ItalianChild

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWestern New York
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

This may be an odd thing to start a thread about but there has always been worse. But am i behind the times and did My Little Pony suddenly become popular or something? I have seen so many signatures with it and well. its perplexing as to why something so retarded is being used as much as it is.

#2 Kitten

Kitten

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3077 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

something so retarded

Apparently you haven't seen it.

#3 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands [NL], stuck in traffic.
  • Server:Ymir(?)

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:50 AM

^Agreed! Don't call things retarted before you have even watched it. Also, how you missed the explosion of the fanbase on the internet is beyond me...

#4 ItalianChild

ItalianChild

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWestern New York
  • Server:Odin

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:53 AM

how you missed the explosion of the fanbase on the internet is beyond me...

um, i dont look for stuff like that? i'd vouch that as a very plausible idea to grasp within your reach? i saw oda posted something like that on Facebook and then a few people have it as their siggies, im sorry when it says my little, and add in pony, i tend to think meh this isn't something that interesting.

#5 Cubical

Cubical

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 888 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

guess so op

#6 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

um, i dont look for stuff like that? i'd vouch that as a very plausible idea to grasp within your reach? i saw oda posted something like that on Facebook and then a few people have it as their siggies, im sorry when it says my little, and add in pony, i tend to think meh this isn't something that interesting.

Trust me you don't have to search for it to run into it. The fanbase has been there WAAAAY before Oda posted it btw... Besides if you don't want to be trolled don't ask stupid questions on the forum :waddle:.

Spoiler

Edited by Chucklet, 06 June 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#7 Krispin

Krispin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

I don't get it either....
I think I've heard of there being some kind of deep hidden meaning in the episodes making it "mature", but I honestly can't tell if this is just trolling or people seeing crap that isn't there.

I've watched an episode.
It's a show for little girls about ponies.

Some people I'll never understand.

#8 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

"There is no arguing about taste" Then again, some people only know how to hate...

Also, someone might want to move this to off-topic or close this before I start with some serious pony-trolling ^^
Spoiler

Edited by Chucklet, 06 June 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#9 FoxyWoxy

FoxyWoxy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

I read the team that worked on foster's home for imaginery friends was also behind this, I certainly saw a resemblance from the 5 minutes I watched. I just had other things I prefered to watch.

#10 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Recently, a new animated version of My Little Pony has begun showing on TV (started last October). Since then, it gained somewhat of a fanbase outside of the targeted age group. This alone would likely not be enough to catapult it to meme-fame - there are popular tv shows all over, which a significant minority like, but the majority looks down upon, but we don't hear about them everywhere. MLP seems to garner hate sight-unseen though, due to opinions most of us formed when we were in elementary school, or even just based on the name*.

So, discussions by this fan group on forums about animated cartoons in general, predictably, led to forum drama, particularly on the /co/ board (and then /b/ ) on 4-chan. This drove it's popularity among older viewers. The drama intensified, and early this spring, came to a head, when 4-chan started banning people who posted MLP images outside of designated threads. Again, predictably, this led to a further explosion of awareness of MLP, and soon, ponies were showing up everywhere. I'd suspect that the 4-chan admins watch MLP and made this decision in order to boost it's popularity - either that, or they're stupid.

*It always seemed wussy - now it sounds modern, since everything online now is MySomething or YouSomething or iSomething. Narcissism in product naming is big these days. (Too bad for them that they didn't patent prefixing a descriptive name with "My" to name a brand)

To be clear, i've never seen it - just seen the pictures people post everywhere, and got fed up and researched why it was popping up everywhere all of a sudden. It is my understanding that the new one is more sophisticated than the original series.

Edited by DrAzzy, 06 June 2011 - 08:10 AM.

#11 CeruleanRanger

CeruleanRanger

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:05 AM

Every forum I go to has them.... I just got used to the hype. lol

#12 Dukeares

Dukeares

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

As long as it not Barney....

#13 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Think of it as another Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. They both destroy the main trope form of their category based on their viewer's reception of respective shows. I'd have to agree with Azzy on how there's a possibility that 4-chan had a hand in making it popular.

#14 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

PONIES FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRR~~~~~~~~~

Also the Pony Princess agrees. OP is a-_-.

