what do people think abt real money - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

what do people think abt real money

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Icey

Icey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

I am just wandering what people think on spending real money for lucky boxes or other kafra stuff. I think spending $5 for one lucky box is just mind raping. I live with only abt $600 a month including rent and I am a univ. student. so basically i only spend like $200 for food and $400 for rent + utilities. I know some people will die with only $600/month and maybe like WTF what can you do with $600?!?!
so I just want to know why you spend all those $100-$1k on this game or any other games. Do you know the value of money or you just don't care since you have never earn money before? I just want to know the insight of your thought.

I don't think a lot of people who earn more than $300 a day play ro that much and I also doubt that person will spend more than $100/month on ro. Fine if you have extra money, but if you spend like 10% your income on game don't you feel like you are wasting it? This question only valid to the people who is working and survive on their own.

and how much money you spend on games or ro?

Edited by Icey, 22 June 2011 - 01:53 AM.

#2 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:03 AM

Or they earn a good income. A lot of the more experienced players here earn > $600 a week and thats quite conservative for some of them.

I think you need to change your perception on the value of money. Myself, I value things based on time among other things. If i make $300/hour then dropping $500-600 on a game each month wouldnt be a big deal.

#3 FatalityX

FatalityX

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hahahah =]. People are bored. Its the only explaination.

#4 Saff

Saff

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ragnarok Restart : Odin

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

While I do have a job and a little extra money a month sometimes to throw at boxes, I do wish for a return of Ragnarok to the older days where head gears were made with quests. I do understand why we have a cash shop, because Gravity would not be able to survive on just player subscriptions alone. To be honest, without VIP and such the game is a tad bit harder, but not ball breaking, you can still have a decent time without spending any money.

Yeah the BS with the reset stones, and the VIP only stuff is annoying, but you still have access to all the other maps you used to level on anyways. One orc turn in, or Rachel turn in will not kill you in the long run, one stupid hat you don't have +7 is not going to gimp you forever, you will eventually still get your character to whatever level you desire, if you work for it.

And as for me, I don't spend 100+ dollars on RO a month, that'd be lunacy, and for the ones that can afford it, okay, have fun. They're allowed to spend their money like they want to.

#5 DeadlySinner

DeadlySinner

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
  • Server:Classic

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:05 AM

I think some people just have disposable income. Meaning, they have money and may or may not understand the value of a dollar. But, it's their hard earned money, and can do with it what they wish. I'm sure many will agree with me.

#6 Hrothmund

Hrothmund

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:06 AM

hard earned might be debatable :o

Saying someone doesnt know the value of money though because they earn a lot more than someone else is a bit ignorant though.

#7 kotoyuri

kotoyuri

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:17 AM

As long as they're not taking out loans for* it! :o

Edited by kotoyuri, 22 June 2011 - 01:19 AM.

#8 kati3

kati3

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationBehind you
  • Server:Classic

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:25 AM

As long as they're not taking out loans for* it! :o

Made me LOL!

#9 RichestinIRO

RichestinIRO

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

i don't know what to say. we all have different lives to live. not everybody works hard for money. but even if you have all the money in the world, there are some things that just cannot be bought so don't think too much about it.

#10 igzz

igzz

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Locationdown under

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:36 AM

You might want to change your topic title to "what do people think about real money"
Sorry, the grammar just really bothers me

#11 ABK1986

ABK1986

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

$3 per Lucky Boxes was fine, $5 is not. I set my limits because if this game ever shuts down, that could be thousands of dollars down the drain for some people ;) If they ever raise the month cost I most likely won't pay for VIP either.

If I'm bored and have extra money burning a hole in my pocket, I might buy $50-$75 worth of Lucky boxes, but the items aren't tangible, so I've really cut back since I first started. I will just be buying the hats I want from other players this time though, because I could only get 15 boxes for $75 instead of the normal 25 :o

#12 Icey

Icey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

You might want to change your topic title to "what do people think about real money"
Sorry, the grammar just really bothers me

lol, thanks

#13 Wiggles

Wiggles

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 844 posts
  • Server:Ymir (Retired)

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:53 AM

I don't mind spending a bit of cash if it means I get something fun. I'll spontaneously buy a game on Steam or an App store if I think it will give me 10 minutes of entertainment.

