Hit level 85. Feels like I hit a brick wall. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Hit level 85. Feels like I hit a brick wall.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hey all, I just got lv 85 on my monk and it feels like I just hit a major brick wall in terms of level speed, Seems no matter what I kill the exp sucks (and I am a vip god help ones who aren't). Any tips? I don't even wanna think how bad it'll be as a trans char. costs about 19-20 mil more exp to hit 99 as trans than non-trans.

Edited by Siveria, 11 May 2011 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Theoretical

Theoretical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
  • Server:25-Life

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Well. You are at an akward level, sadly that happens alot now because of the exp nerf based on level. The best bet as a monk is to get decent dex, agi,str and maybe a few points of int and spam raging thrust to level. On monsters that dont aggro you, you can get in two hits before they even realize what your doing. Goodluck! Also, im anticipating a new dungeon for levels 75-100 Being that the waterlook dungeon was added and that dungeon is good exp for its level range....and it looks like they threw together that dungeon in a few hours before a maintenance. Grind through the rough, and get ready for more rough. At least you get fun skills later on ! Thats what keeps me going!

#3 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Is this due to you not having eden group quests anymore? Or is the brick wall felt by you, and you only monster mash and not quest?

#4 Zayik

Zayik

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

I would like to see more eden quest up till 99. It's not gamebreaking and its a nice thing. I've actually gotten myself into a few parties because of the eden quests. Although, I'm too high now. I did notice that leveling was a lot slower with parties. I still think the party benefits need to be increased. It felt like leaching, rather than an actualy party for experience.

#5 yarumasi

yarumasi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, after 85 it's a miserable grind fest. You can do every storyline quest and get a couple levels, at best. But, don't let that discourage you (yet). Heimdallr said they are changing the exp nerf for killing lower / higher monsters and the exp table so, hopefully that is true, then you can kill things that are more comfortable for you (and somewhat mob-able). And yes Heim, not having Eden quests after 85 made me question why exactly that is so.

#6 Sunikis

Sunikis

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

Don't rush
Don't think about exp
Have something secondary to do (Talk to friends/guild/watch tv/etc)
Avoid Turn ins (Your Choice, but I usually stay away from it)

I usually avoid turn in quest for one reason as it digs in my motivation for training once you have nothing to turn in. Just my opinion on training and works for me here :). You can do without Turn ins. Stable is best. Slower but what rush are you in..?

#7 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

what were you killing up to 85? the exp per level increase is pretty linear from 1 up till about 110 or so, so there shouldnt be any "walls" until then (even then its pretty minor).

depending on your gear i would suggest dark priests http://db.irowiki.or...ster-info/1198/

they're demon, so as a monk you can stack a LOT of reduction vs them with holy robe, shield from hell, dullihan eye etc. They have the highest base exp pre-99. I'd recommend a bathory armor > holy robe though unless you have one slotted. That negates their only strong attack.

#8 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Do the mothers day quest and seal quest 2. Might want to use a battle manual for seal 2.

#9 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

what were you killing up to 85? the exp per level increase is pretty linear from 1 up till about 110 or so, so there shouldnt be any "walls" until then (even then its pretty minor).

depending on your gear i would suggest dark priests http://db.irowiki.or...ster-info/1198/

they're demon, so as a monk you can stack a LOT of reduction vs them with holy robe, shield from hell, dullihan eye etc. They have the highest base exp pre-99. I'd recommend a bathory armor > holy robe though unless you have one slotted. That negates their only strong attack.

I'm actually leveling on those, they can't land hits on me unless I have 3 or 4 on me at once at lv 89. 0.5% per or so. I use undershirt+pantie combo with a whisper card in it, Snake head hat for 25% chance to double attack with any weapon, a glove, a ring, Robo eyes, Sohee shoes.. and the eden mace.

#10 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

oh yeah definitely do god seal quest 2 if its open. thats like 2-3 levels right there, more if you use manuals. Just read up on the quest first and use manual towards end when exp chunks start getting paid out.