#15 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Ahh yes, there is no fighting it. And tho I agree 4-chan and such have helped the fandom get larger, it's not it's true origin and definately not it's future... (there are more things than 4-chan, even if they themselves will not agree with this)
But hey, the people on 4-chan make things like this, and I love them for it:
Spoiler

Anyway I can totally understand it if you don't like it, I just hope all the real haters realize that there are bound to be more things in life they are not going to like/understand... :waddle:

Edited by Chucklet, 06 June 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#16 Michelle

Michelle

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationThe Third Half of Dimension X-7E
  • Server:notRO Tempoquitian

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

Less ponies, more sharks.

Posted Image

#17 TrueMaster

TrueMaster

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationFar Northern California
  • Server:Valkyrie->Chaos

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

On this forum it is just because oda changed his avatar to be suddenly relevant to it and then everyone exploded onto the bandwagon. Its pretty typical of adolescence to do that because they cant think up their own identity. what i was more angry about is how come they are allowed to use profanity in their pony images and not get in trouble, while i cant text it in the forum. Maybe i should just put it all my profanity in an image and in the bottom corner have a pony so i can get away with it.

#18 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:All

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:21 AM

Let me educate you on WHY.

It's awesome.
It's awesome.
It's awesome.
It's awesome.
It's awesome.
It's awesome.
It's awesome.
It's awesome.
The animation is fantastic.

I, for one, loved my little pony when I was a little kid, and I still love it now. I just really love how it got an animation upgrade. Then again I also enjoy watching Spongebob Squarepants and Fairly Odd Parents. I'm eighteen.

The director of MLP is a really great director, too. She directed Powerpuff Girls, which was hillarious in it's heyday.

Edited by Faolain, 06 June 2011 - 11:26 AM.

#19 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Yeah - while I don't plan on watching it, the quality of the artwork/animation looks pretty good from what I've been unable to avoid seeing.

On this forum it is just because oda changed his avatar to be suddenly relevant to it and then everyone exploded onto the bandwagon. Its pretty typical of adolescence to do that because they cant think up their own identity. what i was more angry about is how come they are allowed to use profanity in their pony images and not get in trouble, while i cant text it in the forum. Maybe i should just put it all my profanity in an image and in the bottom corner have a pony so i can get away with it.

They get away with the profanity because the GMs don't aggressively moderate the forums, and us volunteer mods can't edit peoples avatar/sig (I tried to figure out if I could, when i saw that image you refer to; as far as I could tell, i couldn't) Besides, use of profanity for comedic effect isn't so much of a problem. There's a big difference between an avatar with a swear in it, not directed at anyone, versus someone posting "Shut the f--- up, you piece of s---".

#20 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Oda was NOT the first one to introduce ponies into the forum, ask him yourself. Stupid conclusions are stupid.

Anyway, this thread is getting better every time I hit refresh ^^ but seriously, can we close it already?

Edited by Chucklet, 06 June 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#21 SilX

SilX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

All I can say is that the show is...interesting to say the least. I'm only on like episode 5 and on a side note it's SO easy to tell which character's gonna snap eventually.

And on another note referring to another post...KENT BROCKMAN YOU FREAKING SELLOUT!

#22 Shiina

Shiina

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:12 PM

It's a great show.

Also, the creator is awesome.

Posted Image

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, leave your insecurities at the door.

#23 TrueMaster

TrueMaster

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationFar Northern California
  • Server:Valkyrie->Chaos

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Oda was NOT the first one to introduce ponies into the forum, ask him yourself. Stupid conclusions are stupid.

Also, was I the one that posted a 'profanity' picture? Just tell me to delete it instead of negative voting me (again, another reason to only post in tech support I guess).

He may have not been the first but everyone certainly jumped on the band wagon after he did.

No it was not you who posted the picture so don't jump to conclusions and ideas like "its all about me".

#24 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:All

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

He may have not been the first but everyone certainly jumped on the band wagon after he did.

No it was not you who posted the picture so don't jump to conclusions and ideas like "its all about me".

My sig is more a joke than anything else personally. It's not to be part of a bandwagon, no. I love the show, I love the toys, I've been collecting them since I was a little kid. My friend wanted to get over her art block so she made me a gift. I feel kind of sad that someone gets so offended over seeing ponies everywhere. It's like people getting offended over Santa Claus. Something funny and whimsical is around to make people happy and people just get mad. :waddle:

Edited by Faolain, 06 June 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#25 Chucklet

Chucklet

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

I actually already edited that out, but I usually put pictures that can offend/irritate into spoilers, so I was just really curious as to what picture was offensive.

And I agree that after Oda posted it there was suddenly a boom of ponies on here. It was a good day (and I didn't feel so alone anymore :waddle:).

Spoiler

Edited by Chucklet, 06 June 2011 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users