How to lose items in the mail (redux) - Page 3 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

How to lose items in the mail (redux)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

I apologize for the inaccurate statements made in this thread. I didn't take the time to think about what I was writing. I was in a hurry, but the threat of losing the attachment-while-mailing-from-friend-list terrified me that I felt that I needed to respond immediately.

Please disregard my inaccurate statements, I have removed them.

There is no exploit or trick involved in this. It can be done by simply sending messages from the friend list while in storage.

Edited by DrAzzy, 04 May 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#52 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Posted Image

Not gonna lie, sometimes it's hard to find items in this. Especially since it lacks pockets.

#53 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

You didn't go out of your way to do anything except make videos after your screenshots explained the problem. Now if someone sends in a ticket and claims to have lost items, it can be verified by checking to see if they also didn't go out of their way to do it too - and then they can get helped.

I'd hoped the screenshots would've been enough, but after seeing the replies that just mindlessly parroted Heim, I now know that was wishful thinking. I think the videos do a much better job anyway of illustrating how you can lose items without doing anything out of the ordinary.

Like +7 Slotted Sunglasses with a White Lady card on them? I heard they can't hide forever - 2012 is just around the corner -_-

I think it'd be easier to get rid of them by selling to someone else. That way you can have your cake and eat it too.
If you mean to hide them... well, if you could recover items lost this way, I wouldn't be complaining. -_-

And now, here's a bonus video demonstrating item loss using nothing but the mailbox NPC. No storage, no trades, not even the send messages button!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYO8cBFVZQ

#54 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

The sending from friends list is not a system that should be supported, attachments shouldn't just vanish into thin air with your items and magically make their way to recipient...
At the very least an NPC call should be made so the mailbox is opened up and normal Storage limitations take place. The mail is not perfectly implemented, but all I can say right now is the "fix" is not something you guys want as it will make it harder to be out leveling and send stuff and would require the mail from friends to go away.

Yes you could get this to happen without the kafra NPC and/or mailbox NPC being involved.. and that is because it bypasses the normal mailbox system which is stupid as sending from friend list is free and doable anywhere so why even have a send mail feature on the mailbox that cost zeny?

#55 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

I wouldn't be a happy panda if you got rid of the ability to send mail when not near a mail box. That's become very important to me as I like to farm huge amounts of on-field items and my characters are always getting overweight. Whenever I find something my friends might like, I also mail it to them quickly instead of having to trek all the way back to town to find a mail box.

This is really one of the best things about the mail system and made leveling much smoother and more enjoyable, so it would be counter-productive to remove it.

Also, you still have to use the mailbox if you want to recieve your mail, so someone still ends up paying zeny and the mailbox still has it's use.

Edited by Luckywhiterabbit, 05 May 2011 - 12:18 AM.

#56 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:39 AM

They could give into your whining and keep the friend list mailing for the reasons you mentioned...

Or they could force you to use kafra cards to store that stuff which makes them money.

Which will they choose? hmm...

#57 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

The sending from friends list is not a system that should be supported, attachments shouldn't just vanish into thin air with your items and magically make their way to recipient...
At the very least an NPC call should be made so the mailbox is opened up and normal Storage limitations take place. The mail is not perfectly implemented, but all I can say right now is the "fix" is not something you guys want as it will make it harder to be out leveling and send stuff and would require the mail from friends to go away.

Yes you could get this to happen without the kafra NPC and/or mailbox NPC being involved.. and that is because it bypasses the normal mailbox system which is stupid as sending from friend list is free and doable anywhere so why even have a send mail feature on the mailbox that cost zeny?

Heim, the problem would still be there even if you disabled the friend list. Watch the video above your post for an example, the problem is the bug with the mail system removing your weight when you haven't sent the mail; and there isn't a workaround unless you totally disable the mail.

If a proper fix isn't possible (not removing the weight before pressing the send button), maybe you could do something like:

1) When the composing a message form is open, store the character weight in a variable.
2) That variable is reduced only if the send button is pressed
3) Any weight comparison is compared to that variable, not to the character weight.
4) The variable is deleted when closing mail.

#58 Renaldoo

Renaldoo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

There is a reason that mail and storage and trade are not by default allowed to happen at the same time. You are working very hard to glitch yourself out. Stop trying to bypass the game and it will stop doing mean things to your condensed pots.

I never knew these things weren't meant to coincide-- I've been doing them naturally as long as I can remember, without even thinking about it, let alone working very hard to bypass established game boundaries. I didn't even know I was doing such a thing.

Same with the "DS Dancing", canceling out of an animation for quicker recovery is pretty commonplace in games, one of the basic tenets of any fighter-enthusiasts (Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, etc.) I would have never considered it an exploitation unintended within the game's parameters.

#59 Nilami

Nilami

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Well, I have learned a few things from all this:

A: A lot more people on iRO use mail than I had originally thought.

B: The Friends List feature, mailing to friends. When did this happen? I seriously missed out on some useful gameplay information on that one. Don't remember ever reading about it in Training Grounds... Also, one reason I did not understand your original complaint - I was not familiar with the way you were using the system. I'm still traipsing back and forth.

C: Yes, videos help a lot more than screenshots, so I appreciate you posting those. It gave me a lot better idea of the situation - especially the last video you just recently posted.

Considering point A, I am changing my original opinion: I do agree that some kind of reasonable fix should be considered because so many people use the mail system in the same way as renouille does.

This doesn't mean removing the ability to do so, this means working out something with the "disappearing items" issue. I think perhaps the only way would be to make the items default back to storage and show a "Failed to send" message for not completing the mail, as changing anything with the weight calculations for the character would allow possible unintended consequences.

Would something like what Kadnya suggested be possible either?

P.S. My Renewal Rework Skin (thread linked in my sig) has a mostly finished mail system - just trying to figure out the text box area coloring. I would really appreciate some testing by those who use the mail system more frequently than me to let me know if I missed anything else.

Edited by Nilami, 05 May 2011 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users