Stealth should actually stealth. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Stealth should actually stealth.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ikaeru

Ikaeru

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

I apologize if this post pops up in several places, but as a long time thief-class player, it is an issue I am quite familiar with that negatively affects all of the classes with any stealth capabilities.

Currently, PvP and WoE are, due to the nature of third-classes, very heavily skill-oriented. It's very rare to see an effective player using only regular melee attacks. However, the problem comes when a player opts to begin using a variety of stealth skill, be it hide, stalk, or cloak. Because skill-names still show above a stealthed player's head, the point of cloaking or stalking is rendered pointless. Everyone can see exactly where you are just as if they had a maya-purple card. With flee-based characters like assassins and rogues having their flee substantially nerfed in WoE, stealth is one of their only saving graces... but because WoE is so heavily skill-focused, they don't actually get to stealth at all.

Hence: I propose the following modification:

The stealth skills like Hide, Cloak, and Stalk also remove skill-names from above the user so that that user is ACTUALLY stealthed instead of invisible with a giant box above their head for the next five seconds saying that they just used backstab, consequently revealing to all other players their precise location.

#2 LordVader

LordVader

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1129 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Sensible request. Something the GM's can implement? Doubtful. Maybe this will get to kRO and we can see it in a couple years.

#3 Clogon

Clogon

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1621 posts
  • Server:Ygg

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

This applies to new stealth skills like Ranger's Camouflage, GX's Cloaking Exceed and Chaser's Invisibility too.

#4 iCare

iCare

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1062 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hallucination Walk must be review as well. It does cool but useless animation, that any players on pvp will avoid u upon activating it. I suggest to remove the animation since Hallucination Walk was designed to clone u as a target. Please consider :)

#5 fasthands

fasthands

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

no

#6 Ikaeru

Ikaeru

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

no

And why not?

Because clearly, Guillotine Crosses are far more powerful than Rune Knights and can easily get to 193 aspd and crit for 2k a hit... Wait. No. Nevermind.

#7 iCare

iCare

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1062 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

Not all gXes have a +9 KvM Katar. They nerfed our crit damage a long time ago already not mentioning the nerf on our EDP too. A lot of class can easily tank EDPed 193aspd +9 KVM Katar on WoE. Its not something like GFIST or Pinpoint that can OHKO any class.

This request is not something like making us GOD Class again, its just a small thing that needs to be look into since a lot of Renewal skills underwent changes from their original design.

If a gX can kill ur rune knight ur doing something wrong.. Gloomy cs + Storm Blast maybe? :)

#8 Jimmyawake

Jimmyawake

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

IMO i think cloak is pretty useless now. A few years ago there were just a handful of people had maya purples. Ymir is now flooded with MP so every guild has at least 2 or 3 of thoses. Being a Sin classes we dont really have that many skillz where we can overlook selecting cloak or cloaking exceed as one of our skillz. I dont think the creators of renewal even cared when they made GX classes, nor did they take into account what items have been readily avaible to the public.

on the other hand i hear that hallucination walk is pretty good, but i havent seen it in game before.

#9 Charon

Charon

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 992 posts
  • LocationSlovenia
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Feint Bomb also shows the skill name above you.

#10 Hacks

Hacks

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

this is very much wanted, i'd also like to see the overhead animations for item usage blocked while unseen as well, hate having to go find an unseen corner to pot up while still cloaked.

#11 Ikaeru

Ikaeru

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

IMO i think cloak is pretty useless now. A few years ago there were just a handful of people had maya purples. Ymir is now flooded with MP so every guild has at least 2 or 3 of thoses. Being a Sin classes we dont really have that many skillz where we can overlook selecting cloak or cloaking exceed as one of our skillz. I dont think the creators of renewal even cared when they made GX classes, nor did they take into account what items have been readily avaible to the public.

on the other hand i hear that hallucination walk is pretty good, but i havent seen it in game before.

There's also for those of us who are on Yggdrasil, in which MP's are even less common. There are still only like, three on the server, but that's only enough to cover three castles. As was mentioned previously, they're thinking of opening up multiple castles on yggdrasil soon. It should make it possible to actually do some things as a non-swordman/non sorcerer class again.

#12 Luckywhiterabbit

Luckywhiterabbit

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1740 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:49 AM

Another skill I think should not have a skill bubble is the Stalker's feint bomb. With the KRO patch, it now puts you into hiding instead of making you backdash. This could be a rather interesting skill, if only your character didn't shout FEINT BOMB! and warn the opponent not to try to attack the clone...

#13 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

I'm pretty sure Maya Purple and Deviling cards were never supposed to be in OCAs in the first place.
To my knowledge, no other RO has them inside OCAs. I got two Maya Purple cards out of 6 OCAs, which is just stupid.

#14 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

I think this is intended, so that people can't use a skill and then vanish without a trace. Just about every game that allows invisibility forces you to remain visible for a short time after attacking people. RO is more generous, and allows you to cloak/etc immediately (or nearly so), but you still get that 5 seconds during which you can still be tracked by the skill name.

I think this behavior is critical to maintaining the balance of thief class characters.

#15 Krispin

Krispin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

being able to see where a thief class character is when hes using a skill specifically designed to hide from other players and monsters is critical to balance

wat
Never mind that every other person in woe is walking around with a sight clip.

With that logic hiding and cloaking might as well be disabled in woe.
Yes they protect you from aoe spells/skills but that is neither the point nor the purpose of the hiding skills.

Also, heavens drive.

Edited by Krispin, 03 June 2011 - 09:42 AM.

#16 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

I think this is intended, so that people can't use a skill and then vanish without a trace. Just about every game that allows invisibility forces you to remain visible for a short time after attacking people. RO is more generous, and allows you to cloak/etc immediately (or nearly so), but you still get that 5 seconds during which you can still be tracked by the skill name.

I think this behavior is critical to maintaining the balance of thief class characters.

The abundance of Maya Purple cards breaks the balance.

#17 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

on ymir, alt's alts have maya ps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users