Want to know why people bot? - Page 2 - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Want to know why people bot?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Tsurugi

Tsurugi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationHampton,VA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Newsflash: A majority of Korean MMO's are a Grindfest.

#27 Kirameki

Kirameki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

80% of people on Ymir bot? Where did you get that impressive number?

His ass.

#28 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

There is nothing substantiated in the original post at all. Not a single real reason to legalize botting.

That 80% number is grotesquely wrong; majority of players do not bot. A minority does. I don't know the real percents as I have not surveyed every player on this game, but I know about 1 acquaintence who has dabbled in botting for every 8 or so people I know. That is closer to 15% which is FARRRRR from 80%.

OK So your first point is the game is boring. Its boring so you use a bot to not play it. To what end? If it's boring why are you even bothering? Obviously RO isn't your cup of tea. Find another game. This is a retarded philosophy.

You have trouble making money so you shouldn't have to earn it? What? I can make 2m/hr++ zeny doing magma and that's great EXP. Where are you leveling? Porings?

You obviously are ignorant of this game and unskilled if you think people cannot get to 150 without botting. People use events, EXP manuals/VIP bonus, royal guard leeching, MVP exp, prize medals, etc., to catapult their characters to 120+ then use their powerful new AoE skills to mob monsters like Abyss Lake or later Bio2 and level quickly.

Essentially what you are saying is like a parallel to a highschool dropout that is working a minimum wage job and decides he should be allowed to print money in his basement because he can't afford the car and house he wants. You want nice things without working for them because its too hard. And you want to have what hard-working people have without doing any of the work.

#29 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:29 AM

To the OP : Have you tried a different class? ;p Some characters do feel that way and some are more fun, it all depends on your personal preferences.

#30 Kolmogorov

Kolmogorov

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:06 AM

Ahh 80% of Ymir players are bot? This # is suppose to be for Val man.

Edited by Kolmogorov, 13 May 2011 - 06:07 AM.

#31 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

I don't think the OP is implying "I want bots to be legal". It is morelike: if you have a rule against botting, enforce that rule so indeed there are no people botting.

Competing in game against other players is fine, and making zeny in the game is fine. Everyone is on an even playing field.
Competing in a game with bots however, is at the best too hard.

I don't feel that a real player would feel fine starting, going to any field and having the company of 20+ automated charas in the same map. On valkyrie, you meet training grounds full of bots, starting maps full of bots, and as you move on, you may still see bots. I remember reporting bots and seeing them still in the same place weeks after, still botting. Maybe things have changed, but I never felt like reporting a bot after seeing no action taken back then.

I wouldn't blame a player surrounded by bots, reporting and seeing nothing done, trying to make money and seeing bots hunting the same as him/her but en-masse, and later watching those player-bots be maybe second or third class while he or she might still be learning the game and first class still, feeling frustrated.

It's really simple. If there was few or no reason to bot, and the occasional bots that existed were banned, not even zeny sellers would bot this game. Hopefully someday we can see a more effective way to deal with bots so they don't frustrate real players to the point of them wanting to bot too, or just leave the game.

I don't have statistics neither, but I would say that some of the reasons why RO doesn't keep many of the players who try the game, are a sharing their leveling area with dozens of bots, looking at players shops with high prices thanks to a bot-inflated economy, and maybe then, the lack of clear objectives of what to do after leaving training grounds. Like: "ok, I got to kill monsters to slowly level, but what for?"

#32 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:21 AM

I don't think the OP is implying "I want bots to be legal". It is morelike: if you have a rule against botting, enforce that rule so indeed there are no people botting.

Competing in game against other players is fine, and making zeny in the game is fine. Everyone is on an even playing field.
Competing in a game with bots however, is at the best too hard.

I don't feel that a real player would feel fine starting, going to any field and having the company of 20+ automated charas in the same map. On valkyrie, you meet training grounds full of bots, starting maps full of bots, and as you move on, you may still see bots. I remember reporting bots and seeing them still in the same place weeks after, still botting. Maybe things have changed, but I never felt like reporting a bot after seeing no action taken back then.

I wouldn't blame a player surrounded by bots, reporting and seeing nothing done, trying to make money and seeing bots hunting the same as him/her but en-masse, and later watching those player-bots be maybe second or third class while he or she might still be learning the game and first class still, feeling frustrated.

It's really simple. If there was few or no reason to bot, and the occasional bots that existed were banned, not even zeny sellers would bot this game. Hopefully someday we can see a more effective way to deal with bots so they don't frustrate real players to the point of them wanting to bot too, or just leave the game.

I don't have statistics neither, but I would say that some of the reasons why RO doesn't keep many of the players who try the game, are a sharing their leveling area with dozens of bots, looking at players shops with high prices thanks to a bot-inflated economy, and maybe then, the lack of clear objectives of what to do after leaving training grounds. Like: "ok, I got to kill monsters to slowly level, but what for?"

Yeah, I don't want botting to me made legal, but as it is how the no-botting rule is bascally never enforced they might as well make it legal, it won't be a real diffrence with how it is now, least on valk. on Ymir I bet more than a few would take up botting if it was made legal don't think too highly of yourselves now XD.

#33 arsn89

arsn89

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • LocationMassfag

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:28 AM

The thing is bots keep those prices lower sad to say. They're like undocumented workers, they do the job that no one wants to do, for little money, and therefor the items sell for cheap. Go to your local grocery, you think those produces and meats are expensive now? Well guess how much they would be if we didn't have illegal Mexicans working in the fields/meat packaging etc. Now the government does do some job deporting these workers back so they can make the public "happy", but do you seriously think they're not gonna turn a blind eye for most of it? We turn a blind eye on purpose because we know that their cheap labor gives us relatively cheap food.

It is the same way in RO. Without bots, the shop would look even less beginner friendly to new players. The GMs clearly know this, hence why you see the same hunting bots weeks in and weeks out. They do ban bots, but the ones that don't really effect us, the people who do it for leveling purposes.

Now I'm not trying to justify botting, I just the system needs to be reworked where it doesn't force bots to be needed.

#34 yarumasi

yarumasi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:09 AM

Not really. I don't bot myself, But I am sure lots of others do, its the only way to get anywhere item wise in this game with the current economy :o. The ONLY reason there are less bots on Ymir, is because you have to get vip once to get on that server, good way to keep them out thought but bad for server growth.

Cool story

#35 Nilami

Nilami

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

Let's put out a few thoughts here:

1. We know Gravity iRO has reduced the amount of in-game GMs, employees of their company, that might be available to respond to bot complaints. They also respond to account issues, missing items, broken quests, community issues, and are constantly working on game content, etc.

2. Exactly how many maps are in iRO for each server? It increases every few months with updates.

3. Out of the players that are not bots for each server, there is an increasing number of actual players. How many are really reporting bots/sending in tickets/talking to GMs on a consistent basis? Many just deal with it or think someone else will, especially if they don't get a response right away (see #1).

I could keep going, but seriously? Less GMs + increasing map counts + players EXPECTING a solution without reporting = less than positive outcome.

And don't even get me started on bot player behavior - you think a single ban is going to stop someone from botting? They just go back and create more. We've all seen it happen - some bot gets banned and within weeks there's another to replace them. At least the VIP server setup has reduced the botting somewhat.

Edited by Nilami, 13 May 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#36 Siveria

Siveria

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

This is all I gotta say: http://forums.warppo...r-and-valkyrie/

The problem is the GMs just don't got the time/resources to combat the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users