODA will do the guild thing that way we could keep track of everyone...if not Budd have you found an emp yet to use?

Still think it would be cool to get a guild running for this whole thing, but I think Oda is a bit busy to run it. Might be better of run by players with Oda as a senior member of somesort. Either way, I haven't found an emp yet so I'm going to go on a trek to hunt for an emperium cause there's no way I can afford to buy one. (hoping the GMs will just auto grant me full guild extension when it happens)

Edited by MrBudd, 09 May 2011 - 06:31 AM.

#66 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:37 AM

Still think it would be cool to get a guild running for this whole thing, but I think Oda is a bit busy to run it. Might be better of run by players with Oda as a senior member of somesort. Either way, I haven't found an emp yet so I'm going to go on a trek to hunt for an emperium cause there's no way I can afford to buy one. (hoping the GMs will just auto grant me full guild extension when it happens)

Alright if you get this going on valk let me know and ill come find you to add my lvl 40 mage his name is "Magic(HowBoutThat)" if you cant find him you can probly find me on my GX "Cheddar_Jack_2.0". If you want a partner to lvl in the VIP dungeon let me know cause its still not VIP yet so i can use my mage in there.

#67 fong

fong

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1070 posts
  • LocationBehind The Jail
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Can I join? enjoy The Nostalgic. really really noob and reborn today -.- I need u all <3

Posted Image

#68 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

Hiya!

Welcome back! Currently, the Nostalgic Noob Challenge started on valk, if this works well on valk I definitely want to do this on all of the servers to get new players to try them out.

Loving the guild idea, it would be helpful to get together like-leveled people for leveling purposes (though Budd is right I have no time to run one)

I think I'm going to have to create an aco or some kind of support character, we were lucky enough to have a good aco with us last time but having a backup healer would be nice.

#69 CheddarJack

CheddarJack

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1972 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

Well i think it was mentioned before, ODA, but if you cant run the guild let Budd or someone else lead the guild and you can be a senior member or something. I do agree though that if you do do this it you should max the expantion of the guild for us that way we can invite everyone who is involved in this noob challenge

#70 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

I'm thinking that a way of doing as sort of a test pilot program, interested participants post with the following information and get added to the OP of a new thread "RO Achievement/Milestone Megathread" or somesuch, each time a test subject...er participant achieves the milestone they post in the thread with a short description/bloggy entry on how they did it, or how they felt and I add an icon or note under their name in the OP list of players. People can see similarly leveled players they might want to party with who are also doing the challenge, and get their achievements celebrated.

Participant name/level range/class and build/server
Possible Milestones:
-Party with a group of 3+
-Join a guild
-complete Eden group quests
-Get to Second Job
-Get to level 50
-Get to level 70
-Get to 99/70
-Rebirthed
-Tame a pet
-Get 1,000,000 z through vending and NPC selling items
-Mess up stats/skills and get reset (we all make mistakes)
-More suggestions please

This would pretty much be on the honor system, but that's kind of what the whole challenge is all about, not for fame or fortune but for fun!

#71 Trini

Trini

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

I'm liking this idea. its always more fun to play noob character with no assistance from your main character or strong friends/gears. I remember i got like 2 cards in 2 years on my Assassin pre-renewal and then when i made a Swordsman a little before renewal I got like 1 card per day for quite some time. Almost every where i went i got a card. It was interesting how your story can be different with another go at it from scratch.

I doubt i can intentionally mess up my stats though, that will hurt me so bad knowing that i can be better with just some different stats.

#72 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Well, if you don't follow a specific build of some sort, the potential to mess up your stats is there. Technically there's no such thing as it being messed up, it just means you created a hybrid or completely different build no one else has tried.

Working on getting an emperium now. Will grind away trying to find one or make a whackload of cash selling bee stings, cactus needles and blood of wolf's to people.

I'm intentionally leveling this guy at a slow rate to see how any of the changes Gravity implements directly affects the new player experience.

#73 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

I actually just tried the Orc Memorial dungeon the other day with a bunch of others (level range 30-80) and I gotta say it's REALLY fun but also REALLY hard on a bunch of fairly noobie characters. Finishing the instance dungeon SHOULD be a milestone moment as well. Would it be possible to change the deprived orc hero that spawns there to have the same drops as the regular orc hero? It'd make doing the dungeon even more worth it since it's practically impossible to do a group MVP hunt of any sort as most are killed off instantly in the wild by some high level players. Orc Hero is a push over if you're level 100 but REALLY difficult even as a group at lower levels especially with the crazy mobs that spawn in the instance dungeon. I'm pretty sure anyone who has not yet tried this would agree that RO needs more instances like this, cause it's great fun as a group. Would be even cooler if finishing the instance dungeon gave EXP to, it would make a pretty cool quest to do every few days.

#74 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

One thing we really want to get from jRO and kRO is the simple ? Over quest npc heads, a big problem I've noticed getting started is the massive numbers of npcs that are I'n the game. A new player would have a hard time finding exactly who to talk to (the useful but somewhat obscure announcement board I'n the Eden group is a good example).

Navigating the maps can be daunting too, especially when you run out of flywings

#75 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

One thing we really want to get from jRO and kRO is the simple ? Over quest npc heads

Don't we already have this? I know there's one NPC in Geffen for sure that does this, but I'm at work so I can't post a screenie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users