Newb Guide Contest Finalist - Page 2 - Newb Guide Contest - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Newb Guide Contest Finalist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Overall Guide Finalist (237 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Overall Guide

1. Faithx's General Guide to Dragon Saga~ (76 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Camei's Warrior to Dragoon Guide (89 votes [42.58%])

Percentage of vote: 42.58%

3. Diablozeff's Archer to Sentinel Guide (10 votes [4.78%])

Percentage of vote: 4.78%

4. sXcDennis's Everything you need to know about Dragonsaga!! (General Guide) (14 votes [6.70%])

Percentage of vote: 6.70%

5. Cyndres' Guide to an Archer! Lv1~40 (9 votes [4.31%])

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

6. Miname's Mage Guide (11 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote

#26 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Playing:Dragon Saga
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

Correct and spot on, as we did not want anyone to be given a place by default. Though content is different, the guide process is similar. Being given a place by default does not prove to be an adequate, friendly competition that displayed guide making talents.

well seeing has there's 2 thief guides I would guess one of them would've gotten a spot over a second general or archer guide at least.

#27 ImDiene

ImDiene

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • LocationYurai's <3

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

Initially we were going to choose, one Guide from each category. However, due to some incomplete entries, WarpPortal team decided to pick the 6 best guides, and have you all pick the BEST overall guide.

I think his main problem was the reason for this when every section did have a completed guide. >_>

I assume the fact that each category had its own winner was the reason you allowed people to submit multiple entries in separate categories. But by removing this categorization, how was this contest different from the other contests in which multiple entries were not allowed? If people are competing for the same prize, why should multiple entries be allowed?

It just seems like the one winner per category was a necessary aspect of the rules to ensure overall fairness because multiple entries were allowed (not that many people even submitted more than one entry, but this still should be important just principle-wise). The reason for not following through with this rule does not seem entirely applicable since, again, every section had a completed guide.

Edited by ImDiene, 09 June 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#28 Meganekko

Meganekko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 924 posts
  • Location305

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

Some things to consider when choosing the Best Overall Guide:

• Thoroughness (How detailed is the guide?)
  • Presentation/Creativity (Did they include screenshots? did they include any special formatting in their guide[special fonts or images] etc)

I def. checked for thoroughness. I then checked to make sure the guide didn't take forever to load and was easy to find what I wanted with extreme ease vs waiting on an image to load and then have to read through a wall of text in the image to find the one thing I needed.

Goodluck to everyone :ani_meow:

#29 Nolanvoid

Nolanvoid

Nolan Smash!

• Retired
  • 2024 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

well seeing has there's 2 thief guides I would guess one of them would've gotten a spot over a second general or archer guide at least.

There was 1 guide. The incomplete one does not qualify.

#30 Yurai

Yurai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2917 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

Correct and spot on, as we did not want anyone to be given a place by default. Though content is different, the guide process is similar. Being given a place by default does not prove to be an adequate, friendly competition that displayed guide making talents.

I can understand not enough guides can break the one guide per category rule if the only guides in that category were either

• Incomplete
  • Poorly written
  • Had no organization
  • Was difficult to read
  • Contained inaccurate information
  • Was not very informative
  • Did not follow the contest guidelines
Aside from those reasons, which none of them apply, I really do not see why there would be a need to break the guideline of one winner per category. In addition, there were only 2 archer guides, and both of them were chosen. I don't see how it why the amount of guides submitted per category would matter, because it clearly doesn't.

Edited by Yurai, 09 June 2011 - 04:53 PM.

#31 Hastur

Hastur

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 1553 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

I can understand not enough guides can break the one guide per category rule if the only guides in that category were either

• Incomplete
  • Poorly written
  • Had no organization
  • Was difficult to read
  • Contained inaccurate information
  • Was not very informative
  • Did not follow the contest guidelines
Aside from those reasons, which none of them apply, I really do not see why there would be a need to break the guideline of one winner per category. In addition, there were only 2 archer guides, and both of them were chosen. I don't see how it why the amount of guides submitted per category would matter, because it clearly doesn't.

Yurai, you are being a terribly poor sport about this contest. I have already asked you nicely to please let it go and discontinue posting on the matter, clearly my request has gone unheeded. So i will now escalate it to a warning, LET IT GO, if you wish to post in this thread, please be about your choices in the vote, or encouraging words about those chosen. If you have trouble complying, i will be removing your posts from the topic completely. Better luck next time.

#32 Maronu

Maronu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2358 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

What is the consolation prize?

#33 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

It's all you, twin! <3

#34 Faithx

Faithx

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

I understand, I wasn't saying that image-heavy ones were terrible (they were very nice), I just found it a little odd that they seemed so favored. Not necessarily by you or the people judging, I meant by the community...some people even re-edited their text guides to make it completely image-only, which baffled me because I was like, "How is this going to be edited when new content comes in?"

