Ragnarok Client Renewal - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Ragnarok Client Renewal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gantrithor

Gantrithor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1083 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:36 AM

Make a new client with top end 3D graphics and particle effects with HD Sprites. Keep the same game. Let us be able to connect to the same game with either client.

Force Ask nicely, the appropriate department and division of Gravity to do this.

Release client. Start advertising new client. Make lods of emone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

Examples:
An older MMORPG that went through a client renewal. (Note: I am not trying to make you play this game instead of Ragnarok Online)
Posted Image

More Images Below
Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 | Image 4

Classic Sprite -> HD Sprite Examples
Posted Image -> Posted Image

More Examples Below:
Classic 1 | HD 1
Classic 2 | HD 2
Classic 3 | HD 3
Classic 4 | HD 4
Classic 5 | HD 5
Classic 6 | HD 6
Classic 7 | HD 7
Classic 8 | HD 8

And just 'cause it'll help with my argument:
Posted Image -> Posted Image

#2 Hacks

Hacks

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:55 AM

if gravity cant find the time to make simple text file changes to correct descriptions on items and skills, what makes you think that they'd have the time or manpower to recreate every piece of artwork for this game in explicit detail? the data files are compressed and easily 3 GB of bitmaps uncompressed. these images are all created by hand and have taken over ten years to get to where we are now. i'm sorry dude but your request is unreasonable for that reason alone, not to mention the headache of maintaining two separate clients when you fork it like that. the time spent on this would be better spent on RO2.

Edited by Hacks, 16 June 2011 - 03:56 AM.

#3 Gantrithor

Gantrithor

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1083 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:07 AM

Don't you think, the same thing went through the minds of those at Origin Systems? Ultima Online was released in 1997. The Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn client was released in 2007, That's 10 years.

RO2: LotS, looks terrible gameplay-wise, it's just another generic no-name MMORPG with RO Styled graphics. If they have the resources to completely screw over RO2 and then remake it and still not make it as good as RO1, I'm pretty sure they could spend some time on RO1 which is superior to RO2. It doesn't matter if it takes a year or two, SNK Playmore spent like 1 month per character on the KOF sprites.

Not being able to edit one simple text file is more of an iRO stereotype, not Gravity as a whole.

#4 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:51 AM

Also, many of the assets in game are re-used. Time and again. The one big issue would be compatibility between the things, and possible remodelling/map recreation. It'd be nice, but I wouldn't expect it.

#5 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:51 AM

I'd like to see a High Resolution pack to be released, sort of like what the fans did for Duke Nukem 3d. Arguably a big part of the charm of RO is in the FF Tactics type sprites, but it would be fun to see things rendered a little more closely to the original concept art. Maybe if they ever figured out how to put a version on the iOS/Android market/consoles they'd up-res things.

#6 MrBudd

MrBudd

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:08 AM

Screw 3D RO, +1 for HD sprite versions of RO.

#7 iCandy

iCandy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole, beside Santa's House
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

yup i have to agree that the HD sprites are neat... and I dont really like 3D sprites personally...

#8 Xactoknife

Xactoknife

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

A group of people are currently working on this idea. The biggest problem is that the client would have to be completely re-created from the ground up in order to even render any such HD sprites. So more than likely you will see such an upgrade come from within the community. This custom client is implemented in C# on Microsoft XNA platform. It is just a re-creation of current RO, but I'm sure could easily implement new sprites, effects, ect...

http://youtu.be/XwogFoLo4sc

http://www.ragnaxna.com/
http://www.facebook.com/ragnaxna

Edited by Xactoknife, 16 June 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#9 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Sera, 16 June 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#10 Makk

Makk

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Location@ work. always.
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I'd like to see a High Resolution pack to be released, sort of like what the fans did for Duke Nukem 3d. Arguably a big part of the charm of RO is in the FF Tactics type sprites, but it would be fun to see things rendered a little more closely to the original concept art. Maybe if they ever figured out how to put a version on the iOS/Android market/consoles they'd up-res things.

Time to dust off my Android/Java books <.<

#11 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

Time to dust off my Java boobs.

#12 Ceer

Ceer

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSouth Kafra, Payon

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

Personally, I'd buy a wii version of RO if they figured out how to make it. I'd be willing to serve on a concept development team if Gravity is interested.

#13 Faolain

Faolain

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:All

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

I'd love a western 3D style game for RO...but only if it's ACTUALLY RO. None of this generic "perfect world" RO2 stuff. Give us the same game, with -slightly modified- mechanics (to fit into a 3D environment) and I'll be happy.

It'd allow players to move around in a more complex and engaging world. It might allow for moving 3D NPCs which can give quests on the fly. It'd help us get more involved in the lore and scenery, and not just "grind grind grind" forever.

Personally I'd really love to be able to move around with a WASD or TFGH system rather than point and click for everything.

Edited by Faolain, 17 June 2011 - 08:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users