Want to know why people bot? - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Want to know why people bot?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

Wanna know why alot of people seem to bot? even on the vip server I bet 80% of them bot too. Its because the game is a major grindfest, and the combat to be honest is boring as hell compared to most mmorpg's, Not to mention loot doesn't sell for much so the only way to make money is to monotnoiously farm the same mob for drops to sell to players. In a way I don't blame them for botting one bit, and neigher should anyone else really. its not like the thing needed to do it is hard to find. I play on Valk and honestly the bots don't bug me, I use them as port-a-tanks on my mage and archer, they not there so they won't care. I've played long enough that I can tell a bot by how it walks and how it loots. I doubt anyone really has gotten to 150 legit without botting at least some of it.

IMO since they going to do it anyway, might as well make it legal, saves the gm's time helping people with real issues insted of wasting time hunting bots that will just get remade right away anyway.

People will blame rmt for the ecnomy but think of it this way.. who orignally prices the items high? thats right the playerbase, so in essense the over pricing of items is really our fault and has little to do with rmt and bots.

#2 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

If you don't like grinding, then go play another game? @@

Some people like grinding games. Ragnarok has always been a grind, pre-renewal it was just a lot more fun.

A very small group of actual players bot. For the most part they are people in China or what not grinding things to sell for real-life money.

The players set the prices via supply and demand. If people are willing to buy things, then they'll go up in price. No one person sets a price on items.

Edited by Ralis, 12 May 2011 - 05:14 PM.

#3 iCandy

iCandy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole, beside Santa's House

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

I can say that yes, this is a major grindfest and i cant blame them for doing such. however if we only we can have this fixed, probably lesser to no bots will roam around.
lets take Guild Wars(game) for example. when i played it, i found out that the main way for leveling is by doing quests and RO failed on this part.
on the farming/item hunting side, grinding in RO is ok for me but it could be better if we can access more items for leveling using quests. because it somewhat shows that you worked hard for your items.

I disagree with you in making botting legal. the essence of the game is to have fun and have a "fair" play to all.
so, do you think that leveling up and gaining items and zeny while sleeping is a fair game?

Bot: NO!
Quests till 150: YES!

Edited by iCandy, 12 May 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#4 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

Lawl.

#5 brokenguy

brokenguy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

... no comment.

#6 Kirameki

Kirameki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

Preren was a grindfest, honestly, i don't know why people are complaining, the exp is fine.
Why is everyone whining about slow exp? because most of them come from high rate private servers.
Well, either go back there or suck it up, we're already getting rediculous amounts of exp events and turn in events.

#7 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Its not that I mind the grinding its just boring, and to you saying only a small percent of actual players bot.. thats way off, more like 80% do, I have seen tons of people on Ymir and valk that I have talked to in town, then I have caught the same people most of the time botting later on when I ran into them, while leveling. The prices are so high on most items you really have to rmt to buy anything unless you wanna spend weeks to earn the money. Cards IMO need to have their drop rate upped signifigantly as well. Read in another thread of a hunter fly card going for 70 million on a server think it was ymir or yggdrasil, which is kinda obscene for a card. MVP card yeah, but not a card from a random mob you can find all over.

#8 KingOfBabylon

KingOfBabylon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Server:Renewal/Transce

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Troll

#9 NeoRaguto

NeoRaguto

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

It's the HUUUUGE amount of Zeny coming into the game every day which is from RMT and Bots therefore the economy is inflated, it's not just 'it's the players pricing items higher'

It's like this more ZENY is coming into the game than is leaving, which in fact almost every MMO to date has balance problems with since they can't grasp that they need to balance ways for their currency to come in and to leave.

which bots do not help this problem at all.

Edited by NeoRaguto, 12 May 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#10 OgamiItto

OgamiItto

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada
  • Server:Ymir, ,Valkyrie, Classic

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

Read in another thread of a hunter fly card going for 70 million on a server think it was ymir or yggdrasil, which is kinda obscene for a card. MVP card yeah, but not a card from a random mob you can find all over.

They're currently going for about that on Ymir, but that's a significant reduction...they were 95 million a coupla weeks ago.

#11 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

It's the HUUUUGE amount of Zeny coming into the game every day which is from RMT and Bots therefore the economy is inflated, it's not just 'it's the players pricing items higher'

It's like this more ZENY is coming into the game than is leaving, which in fact almost every MMO to date has balance problems with since they can't grasp that they need to balance ways for their currency to come in and to leave.

which bots do not help this problem at all.

Actually this is not true. Most Botters farm things to sell to other players, so that money was already in the economy in the first place.

#12 Akin

Akin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

IMO since they going to do it anyway, might as well make it legal, saves the gm's time helping people with real issues insted of wasting time hunting bots that will just get remade right away anyway.

^Botter looking for a way to make it legal.

#13 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

^Botter looking for a way to make it legal.

Not really. I don't bot myself, But I am sure lots of others do, its the only way to get anywhere item wise in this game with the current economy :o. The ONLY reason there are less bots on Ymir, is because you have to get vip once to get on that server, good way to keep them out thought but bad for server growth.

Edited by Siveria, 12 May 2011 - 07:18 PM.

#14 Girdid

Girdid

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

Actually this is not true. Most Botters farm things to sell to other players, so that money was already in the economy in the first place.

Botters can also make a moderate amount of money from Misc items in their areas and just sell them to NPCs.

#15 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

the fact still stands that botting defies the purpose of playing the game. You are supposed to grind away at a goal no matter how tedious that is. Some of us actually enjoy that to an extent. It's a kind of masochism that's often lost to spoiled, modern, western rpg players.