But for pretty hats, or medals, or exp manuals... its pretty much garbage really. Even if its the best gear in the game, you know the next months lucky box event will have even better gear. (How are they gonna sell any otherwise?) If you aren't enjoying the game enough so that you have to spend money to make it enjoyable, well, you may aswel quit now or continue to fork over cash.

Haven't bought any lucky boxes since the very first batch. I'm not a tight ass, I have 9 VIP accounts. It just doesn't seem logical to pay for pretty hats that you end up trading in to another NPC for more pretty hats.

#14 Heimdallr

Heimdallr

Too Legit To Quit

• Community Managers
  • 3654 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:59 AM

For me MMOs are my entertainment. I don't restore cars, I don't do a lot of Trips or buying all the latest "things". So my extra goes into things I enjoy which is playing my games. At some point the presence of people on the web through social sites, games and jsut everything is going to be more than 50% of your time, wouldn't you rather invest in something you spend so much time and effort with? I know it seems weird as they are just binary bits of data but at some point conceptually they are as real as a painting on a wall.

That odd view is something that I've been coming to terms with over the past few years, as very interesting spending habits emerge for things like iTunes or MMOs or DLC for console games, its all real, its just you need to use your computer to get access to it.

#15 Icey

Icey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:31 AM

For me MMOs are my entertainment. I don't restore cars, I don't do a lot of Trips or buying all the latest "things". So my extra goes into things I enjoy which is playing my games. At some point the presence of people on the web through social sites, games and jsut everything is going to be more than 50% of your time, wouldn't you rather invest in something you spend so much time and effort with? I know it seems weird as they are just binary bits of data but at some point conceptually they are as real as a painting on a wall.

That odd view is something that I've been coming to terms with over the past few years, as very interesting spending habits emerge for things like iTunes or MMOs or DLC for console games, its all real, its just you need to use your computer to get access to it.

if you don't work for gravity, have some time to spend, and making abt $6k-9k/month. how much money would you spend on RO?

#16 Shunchan

Shunchan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:50 AM

Some people I've met in various mmorpgs I've played spend $1,000+ PER WEEK. Before that I thought spending $200 a month was a lot already.

#17 Kadnya

Kadnya

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:04 AM

I don't think I spend too much on RO, as I'm not a lucky box addict. Most of my RO spending is on VIP, and consumables like upgrading ores, reset stones and manuals, and AR scrolls and other buffs.

It would be super if there could exist a cool game that is free, runs with no lag, amazing graphics, balanced mechanics, no bots and so on... but sadly, neither mr Slim, or mr Gates, or any rich person has planned that game yet. And so, MMOs are still a business.

The problem is, "How much is it oki to charge, and which things in game should our players spend?".

I feel that the best general answer is making cool extra services, like the VIP system, offering extra bonuses for using cash shop items during open events, and some paid convenience services. The bad ideas in what to charge, would be stopping players from doing something if they don't constantly pay. However, is enough income made this way? I don't really know ^^;

