• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jgchin

jgchin

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

hi GM i have a problem where my rose feel delay and worst when in sikuku prison where alot monster.

i know that is because my laptop not good enough for play rose .

it that any way i can reduce the graphic and resolution ?

my spec as below

lenovo dual core atom n550 , 1G ram ,intel graphic 3150
game resolution 800 x 600 windows mode .

#2 HolyEagle

HolyEagle

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationDrinkLand
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:57 AM

It is expected to lag especially in sikuku prison since your pc specs are absolute trash !

#3 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

No need to say it that way HolyEagle... Anyway, you can open TriggerDetect.exe from the Rose Online folder and reduce the game quality. Beside that, just buy a better PC...

#4 HellGuardian

HellGuardian

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1270 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

It is expected to lag especially in sikuku prison since your pc specs are absolute trash !

WOOT the Eagle is back!!! Hooray.

Or easier way, when you login before you go to prison, go to game option and select video tab and lower your game quality/performance to the lowest.

#5 HolyEagle

HolyEagle

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationDrinkLand

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

WOOT the Eagle is back!!! Hooray.

Or easier way, when you login before you go to prison, go to game option and select video tab and lower your game quality/performance to the lowest.

I am afraid I am not, still doing my obligatory army service !
Just have a few days off :blink:

#6 CoffeeMuse

CoffeeMuse

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationRose Forum Mod 2006-2011

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Typical response from Holy Eagle who almost never has anything positive or constructive to say and seems to enjoy bashing noobs. Considering you used to be called a "technical guru" I'd expect a lot more "help" than simply labeling a users PC as so much junk. Thats all you ever seem to say. You fail at tech support.

Rose was developed in 2003 when computers were much more primitive. Even computers you would call crap in this day and age should be able to handle Rose online decently.

Edited by CoffeeMuse, 18 June 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#7 HolyEagle

HolyEagle

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationDrinkLand

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Classic care bear Coffee... The pc specs says it all... they only for tetris. If you dont know about hardware no need to comment.

#8 CoffeeMuse

CoffeeMuse

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1097 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

Holy, I've built roughly 40 computers. I know onboard graphics are not good for 3D gaming. Your tech support skills are total fail until you can offer people something other than your usual "your computer is crap" feedback.

As for carebare, if you think treating people with deceny and respect is care bear, that is sad.

Edited by CoffeeMuse, 18 June 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#9 HellGuardian

HellGuardian

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1270 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

I am afraid I am not, still doing my obligatory army service !
Just have a few days off :blink:

Awww schuck, well be safe and be cautious whatever you do :thumb:

#10 CoffeeMuse

CoffeeMuse

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1097 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

One thing some people fail to realize is that there are some instances where a lot of data is exchanged between the Rose server and the game client. Sometimes those instances cause lag, for example you come to town and all the shops and players are there, it lags due to updating the client.

Thats not to say a laptop with onboard graphics is going to run a 3D game well. As a rule, you need a dedicated graphics chipset, even a basic one. My daughter bought an HP laptop and I made sure she at least got a seperate graphics chipset with it so she could do some basic 3D gaming. She can play Sim's 2 fine on that, but SIM's 3 might tank.

Most MMO's, especially older ones, don't require high power graphics chip sets to play them decently. Zayin's suggestion of lowering the graphics settings might help the user on a low cost laptop get a little better performance. Comments like Holy Eagles "standard" reply of "your computer is crap" may not help some kids who don't have the option of running out and buying a new computer. That is about 90% of the tech support he has to offer which = fail. Nice to see some "real" tech support comments from others like Zayin.

#11 Gojio

Gojio

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 5553 posts
  • LocationPastaland

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

When a computer is old and clearly sucks compared to today's standard, there's no need to hide it.

Plus, I missed his rude comments so bad xD love him or hate him. I <3 him.

#12 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

There is indeed no need to hide it, but there's a decent way to explain it. Harsh comments can be fun for people like you who know the guy, but it's certainly not for a newbie looking for help.

#13 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:15 AM

Meh!

The rose graphics engine doesn't require anything even close to decent.

I used to play rose on a 700 mhz celeron on 128MB RAM without a graphics card and it ran just fine.
I now run a state of the art custom made gaming computer and I can barely tell the difference.

The ONLY thing that ever makes a difference to me is my internet connection speed and bandwidth, NOT my PC specs.

Coffee is completely right.
When there are a LOT of monsters or shops or something then it means your network card has to handle a shed load of incoming packets and that's where the lag comes in. It has absolutely nothing to do with the speed at which your computer can redraw the screen.