#11 Snewt

Snewt

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

When I hit 85 on my new char yesterday, I felt the same way. I went to Dark Priests, but unfortunately, this felt slow as well (and they kinda hurt)!

#12 kati3

kati3

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationBehind you
  • Server:Classic

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

Try going to turtle island.

Btw if you feel its slow now idk what you will do once you are a third class character.

#13 LordVader

LordVader

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Btw if you feel its slow now idk what you will do once you are a third class character.

101 and quit.

Half a percent per kill isn't slow. With a HE BM that's just 100 kills for a level. Doesn't sound like a wall, just lazy.

#14 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

Turned 23 and it feels like I hit a brick wall
Don't know where I'm going with my life at all
Have no one but myself to blame
Strung out and high on this cocaine
My life is all hindsight, even at this early age
Guess I should just reroll and make a sage

#15 Channa

Channa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationOn, Canada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:59 AM

85, isn't too hard. I had picked up my monk again not long ago around lvl 88ish. only took me 2 days to 99 her. it's a matter of finding something you can decently level off of without consuming too many supplies and that is within the 10 to 15 levels higher than you.

Are you a combo build? Try going to stapos. Good xp, easy enough to kill. From stapos I had gone to ID1 and kills siromas, and then from there to magmarings.

Hope that helps some.

#16 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:13 AM

kRO has eden quests for up to 110 at the moment (Malangdo update I think?)

But what I think is annoying with eden quests like they are, is that the numebrs are sooo low.
Sometimes half the time is spent on getting to the location and back to the right NPC.

Would be really nice if the numbers were at least double if theres no way you could make them 4x.

Regarding brick wall, eh... trust me the grind only really starts when you're getting upwards from 105.

It really depends on what class you're playing tho. Something like a bolter sage is a pain in the arse to get to job 70.

I don't think it's too tough (you aren't supposed to hit max level in 2 weeks or something), it's just that it's so boring and lonely to grind without a party system thats worth using on a common basis.

Edited by Charon, 12 May 2011 - 05:14 AM.

#17 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

Leveling from 85+ isn't hard you just gotta know what to kill. Yes its a grind fest but its not that bad. Check out the melee leveling guide I wrote up for my guildies at my guild site at http://www.valkplayersguild.com under renewal info.

#18 Shinjin6

Shinjin6

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

You can't complain about 0.5% a monster. That's really good XP.

#19 ensignfluke

ensignfluke

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Do the mothers day quest and seal quest 2. Might want to use a battle manual for seal 2.

You can also do seal 2 as many times as you want, as long as it's open and you feel like spending money.

#20 HRdevil

HRdevil

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • LocationMassachusets
  • Server:IRO Valkyrie

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

If you played pre-renewal then Lv.85 would be fastest exp ever compared to renewal.

#21 Nilami

Nilami

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

If you played pre-renewal then Lv.85 would be fastest exp ever compared to renewal.

This is true.

I used a Nemesis mace most frequently for GH, especially Dark Priests. It's a "grind" in the most MILD sense of the word (considering pre-renewal), so you'll find me running around to the different islands or dungeons in iRO trying monsters that are 'exactly' 10 levels above me just to see if it's an improvement or to do something different, then running back to Dark Priests crying for the stability of their exp earning.

Point in case here: I'm leveling in Anolians right now because I'm 94 trans, but tried Kobolds because they supposedly will give me better exp boost with the scale. However, it was a pain to kill them, and they gave less exp overall than Anolians did, even with killing them fast. Back to Anolians I ran!

If you can kill fast and handle that much of a mob in Dark Priests before you get overwhelmed, it sounds like you are in the right place overall. I would suggest using the Eden Buffs as a timer. 30 minutes of DP killing, back to town for a break of shopping/selling/window browsing/whatever, talk to some friends or randomly help a newbie/returner, then redo buffs and get back to DP.