I'm not saying the grind is all good. It needs a bit of work in some places because there are some severe problems with supply and demand. (see: prickly fruits) but botting is just lazy and dishonorable.

I have a lv 130 character and I've never botted once, and I feel rightfully smug about it. |3

#16 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

I can understand how OP feels, as many times I have felt the same way too. I'm not sure if truly everyone else in this thread has never felt like "ok, botting is illegal, but I see bots to my left and to my right who are leveling faster than me and will probably be 150ish soon and kill me next woe. But if I bot my chara, I might be the one bot they catch once in a blue moon. I don't want to bot, but if I don't bot I'm at a clear disadvantage against a large potion of the other players".

Basically, having a no bot rule, yet not enforcing it equally, surely promotes more people botting. And slow, mechanic, mindnubbing leveling like in renewal surely promotes botting. Renewal leveling is like, 'play the most botlike you can without actually being a bot'.

Quoting the wisest post from the thread:

I can say that yes, this is a major grindfest and i cant blame them for doing such. however if we only we can have this fixed, probably lesser to no bots will roam around.
lets take Guild Wars(game) for example. when i played it, i found out that the main way for leveling is by doing quests and RO failed on this part.
on the farming/item hunting side, grinding in RO is ok for me but it could be better if we can access more items for leveling using quests. because it somewhat shows that you worked hard for your items.

I disagree with you in making botting legal. the essence of the game is to have fun and have a "fair" play to all.
so, do you think that leveling up and gaining items and zeny while sleeping is a fair game?

Bot: NO!
Quests till 150: YES!

#17 NeoRaguto

NeoRaguto

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

Wrong Ralis and I don't need to explain why you should already know.

#18 Psychogenik

Psychogenik

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

People have lives and if you read the rules it says if you're VIP you can bot.

#19 iCandy

iCandy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole, beside Santa's House

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

thanks kad.

I hope this suggestion will lesen bots:
http://forums.warppo...dungeon-revamp/

#20 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

Botters can also make a moderate amount of money from Misc items in their areas and just sell them to NPCs.

This is true, though from what I've observed some bots just leave items that don't have much use / don't sell for much.

#21 kati3

kati3

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

Wanna know why alot of people seem to bot? even on the vip server I bet 80% of them bot too. Its because the game is a major grindfest, and the combat to be honest is boring as hell compared to most mmorpg's, Not to mention loot doesn't sell for much so the only way to make money is to monotnoiously farm the same mob for drops to sell to players.

Where'd you get that percentage from? Grinding might be boring but you should really party up and do things like ET or hunt MVP's that aren't that easy to kill.
Loot seems not to sell for much because bots reduce their worth by bringing a ton of those items into the market.

In a way I don't blame them for botting one bit, and neigher should anyone else really. its not like the thing needed to do it is hard to find. I play on Valk and honestly the bots don't bug me, I use them as port-a-tanks on my mage and archer, they not there so they won't care. I've played long enough that I can tell a bot by how it walks and how it loots. I doubt anyone really has gotten to 150 legit without botting at least some of it.

You don't blame them for botting because they cant play? Whats the use of playing a game if you aren't going to play at all and let the computer do your leveling? So you imply that all 150's are/have been botters. /sigh

So, what are the real issues? Battle grounds? Quest upgrades? Party system? Why would you care, since you would bot the entire way. These things hold no meaning for bots. Oh don't tell me you will actually login once in a while to play?

People will blame rmt for the ecnomy but think of it this way.. who orignally prices the items high? thats right the playerbase, so in essense the over pricing of items is really our fault and has little to do with rmt and bots.

You don't understand economy it would be best to not talk about it.

And to talk about people who bot to high levels? You dont know the fun of killing them with your low level characters in pvp or woe or even catching them botting and reporting them.

#22 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

Problem with partying is the exp is crap and even with their so called "improvements" coming soon its still not enough to make it worthwhile. Need like a 80% split for 2 people, bascally each extra person adds 60% exp that drops so it ends up being 50% total for each person in a 12 person party. I'd love to party but the amount it slows leveling makes it not worth it.

#23 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

If every ones BOT. What the Point of Joining this GAME? IF BOT are allow they wont be anymore partying or player interaction in the game...~_~ n who wanna play an Online game that are full with Mindless Zombies.... U might as well Ask Gravity to sell Instant Scroll to LV 99 or 150..

Even Privater server don't allow BOT.

Edited by Dukeares, 12 May 2011 - 10:05 PM.

#24 Anko

Anko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

Wanna know why alot of people seem to bot? even on the vip server I bet 80% of them bot too. Its because the game is a major grindfest, and the combat to be honest is boring as hell compared to most mmorpg's, Not to mention loot doesn't sell for much so the only way to make money is to monotnoiously farm the same mob for drops to sell to players. In a way I don't blame them for botting one bit, and neigher should anyone else really. its not like the thing needed to do it is hard to find. I play on Valk and honestly the bots don't bug me, I use them as port-a-tanks on my mage and archer, they not there so they won't care. I've played long enough that I can tell a bot by how it walks and how it loots. I doubt anyone really has gotten to 150 legit without botting at least some of it.

Ppl bot cos they are lazy and because they can. Loot doesn't sell for much due to oversupply by bots on valk as well as the kafra shop.

Many ppl have gotten 150 without botting. It does take some effort to get 150 but honestly if you are complaining about grind at 85 that is a little premature...

#25 Kimmy

Kimmy

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationIn the kitchen.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

80% of people on Ymir bot? Where did you get that impressive number?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users