Edited by PurpleYouko, 20 June 2011 - 05:17 AM.

#14 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

Meh!

The rose graphics engine doesn't require anything even close to decent.

I used to play rose on a 700 mhz celeron on 128MB RAM without a graphics card and it ran just fine.
I now run a state of the art custom made gaming computer and I can barely tell the difference.

The ONLY thing that ever makes a difference to me is my internet connection speed and bandwidth, NOT my PC specs.

Coffee is completely right.
When there are a LOT of monsters or shops or something then it means your network card has to handle a shed load of incoming packets and that's where the lag comes in. It has absolutely nothing to do with the speed at which your computer can redraw the screen.

However, I can see a huge difference when I try opening many clients on a crappy computer. My previous pc would start lagging like crazy with 3 clients and I can open more than 5 with my new one without any issue (never tried more). That has to do with ram am I right?

Edited by Zayin, 20 June 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#15 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

Agreed.
You can't multi client on a crappy computer.
This still has a LOT to do with bus speed on your NIC card though.
The more clients, the more information packets.

Graphically speaking, only the active client gets updated so there should be no (or only slightly) more load on your graphics card with multiple clients.
I must admit though that my graphics card does run a little hotter with multiple clients running so something is still loading it.

I don't believe RAM has any bearing on the situation at all really.
Processor power definitely does though if you run more than one instance of rose at the same time.
Rose uses hardly any RAM during the first hour or two. Only extended lengths of time will start to fill up your RAM due to memory leaks.

#16 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

Agreed.
You can't multi client on a crappy computer.
This still has a LOT to do with bus speed on your NIC card though.
The more clients, the more information packets.

Graphically speaking, only the active client gets updated so there should be no (or only slightly) more load on your graphics card with multiple clients.
I must admit though that my graphics card does run a little hotter with multiple clients running so something is still loading it.

I don't believe RAM has any bearing on the situation at all really.
Processor power definitely does though if you run more than one instance of rose at the same time.
Rose uses hardly any RAM during the first hour or two. Only extended lengths of time will start to fill up your RAM due to memory leaks.

I see, interesting. I thought ram would be involved more when opening multiple programs at the same time.

#17 CoffeeMuse

CoffeeMuse

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1097 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

I see, interesting. I thought ram would be involved more when opening multiple programs at the same time.

Ram does indeed affect game performance when you open more clients. This is a basic concept with PC's. If you fill up the RAM, your PC has to use a page file on the hard drive for virtual memeory. The hard drive is orders of magnitude slower than memory, so when you fill up your memory, your computer performance will tank.

I only have 1 gig of ram on both my desktop PC's - one of them the RAM slots went bad so I couldn't add more memory. If I open up 2 Rose clients and have IE and maybe vent, any more than that and I wait forever just switching between clients and or IE. If I doubled my RAM to 2 gigs, I could probably open up a couple of more game clients and be ok. As it is, on rare occasions I've had 3 game clients open in 1 gig of RAM and it takes forever to switch between clients.

#18 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

What Coffee said.

However although it takes forever to switch clients when your available RAM is filled, once you switch it should make little or no difference to the actual graphic quality or the speed at which they are displayed.

The speed at which the graphics are drawn is limited by the slowest of two main factors.

1) The actual speed of the processor on your graphics card (and to some degree the RAM on the card)

2) The speed at which the main processor of your PC can send instructions to your graphics card. This can be further subdivided into

a) The speed with which the main processor can sort through the available data in order to decide what commands to send to graphical output
:o The speed at which packets from the internet arrive at the main processor to be processed. This is typically the bottleneck that causes lag since it is the only part of the process that is dependent on anything outside of your actual computer.

Have you ever walked into Junon Polis on a busy day and had your client suddenly stop for a couple of seconds then be perfectly fine again?
That's because of hundreds of internet packets arriving all at the same time and causing a huge bottle neck in your NIC (internet connection). It just can't process all that incoming stuff fast enough to get it into your CPU so you experience L.....A.....G....
After that initial loading lag you can walk around just fine and your graphics don't lag at all.
Put a faster NIC into your PC and that lag will be dramatically reduced if not eliminated completely.
You will also find that you get much less lag from a wired ethernet connection than you do from a wireless connection.

PS that smiley should be a letter b followed by a parentheses. Stupid BB code......

Edited by PurpleYouko, 22 June 2011 - 05:31 AM.