But yah that's just me ._.;;

Clearly you know nothing of photoshop...lol Text layers can be easily editted if you have the psd file which i do for each... and if you knew me while I was making the guide, you'd know that I editted each one like 5 times because of typos or information.

Just trying to clear things up that I can easily edit for new content... it's all in the magic of photoshop

#35 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Gurlz
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

Clearly you know nothing of photoshop...lol

feel free to attack my (completely unfounded) lack of PS skills if it makes you feel better. :P my regards are still the same

#36 Faithx

Faithx

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

feel free to attack my (completely unfounded) lack of PS skills if it makes you feel better. :ani_meow: my regards are still the same

I wasn't really attacking o.O that first line was obviously a joke with the lol at the end. I was just trying to clear things up since you claimed that I (or Dennis lol) can't update our images if new content were to come. And I know you also have a deviantart so I'm pretty sure you use ps or gimp or w/e...which is why I'm not even sure why you made such a comment when you KNOW it's easy to edit text layers with a simple click.

#37 igozuvi

igozuvi

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 657 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Gurlz
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

Maybe I worded it wrong when I said that it CAN'T be updated AT ALL...I meant more like, it's much more difficult to edit psd files/image files in comparison to text, especially when you have to take into fact that you basically have to keep those psd files forever (what happens if you lose them from a crash or something?)

imo it's just more hassle on the guide-makers' part, your guide is very very nice but imagining updating it all the time seems like wugh

#38 fyerolight

fyerolight

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • LocationPuerto Rico
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

I really liked Camei's!
Good luck to everyone else :ani_meow:

#39 Ryekaryn

Ryekaryn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:14 AM

hey Hastur my lil brother used his account and voted .... he lives next room to me so i think he has the same IP.. you can disqualify it if you like but its noy my fault

#40 hungfido

hungfido

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone who are and is voting for me! Please leave your in game down so i can put it in the credits section!

Best of luck to all Finalists!

#41 Mategi

Mategi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

i vote :o

good luck to everyone :D

#42 lawrencfly

lawrencfly

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

CAMEI CAMEI CAMEI :o

#43 Metaldrak28

Metaldrak28

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Server:Vyvern

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

I voted for Camei.

Good luck to everyone else.

#44 NozokiEmpire

NozokiEmpire

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Locationno.
  • Server:Quit

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

I too, voted for Camei!

Best wishes to the other contestants.

#45 shadowkun

shadowkun

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:42 AM

Prior to the "presentation left something to be desired", you stated that the top 6 guides were image heavy, had stylized fonts, and personal flair. Once again, my guide is on par with the image usage from the other guides, and contained stylized fonts. I cannot say anything about the personal flair since I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but it certainly was not mentioned as part of the criteria for being a top guide. That said, my guide follows every single bullet point that was mentioned as a selection criteria, and as such, I do not understand the original reason for having no selection from each category (incomplete guide), nor can I see how my guide lacks based on the bullet points provided by both the original contest guidelines, as well as what Aramis just posted.

Forgive me for being stubborn, but I do not see how my guide lacks in the required content and presentation compared to the guides that were chosen. As such, I feel that there is a selection bias. I did not say anything about a conspiracy theory. If you must, please do go into specifics about the selection process. Is my font not readable? Is my information not organized coherently? Is there no easy method to jump from one section to another? Is there not adequate information? Is the information inaccurate? Am I lacking personal opinions on the subject I wrote about? Does my guide not adequately cover all the information required for my topic?

Please enlighten me because the reason provided for not choosing a guide from each section was due to guides being incomplete. Now, it's about my guide lacking in something that I believe that I provided sufficient and adequate amounts of. I hope you can see why I'm arguing my position here.

Yurai i pity u. How come your so 'wonderful' guide hasn't been selected?

#46 Faithx

Faithx

Guide Guru

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

Sorry Camei I had to be selfish and vote for myself lols

Thanks for everyone who voted for me :o giving free virtual hugs ingame npnp lol

#47 StormHaven

StormHaven

(ノ°▽°)ノ︵┻━┻

• VMod Retired
  • 5432 posts
  • Server:Dekard

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yurai i pity u. How come your so 'wonderful' guide hasn't been selected?

because there wasn't a second thief guide and WP didn't want people to auto win finalist spots.

#48 HiRyan

HiRyan

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 901 posts
  • LocationIn your pants

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

Since i hard time deciding which guide was the best.
i voted for my imaginary guide -_-

#49 wizardrage

wizardrage

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

The best guide for noobies ------- find a friendly high lv xD

#50 chuongli

chuongli

Amateur Blogger

• Members