Have to put some variety in your day on purpose, it isn't going to happen on its own.

Note: I skipped Eden stuff/turn-ins completely after the very early levels. It was monotony compared to more interesting story lines on world quests available everywhere else. Just wish the exp was better on the other quests out there. But it kills time a lot more pleasantly!

Edited by Nilami, 12 May 2011 - 09:36 AM.

#22 Pooru

Pooru

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Locationsouthern california

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

irowiki storyline quests go!

#23 Pylfer

Pylfer

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

This is true.

I used a Nemesis mace most frequently for GH, especially Dark Priests. It's a "grind" in the most MILD sense of the word (considering pre-renewal), so you'll find me running around to the different islands or dungeons in iRO trying monsters that are 'exactly' 10 levels above me just to see if it's an improvement or to do something different, then running back to Dark Priests crying for the stability of their exp earning.

Point in case here: I'm leveling in Anolians right now because I'm 94 trans, but tried Kobolds because they supposedly will give me better exp boost with the scale. However, it was a pain to kill them, and they gave less exp overall than Anolians did, even with killing them fast. Back to Anolians I ran!

If you can kill fast and handle that much of a mob in Dark Priests before you get overwhelmed, it sounds like you are in the right place overall. I would suggest using the Eden Buffs as a timer. 30 minutes of DP killing, back to town for a break of shopping/selling/window browsing/whatever, talk to some friends or randomly help a newbie/returner, then redo buffs and get back to DP.

Have to put some variety in your day on purpose, it isn't going to happen on its own.

Note: I skipped Eden stuff/turn-ins completely after the very early levels. It was monotony compared to more interesting story lines on world quests available everywhere else. Just wish the exp was better on the other quests out there. But it kills time a lot more pleasantly!

Grinding those Eden quests up to about 26 or so takes about 10 minutes. That's about where I dropped off of them too... What's the deal with the second tier Eden quests? sooooo slow. I leveled to the third tier probably faster by just grinding than having spent the time turning in 10 footskins and 5 animal fur over and over and over again.

Still, DPs are probably the best for a fair amount of classes. I see Saders/Pallies (ie. me), Blacksmiths, Priests, Knights of all kind, Alchemists, Monks, Hunters, Rogues, Assassins, you name it, it's in there. The only problem with with DPs anymore is just how crowded they are. All those classes leveling there makes it a pain sometimes. It's great EXP though, I got about 75% (from 91 [50%] to 92 [27%]) in one HEBM which is 15 minutes.

Regardless, do the mothers day quest before it ends(most of the stuff is super easy to get) and grab a HEBM or a BMX3 if you have the money. Pre-Trans, at around lv90, you'll prolly hit 95 (2750000 exp in total on a HEBM from beginning to end [96 with a BMX3 [5500000 exp]) which will make your life much much easier. The Sign quest gives a fair amount of XP as well (that is if you can still do it/have the patience to do it).

In all, you'll probably be spending most of your time in and around DPs just because of how easy it is to down them and especially because of the exp/hour.

Edited by Pylfer, 12 May 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#24 Trini

Trini

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

Let me tell you something that might change your view.

Before renewal it used to take good players AN HOUR just to get 3% from around level 96 to 99.
And that was leveling at the best spot with real speed and ignoring loot and fly winging all over the place. Anubis was the place to be, or Titans if you could manage, or Moscovia if you still preferred money.

It is still like this "3% per hour" rate for 146 to 150 for most i believe but I am pretty sure you don't get 3% per hour regardless of how well you hunt. So just keep grinding and stay focused.

I've not played monk so i cant help you much on leveling spots but i can offer this post which is what i remember when i feel like i hit a brick wall. I also put on some Music and view th mini-view of the exp "Alt+V" so i can see the numbers on base exp and feel like i am at least maintaining a fairly constant speed. Music takes your mind off the grind.

#25 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, but pre-renewal, I could job change a character easily in a day by killing high orcs right after changing to first class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users