Question about hexing a client. - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Question about hexing a client.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#1 Hulk

Hulk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

As far as i know hexing a client in anyway is illegal and is a bannable offense as stated here in their terms and agreements "(L) Modify any files that Gravity does not specifically authorize User to modify. Use of material, which is subject to the rights of any person or entity without the express permission of such rights holder, is prohibited, and will result in the termination of the User's usership and possible civil and/or criminal liability.". Either in benefitting for your own and in some other way. there is a video that showed a client thats been hexed or modified for their own use and means. they added a mini map and changed the sprite of barricades to make it look smaller and just show the head of the barricade removing the body. who knows what they can do to gain advantage to other players. i dont know if this is legal or not. who knows they may share it with people and do things the game doesnt allow you to. its up to the GM's to take a look and decide. here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zySjT6AEJWA&feature=player_embedded#at=303

Edited by Hulk, 06 June 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#2 Kaitch

Kaitch

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

It's not hexing the client. It's modifying/adding files to the GRF...

#3 Hulk

Hulk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

exactly. that is what hexing is. you cant open the GRF without hexing it. and by modifying and adding something to it you are violating the terms and agreements of ragnarok.

Edited by Hulk, 06 June 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#4 Alca

Alca

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

should be a bannable offense if you're caught doing it(which is hard to prove).

#5 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

They let RCX go, so I don't know.

#6 Kaitch

Kaitch

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

That mean that my replacement of Giant Magestic Goat with Pink hat is against the Terms of Service. lulz

Oh and no, that's still not hexing. It's just like opening a archived folder.

Hexing would be to open the exe in an hexadecimal editor and changing some variables inside.

#7 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

As far as i know hexing a client in anyway is illegal and is a bannable offense as stated here in their terms and agreements "(L) Modify any files that Gravity does not specifically authorize User to modify. Use of material, which is subject to the rights of any person or entity without the express permission of such rights holder, is prohibited, and will result in the termination of the User's usership and possible civil and/or criminal liability.". Either in benefitting for your own and in some other way. there is a video that showed a client thats been hexed or modified for their own use and means. they added a mini map and changed the sprite of barricades to make it look smaller and just show the head of the barricade removing the body. who knows what they can do to gain advantage to other players. i dont know if this is legal or not. who knows they may share it with people and do things the game doesnt allow you to. its up to the GM's to take a look and decide. here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zySjT6AEJWA&feature=player_embedded#at=303

I like the minimap... share it? I hate getting lose all the time =P

#8 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Editing the client can do some cool and useful things for players, however can also provide an unfair advantage, which is why its illegal.

#9 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Oh its afrikan, everyone knows he edits his clients to hell and has done for years.

Aww is he cheating on the recall leader of Animosity?! I thought that guild was legit! WTF!

edit: dats sum nice autopotting.

Edited by Xellie, 06 June 2011 - 07:23 PM.

#10 Akihiro

Akihiro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1235 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm curious about whether or not GRF editing is legal, considering a lot of the stuff you can do is purely cosmetic for you and you alone, but you can do some crazy bad things with it that I'd rather not say.

#11 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

A better question to be asked by us is:

What is it you want the client to do that it doesn't that makes you feel the need to modify the client?

Aside from cheating to make this work in bad ways, what are the "neutral" things like mini-maps or changing a skill effect appearance and such?

I'd rather add in or make adjustments so those reasonable changes come in the box so people don't feel they need to modify.

#12 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

exactly. that is what hexing is. you cant open the GRF without hexing it. and by modifying and adding something to it you are violating the terms and agreements of ragnarok.

Hexing isn't modifying the grf.
Hexing is modifying any program/file directly (with an hex values editor).
Modifying the grf is just altering the resources, just like changing the songs in your BGM folder.

While it is probably still illegal to modify the grf yourself, they are two very far different things.

#13 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

Interesting... but it seems Heim approve this so... yeah

#14 Hulk

Hulk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:28 PM

is it illegal or not? if so then we can modify the client as we would like to.

Edited by Hulk, 06 June 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#15 Akihiro

Akihiro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1235 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

What is it you want the client to do that it doesn't that makes you feel the need to modify the client?

Aside from cheating to make this work in bad ways, what are the "neutral" things like mini-maps or changing a skill effect appearance and such?

I'd rather add in or make adjustments so those reasonable changes come in the box so people don't feel they need to modify.

Well if anything there are several things that would be nice for players to be able to edit on the fly like the Unbarring Octave file that lets you choose what jokes you want to say with the skill...but there are also silly things like making your character look like a different class and (previously mentioned in this thread) changing hats to look like different other hats.

It's that petty kind of stuff that is nice to do where you're not cheating or gaining an advantage, you're just changing up the way you see things. For example I used to have an edit that I did that made cards a bit prettier.

#16 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

So then, that "mini-map" and "barricades" can be consider some kind of "advantage"? since with mini map, you can tell how to fort is and such... and with the barricade's size, you can actually target people on barricades...

Interesting...

#17 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

Heim didn't really approve it, he wants to know what we'd like to see added to the game so that it doesn't have to be modified.

#18 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

Heim didn't really approve it, he wants to know what we'd like to see added to the game so that it doesn't have to be modified.

So if he didn't approve it... then it is consider illegal? cuz I believe there are not "neutral" terms here... I guess... lol

#19 Hulk

Hulk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

if its illegal then something must be done. no bending the rules. if so then just remove it from the Terms of Service and let everyone edit their client.

#20 Akihiro

Akihiro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1235 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

if its illegal then something must be done. no bending the rules. if so then just remove it from the Terms of Service and let everyone edit their client.

It'd need to be a neutral ground like RCX otherwise the people who know how to cheat with the GRF will certainly abuse the hell out of it.

#21 Kaitch

Kaitch

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

• The thing I'd really like the exe to allow : a bit more zoom.
  • Disable hallucination/get an alternate one (see RCX)
  • Increase Screenshot quality from 75% to ~90%. We are not in 2003 anymore.

Those minimaps would be really nice to get.
I do not want smaller barricades. They feel dumb (Why can't I walk over them? )

You'll have to balance between ease of use and look'n feel...

#22 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

That nasty aspd hack was a simple grf change, this is definitely something that should be kept very illegal D:

#23 Wizard

Wizard

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3957 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

lol, that auto-potting, barricades and minimap seems quite efficient... targeting ppl on barricades was always quite a pain... not anymore I guess =)

I think we gonna need to carry more pots or setting the same for Green Ales can be good as well =)

#24 Viri

Viri

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6295 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

somepeople remove the attack animations from their chars, maybe you should do that

#25 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

IDK if everyone would approve, but the shorter barricades is nice so people have more trouble hiding in them. Mini maps are good, too. Something in ET to show what floor you're on?

You could make certain debuffs more apparent. Make the little snowflake (Mode Cold) from Diamond Dust / that one Mechanic skill bigger. Make Deep Sleep bigger / a different color so it can be differentiated from normal sleep. Small stuff like that.

I don't really know what's possible to modify without being a hassle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users