I don't totally like how iRO manages this point, but at least we still have a server, unlike other ROs which have closed.

~~~~~~~~

On another point, nobody should feel entitled to have a discount or free things saying that they have a really small income. If you have really a low income, why are you wasting time on a game instead of searching a better job, or preparing/studying in order to find a better paid job?

#18 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:20 AM

I think people worry about what others do too much. Entertainment is different from person to person and as long as it's not self destructive, I don't see the issue. Gravity isn't forcing anyone to buy their goods, they just make it enticing.

#19 Hacks

Hacks

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:21 AM

money has no value. none of it is real. we dont live on a money system, we live on a debt system. each and every federal reserve note we exchange for goods and services on a daily basis represents an amount of debt. the money is only worth as much as people are willing to give for it. $10 in property of any kind is always more valuable than $10 in cash. take gold for instance, 100 years ago, $20 in gold bought a lot. that same quantity of gold today trades for approximately the same amount and quality of goods, a $20 bill however doesnt. this isnt "inflation", this is the simple matter that paper money has no real value and you can only get what others are willing to give for it.

when governments collapse, paper money cant even buy toilet paper. our money's percieved value rests on the promise of our governments to pay on these debts. saving money is a losing idea, as time goes by it buys less and less since our governments just print more and more to pay for the things it wants. if you keep the mindset that money is for spending, not saving, it's not such a big deal. investingbuying things with real value is a smarter idea than letting your money sit in a bank and devalue. land, rare metals, guns and ammunition are all good investments against paper money. it is important to remember though, if you want to keep what you have, you might have to fight for it. through the course of history, it's not hard to see that governments have gone door to door in the past, confiscating all these things for one reason or another, and in those recent cases where paper money is used, it was cheaper to wipe your ass with the bills than buy toilet paper.

spend your money, dont whine about it, just enjoy it while you can.

#20 Jimmyawake

Jimmyawake

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

You also gotta consider the age of people that play ro. I have been playing off and on for over 6 years now. I was 22 year old kid when I first started playing, and now I'm almost 30years old. Im not a rich person and i do know the value of a dollar because i have been in the military for quite some time. On my time off i like to spend money on stuff I like RO that entertians me. Throughout my RO career im assuming my total is cash value spent is between 2-4k dollars. The Amount isnt a big deal cause if i didnt spend it on RO i would have spent that money on something else. Its not like I would have invested that 2-4k dollars, I would have just spent it on something else wether that be a cheeseburger or a TV.

Edited by Jimmyawake, 22 June 2011 - 04:24 AM.

#21 1408510590

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:28 AM

dude you really made me change my decision about spending money on this game. i spent like 100$ today on lucky boxes and i only gotten like nearly even 100m zeny gained back from it when it can be sold for 350-450 million zeny tradeable in game. Really tho i worked hard for this money and i thought i would actually find some meaning to spending it on this game. Maybe its the lucky boxes lol but it got me so unlucky that for reals man. i aint ever spending a penny on this game ever again. I should have spend that money at the strip club or something ><. But yea. to all you people who spend money on this game shame on you D: but shame on me as well.

#22 Rutana

Rutana

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 1553 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

I'm not drinking, I don't go out and party, I'm not obsessed with clothing and shoes, I don't smoke or do any other drugs.
Few years ago, I spent the money I had in Mangas. Today I spend this money in RO.
I don't see a problem with it. I play RO for 7 years now, that's more as most of the other games I have for console or pc gave me. I have fun and it's worth for me.
Still, I now my borders. I don't spent all my money in it, but what I think is a fair ammount for me and my income each month.

...also, the currencie change helps a lot. 5 USD are 3,48 Euro. Sum it up and you see that the prices for me aren't that high ^^

#23 KKWL

KKWL

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

Max I'd ever spend for online games is probably $20. Rest of my money goes to my hobbies which consist of buying super-cool-expensive-toys-which-will-never-be-opened-because-i-have-no-awesome-display-case. I also spend money on iTunes games (only if they are $1!), Steam games whenever there is a sale and whatever games I forgot to buy for my consoles.

I also don't have a job so learning how to hold out on buying something wasn't easy to do but I managed to pull that off.

#24 zellyen

zellyen

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

Young kids on here who spend that much money just have no value of money and are spoiled by their parents.

College students here with support from their parents are most likely the same in that they have their rent and tuition paid for by their parents so they use whatever they earn or their allowance on RO.

Lastly, those who are already well off in society can spend their money however they like cuz they make a crap ton.

I, on the other hand, am in debt from attending dental school and wont be dropping more than 15 dollars per month on RO anytime soon lol

#25 ikeren

ikeren

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Locationchicity
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

I've played RO on/off since I was 12, and since last year when they started pumping the p2p aspect of it I've been kinda buttmad.
But that was before I actually got a job and have money to spend now. (parents pay my rent/tuition/food...huhu)
I still can't justify spending more than what I pay for VIP and 5-10 bucks on micro transactions every couple months.
Maybe once Gravity updates the kafra shop with more worthwhile things instead of this gambling 50-100$++ sh)t on boxes will I actually spend more money on here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users