Please remove ygg seeds from alligators - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Please remove ygg seeds from alligators

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sexytime

sexytime

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

[Wonkish]

For whatever strange reason today, I was unforunate enough to venture into that map (cmd_fild03) and had the displeasure of discovering that it is *still* so infested with bots, it is simply disgusting. I know this is not a novel problem and one which has persisted for years but I just wonder if GMs have any indication that certain map configurations will yield different bot scenarios. The alligator map, for one, is ideal for botting woe supplies that are essential - subject of course to the diminishing supply of ales - and one that no doubt has, is and for sure will continue to be a major source of bot income & a major cause of prisoner oppression in less blessed lands (see: Chinese prisoner gold farming article).

A cursory glance at market supplies shows that bots are able to farm ~800 ygg seeds per day - that is 50m at current prices, and ultimately 250m+ when ale supplies deplete, see http://ragial.com/it...HbXm5a42iFgN/1. This is not only a major driver of inflation but it has the potential of undermining woe planning, pot value, gameplay mechanics etc. Mind you, these are not the green ales that come and go - these are unsanctioned, illicit activities that do not carry the stamp of approval from GMs/game rules.

Moreover, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that fgdfgdfgdr et al are hail from the same lineage of bots that have been distorting market prices and volatility, irritating players and scamming RO customers, and doing all this while arguably reaping enough revenue that may put Gravity management to shame.

In summary, we all recognize that we have a blackmarket economy (valk). One may argue that ygg seeds are the tip of the iceberg; insignificant; or even pathetically inconsequential. That may be true as a general picture of valk's blackmarket economy but that argument does not conclusively rebut the necessity of figuring out solutions to issues that are addressable. In the case of ygg seeds, it is simple: just remove the drop from alligators and give it to another monster on a less farmable map. That, or clean the map - banning both the farmers and the notorious venders.

Disclaimer: the topic evidently is about ygg seeds - whether they effect the economy, whether the issue is serious as is purported above, whether any ideas may lend towards a solution. No claim is made as to whether the blackmarket economy can be eradicated, or whether external programs will solve botting issues, or more general GM policing questions. This is just ygg seeds.

#2 EvilLoynis

EvilLoynis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

I would have to agree with this. Keep in mind for NEW players that any item farming you try to do to raise some initial capital for weapons & Gears, this affects you BAD. Everything you sell will be worth LESS because of this.

+1

#3 asayuu

asayuu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2762 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Before ales, people could reach the record of buying [Yes, merchants which normally underprices items] the Yggdrasil Seeds for 250k+ each.

Now, they buy for 20k... The bots are not even selling they anymore, just holding them until the ale supply starts to get insufficient for the WOE needs of people. Then they can overprice and LIKE it.

Talking about bots... Does they work on hunting Yggdrasil Berries too, or is the Forest Maze too hard for bots?

#4 iCandy

iCandy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole, beside Santa's House
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:05 AM

@sexytime: Yes these bots are annoying and frustrating but you need to file a ticket. these things should be sent to the support tool.

#5 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

A better solution would be to ban the bots rather than remove a good source of income for newbies. I remember making quite a bit during Alligator turn-ins.

#6 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

I love the way you worded the OP. Sounds very professional. xD

#7 Mwrip

Mwrip

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

As with all of these threads, my main comment is, if you do this, don't do it on Ymir. We don't have their bot problem, so we most definitely do not need any anti-bot measures that do far more harm to newbies than bots.

My other main comment is exactly that: this hurts newbies more than bots. The bots will just pick another map.

#8 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

^ this. Stem Worms drop Yggseeds at about the same rate.

#9 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

As with all of these threads, my main comment is, if you do this, don't do it on Ymir. We don't have their bot problem, so we most definitely do not need any anti-bot measures that do far more harm to newbies than bots.

My other main comment is exactly that: this hurts newbies more than bots. The bots will just pick another map.

exactly. nerfing a particular drop does nothing to bots or their income. It does however hurt new players each step of the way.

Where are all the threads complaining about having large amount of cheap cards readily available?

Edited by Hrothmund, 19 June 2011 - 02:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users