Why are people so greedy and untrustworthy? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Why are people so greedy and untrustworthy?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Zayik

Zayik

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:10 AM

Ymir - So, I'm leveling in hunterflies on my mage, doing the Eden Quests, and a hunter fly card happened to drop. Well, just my luck, 2 hunterflies spawn in front of me and behind me, so I have to tele. Here's the kicker, a rogue was near me and saw the whole thing. I fly wing back within 3 fly wings, and I go to try and grab it. The rogue had already grabbed it and was proceeding to teleport. Seriously, why the hell are people so god damn greedy. Can't even let a mage have their one minute of glory. You know, its hard enough making zenny as it is for some of us, but then to have some bastard just steal 70+ mil from you.
Sigh, it almost feels like the people I play with are bots. Why is that?

I wish Gms could seriously do something about that. The card was rightfully mine ;)

(After reading what people have to say, I do know that according to RO rules, the card was "fair game". However, just about everyone feels this type of situation is very unfortunate. I'm going to send in a ticket requesting the time limit be increased (the time only the killer can pick up loot) to help prevent further occurrences like this. I wish the best of luck all of you, and unlike some people >_>, I don't believe people are selfish in nature. I think the guys a bot so I'm reporting him, he insta teleport from everything and will not say a word. We'll let gms see ;))

Edited by Zayik, 10 May 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#2 KingOfBabylon

KingOfBabylon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Server:Renewal/Transce

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:25 AM

He probably thought you were a bot and/or abandoned the card.. He isn't required to return it, but did you try asking him for it?

Edited by KingOfBabylon, 10 May 2011 - 12:26 AM.

#3 ensignfluke

ensignfluke

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

Very likely it was a bot, sadly. I had a similar thing happen with a carat card when they were expensive back in the day. Try not to let these kinds of things get to you and just enjoy the game, and if it was a real person, take solace in the knowledge that these kind of people have to resort to being scumbags to get ahead in a game.

#4 An1ma

An1ma

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Server:Sera is OP

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

You should've pot like mad and grabbed it. I mean a 70m+ card is worth a death trying to pick it up.

#5 Trixdee

Trixdee

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1647 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Server:Renewal: Chaos

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:47 AM

Was kind of your loss, you fwinged away from it.

#6 jax5

jax5

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:32 AM

I once leveled an alt and passed upon a character that killed a mob. A card dropped.

I expected him to pick it up, but when he didn't, I stopped, about a half screen away. He was there, a cell from the card, without motion for a good 20 seconds. I didn't understand why he didn't pick it up, but I thought that if he didn't want it, I would pick it up, rather than to let it decay. That's what I did, then.

After picking it up, I paused, and then started to type. I had intended to ask him if he had wanted it, but before I had finished typing it, he had already began what was to be a furious barrage of accusatory and insulting words.

At that point, halfway through his word train, I really did not want to give that card to him. The insult train was not at all appreciated. Anyway, I attempted to do so, in the end. After being unable to place the card in trade window, I deduced that he must either be overweight or already holding 100 items. After talking with him further, I don't think he knew that the latter would prevent additional items from being picked up.

The point in all this, is that if a goal or hope of yours is to recoup that hunterfly card... how beneficial would it be to accuse without proof, to attempt to expose and humiliate? It would seem to me that there would be less chance of having the card returned, not more.

#7 Fibrizzo

Fibrizzo

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1068 posts
  • LocationA Coruña/Galicia/Spain
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:32 AM

When I see a card in the floor I only think: IT'S MINE!!!! Posted Image

Edited by Fibrizzo, 10 May 2011 - 02:32 AM.

#8 kati3

kati3

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationBehind you
  • Server:Classic

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:58 AM

Meh you Tele'd. Was he supposed to let it disappear?

#9 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:06 AM

Yeah. I think...it's a hunter fly card. A year ago I would have waited around long enough to double click a bwing. You probably looked like a bot, or he was a bot. If you killed one hunter fly, you probably could have out potted two. If you had no pots, you could have died and watched him pick it up and screenie him and go from there.

#10 Zayik

Zayik

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:59 AM

How could somebody think a Mage in hunterflies is a bot. It's a Mage in that aggressive area. If I had the pots, which I didn't, I woulda ultra potted through. And in regards to time, it was only a 4-5 seconds at
Most, and items stay on ground a lot longer than that. And I was unable to get name because he teled. I looked for him but I was unable to find him in that tiny dungeon after 10 minutes of looking/leveling. If he wasn't there I would have had plenty of time to kill the hunterflies than pick up card after I had flywinged back.

Edited by Zayik, 10 May 2011 - 04:04 AM.

#11 Zayik

Zayik

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:03 AM

I don't expect the card to be returned. I was just annoyed by the whole matter and wanted to vent. Thanks ro for listening to me XD
Even my previously placed firewall was still up after fly winging back.

#12 morphine

morphine

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1123 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:06 AM

If you teleport away from a card, it is unreasonable to expect others not to pick it up, human or otherwise. Losing a card due to whatever the game throws at you always sucks, but placing the blame on others/wanting GM intervention isn't really applicable in this situation I think. Ah, cheer up. At least you didn't lose a GTB card to a thief bug?