#19 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for explaining all that! :o

#20 Niluje

Niluje

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Have you ever walked into Junon Polis on a busy day and had your client suddenly stop for a couple of seconds then be perfectly fine again?
That's because of hundreds of internet packets arriving all at the same time and causing a huge bottle neck in your NIC (internet connection). It just can't process all that incoming stuff fast enough to get it into your CPU so you experience L.....A.....G....
After that initial loading lag you can walk around just fine and your graphics don't lag at all.

Or it could be that the PC is having a hard time loading all the items that have to be displayed, I don't see anything proving that it's related to the connection (only)
And you don't lag after the initial loading because, well, everything is already loaded

And to prove this: when you arrive in Zant from the North warp gate and go across the bridge, you suddenly have to load all the pictures of the city itself (walls, houses, etc) and there is a short lag, even when there is absolutely nobody on the map (and even when there are people, you're still too far from the city for these people to be in view range anyway)

The lag in Junon may be caused by both connection and PC lag anyway

Edited by Niluje, 24 June 2011 - 02:43 PM.

#21 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

And to prove this: when you arrive in Zant from the North warp gate and go across the bridge, you suddenly have to load all the pictures of the city itself (walls, houses, etc) and there is a short lag, even when there is absolutely nobody on the map (and even when there are people, you're still too far from the city for these people to be in view range anyway)

I've never ever had that happen, even when I used to play on a 700 celeron with no graphics card and only 128mb of RAM.

If you are really experiencing that kind of lag then I would suspect that it's your hard drive slowing you down as it loads all the graphics. You probably need to defrag your hard drive and/or your registry.

Like I said though. I've never seen that in zant or in Junon Polis when there are no players around. All my graphics load instantly even on my crappy 11 year old computer (which I still have in my basement)

#22 Niluje

Niluje

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

When I say short I mean really short, like a 1 second freeze
It used to do that years ago, now I don't know, I never use this path

And even then, I don't see anything in your previous explanation that proved it was only the connection and not the PC that caused the lag, since the "symptoms" caused by both are the same at the 1st display

All my graphics load instantly even on my crappy 11 year old computer (which I still have in my basement)

lol I tried to do that a few years ago when I had a problem with my (current) computer, and not only did it took ages for the 10 year old computer (a very good one when bought) to load the game, but I had to put the quality at the minimum (and 800*600 windowed 16 bits) or it wouldn't even launch , and as soon as I was going from one map to another I had to wait for ages, so your computer(s) are not that crappy it seems

Edited by Niluje, 25 June 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#23 PurpleYouko

PurpleYouko

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

It would seem not apparently -_-

There are ways to test whether it is the NIC or the actual computer though.

First you log in to a busy server and enter an area with hundreds of shops. If it lags up for a few seconds then it might be your NIC but as you say it could be that your PC is slow to load the graphics for the town. It definitely won't be slow to load the graphics for the shops since they are all made of identical pieces that only need to load one time and not individually for each one.

Next you go and download one of those free open source server emulators and set it up on your PC.
Now log into your own personal server with a localhost IP. It will have absolutely no players at all. Go to the same place.
If it still lags up then you were correct. It was indeed your PC loading all the graphics.
If it runs flawlessly with no lag whatsoever then it proves that the lag is entirely due to your network connection.
Also note that if you are logging on to an emulator on localhost that all packets are 100% internal to your own PC. It bypasses your NIC altogether. It also takes a whole bunch of your processor power to run an EMU on the same PC as your rose client so that will add to PC based lag if that is what you are getting.

I can tell you from experience that (in my case at least) I get zero lag if there are no players. Even on my old (possibly not as crappy as I thought) PC :)

#24 Zayin

Zayin

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

I've set up a test server for fun before and I was still experiencing lag hanging around alone. However, my computer would start lagging simply from running the 3 servers (login, char, ingame).

Edited by Zayin, 25 June 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#25 Niluje

Niluje

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

First you log in to a busy server and enter an area with hundreds of shops. If it lags up for a few seconds then it might be your NIC but as you say it could be that your PC is slow to load the graphics for the town. It definitely won't be slow to load the graphics for the shops since they are all made of identical pieces that only need to load one time and not individually for each one.

You are forgetting all the players browsing the shops or just afk/refininf/whatever who wear different equipment

Anyway the game doesn't even need to actually load something to lag more:
Summon a mana/salamander flame = no big problem
Then put your camera right into it = aaaargh, huge FPS drop

Edited by Niluje, 26 June 2011 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users