#13 meaning42

meaning42

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationThe coldest depths of Sweden

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:12 AM

Oh yeah, I've lost so many cards to looting monsters...

#14 Jimmyawake

Jimmyawake

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:26 AM

I really wish monsters that looted were as fast as players in picking up items. A great example is a zenorc that doesnt use the greed skill but picks at least 5 items in .0001seconds. Specially now that we dont have spammable skills and 3 second skill delays. By the time i go to kill a monster half of the loot that was on the ground is already gone. Dissapeared into that monster stomach or where ever that loot disappears in that monsters orafice.

#15 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Server:chaos>ymir>chaos

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:55 AM

I saw you talk about it in Geffen. All i could think was: "twas probably a bot that picked it up, or if you were lucky a popo"

Either way, shame you lost your card that way ;)

#16 DarkDan

DarkDan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1280 posts
  • Server:Valk

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:40 AM

I have been in hardcore leveling mode and will flywing around after I kill a mob. I have hit the flywing button with a card on the ground. Sucks so bad. I don't care what card it is. Its just so rare to see them drop.

I kind of agree with the people that say that when you flywinged away from the card it was free game at that point. Sucks but nobody will watch somebody flywing away from a card and not go pick it up. It would of been nice of the rogue if he or she helped kill the mob on you but people are too scared of getting reported for kill stealing as well. Who's to say you weren't going to take out those extra hunter flys.

#17 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

Ymir - So, I'm leveling in hunerflies on my mage, doing the Eden Quests, and a hunter fly card happened to drop. Well, just my luck, 2 hunterflies spawn in front of me and behind me, so I have to tele. Here's the kicker, a rogue was near me and saw the whole thing. I fly wing back within 3 fly wings, and I go to try and grab it. The rogue had already grabbed it and was proceeding to teleport. Seriously, why the hell are people so god damn greedy. Can't even let a mage have their one minute of glory. You know, its hard enough making zenny as it is for some of us, but then to have some bastard just steal 70+ mil from you.
Sigh, it almost feels like the people I play with are bots. Why is that?

I wish Gms could seriously do something about that. The card was rightfully mine ;)

See that's where you are wrong. Like it or not you gave up all loot rights when you teleported away.

Does that mean the rogue should have gotten the card... maybe, he did kill the other flies that "made you teleport". If he hadn't you most likely would not have gotten the card in time anyways since you couldn't take on 2 flies at once... obviously. Should he have offered the card back when he saw you tele back in? I don't know, like I said he did more work to pick up that card than you did since he killed 2 flies.

#18 Joes

Joes

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

what if the card you got was someone elses? ;)

#19 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

what if the card you got was someone elses? ;)

If you mean that maybe someone else was going to kill the fly that dropped the card ahead of him but died just before killing it or similar,
no
the drops are calculated upon death of monsters not upon their spawn,
ie, if you would have killed some monster a second later than you actually did, you may or may not have gotten different drops.

Edited by Charon, 10 May 2011 - 07:57 AM.

#20 Zayik

Zayik

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

You know, I guess the question is are they to blame. The fact that they took the card, teleported, and couldn't be found in the dungeon after that says something. And who says flywinging makes you lose all rights to the card? I was back within 4 seconds, and I know this because one of my previously casted firewalls was still up. Its not hard to firewall+firebolt a hfly from one direction.

Honestly, I think the time gap between when something drops and when it can be picked up by anyone needs to be increased. Its quite frankly too short. The card was down maybe 5-6 seconds at most, which, in other situations, someone may have been busy fending off other monsters. Does that mean its fair game to everyone else?

Edited by Zayik, 10 May 2011 - 08:14 AM.

#21 meaning42

meaning42

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationThe coldest depths of Sweden

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

You know, I guess the question is are they to blame. The fact that they took the card, teleported, and couldn't be found in the dungeon after that says something. And who says flywinging makes you lose all rights to the card? I was back within 4 seconds, and I know this because one of my previously casted firewalls was still up. Its not hard to firewall+firebolt a hfly from one direction.

Honestly, I think the time gap between when something drops and when it can be picked up by anyone needs to be increased. Its quite frankly too short. The card was down maybe 5-6 seconds at most, which, in other situations, someone may have been busy fending off other monsters. Does that mean its fair game to everyone else?

I can agree that the time the loot is restricted to the killer is too short, sometimes when I am hunting Hunter Flys in Gef dungeon on Valk, monster after monster will spawn on me, while I am busy killing them some bot will come and start looting my items.

But as this topic as a whole, you lose the rights when you tele away, he did the right thing, I would do the same and so would you. You know you would, humans are selfish in nature.

#22 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

give it a couple weeks. seems the only thing people realize to xfer from valk is quad hf daggers even tho there are better things to make the quick buck on ymir, that card price will drop quick

Edited by Andini, 10 May 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#23 heyxsean

heyxsean

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Screenshot or it didn't happen.

#24 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:36 AM

You should level on monsters you can tank so that stuff like this doesn't happen. Other solutions include:

1) pots so you can temporarily tank in an emergency like this
2) greed scroll
3) bring a friend

#25 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

humans are selfish in nature.

they arent selfish by nature,
they are only selfish when there is scarcity - if there is enough of something they are not selfish.

if it was raining gold for months, at first people would shove it in their houses, but after a few days they'd start shoving it back out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users